Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs.ie Security Breached.

Options
  • 28-03-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Just got an email from Jobs.ie that they let someone illegally download my CV.

What possible actions can or should I take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Action in regards to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Im not sure...

Trying to make sure im not a victim of identity theft I guess, should I notify my bank or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Are your bank details on your CV?

I'm presuming the only sensitive information you could possibly have on your CV that would lead to identity theft is your name and date of birth. That can be found out from a lot of places. I'd say your ok, although it is bad form by jobs.ie.

Maybe someone else out there has a better idea of how info on a CV could be used for identity theft. I can't think of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

You need to get more information on the breach, was it social engineering, or was the site compromised.

Was it just you, or have other CVs been targetted.

Definetely tell your bank of this issue, but they mainly ask data like " Mothers Surname" as they are not normally stored on CVs.

Thanks for the heads up, and keep us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Has anyone else received this email from Jobs.ie? I'm a bit worried now....can things be done with the information on my CV??

Dear ..........

I am writing to bring your attention to a security breach on Jobs.ie which occurred yesterday evening. Although this breach was identified and stopped quickly, a small number of CVs were illegally downloaded. Unfortunately your CV was one of the records taken. I understand and apologise for the concern this will cause you and I want to assure you that we are taking steps to prevent this happening again.

In the meantime I urge you to exercise extra caution while conducting online activity.
    To help you avoid risk, please follow these key online safety tips:
    • Reputable companies do not request personal details by email, if a company contacts you do not give any personal information until you have established they are legitimate
    • Never give out personal banking information
    • Do not share your passwords with anyone
    • Do not open email attachments if you are suspicious, especially .exe files.
    A dedicated 24 hour customer helpline has been set up to deal with any further questions or concerns you may have. Please call +353 (0)1 680 8699 or email info@jobs.ie

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or distress caused.

Yours sincerely,

Huw Taylor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My boyfriends CV was taken too. Basically, the were illegally downloaded from the site and they caught it pretty fast apparently.

Could someone not use your CV to get a job?? Some people put their PPSN on the CV because so many companies ask for them on application forms these days. That could be stolen and used for identity theft...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It seems that recruiters are really scrapping the barrel these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

moved to work&jobs from consumer issues

I got one too. When they say a small number of CV's were taken it looks like it's a lot more than that. Kind of freaked out. I mean what can someone do with just my name, address, phone number and past employment?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My was taken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Just checked my email account............I got one too :( Oh well, a few weeks of cold calls and spam, hopefully nothing too bad comes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Mine too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Catalyst2222

Has anyone tried requesting their password from jobs.ie?

I got the email too but I wasn't sure I ever uploaded a CV to the site, so I went to jobs.ie, clicked on 'forgot password'. I then received an email saying I didn't have a password for this site.

Seeing as how you need a password in order to upload your CV this doesn't make sense.

Or have everyone's passwords been scrubbed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Mine was taken also. Somehow I get the impression it was more than a small number of CV's.

I'm a bit annoyed as my mobile was on it but my email address was a college one, soon to be defunct.

Come to think of it they now know my leaving cert, college results, address, phone numbers, D.O.B. and what schools I went to, yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

tribulus wrote: »
    Mine was taken also. Somehow I get the impression it was more than a small number of CV's.

I'm a bit annoyed as my mobile was on it but my email address was a college one, soon to be defunct.

Come to think of it they now know my leaving cert, college results, address, phone numbers, D.O.B. and what schools I went to, yikes.

I was just reading this post and i got slightly supisous so i checked my e-mail account and i also have the above e-mail.

I think this is a serious breach by jobs.ie. I was wondering has anyone acutally tried calling the telephone number?

MY CV has all my personal details like address, telephone number....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

I too got that e-mail... Its horrible to think that someone out there knows where i live, what my phone number is, where i used to work, my D.O.B & my qualifications etc. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Likewise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Yeah, got one too. Does seem to be a bit more than "a small number"...:(

I'm getting more and more worried about this now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Gnome wrote: »
    Yeah, got one too. Does seem to be a bit more than "a small number"...:(
    A small number of users is only ever small relative to the number of users there are. Its also a term largely used for damage limitation purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I got the email too but I wasn't sure I ever uploaded a CV to the site, so I went to jobs.ie, clicked on 'forgot password'. I then received an email saying I didn't have a password for this site.

Me too - had the same result - although I never had my CV there. I did have a job search email notification setup at one point.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

A small number of users is only ever small relative to the number of users there are. Its also a term largely used for damage limitation purposes.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Now that I think about it I don't think I ever uploaded my CV, I've only ever attached it. Does anyone know if an attached CV is stored? Either that or they're covering their bases and emailing everyone.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

me 3. im ringing the 24 hour helpline...hold music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you applied for a job via Jobs.ie, your CV is on their server.

Jobsites like normally work like this -

1. You apply for a job.
    2. The employer receives an e-mail with your CV attached.
    3. Your CV is also archived online in the employer's jobsite account

Bear in mind the likes of Monster.ie allow employers/agencies to search their CV database (for a fee), so your CV could easily get into the wrong hands that way too.

In fairness to Jobs.ie, a determined hacker could probably break into any computer system (whether via technical or social engineering means.)

As a programmer myself, I would imagine every CV is stored in the same folder, so all you need is to get access to that folder and you've got yourself hundreds of thousands of CVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

i got this too, this is scary- i wont be getting any cold calls cos i only just changed my phone number- but my email addy and all is on it- thankfully not my pps no. why would people want to take CVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

My gf got one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

why would people want to take CVs?

Personal information is valuable.

Example:

If I was a recruitment agency, I would love to get my hands on a few hundred thousand Irish CVs. Not only would I have a potential jobseeker I could head hunt, but I would also have contact names for potential clients from the referee section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

I got a mail as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I got the email too... :(

Sue for breach of contract?

Advertisement