Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jobs.ie Security Breached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

board om wrote: »
    i never said it did. you really should READ the posts fully and not just glance over them. is english your first language?

You're very argumentative board om. Normally the Work & Jobs forum is a relaxed place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I never got an e-mail so at least one CV wasn't downloaded ;)

Or they forgot to let me know. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hands up I'm keeping it going, too. So I'll quit harping on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jgalvin

Hi everyone,

My company based in Cork is working on a solution to protect job seekers' personal information online. We have written a bit about the dangers of hacked job boards and what can be done here - http://www.glandoresystems.com/blog/ or you can read a bit more on http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10646 . Major leaks on job boards like this are a much more common occurrence than most people would expect, but people are very rarely informed of the breach.

I have sent private messages to some of the users who were affected by the jobs.ie breach because we intend to follow up on the issue of job seeker privacy and security, and we are looking for some opinions and statements from people who have been affected or who are worried about their personal information. Could you let me know if you've been affected, you can leave a comment on the blog or send me a private message or an email.

Thanks,
    James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SGTdewdew

jobs.ie are idiots.
    You'd think that out of all those CV's, they'd spot a genius hacker
    who knew how to avoid an identical security breach...
    Idiots

• Advertisement

SGTdewdew wrote: »
    jobs.ie are idiots.
    You'd think that out of all those CV's, they'd spot a genius hacker
    who knew how to avoid an identical security breach...
    Idiots

Nah, that's harsh. A determinded hacker can probably hack into any system.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭justmehere

I got the email that my CV was taken as well What is really annoying me though is that I have rang them 5 times already requesting a copy of my CV - I can't never remember sending it to them so I want to know what information is there. But I keep getting fobbed off. I was also told on Sun that 47,000 CVs were downloaded...I see DAnlee was told 60,000, on Mon. Thread post #135

So what's on the typical CV? Home phone, mobile phone, date of birth, address, email, work history, and references. Everything else, while it's not pleasant details being "out in the wild", is pretty meaningless stuff that you could make up if you wanted to (people don't do that on CVs though ).

As pointed out on previous posts, you can't get anything without official proof - and coming in with a CV to your bank manager or car dealer is not going to get you a loan or a car :-) I suppose the more sophisticated could use this information in forging of "official" documents, but given so many millions of very detailed info was stolen in the UK recently, I don't think basic info on a CV is really anything to worry about or even possible - how many students used dodgy id cards?

In the worse case scenario I think it's a possible starting point to phishing for more info, but most people - certainly those that would use an online recruitment agency in the first place - should have enough cop-on to spot those a mile away. Dodgy phone calls would be my next concern (home/mobile phones). But unless you're dead, you know not to give out your bank details over the phone.

Can anyone else think of what could be realistically done with CV data? Could they ring up a bank claiming to be you - they have your name, address, and DOB and ask for say a change of address on your account? Would banks hand over money if someone came into the bank personally, claiming to have forgotten their ATM card, but coudl still give your details to the teller (name/address/DOB)?

Any article I've read about this situation with jobs.ie said be careful of mainly phishing; very little about what could be done with the information alone as it stands on the CV, which I suspect is negligible?

So in summary of my own view, obviously not happy that it happened, but not overly concerned to negative consequences so long as I stay awake when someone asks for bank/cc details over the phone . Two minds about whether to go to the gardai or not, just to report it? Also not happy at jobs.ie reluctance/delay in sending out my CV - perhaps it's the volume of calls they're dealing with, so I will keep you updated. Have asked them to remove it from their system permanently also.
    Also not happy at jobs.ie reluctance/delay in sending out my CV - perhaps it's the volume of calls they're dealing with, so I will keep you updated.
    Rang for the 6th time - still getting fobbed off when requesting my CV - why??? Surely they must have worked thru' the backlog of phone-calls by now!? Am I getting parnoid or is the faint smell of a rat lurking somewhere?

Has anyone else tried requesting their CV be emailed to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I've gotten 2 mails from recruitment agencies I hadn't signed up to before since the jobs.ie data breach. And these are agencies that are on jobs.ie.

Did you have your CV registered on the CV databases of any other jobsites - Monster, IrishJobs.ie, Recruit Ireland? Perhaps an agency picked up your details from these databases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 foxyscot08

Well it didnt take long a week to be precise and i have had 2 fake bank phone calls and 2 emails from banks i have never had any dealings with so if it eases anyones mind i dont expect these people will get too far as long as you are alert .

In the past i have had a couple of these from fake ebay and fake paypal but very ironic my details are downloaded and suddenly 4 in the last 7 days.:eek:

The calls i received were from the "fake"AIB who called from an unobtainable number which when i asked them for more info and verification we got cut off - i have since reported this to the aib. I have to say i am amazed at the brazenness of these people.

The emails are coming looking like the halifax bank to verify details i have also since forwarded these to the halifax to make aware that they are being used by our jobs.ie scammers

So just be on your guard and dont be stupid enough give any info!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 windy

email lists get sold around the world, so 60,000 email addresses would have a value.....I would suspect you'll get plenty of phishing emails over the next while......

But, bright spot - you'll probably also win a lotto you never even entered or have someone want to transfer a large amount of money into your accont :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 foxyscot08

windy wrote: »
    email lists get sold around the world, so 60,000 email addresses would have a value.....I would suspect you'll get plenty of phishing emails over the next while......

But, bright spot - you'll probably also win a lotto you never even entered or have someone want to transfer a large amount of money into your accont :)

hey windy very true i may also get asked to help some political exile from outer mongolia who has been overthrown from power and needs money to save the people - yup i had that one too last year ;)

you do normally get one every now and again but 4 in a matter of days and by different mediums is a pain in the a%^e

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

Hey, I don't know how to say it, but since my cv was stolen I was called by 2 agencies in Galway, do you think is a coincidence or am I very very very lucky this week? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hey, I don't know how to say it, but since my cv was stolen I was called by 2 agencies in Galway, do you think is a coincidence or am I very very very lucky this week? :D

You are entitled to ask them (and receive an answer) where they got your information.
    FYI :)

WizZard wrote: »
    You are entitled to ask them (and receive an answer) where they got your information.
    FYI :)
    Well....I have the cv uploaded on almost all the job websites, but wasn't too much action in the last period. I guess the luck decided finally to meet me :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wasn't that the point of putting of putting it up there in the first place? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

by any chance did they both call about the same job? because if that was the case they may have had your CV on file and some company might now be looking for someone with your skillset, hence them both calling you. more importantly, do you remember ever actually applying for positions with those agencys before so that they would have your CV in the first place?

if it is a case that someone bought the 60,000 CVs, they would be pretty stupid to be calling them already. you would think they would at least wait a few weeks or months for everything to blow over.

board om wrote: »
    by any chance did they both call about the same job?
    No, not the same job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 claireb66

Only the Department of Social and Family Affairs can provide you with a PPS No. Contact your local social welfare office about applying for a PPS No. Your local social welfare office may assist you with your application or they may direct you to another social welfare office.

If you do not know your PPS No., contact your local social welfare office and staff there will find your number for you.

If you are unsure as to whether a particular organisation, person or agent is entitled to request or use your PPS No., you should contact the Department of Social and Family Affairs at (01) 704 3236 or e-mail cis@welfare.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Can I ask, did this only happen to people who were registered to jobs.ie or what? I applied for a job through this site but was not registered? Haven't recieved any e-mails yet ( fingers crossed i hope i still don't), but i did e-mail my cv to the agency a month ago through this site.

No one knows for certain. Details are scant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

hi gidget, i never registered on jobs.ie but i got this email. i sent my cv directly to an employer through the site around 2/3 years ago! grr. anyway if you didn't get an email you're grand, nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

I got an email too, and I'm not a registered user. I did apply for jobs through the site, and that's apparently how it happened. It does make me a little nervous, but nothing untoward has happened. No unexpected calls or anything like that. I'm just glad I didn't put my PPS number on it, just in case. I've seen plenty of CVs that have had it. They're being very cagey about the actual number, which I think is pretty bad form, as it really does seem to be an awful lot.

I'm a blood donor, and my details were taken there too. I know the chances of anything happening are pretty slim, but it makes me uncomfortable.:(

AlexBM wrote: »
    I'm a blood donor, and my details were taken there too. I know the chances of anything happening are pretty slim, but it makes me uncomfortable.:(

You obviously haven't seen The Lost Boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

dublindude wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen The Lost Boys.

LOL...I haven't, but I've just found out what it's all about...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Had a cold call today. Girl, sounded foreign, said to be ringing from AIB I think. Asked for my bank details. I'm not even with AIB. I laughed at her and hung up. I wonder if it's connected to the CV being stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The_Edge wrote: »
    Had a cold call today. Girl, sounded foreign, said to be ringing from AIB I think. Asked for my bank details. I'm not even with AIB. I laughed at her and hung up. I wonder if it's connected to the CV being stolen?
    I'd say it'd be very hard to figure that out. Everyone should keep their guard up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I was registered and didnt get an email ...
    Kinda feel left out now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Keep getting spammed by a particular job website that I never signed up to.
    No link in the email to unsubscribe either :mad:

bronte wrote: »
    Keep getting spammed by a particular job website that I never signed up to.
    No link in the email to unsubscribe either :mad:

An Irish jobsite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I think it's Irish, Myjob.ie? Not sure actually :confused:

Advertisement