Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jobs.ie Security Breached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AB25

Which is exactly what i said, you cant sue unless you can prove it.

That last comment was for MACHABELLA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

got one of these emails too. am so worried and stressed out now i literally feel sick :( i'm so careful about shredding any letter even with my address on it, so this is a nightmare! i rang the helpline out of curiosity but they didn't know anything about it. i am afraid now people could take out loans or credit cards in my name, with the data on the cv and a bit of social engineering.

ntlbell wrote: »
    get a tooth filled on the cheap and collect your butter vouchers ;)

Ha Ha thats funny!:D

Dublindude you are correct,
    I called last night as i was curious how they could be so stupid and knew it was more then a few that was downloaded.

I was told that someone ( hacker i think) got access to a staff memebers log on details and that is how they downloaded the information ( through a server me thinks ). I was told that there was an investigation under way and i would get futhrer updates.

Little Devil- thank you for sharing that. The nitwits should be telling everyone more about whats going on.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One interesting question. Is there anyone here who has looked at this thread and used Jobs.ie but not received the notification. I can't recall anyone posting to say that they were unaffected. Currently it looks like either we're an unusual sample group or the percentage of their CVs that was compromised was pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

my partner used it the same time as i and he didn't get any notification. :-/

Ok guys on the subject of fraud, i have to say the following happened to me:
    my boyfriend and i lived in a flat in galway. we had a couple move in next door guy was canadian. acted like he was our best friend and was so annoyingly friendly. anyway he had been watching our post and stole my bf laser card and said that his own credit card was taken and made him be his alibi. guards later told us he had done time for theft/fraud in canada and was known for this kind of thing where they move quickly on and befriend another couple and robbed them again.
    The guards in galway are total p**ks by the way. Maybe im just paranoid but people who do this fraud thing are very, very clever. I dont think you can be too careful. At the end of the day, its money they are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

One interesting question. Is there anyone here who has looked at this thread and used Jobs.ie but not received the notification. I can't recall anyone posting to say that they were unaffected. Currently it looks like either we're an unusual sample group or the percentage of their CVs that was compromised was pretty high.

or they emailed eveyone that has used their site and whose email they have on record to cover there asses. this would be the most likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

AB25 wrote: »
    The guards in galway are total p**ks by the way.
    Lets not generalise or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

board om wrote: »
    or they emailed eveyone that has used their site and whose email they have on record to cover there asses. this would be the most likely scenario.
    I thought that they would have done this at first but the e-mail says "Unfortunately your CV was one of the records taken". I don't see how anyone sane would send that out to all their customers if only a portion of the CVs were compromised. Also, they do quite clearly say on their site notice that customers who didn't receive an e-mail were unaffected.

foxyscot08 wrote: »
    hey leeroy i take your point - however when i called the guardi to ask for their opinion and advice they did say that it is a good idea to be reported and they take it seriously - although there is very little they can do

Often with credit card fraud and skimming fraud for example the process to prove that it you are actually a victim can often be lengthy and the reason this type of fraud/identity fraud is on the increase is due to people being UNAWARE someone is using their details.

For info this is so widespread in the uk there are identity theft insurance policies in place (direct line RBOS)and one of the major factors relating to this is reporting that you may have had your details compromised immediately to the relevant authority-

when i reported to the garda that my car had been vandalised during the night they said i was right to report it and that they would take it very seriously. in other words ""what the hell do i expect them to do about it?" they are hardly going to say stop wasting our time, we are busy watching 'the bill', are they? im sorry but what do you expect them to do?

one of the necessites for credit card skimming is your credit card. so unless that was attached to your CV then i think you are safe enough on that one.

as for people go through bins in the UK with the intentions of stealing information, the kind of thing they are looking for is bank and credit card statements. your name and address isnt going to be enough.

and so what if they haver you PPS number? so they call the revenue with your PPS number, your name and your address? what then? are you afraid they may ask how much tax you paid in 1998? thats about as much as they can do.

going on what ntlbell said earlier, we should be on the look out for 'a computer nerd with great teeth and lots of butter' :)

Sherifu wrote: »
    Lets not generalise or anything.
    Well they are from my experience.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well they are from my experience.:)
    Never had any serious dealings with them thankfully.

when i reported to the garda that my car had been vandalised during the night they said i was right to report it and that they would take it very seriously. in other words ""what the hell do i expect them to do about it?" they are hardly going to say stop wasting our time, we are busy watching 'the bill', are they? im sorry but what do you expect them to do?

one of the necessites for credit card skimming is your credit card. so unless that was attached to your CV then i think you are safe enough on that one.

as for people go through bins in the UK with the intentions of stealing information, the kind of thing they are looking for is bank and credit card statements. your name and address isnt going to be enough.

and so what if they haver you PPS number? so they call the revenue with your PPS number, your name and your address? what then? are you afraid they may ask how much tax you paid in 1998? thats about as much as they can do.

going on what ntlbell said earlier, we should be on the look out for 'a computer nerd with great teeth and lots of butter' :)

Hmm ...all im saying is that alot can be done with your PPS number. The point i was making is that fraud is easily done with enough information.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Never had any serious dealings with them thankfully.

Ha me neither.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭fiveone

Me too.

Anyone any info on how exactly to cancel the account removing all information? Doesn't seem to be a link on the site and no word from "info" yet

Im not sure there is one. im just hoping nothing comes of this. :confused:

Was just on the data protection commissioners website:

However, if you suffer damage through the mishandling of your personal information, then you may be entitled to claim compensation separately through the Courts. Section 7 of the Data Protection Acts, 1988 and 2003, makes it clear that organisations who hold your personal data owe you a duty of care.

Well good to know..............:)

Hmm ...all im saying is that alot can be done with your PPS number. The point i was making is that fraud is easily done with enough information.

apart from ask how much tax you paid they cant do very much else with it. when was the last time outside of the revenue that you needed your PPS number? the only other informaton that they will have by calling the revenue is your address and date of birth, which is sitting on your CV anyway.

i think people are seriously over reacting about this. yes, i would be very pi**ed off about it happening. acutally, i would be furious. but as for card skimming, and taking out loans in your name, and identity theft, and email hacking, etc i think its a bit OTT. if someone had their bank account details and credit card number on their CV then i would be worried. but as that isnt too likely i wouldnt be panicing too much,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Look at it this way, some turd had the ability to get a loan or buy a car in your name. They have you name, address, phone number, your work history. Priceless. That's why I went to the guards, just in case.

apart from ask how much tax you paid they cant do very much else with it. when was the last time outside of the revenue that you needed your PPS number? the only other informaton that they will have by calling the revenue is your address and date of birth, which is sitting on your CV anyway.

i think people are seriously over reacting about this. yes, i would be very pi**ed off about it happening. acutally, i would be furious. but as for card skimming, and taking out loans in your name, and identity theft, and email hacking, etc i think its a bit OTT. if someone had their bank account details and credit card number on their CV then i would be worried. but as that isnt too likely i wouldnt be panicing too much,

PPS number can be can be used for social welfare reasons also. I think that at the end of the day people have a right to be concerned and are entitled to react as much as they like.

I made no reference to card skimming earlier either, the card i was talking about was actually taken with the pin no. no skimming device there!

Galen wrote: »
    Look at it this way, some turd had the ability to get a loan or buy a car in your name. They have you name, address, phone number, your work history. Priceless. That's why I went to the guards, just in case.

yep i agree with that. its easy to get a loan with hardly any information.

PPS number can be can be used for social welfare reasons also. I think that at the end of the day people have a right to be concerned and are entitled to react as much as they like.

as for email hacking alot of people use their date of birth, for example, as email password. they would have email address of everyone as it was submitted via email. it wouldnt be hard to guess.
    Also identity theft happens alot if anyone else is going to the guards just ask them.
    Finally the PPS number can be used for alot of things that extend well beyond the tax office, you need it when applying for a passport for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would you have your PPS on your CV? :confused:

as for email hacking alot of people use their date of birth, for example, as email password. they would have email address of everyone as it was submitted via email. it wouldnt be hard to guess.
    Also identity theft happens alot if anyone else is going to the guards just ask them.
    Finally the PPS number can be used for alot of things that extend well beyond the tax office, you need it when applying for a passport for example.

what your missing though is everything like you passport, social welfare, bank accounts, etc all have your address. so unless this crafty hacker is going to go and apply for all these things and then sit outside your house for the next month waiting on the post man, i dont think it is of any real worry.

for example:

passport - needs not just you PPS, name, address, etc they would also need mothers maiden name, copy of birth cert, and lots of other information. and the new passport would be sent to your address so not much use fto mr hacker. plus if you already have a passport then they can not apply for another one without great difficulty.

banl loan - they would need to open a new bank account for this which would require a passport, which we already know isnt going to happen.

social welfare - it is difficult enough to obtain socail welfare when you are actually entitled to it and it is genuinely you applying, i can only imagine how difficult it would be for someone pretending to be you to get it.

BostonB wrote: »

some foreigners do it. i think it is to show that they are legal to work in ireland when applying for the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

some foreigners do it. i think it is to show that they are legal to work in ireland when applying for the position.

You need more than a PPS to avail of social welfare and other services, and to able to work here. So many people give the wrong ones, by mistake and deliberately they cross check everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

BostonB wrote: »

I was thinking this myself.

Why have anything personal on it.

Mine has my name and my phone number that;s it.

There's no real need for your age pps address or anything else

Advertisement