Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Amhrán na bhFiann at the end of a Gig?

Options
  • 26-03-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Im curious to know dose any DJ play the Anthem at the end of a Gig? Depends on the venue I would be playing I would sometimes have to put it on to make a statement that the night is over.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Maybe in the super cheesey country dissgooo's but you would never ever hear it in any reputable bar or club

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭just pete

interesting topic.... I always play it but hate doing so ,I am irish and I do love my country and all that other stuff but it just pisses me off having to play it at the end of a night. If you dont play it then all the drunkin fools proceed to the dj booth to wreck my head about it....:mad: I only play the last 20 seconds anyway, and still find the complaints roll in.

One manager asked me not to play it at the end, dont know what his reason was but i was not complaining.

When the ugly lights come on, they should know its time to go home :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have an Eire Og version, usually goes down well in country pubs and bike rallies. The cops came in one night to shut the show down, they were very arrogant, I had pleasure cranking up the volume and playing the full length of this tune. They wouldn't dare tell me to lower the volume :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Seriosuly? Wow. Ok I have only ever been to a few clubs outside Dublin, but I only ever remember it being played once or twice in my life, and that would have been down the boglands.

Someone try it in POD, Tripod, Traffic etc and see what happens ;)

@Zascar

Your dead right, towns outside the citys love the flippin thing. All standing, arms behind the back roaring it out facing the booth.

aaaaaaagh gives me crabs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been asked *not* to play it by managers more often than I've been asked to play it. Have a copy on me but would usually try to judge the crowd. And generally not play it.

I can imagine it being played at a typical country pub, but please tell me no respectable DJ would actually consider playing it after a proper night of house/techno/electro etc etc

Would they?

In the hills of Donegal, possibly. One of the places I was asked to play it was a trance night up there...

had you a trance mix of it ? :D

I was asked to play it three times in a row by the manager of a pub in Tipparary at a 21st because a few guys were chatting and wouldn't stand up! they finally got the hint!.

• Advertisement

thats like people coming up to you asking you play a song again coz they was out in the smoking area - tough luck princess

just pete wrote: »
    had you a trance mix of it ? :D

You've me tempted now... *heads to Logic Studio*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

The pub covers band I play in had this problem recently.....got a gig out in a place that would have made Craggy Island look like a cosmopolitan metropolis.... None of us had played it..together anyway...so we just stuck on the iPod we had at the ready........was so tempted to have "Ghost Town" queued up :)

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Finally managed to persuade the last manager of a venue to NOT make me play it in the club. I haven't played it before then excpet at weddings (because it is both customary and in most cases expected). Otherwise, I don't play it, don't like playing it, and I think it is sad to play it - patriotism or not.

Seanie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A room full of drunk people is not an appropriate place to play our anthem, despite my pride in the anthem and my country I don't think it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I only Dj weddings. SO i have to be careful of whom I am playing it too. If both bride and groom are Irish then I do. If one or both ain't then it depends. Gotta be careful if your close to the boarder etc.

Its a great way to end the night and to signal "Its all Over". Only been asked not to play it once or twice but in general it always goes down well. I've played it all over the country but i agree for normal nights out its not played....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i always forget about this whole thing until i head down the sticks.

I think it is completely inappropriate to play the national anthem at the end of a night out.

I only Dj weddings. SO i have to be careful of whom I am playing it too. If both bride and groom are Irish then I do. If one or both ain't then it depends. Gotta be careful if your close to the boarder etc.

Its a great way to end the night and to signal "Its all Over". Only been asked not to play it once or twice but in general it always goes down well. I've played it all over the country but i agree for normal nights out its not played....
    I was at a wedding near Newry Co Down at the height of the troubles, was interested to see what Anthem would be played, in the end it was left it out altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I am from the UK and if we played the national anthem we would probably gotten lynched! I was surprised when i first went to my local and heard it. I did stand of course as I didn't want to offend anybody and I would expect the same from anyone in my country.

I have played it at a few gigs I used to do out in Skerries, but usually the older ones, not a 21st! The gigs I do at the strand house on north strand I play it, but I have an american guy who did a voice over for me saying 'ladies & gentlemen, that concludes tonight's entertainment, would you please stand for the national anthem' LOL I don't do any MCing as most people there just want to dance, sing or fall over and wouldn't appreciate and englishman waffling!

It's great, turn up, play for 2hrs, no talking, get paid, go home! :D The good thing about using MP3s is you can see how long the song has got before the end! At least I know when I can turn everything off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I don't play Amhrán na bhFiann at all and have never been asked for it and play lot's of gigs throughout leinster. I always hated hearing it whenever I was out but it's handy to have a copy somewhere if your client requests it.

I've been finishing gigs with 'don't stop believing' recently and it goes down great. Did a mate's wedding on monday and thought I had till 2.30 for the set but the owner told me to finish up at 2 so I dragged it out a bit and finished with Journey on loop for about 8 minutes. He was freaking but couldn't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I was at a wedding near Newry Co Down at the height of the troubles, was interested to see what Anthem would be played, in the end it was left it out altogether!

Exactly, you can open a can of worms if you have the wrong crowd. If in doubt I would never play it. Any time I did play it I had not an ounce of trouble. Most Hotels take it for the cue to turn on the lights etc.

Must try Journey to finish, most give N. Diamonds "Sweet Caroline". Think I'll change it for the years gigs...

I've had to play funky German Folk/Techno music, that was gas....

Oh and Faithless Insomnia too....I enjoyed that one.

Exactly, you can open a can of worms if you have the wrong crowd. If in doubt I would never play it. Any time I did play it I had not an ounce of trouble. Most Hotels take it for the cue to turn on the lights etc.

Must try Journey to finish, most give N. Diamonds "Sweet Caroline". Think I'll change it for the years gigs...

I would have no hesitation playing the Anthem in the 26 counties and have done so despite what I thought of the crowd or pub landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

mark kavanagh was playing in a club just outside dundalk, years ago, and at all these gigs in this club they always played the nation anthem, but he didn't and bottles were being throwing up at the DJ box :eek:

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    The good thing about using MP3s is you can see how long the song has got before the end! At least I know when I can turn everything off!

I believe CDJs have done that since day one, as do the majority of even cheap-arse all-in-one deck/mixer units... Generally it requires tapping a 'time' button!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Pleaseeeee folks FFS there's a time and place for our National Anthem and at Club/Rave nites is not one of them period.:eek::eek:

jonny68 wrote: »
    Pleaseeeee folks FFS there's a time and place for our National Anthem and at Club/Rave nites is not one of them period.:eek::eek:
    It is you want everyone to shut up for a few minutes and then go home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

give it a go anyhow, you won't regret it...

My weirdest memory is of playing romanian music at a wedding in meath. The groom (romanian) was going to make a cd for me to play some stuff from but he lost it and luckily one of his guests had some stuff with them. Mad! They all got in a circle and were kicking their legs out and shouting. Reminds me of that russian dance with the guys with the folded arms. Have pictures on my phone of it still :D The irish guest spent most of their time outside smoking so I played over an hour of the stuff.

As for djing weddings in america...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

I wouldnt play it in a pub or club EVER. But at private functions I have especially after I got threatened by a group of lunatics out of their faces on ecstasy. Having a group of angry men in your face calling you a "Rangers Scoombag" and an "Orange Bol#%x" as you try to leave is not what I want at a gig. And also there were no bouncers around to back me up. I have learned since then that if you want to end a night its a great way of letting drunk people know you are finished. Mind you the best finishing tune I heard was the DJ in "Toast" in Rathmines who used to play the "Duelling Banjos" theme from Deliverance. Great way to finish!

• Advertisement

"Duelling Banjos" theme from Deliverance. Great way to finish!
    That track will only get them back out on to the floor again, the whole idea of a finishing tune is to get them leave the venue, Something from Daniel O'Donnell would be more appropriate :D

Advertisement