Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Amhrán na bhFiann at the end of a Gig?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

I have found that either Art of Noise "Moments in Love" or The Orb's "little Fluffy Clouds" can work a treat in getting people out of a Pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭disc

was payed for 3 months just to play the national anthem , yeah we had guest dj's in and i had to stand around til the end of the night just to play the anthem

but i don't play it now , i don't even have it in my case , i wouldn't even play it at a weddings ,

i always thought it was silly , and had an ass lecture me on how we fought the brittish just to play the anthem at the end of a disco , :D:D:D

oh the place was full of polish people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

can't believe this still goes on to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

A room full of drunk people is not an appropriate place to play our anthem, despite my pride in the anthem and my country I don't think it should be done.

Here here (unless said room is a pub lounge pre match. Even then it should be on tv only :) )

Dont get me wrong, I like the anthem at the right time. International matches, boxing etc etc (one of the reasons I cant put any national pride into rugby is the anthem thing tbh, tell the nordies to get over themselves or else set up their own team!). Country nightclubs with ropey armed cnuts who think/wish they are in the IRA is not the place to do it. Any regular nightclub (i.e. not a trance night, house night, just your local type) should end on some dance classics, if they dont the DJ isnt worth a sh1t tbh.
    sweetie wrote: »
    I've been finishing gigs with 'don't stop believing' recently and it goes down great.

:rolleyes:

Why did the Sopranos

a- Have to go out on such a sh1t ending

b- Have to resurrect a song that nobody had even heard in 25 odd years and restore it to national anthem status

Still though, in conclusion the only places Ive ever heard it is down the sticks or dives in Dublin that are like down the sticks pubs/clubs in exile (Coppers etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

shane86 wrote: »
    Here here (unless said room is a pub lounge pre match. Even then it should be on tv only :) )

Dont get me wrong, I like the anthem at the right time. International matches, boxing etc etc (one of the reasons I cant put any national pride into rugby is the anthem thing tbh, tell the nordies to get over themselves or else set up their own team!). Country nightclubs with ropey armed cnuts who think/wish they are in the IRA is not the place to do it. Any regular nightclub (i.e. not a trance night, house night, just your local type) should end on some dance classics, if they dont the DJ isnt worth a sh1t tbh.

:rolleyes:

Why did the Sopranos

a- Have to go out on such a sh1t ending

b- Have to resurrect a song that nobody had even heard in 25 odd years and restore it to national anthem status

Still though, in conclusion the only places Ive ever heard it is down the sticks or dives in Dublin that are like down the sticks pubs/clubs in exile (Coppers etc etc)

/digression

a- some people liked the ending of sopranos

b- some people like the song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

National Anthem is expected at the end of a Wedding...... Thats a fact. Every other type of gig I'd not bother unless asked...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'd say it probably goes back to the times of Dances and Ceili's and Showbands. But it really doesn't finish off a club night well. There's a time and a place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I am from the UK and if we played the national anthem we would probably gotten lynched! I was surprised when i first went to my local and heard it. I did stand of course as I didn't want to offend anybody and I would expect the same from anyone in my country.

I have played it at a few gigs I used to do out in Skerries, but usually the older ones, not a 21st! The gigs I do at the strand house on north strand I play it, but I have an american guy who did a voice over for me saying 'ladies & gentlemen, that concludes tonight's entertainment, would you please stand for the national anthem' LOL I don't do any MCing as most people there just want to dance, sing or fall over and wouldn't appreciate and englishman waffling!

It's great, turn up, play for 2hrs, no talking, get paid, go home! :D The good thing about using MP3s is you can see how long the song has got before the end! At least I know when I can turn everything off!

Will you make an exception for the Ninja Karaoke and at the end of the night announce:

'Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand for the National Anthem' and then play this song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Ha HA! Maybe I'll play Dustin instead! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Will you make an exception for the Ninja Karaoke and at the end of the night announce:

'Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand for the National Anthem' and then play this song?

Mates a DJ and we always get him to do it, nobody knows whats going on with about three lads standing there hands on chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

playing the National Anthem at the end of a gig just belittles the song and ourselves. It takes a bunch of goons 10 pints of beer to suddenly take pride in their country to stand up and sing the song at 2 in the morning...nonsense, keep it for meaningful occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

shane86 wrote: »
    Any regular nightclub (i.e. not a trance night, house night, just your local type) should end on some dance classics, if they dont the DJ isnt worth a sh1t tbh.

Did you read that in "DJ'ing for Dummies"? What a load of rubbish. The DJ should finish on whatever is suitable for the night/crowd.

What's your definition of a "dance classic" btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

I m not Irish, no disrespect at all but I think it is ridiculous! Never seen that anywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

I have already replaced Amhran na bhFiann with Rzeczpospolita. Theres enough of them here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Halfdog wrote: »
    I have already replaced Amhran na bhFiann with Rzeczpospolita. Theres enough of them here. :D

I used to do birthday parties in Tommy Bahamas in Skerries, they used to have a regular Polish DJ doing polish music nights! :D Today Ireland, Tomorrow the world! :eek:

forgot to say, I was doing a wedding and I was about to play the national anthem when I just thought I'd check it and low and behold with about 20sec to spare I had cued up Radioheads National Anthem..... Balls!! Almost made a mess of that gig!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I've never heard the National Anthem played in a club in Dublin.
    The idea seems completely ridiculous to me actually.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agreed. You'd never hear it in any 'real' club - and imo any DJ 'worth his salt' as said above, would simply refuse to play it...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I agree with the majority of the posters in that it is wrong to play it. The country has become multi-nationalised. Think about it this way if you were in england + you heard "god save the queen" and people looked at you with disgust if you didn't stand up for it what would you be thinking? I'm not just saying it coz of the whole "tans out" ****, even the eastern europeans get dirty eyes coz in my town if they don't stand up. It's pathetic.

I do think its agrees that wedding dj'ing its ok. I agree that a non-wedding event its just plain wrong....

• Advertisement
Advertisement