Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[OC log] (\/)0n0L17(-) II

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

any recomendations on benchmarking software?
    not just for the GPU but more for the system itself.

I can see the improvements on my overclock but would like to get the stats also.

as i'm mainly using this system for gaming I use 3Dmark06 to benchmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Everest, sisoft sandra, super pi, what i've used to compare stock & overclocked benchmarks. Like L31mrod i also use 3dmarks & pcmarks.

Getting over 14k in 3Dmark06 now, after some fine tuning of the graphics card. Thats about 2k more 3Dmark points than when my systems at stock settings.

GFX Settings:

Core: 630Mhz
    Shader: 1640Mhz
    Memory: 1090Mhz

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4431284

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hey can you post a recent pic of everest memory benchmark

here mine atm :

ram 5-5-5-15 2t 950mhz

40065663st7.png

shorter timmings 4-4-4-4 2t

41684678fy1.png

5-5-5-15 1000mhz

31243045lg3.png

5-5-5-15 1120mhz

21107940pu8.png

Cant really compare, L31mrod's got a quad with 8mb level 2 cache, u got c2d with 2mb cache

• Advertisement

whats with the weird images from everest? you know you can just click the "save" button and save it as a png file.

whats the rated timings and speed of your RAM? Do you have 4GB or 2GB?

Here's an EVEREST bench from what i'm at at the moment.

mem_44412_1T_406.jpg

same as urself 4gb's of pc 6400 d9 chips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

lads which version of everest are you using to get those reports?
    ive tried corporate and ultimate but cant seem to display the format.

Heres mine in text format:)
    Memory READ:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 3266 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] nForce680i-SLI Dual DDR2-806 4-4-4-12 CR2 9261 MB/s
    Memory Write:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 3266 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] nForce680i-SLI Dual DDR2-806 4-4-4-12 CR2 6619 MB/s
    Memory Copy:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 3266 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] nForce680i-SLI Dual DDR2-806 4-4-4-12 CR2 6451 MB/s
    Memory Latency:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 3266 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] nForce680i-SLI Dual DDR2-806 4-4-4-12 CR2 56.1 ns

well i cant say how i got it :p but im using unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

awhir wrote: »
    well i cant say how i got it :p but im using unlimited.

I like to call it evaluation :D

• Advertisement

lads which version of everest are you using to get those reports?
    ive tried corporate and ultimate but cant seem to display the format.

open up EVEREST, click on Tools -> "Cache and Memory Benchmark"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Weird thing is my RAM performance has dropped off considerable to what it was previously when I had the clock mode set to unlinked at these exact timings and this exact DDR clock. Plus the FSB is currently LOWER than stock so it shouldn't be affecting latencies negatively. I don't think i'm ever going to understand this mobo, its like shooting in the dark.
    [/B]

I am noticing also that linked memory is slower.

I am noticing also that linked memory is slower.

I had the same thing happening when it was unlinked. Presently trying to troubleshoot a corruption issue with some downloads. I had this problem before on my old skt939 board. The Nforce NIC didn't like my overclock, its going to be a headache trying to track down what the issue is on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Hey L31mr0d, I was trolling a bit and came across this thread. I haven't overclocked a machine since I pushed my Wang 386SX 16Mhz to the limit (about 16.1Mhz) so, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to how to go about cranking up this beast.

My rig is in my sig - any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

That should be easy SwampThing, You've got a great mobo to start with. The Asus bios is lovely to work with.

SwampThing wrote: »
    Hey L31mr0d, I was trolling a bit and came across this thread. I haven't overclocked a machine since I pushed my Wang 386SX 16Mhz to the limit (about 16.1Mhz) so, I was wondering if you could give me some pointers as to how to go about cranking up this beast.

My rig is in my sig - any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Well this thread really was written as a guide. Just follow the steps i've taken here. Your experience will differ, but the procedure is still the same. Start up a new OC log and give all the relevant details including pictures of your BIOS settings that relate to overclocking, and then just ask questions on the BIOS settings that differ from mine. First off i'd run a 8 hour memtest86 stress test then run a 8 hour OCCT (or multithreaded prime) stress test to make sure everything is rock solid at stock settings. Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

OK, Thanks

Ok i'm back. I kinda left my clock where it was for a while to actually use the PC for what I bought it for... to play games.

But now i'm back and even more confused :confused:

I'm going to try overclocking again but this time try and keep the CPU multi as low as possible and instead overclock via the FSB

I dropped the multi to 6 and started overclocking the RAM again. This time I was able to get it stable at 940Mhz.

These are the results in everest:

mem_55518_470.jpg

These results are pretty good. I don't know what the multiplier was doing but it was destroying my overclock. Funny thing now is if I increase the multi past x8 I can't boot?

Does anyone have a clue why this would be happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Havent a clue, Have you tried the evga forums?

Anti wrote: »
    Havent a clue, Have you tried the evga forums?

Ok well I tried the evga forums and someone over there mentioned that a possible cause could be that I needed to increase my SPP or MCP voltage as increasing the CPU multiplier would be pushing a lot more traffic through the NB. Not knowing that these voltages had anything to do with the NB (it isn't exactly clear what they do, I had thought they related to the HT multiplier) I remembered something about the issues i'm having. In memtest I wasn't getting any RAM errors the screen would just freeze, the same happened in Vista when I ran OCCT, the test wouldn't fail only the screen would freeze. This reminded me that this is a sign that the issue is with the motherboard and not the CPU or RAM (otherwise a CPU or RAM error would be generated)

So I proceeded to increase the SPP voltage and finally got the system stable with the x9 multiplier. After some more testing today I eventually got these settings stable after a half hour OCCT run (will run a stress test overnight tonight)

My current 3Dmark06 score: 14182

CPU: 3.4Ghz

CPU Multiplier: 10
    FSB – Memory Clock Mode: linked
    CPU FSB Mhz: 1360
    RAM FSB Mhz: 907
    FSB Memory Ratio: 3:2

Timings
    TCL: 5
    TRCD: 5
    TRP: 5
    TRAS: 18