Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacWorld 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Archytas wrote: »
    I'll actually pay for the new apps... if I could find out how to do it!

I just did it a couple of hours ago. I don't regret it at all. It is cool have simple access to Mail and Maps is cool. It is great to add new functionality to the Touch. I paid the €17. Doesn't bother me to pay when I get something in return.

If you just connect your Touch to iTunes and check for an update it will tell you that firmware v1.1.3 is available. Download this and let it install. It should then take you to the iTunes Store where you will be shown a page advertising a Software Upgrade for the Touch. Click on the link to buy the upgrade. It is just like buying a song in iTunes. You click a few buttons, mainly accepting terms and conditions and it will download it.

I think it just downloads a code to unlock the apps as it only takes a second. The firmware upgrade itself is over 150MB. I disconnected the Touch and the new apps just appeared on the home screen.

Easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

It should then take you to the iTunes Store where you will be shown a page advertising a Software Upgrade for the Touch. Click on the link to buy the upgrade. It is just like buying a song in iTunes. You click a few buttons, mainly accepting terms and conditions and it will download it.

none of the above happened. I downloaded the update earlier and installed it. Didn't get that. Now when I go to the buy now page it just has too options at the bottom - remind me later and no thanks.

oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

logo lights up......

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

demc7 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this minor thing: does the mac logo on the back of the Macbook Air light up, as it has this new fancy LED screen and no backlight?

Yeah, logo is illuminated like the MB and MBPs....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I just did it a couple of hours ago. I don't regret it at all. It is cool have simple access to Mail and Maps is cool. It is great to add new functionality to the Touch. I paid the €17. Doesn't bother me to pay when I get something in return.

Glad you're happy. It bothers me that I have to pay for apps on a Touch that I bought a fortnight ago, while people who buy it today are getting it essentially €47 cheaper. They can sod off. I'll jailbreak it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

umm - i bought a macbook in late september

new macbook and leopard a month later - but i should have researched it - like you should have

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Archytas wrote: »
    none of the above happened. I downloaded the update earlier and installed it. Didn't get that. Now when I go to the buy now page it just has too options at the bottom - remind me later and no thanks.

oh well.

Needed iTunes 7.6... That requirement was suspiciously* absent from the buy now page...

* Not really all that suspicious...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

conor2007 wrote: »
    umm - i bought a macbook in late september

new macbook and leopard a month later - but i should have researched it - like you should have

Is that directed to me? If so show me where there was even a rumour of a price drop or new apps on the Touch, because I certainly didn't see any on the normal sites. Otherwise don't try tarring everyone with your failings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

whiterebel wrote: »
    Is that directed to me? If so show me where there was even a rumour of a price drop or new apps on the Touch, because I certainly didn't see any on the normal sites. Otherwise don't try tarring everyone with your failings.

lol, if you had researched you could have waited for MW08' to come and go and then purchase. He made a fair point. If you researched you would have known that MW is a consumer show, and the likelihood of ipod annoucements (consumer product) was probable.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    lol, if you had researched you could have waited for MW08' to come and go and then purchase. He made a fair point. If you researched you would have known that MW is a consumer show, and the likelihood of ipod annoucements (consumer product) was probable.

Jesus, another member for the "Gob opens before brain engages" brigade. 13 years with Macs, including working there, so I've an idea what a Mac Expo is about, thanks. Now if you're so clever, you try showing me a rumour where the Touch was going to be updated. And I mean a decent rumour site, not a blog by some unknown.

• Advertisement

Jesus, another member for the "Gob opens before brain engages" brigade. 13 years with Macs, including working there, so I've an idea what a Mac Expo is about, thanks. Now if you're so clever, you try showing me a rumour where the Touch was going to be updated. And I mean a decent rumour site, not a blog by some unknown.

Wow calm down. It's only the internet:) After the iPhone price drop/debacle are you surprised this happened? I just thought that people would be a bit more wary of their purchasing decisions. Clearly I was wrong.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Wow calm down. It's only the internet:) After the iPhone price drop/debacle are you surprised this happened? I just thought that people would be a bit more wary of their purchasing decisions. Clearly I was wrong.

Surprised that they are charging less for the same product, while charging extra for early adopters for the extra features? I thought Apple would have learned more from the iPhone debacle. Chances are always taken, and I never usually buy first gen of anything, but the Touch seemed solid and reliable (Once I made sure and got Macy Gray) and didn't seem likely for an update. Considering the price of it v the iPhone it seems a really harsh decision to charge for the extra, especially considering probably only 2 are any way useful to me.
    I waited until the last product launch to buy the new Mini I got, but in case it was discontinued, was ready to run into PC World to make sure and get the last of the Intel Core Duos, thats how closely i monitor the situation with new product.

macworld expo
    expo - doesnt take a genius to tell whats happening?

you bought something 2 weeks before apple products would be unveiled/updated

duh!! - so ye - good man

17 euro

Meh, Apple changed with the iPhone imho. I don't doubt that they will stop churning out great products, but that endline care about the customer is gone.

conor2007 wrote: »
    macworld expo
    expo - doesnt take a genius to tell whats happening?

you bought something 2 weeks before apple products would be unveiled/updated

duh!! - so ye - good man

"umm - i bought a macbook in late september

new macbook and leopard a month later"

Lets just remind you of what you did, just to show the genius stakes, here mate. You didn't actually need to research for Leopard, they had actually told us in advance. And as far as I remember, you were still entitled to get Leopard for shipping fee. Good for Brain donors like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

I'm gonna say this once only.

rebel, conor - calm down. Any more and i'll start issuing infractions.

Be polite - no more examples of the following kind of behaviour
    Jesus, another member for the "Gob opens before brain engages" brigade.

first mac - so ye i wasnt told by ''the macshop'' - tits

i accept my mistake - you dont seem to - so ye . .

also i was outside the timeline to get the free upgrade to lepoard (ebay it for 20 euro if i want it) - the upgrade wasnt that much - doesnt really affect me - but still

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone see that ad where the guy with the serious voice tells Steve to F off about the macbook air? Think someone posted it on this forum but can't find it anywhere. It's doing my head in. lol

babypink wrote: »
    I'm gonna say this once only.

rebel, conor - calm down. Any more and i'll start issuing infractions.

Be polite - no more examples of the following kind of behaviour

So how does "Issuing infractions" work then?

And more seriously, for that?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

So how does "Issuing infractions" work then?

Infractions are a little like penalty points. There are scales of mod responses on boards. A rule breaking offence may not always require an outright ban, and in such a case, a warning or an infraction may be issued.

A warning is an official, document warning issued to the users, which is visible to other mods, but carries no points or does not result in a ban from the forum where it was issued.

An infraction is like penalty points for driving, it is a warning with points, clock up 9 points within in a given period of time and you get a forum ban.

Hope that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

dubmick wrote: »
    anyone see that ad where the guy with the serious voice tells Steve to F off about the macbook air? Think someone posted it on this forum but can't find it anywhere. It's doing my head in. lol

Haven't seen that, but I just found this :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

^ lol that was brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I lol at the bit at the end. Funny.

I wonder will Apple slip out a Penryn update in a few weeks when the chips become more readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The bad news keeps coming. Movie rental are not compatible with 5/5.5G iPods. That means you can't display the videos on a TV on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

WizZard wrote: »
    According to yesterday's SBP who cite "Apple sources" the iPhone won't be coming to Ireland until April "at the earliest", and it seems they assume we will be getting the 3G iPhone but not the current EDGE model.

As for MacWorld - I like the MacBook Air idea :)

:) Well todays the day, Im only expecting a release date for the Iphone to be honest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

actually I think it is an ad for the ipod touch, some oul lad going on about how he pity's people watching movies on it??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

actually I think it is an ad for the ipod touch, some oul lad going on about how he pity's people watching movies on it??
    You mean David Lynch?

lol :D

I'm a big fan of his and I agree 100 percent. Watching movies and tv shows on a phone or ipod is just a big gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

cornbb wrote: »

[aside] anyone know the title of that song offhand? Heard it on the radio earlier but cba looking it up. If someone here knows that will save me hassle, if not, ill google [/aside]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm the same, i'll never watch something like a movie on an iphone/touch, but tv shows like south park etc i wouldn't mind watching on them, short enough not to rape battery and doesn't really matter if you miss something. i'm terrible when it comes to movies, if miss the starting 2 minutes of a movie on the tv, i won't watch it for fear i've missed something :D.

also wear headphones if you want to watch the above video in work :p

Advertisement