Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacWorld 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Optical drive? "Most users won't find the need for one".

Ahahaha. I reckon that fact alone will kill the macbook air. Shame, it's a nice looking thing, pretty sleek, but no CD drive? They were obviously faced with creating the smallest/thinnest computer so had to cut corners somewhere then come up with a solution to make it sound acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Gordon wrote: »

Ahahaha. I reckon that fact alone will kill the macbook air. Shame, it's a nice looking thing, pretty sleek, but no CD drive? They were obviously faced with creating the smallest/thinnest computer so had to cut corners somewhere then come up with a solution to make it sound acceptable.

My dell X300 doesn't have a drive in it, it has a drive much like the airs drive if i need it..

Sure I never need it unless i'm installing something n allot more software is available for download n activation over the net so there's not as much of a need for a drive....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Gordon wrote: »

The MBA isn't designed to be a main computer. It's supposed to be a secondary/travel/business meeting etc machine if anything. I said a few pages back that people weren't getting the concept of the ultraportable idea. Same goes for USB ports. This is meant to be a barebones lightweight and compact travel accessory, not something for someone looking for an all around machine. If it had been 11/12" I would have it ordered by now, but for that money I can get a better spec'd machine that's the right size. Just my 2 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

Apologies if it's been whined about already, but why is the "new" apple TV still 299 on Irish site and only 229 dollars in the US. Hopefully just a mistake but they've updated other prices so I'm not so sure.

They used at least match the euro to dollar prices which taking in the extra VAT and the possible extra costs of EU warranty wasn't as bad as it seemed.

But the Apple TV price in the US is about 160 euro pre tax, in Ireland it's about 250 euro pre tax. And we don't get the movie + tv downloads.

I don't really want one but for around 199 euro might have considered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

daveirl wrote: »

True, but at the same time, i wouldnt like NOT to have an easy option. Like I said to me, the Air would be a beautiful fun second machine, if I were rich. Id never have it as a primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm impressed that you can use an optical drive on another machine. Seems to work quite well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hm, I use my optical drive quite a bit. :/

/oldskool!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, what's the graphics like?
    I'm interested in this. I've a 15.4 inch laptop and find it a bit too big for lugging around and it's starting to die on me, 13.3 would be ideal. Lack of optical drive is not a problem as I don't think I've ever used the drive on my current laptop. The one thing that annoys me is the audio. Only a mono speaker and no mic jack. Would a bluetooth headset work with the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

There's a built in mic if thats any use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, what's the graphics like?

Intel Integrated Graphics chip.
    . . . The one thing that annoys me is the audio. Only a mono speaker and no mic jack. Would a bluetooth headset work with the laptop?

Leopard now supports A2DP, so with a Bluetooth Stereo Headset you can listen to reasonable quality stereo.

I have a Sony DR-BT20NX set that do a decent job.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ZENER wrote: »
    Intel Integrated Graphics chip.

Leopard now supports A2DP, so with a Bluetooth Stereo Headset you can listen to reasonable quality stereo.

I have a Sony DR-BT20NX set that do a decent job.

ZEN

Nice. Interested in this, with the € strong against the $ it would be possible to pick up the base model for around €1150, reasonable price I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brother just sent me this - gave me a giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

basquille wrote: »
    Brother just sent me this - gave me a giggle!

Lol, that'll have our office in stitches :D

cornbb wrote: »
    Lol, that'll have our office in stitches :D

Plebs!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It was a pretty dissappointing keynote I must say.

The Macbook Air sacrifices far too much in terms of spec, ports and upgradablity for extreme thinness that I don't think anyone really wanted. I can't think of anyone who would buy it.. it's too expensive for students, too small and slow for professionals, and too limited/toyish for techies.

Charging $20 for the iTouch update was a real slap in the face.

The movie renting sounds good, if they ever release it in Ireland! Ditto the iPhone update.

The Time Capsule looks like a good product, I'd certainly buy one if I hoarded data like a lot of people do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Okay I hope I haven't got this wrong but....

Downloaded the latest front row after the Keynote and noticed I could browse my 'Movies' folder so on the off chance I selected a divx movie and it worked.

So I'm thinking it's either new that I could browse my movies folder, or new that it'll allow me to play a divx/xvid file, or both.

Anyone know if this is new or have I lost it?

Playing divx via front row UI on mini hooked up to TV seems to be an obvious possibility now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Playing DivX / XviD on FrontRow has always been pretty easy - just a matter of putting the AC3 / DivX / XviD codecs into the 'Library\Quicktime' folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Okay I hope I haven't got this wrong but....

Downloaded the latest front row after the Keynote and noticed I could browse my 'Movies' folder so on the off chance I selected a divx movie and it worked.

It was possible to browse your Movies folder before, not sure about divx movies.

Anyone see the 6 o'clock RTE news there? Segment on the Keynote and MBA.

Nice free advertising.

My Mom, not knowing who El Jobso was, exclaimed "what a freak! what is that guy wearing" and that he looked "dirty" lmfao. I do think he is looking a little ill and worse for wear atm. Hmmmm perhaps its time to put my Anna Nicole-Smith plan into action, sounds like Stevo needs some TLC mhahahahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

440Hz wrote: »
    Hmmmm perhaps its time to put my Anna Nicole-Smith plan into action, sounds like Stevo needs some TLC mhahahahaha.

Well she didn't look too great towards the end, did she? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

440Hz wrote: »
    Anyone see the 6 o'clock RTE news there? Segment on the Keynote and MBA.

Nice free advertising.
    Umm... not really though. Spend a **** load of cash putting on a big conference and invite a load of journalists... I think the plan is that they report on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

ye
    would have been better to keep these low key

was a crap confrence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Goodshape wrote: »
    Umm... not really though. Spend a **** load of cash putting on a big conference and invite a load of journalists... I think the plan is that they report on it.
    The invited journalists, sure. Everyone else is a bonus.

The invited journalists, sure. Everyone else is a bonus.

Zackly! I mean you don't expect RTE primetime news to devote a segment to it. Well, I didn't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I dunno if anyone else has said this(10 page thread....) but The iphone update is a non event. Seriously. Send multiple contacts the same SMS!! Wow! My 4 year old Nokia does that!! It should have been there from the beginning.

Better Maps and "improved" SMS does not constitute an iPhone update. One is a bug fix, the other is an application upgrade.

The only good thing from that the iPhone "update" is the multiple home screens and the re-arranging of icons etc. So basically the home screen is editable. Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

The fee for the apps on the Touch is also ridiculous... I'll stick with my Jailbreak thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Fee for iTouch upgrade is probably a test to see what the market will be re: buying iPhone apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I'll actually pay for the new apps... if I could find out how to do it!

Advertisement