Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Band Of Brothers

• 17-01-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Just finished watching band of brothers.Wow that was amazing.Just wondering is there anything similar to it in style and action out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Far too Epic to compare:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

You could try "Over There", essentially a modern version of B of B, set in Iraq, (similar to Jarhead)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In TV terms, there's not much out there... The BBC did a decent docu-drama series about Dunkirk.
    The film Midnight Clear starring Ethan Hawke perhaps?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    Just finished watching band of brothers.Wow that was amazing.Just wondering is there anything similar to it in style and action out there.

Just finished watching BOB for the first time myself last week. Managed to avoid it for the past 5 years somehow. Yeah it is an absolutely fantastic mini-series alright. I actually think it's the highest rated thing on IMDB.

Think the same team behind BOB are producing a new series that will be aired in 2009 called The Pacific focusing on the war vs the Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, nothing really compares to BoB. I think we're just all waiting for the new Pacific production from HBO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I saw this when it first aired and then recieved the boxset when it first came out....I still go back to it every now and again as it's so good!

What's Pacific like Sofaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Its quality, +the episode(s) with David Swimmer<sp? are brilliant, as he plays a (out of character) complete git. Overall very well written and beauitfully shot. Buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

catch--22 wrote: »
    What's Pacific like Sofaking?
    Err, dunno....they haven't made it yet. Everything I know about it was mentioned by the user (post #5) above me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

I don't buy many boxsets but this is one that i'll definately get. Is there a HD/ blu-ray version by any chance?

Ah sure ill stop being lazy and just go google it :p

SofaKing wrote: »
    Err, dunno....they haven't made it yet. Everything I know about it was mentioned by the user (post #5) above me :)

Sorry mate, just read that wrong and thought you'd seen a clip! My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

For me, Band of Brothers is the best mini series to ever come on TV, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The box set was 30 notes in HMV last week, well worth it me thinks.

Saw yer man Dick Winters on a National Geo programme over christmas, seems like a real humble guy that didnt want the spotlight, just for the men that died to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Yeah I agree with the rest of this thread, its the best series that I've ever seen by a long way. Didn't realise that they were making a new series though. I found a bit about it on Wikipedia here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Unfortunately not similar in style and action as you're looking for, but the only TV series that I rank along with BoB (or above in some ways due to its grander themes) is Brideshead Revisited.

Good to hear about the Pacific one. We live in hope......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i got the boxset a while ago, only watched 4 episodes but am getting back into it now, starting again from the first ep. It really is an amazing series and is probably one of the only things i'd re-buy in a hi-def format in the future if it gets released/whenever i decide to adopt to a new format

Looks like there's even a fansite for Pacific:

http://www.pacificfans.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Band of Brothers was very very special. I dont know if it will ever be topped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*about to watch the first episode for the first time*

Should I just give up on my exams? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Band of brothers is/was amazing... Although to fully enjoy it you really do need the box set, to be able to see the full interviews of all the vets is unreal... Scary to think of what it must have been like...

Great series... Hopefully "The Pacific" will be as good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

For some reason, I didn't think that I would like this series but about 3 years ago a few of us watched the entire series over the course of a week and I just thought it was excellent.

Extremly well shot and acted. It's a pity there are not more tv mini series out there of that standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Watched the first 5/6 episodes....... fantastic stuff

Last episode I watched concentrated alot on the medic, which was cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

BoB is great series.

Looks like it might be March 2010 when The Pacific hits. http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24621

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

My brother bought me the boxset when it was relased after its airing in RTE years ago. Absolutely outstanding! I do go back every now and again to re-watch it and being honest have yet to find anything like Band of Brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

You have to get the boxset for the extras.

One comes to mind, when a vet was talking about how they were all so eager to enlist, when one of his buddies couldn't for whatever reason, maybe he was too young, hanged himself.
    "They were different times..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

when b the new one released?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

March/April 2010. Looks like Sky have the UK rights which means ad breaks!

http://www.thecinemapost.com/2009/05/22/sky-tv-purchases-the-pacific-for-the-uk-in-spring-2010/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

March/April 2010. Looks like Sky have the UK rights which means ad breaks!

http://www.thecinemapost.com/2009/05/22/sky-tv-purchases-the-pacific-for-the-uk-in-spring-2010/

According to that article it will be shown on Sky Movies / HD so no ad breaks (not much good for those of us without a movies sub :rolleyes:). Have to ask the cousins to tape it for me.

http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer-videos

Trailer up here. Looks good, could be quite full on in the 'war is hell' department.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

If you want a realistic depiction of war it dosen't get much more real than Generation Kill. Seven episode TV series about Marine Recon going into Iraq in 2003.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Generation Kill the HBO mini-series is excellent in fairness but it doesn't come close to Band of Brothers in my opinion.

Band of Brothers is one of those timeless masterpieces that come along once
    in a blue moon. Hopefully The Pacific will be right up there alongside it and judging from this it looks like it might just do it.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/21/must-watch-new-trailer-for-the-wwii-miniseries-the-pacific/

Advertisement