Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band Of Brothers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GTR63 wrote: »
    Must pick it up on blu-ray now. Really enjoyed it last time I watched the boxset (about 2 years back). Thought David Schwimmer was great in it also.

He really was, such a brilliant **** :)

Finished the series tonight, watched it in less then 3 days, absolutely gripping. Will watch it again soon, think Ill give The Pacific a go first though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BoB one of the greatest TV shows ever, must get my BluRay set dusted off soon.

I started watching Pacific, and stopped at Episode 4 I think, simply wasn't doing it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

"Even today, a real cold night, we go to bed, my wife’ll tell ya, that the first thing I say, I’m glad I’m not in Bastogne.”

I haven't seen this in ages, really need to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Wow I have to crack this out again, absolutely amazing series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dmc100

Love this show so much. Watched the whole series in one day back in my college days. Might have a go at it again over the Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Downloading it as we speak for xmas viewing. Only ever seen 20 mins of it and for 10+ years I've said I must watch it some time.

This thread reminded me 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I loved both the Band of Brothers and the Pacific but I think I slightly preferred The Pacific.It was a more character based show and the characters were easier to identify with (for the first few episodes of BoB it was difficult to differentiate between some of the characters).I felt the pacific was more emotionally involving than Band of Brothers, although both shows are almost perfect in my opinion.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Downloading it as we speak for xmas viewing. Only ever seen 20 mins of it and for 10+ years I've said I must watch it some time.

I was the same, took me so long to finally watch it but my God it was worth the wait! Dunno why I put it off so long, wanna watch it again now but the missus wont watch it with me :(

I have started The Pacific now, just the one episode down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

kryogen wrote: »
    I was the same, took me so long to finally watch it but my God it was worth the wait! Dunno why I put it off so long, wanna watch it again now but the missus wont watch it with me :(

I have started The Pacific now, just the one episode down

Sure call over.. I'll stick the popcorn on :)

• Site Banned Posts: 53 ✭✭Cuddled

Watch out for Lt Dyke aka The Love/Hate Dentist !!!

• Advertisement

Cuddled wrote: »
    Watch out for Lt Dyke aka The Love/Hate Dentist !!!

Couldn't believe it when I saw him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

sparrowcar wrote: »

+1....seems there is a re-release on the various sites ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First episode down. Day of Days up next.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

First episode down. Day of Days up next.
    Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I loved both the Band of Brothers and the Pacific but I think I slightly preferred The Pacific.It was a more character based show and the characters were easier to identify with (for the first few episodes of BoB it was difficult to differentiate between some of the characters).I felt the pacific was more emotionally involving than Band of Brothers, although both shows are almost perfect in my opinion.

Felt the complete opposite - in the final 'this is what happened to them' montage in The Pacific, I hadn't a clue who half of them were.

The Pacific did get a lot better in it's second half, but Band of Brothers was vastly superior in all respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I dig out Band of Brothers every year. I have the DVD and Blu Ray box set. The Band of Brothers Blu Rays finally convinced me that Blu Ray had something more to offer than DVD. The Battle of the Bulge episodes are something else. The sense of camaraderie in Band of Brothers really comes through. I read the Stephen E. Ambrose book a number of years ago as well and felt the series was a great adaptation of the book.

In contrast I've only seen The Pacific once and I haven't really had the urge to re-watch it. I really did like Leckie's character but like another poster, I didn't remember who half the characters were in The Pacific at the end. The Pacific campaign of the marines during WW2 was much longer than the 101st PIR's European campaign. The marines landed on Guadalcanal in 1942 and were island hopping until 1945. Easy company reached France in June 1944 and the war in Europe was over less than a year later. Both shows only had 10 episodes but The Pacific had much more material to cram in. I think The Pacific would have benefited from either having more episodes to deal with its source material or being much more focused in what it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Bloody brilliant show,love it,have the box set but never get a chance to watch it.Have to say that the theme song is class

Im just about finished the 3rd season of Homeland, will get back to The Pacific when this is done, didn't grip me initially, the first two episodes were ok like, just didn't grip me quite like Band of Brothers did straight from the off.

It may be a slow burner, or of course I may get straight into it in the next episode!

Looking forward to it now, last episode of Homeland on now :)

I have put off The Pacific again to watch Generation Kill, don't ask me why, just felt that was the way to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

kryogen wrote: »
    I have put off The Pacific again to watch Generation Kill, don't ask me why, just felt that was the way to go :)

The why is 'because Generation Kill is a million times better than The Pacific'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bastogne was always a brutal episode (not its quality). The cold, lack of equipment and everything being thrown at them. Unimaginable, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Generation Kill is awesome!! Not as good as BoB but still great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

The next installment is the air war over Europe. I think spielberg and hanks are in the process of putting it together. They are going to follow an air bombing crew similar to BoB.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

No idea. I think originally there was talk of 2016, but they're still very early on in the pre-production stage - writing, etc. It's not been cast, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Watched it all again for the 1st time since it was broadcast just before Xmas particularly for the depiction of the Battle of the Bulge.

Quite simply, a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

strandsman wrote: »
    The next installment is the air war over Europe. I think spielberg and hanks are in the process of putting it together. They are going to follow an air bombing crew similar to BoB.

So basically Memphis Belle told over 10 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually preferred the Pacific as well, even though as a history buff I'm fanatical about the European theatre, BoB is still good though. Have you guys seen Generation War (unsere mutter, unsere vater)? I actually found that is on par with both shows, excellent account from the German side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watch it at least once a year. Fantastic series with so many great moments.

Advertisement