Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Comedians Ever???

• 16-12-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Who in your opinionis the best comedian ever????:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Bill Hicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

starn wrote: »
    Bill Hicks

Agree 100%. But I think he was more a modern day prophet that people found funny because what he said was/is true. :D

R.I.P, Goatboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

starn wrote: »
    Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks; i've never heard of him! Better check him out so!:D

I liked Ronnie Barker of the two Ronnies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Bill Hicks is one of a kind but I actually found myself laughing more at George Carlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

richard pryor past,

rich hall present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Daniel Kitson by a long way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ever? Bill Hicks

Living: probably Billy Connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

imo id go for bill hicks or mitch hedberg, 2 comedians taken WAY to early!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

A work colleague introduced me to the comedy of Bill Hicks over 12 years ago, he was great. I've only seen Bill Bailey live once and I found him great too.

Billy Connelly by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Gazza376

Billy Connelly one of the best without a doubt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

Doug Stanhope is a top fave

And Stewart Lee.

And Stewart Lee.

yeah stewart lee is a legend, such a dry wit its unfrotunate that he hasnt hit MAINstream yet, as was seen in him being included in the "best of NEW stand up" on paramounts edinburgh and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Galvasean wrote: »
    Living: probably Billy Connolly

yeah billy connolly is a great comedian too

I did a bit of searching up on bill hicks he's very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I would include John Cleese (RIP)
    and the rest of the Monty Python crew as amongst the funniest comedians of our time. They have certainly produced the very finest comedy film ever ever made, but they're not quite stand up (and their attempts at stage shows didn't work very well at all)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=B1U6_H5-AAc )
    They might have been instrumental in spawning the 'sketch show' genre, but we can't blame them for drudge like little britain and trigger happy tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I know he's sold out a bit now but Peter Kay's two live DVDs were teriffic, particularly the second one from Bolton but I saw a pre "D'Unbelieveables" Jon Kenny live about 20 years ago in what is now The Martello but what was then O'Shea's "International" hotel in Bray and he was fantastic from start to finish. See he had a live DVD before Christmas, was going to buy it but thought I had hinted enough to get it on the day.. didn't. Any reviews?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

D'unbeleiveables!!!!

Akrasia wrote: »
    and the rest of the Monty Python crew as amongst the funniest comedians of our time. They have certainly produced the very finest comedy film ever ever made, but they're not quite stand up (and their attempts at stage shows didn't work very well at all)

im goin to half agree with you, john cleese is, and always will be one of the greatest comedic performers/writers of all time. from python to faulty towers, to everything else....just brilliant (i have not seen his early stand up so i cant comment)

but you cant say pythons stage shows didnt work, they were one of the greatest and fastest selling comedy stage shows of all time, they did countless tours (ok i think it was three or four) do to phenominal demand they had to keep adding new dates and new tours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Bill Hicks by a long shot. Angry, political and so eloquent! Everything he said back in the early 90's is still relevant today, particularly wrt to American politics and society.

biko wrote: »
    RIP?

It was just a joke reference to the youtube clip I posted. It's John Cleese delivering his own Eulogy (very funny stuff)

im goin to half agree with you, john cleese is, and always will be one of the greatest comedic performers/writers of all time. from python to faulty towers, to everything else....just brilliant (i have not seen his early stand up so i cant comment)

but you cant say pythons stage shows didnt work, they were one of the greatest and fastest selling comedy stage shows of all time, they did countless tours (ok i think it was three or four) do to phenominal demand they had to keep adding new dates and new tours.

Ok, I'll take it back so. I watched one of them on the internet and i thought it was just a little bit too mad (trying to fit so much material into a stage performance) .... but on second thoughts, it worked a lot better than it should have done.

It was just a joke reference to the youtube clip I posted. It's John Cleese delivering his own Eulogy (very funny stuff)

and dont worry man, i got the RIP joke, that stuff on just for laughs was great, the eulogy and cleese idol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

My favourites have to be (in no particular order):
    Bill Bailey
    Dylan Moran
    George Carlin
    Mitch Hedberg

I wouldn't mind checking out some older stand-up. I've heard good things about Rowan Atkinson's sets.
    And the John Cleese as mentioned above, and the other monty python people...

All the best.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

In my opinion, Eddie Izzard is the greatest comedian to have ever graced this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my opinion, Eddie Izzard is the greatest comedian to have ever graced this planet.
    He would be very high on my list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hmmmmmm Tough one. I guess my favourite would be one of:

Billy Connolly
    Robin Williams or
    Emo Philips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mister1777

Steve Wright...for those who can handle quick fire dead pan one lines check this out......... http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XYffXv7jMYQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I actually don't think Bill Hicks was funny.

*Flees in Terror*

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dermot Morgan.

steve wright us brilliant allright, he is billy connolly's favourite stand up (he used 2 of steves jokes in his new act- said they were steves tho, he didnt steal them) you cant get a much better review today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dermot Morgan.

I think it might be a generation gap. I have his 'Live' DVD and while its very funny there are quite a few bits that go over my head, ie: some of the political humour is fairly outdated at this point and I just don't recognise some of the references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Jimmy Carr, Jack Dee, Dermot Morgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I actually find Bill Hicks more educating than funny. Never found myself laughing out loud during his shows, but his opinions were very entertaining.

I agree Mitch Hedberg is/was one of the best. Id also give honourable mentions to Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran (more of a personal favourite - have met him a couple of times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Archimedes wrote: »
    I actually find Bill Hicks more educating than funny. Never found myself laughing out loud during his shows, but his opinions were very entertaining.

I agree Mitch Hedberg is/was one of the best. Id also give honourable mentions to Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran (more of a personal favourite - have met him a couple of times).

This is a fair point. Hicks was a very intelligent and educated/educating man, I just never found myself laughing out loud at him.

• Advertisement

yeah hicks stand up was more of a lecture, but he still imo has a good few brilliantly funny moments which did make me laugh out loud, but all of which still had a political and/or humanitarian view point which differed him from alot of comedians who would just say funny things without meaning or feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Ross Noble -For engaging with audience
    Jimmy Carr - For wit (8/10 Cats etc.), don't like his standup
    Dara O Brien - For engaging with the audience
    Mitch Hedberg - Brilliant one liners (I got a candle holder.. a cake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Lenny Bruce.
    His humour does seem dated now, but he paved the way for political and sociological satire which very often broached tabboo subjects.

Many have mentioned Bill Hicks (he's my number 2), but would he have even gotten into comedy if it hadn't been for Lenny Bruce? Obviously nobody can answer that question, but I think it's doubtful that he would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

katt williams, dave chappelle , chris rock , tommy tiernan , richard pyror, eddie murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

steve wright us brilliant allright, he is billy connolly's favourite stand up

Would never have imagined that Steven Wright was Billy Connelly's favourite comedian because imo they have very different styles.
    I like Steven Wright's stuff but tbh i never understood the Billy Connelly "best comic ever" tag.

Have to agree that from what i've seen of Bill Hicks i would've appreciated his refreshing/no bull$hit style and searingly honest opinions first and foremost more than anything else about him.

Others:
    Steven Wright
    Stewart Lee
    Ricky Gervais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Lucy Lambourne

The answer of course...is Mitch Hedberg

The answer of course...is Mitch Hedberg

+1 here here!!

vote for him in the stand up comedy showdown! he is up to 10th but is being beaten by some wasters who dont deserve to hold the same mic as him! http://www.comedycentral.com/events/susd/index.jhtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

+1 here here!!

vote for him in the stand up comedy showdown! he is up to 10th but is being beaten by some wasters who dont deserve to hold the same mic as him! http://www.comedycentral.com/events/susd/index.jhtml

agree with the 2 above. Mitch Hedberg is the funniest comedian ever! His delivery is second to none and his jokes are timeless. such a talented man. Very sad that he is no longer with us.

www.mitchhedberg.net
    www.hedburgh.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Bill Bailey. Hands down. And he and my friend are identical, beard and all

Jay P wrote: »
    Bill Bailey. Hands down. And he and my friend are identical, beard and all

HUMAN SLAVES....IN AN INSECT NATION....OOOH AW WOAH WOAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Des bishop does it for me everytime. looking forward to his new show this weekend. hope it's a good one. not seen him in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Got the Dara O'Briain DVD knocked down at Golden Discs. Decided to take a chance. Fantastic. Thought I'd wet myself when he started on about baguettes. Saw it coming a mile off but the delivery....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

There can be only one king of stand up

The Big Yin

Billy Connolly - Reasons For Swearing

"swearing is bad use of good language, now F*** off"

roadruner wrote: »
    There can be only one king of stand up

The Big Yin

Billy Connolly - Reasons For Swearing

"swearing is bad use of good language, now F*** off"

and he's coming to ireland!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

and he's coming to ireland!! :D

seriously, when dude ??

oh man now thats something i'll be looking forward to !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement