Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Comedians Ever???

Options
  • 16-12-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

Who in your opinionis the best comedian ever????:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Bill Hicks

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

starn wrote: »
    Bill Hicks

Agree 100%. But I think he was more a modern day prophet that people found funny because what he said was/is true. :D

R.I.P, Goatboy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

starn wrote: »
    Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks; i've never heard of him! Better check him out so!:D

I liked Ronnie Barker of the two Ronnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Bill Hicks is one of a kind but I actually found myself laughing more at George Carlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

richard pryor past,

rich hall present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Daniel Kitson by a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ever? Bill Hicks

Living: probably Billy Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

imo id go for bill hicks or mitch hedberg, 2 comedians taken WAY to early!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

A work colleague introduced me to the comedy of Bill Hicks over 12 years ago, he was great. I've only seen Bill Bailey live once and I found him great too.

Billy Connelly by a long shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Gazza376

Billy Connelly by a long shot.

Billy Connelly one of the best without a doubt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

Doug Stanhope is a top fave

And Stewart Lee.

And Stewart Lee.

yeah stewart lee is a legend, such a dry wit its unfrotunate that he hasnt hit MAINstream yet, as was seen in him being included in the "best of NEW stand up" on paramounts edinburgh and beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Galvasean wrote: »
    Living: probably Billy Connolly

yeah billy connolly is a great comedian too

I did a bit of searching up on bill hicks he's very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I would include John Cleese (RIP)
    and the rest of the Monty Python crew as amongst the funniest comedians of our time. They have certainly produced the very finest comedy film ever ever made, but they're not quite stand up (and their attempts at stage shows didn't work very well at all)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=B1U6_H5-AAc )
    They might have been instrumental in spawning the 'sketch show' genre, but we can't blame them for drudge like little britain and trigger happy tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I know he's sold out a bit now but Peter Kay's two live DVDs were teriffic, particularly the second one from Bolton but I saw a pre "D'Unbelieveables" Jon Kenny live about 20 years ago in what is now The Martello but what was then O'Shea's "International" hotel in Bray and he was fantastic from start to finish. See he had a live DVD before Christmas, was going to buy it but thought I had hinted enough to get it on the day.. didn't. Any reviews?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

D'unbeleiveables!!!!

Akrasia wrote: »
    and the rest of the Monty Python crew as amongst the funniest comedians of our time. They have certainly produced the very finest comedy film ever ever made, but they're not quite stand up (and their attempts at stage shows didn't work very well at all)

im goin to half agree with you, john cleese is, and always will be one of the greatest comedic performers/writers of all time. from python to faulty towers, to everything else....just brilliant (i have not seen his early stand up so i cant comment)

but you cant say pythons stage shows didnt work, they were one of the greatest and fastest selling comedy stage shows of all time, they did countless tours (ok i think it was three or four) do to phenominal demand they had to keep adding new dates and new tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Bill Hicks by a long shot. Angry, political and so eloquent! Everything he said back in the early 90's is still relevant today, particularly wrt to American politics and society.

biko wrote: »
    RIP?

It was just a joke reference to the youtube clip I posted. It's John Cleese delivering his own Eulogy (very funny stuff)

im goin to half agree with you, john cleese is, and always will be one of the greatest comedic performers/writers of all time. from python to faulty towers, to everything else....just brilliant (i have not seen his early stand up so i cant comment)

but you cant say pythons stage shows didnt work, they were one of the greatest and fastest selling comedy stage shows of all time, they did countless tours (ok i think it was three or four) do to phenominal demand they had to keep adding new dates and new tours.

Ok, I'll take it back so. I watched one of them on the internet and i thought it was just a little bit too mad (trying to fit so much material into a stage performance) .... but on second thoughts, it worked a lot better than it should have done.

It was just a joke reference to the youtube clip I posted. It's John Cleese delivering his own Eulogy (very funny stuff)

and dont worry man, i got the RIP joke, that stuff on just for laughs was great, the eulogy and cleese idol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

My favourites have to be (in no particular order):
    Bill Bailey
    Dylan Moran
    George Carlin
    Mitch Hedberg

I wouldn't mind checking out some older stand-up. I've heard good things about Rowan Atkinson's sets.
    And the John Cleese as mentioned above, and the other monty python people...

All the best.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

In my opinion, Eddie Izzard is the greatest comedian to have ever graced this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my opinion, Eddie Izzard is the greatest comedian to have ever graced this planet.
    He would be very high on my list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hmmmmmm Tough one. I guess my favourite would be one of:

Billy Connolly
    Robin Williams or
    Emo Philips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mister1777

Steve Wright...for those who can handle quick fire dead pan one lines check this out......... http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=XYffXv7jMYQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I actually don't think Bill Hicks was funny.

*Flees in Terror*

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dermot Morgan.

Advertisement