Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family dog kills one-year-old boy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

I think the parents/whoever was looking after the child were partly to blame... Leaving a baby in a room with a vicious dog, I don't think anyone I know would let their child alone in a room with a terrier even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Demonique wrote: »
    Aren't there skangery types living in some parts of Clondalkin? Would it be too much of a tragedy is said Komondor got loose in the skangery areas?

Actually, better still, let it loose in Cabra, there's a little boll*x there called Anto Beane who could do with a good mauling

While I don't argue I have seen types in this part of town that certainly seem to be in need of a maulin', I still wouldn't keep one here. However, one of the things that keeps Komondors off of the CDC lists, other than it's rarity, is the fact that they do not wander. By nature, and by breeding, they stay close to their homes, people, and flock. Pitbulls, otoh, are quite capable climbers and diggers. Rottweilers are pretty good at knocking down flimsy barriers like your average wooden fence(ask me how I know).

Here's a photo of my last Rottweiler in Texas - he is 140 lbs:
    large.jpg
    The greyhound here is about 85 lbs.
    Here is the same Rott at 125 lbs and about 11 months:
    http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/40757647/large
    This is what he does most of the time:
    http://www.pbase.com/wyk/image/46828599
    He didn't like strangers in the least, btw.

Here's the Komondor completely shaved for the summer, as well as my last Greyhound being taunted for food:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfTa0__MtvQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4TRo_0eHFQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC8me578MVw&NR=1

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

what keeps komondors out of it is pure rarity. How many people would know what one looks like even, or a vizla or a puli? how many are in ireland? a dozen? how many half/mixed breed komondors are out there? zero probably. unlike every mixed bully breed that will get lumped in with pit bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

foxy06 wrote: »
    These animals are vicious by nature and any parent that leaves a child in a house with a pitbull or rottweiler under supervision or not is irresponsible tbh.

Not for a responsibly bred pitbull or rottweiler. A purebred pitbull or rottweiler from a good breeder isn't a vicious animal by nature any more than a Golden Retriever is. The problem is that there are pitbull/rottweiler crosses/mongrels out there that aren't from good breeders and are potentially dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Bambi wrote: »
    what keeps komondors out of it is pure rarity. How many people would know what one looks like even, or a vizla or a puli? how many are in ireland? a dozen? how many half/mixed breed komondors are out there? zero probably. unlike every mixed bully breed that will get lumped in with pit bulls

I do recall mentioning the rarity. In The States, mixing Komondors and Great Pyranees is not as rare as you'd think. I see several litters for sale each year. I think there's something to be said for the fact most the breeders state the Pyranees is to make the Komondors more friendly... ;)
    There are roughly 1,300 Komondors reigstered in the world(though there are far more than that unregistered). Compare that to something like 12,000 Labradors in the US alone registered with the AKC.

WYK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

I think non-specifically educated/aware members of
    the public should be discouraged from owning breeds
    developed purely for their high intelligence and high
    physical stamina. E.g. dedicated pitbull owners are
    likely to respect the requirements of these animals
    and address them accordingly. A license to anyone
    demonstrating the knowledge and skill needed to
    bring out the best of these breeds would be a valid
    starting point I think. Breed-specific bans would
    miss the point and intensify the public's apparent
    misjudgement resulting in the outright demonisation
    and distruction of many worthwhile animals.

/0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i cant believe peope want to let the parents of scot free its reckless endangerment threw and threw. someone said the have learned their lesson? so ****ing what they deserve to be punished on behalf of the poor child they neglected.

the only problem with these breeds is that they appeal to scumbags who want to look tough and couldnt give a **** that what they are messing with is potentially lethal. these PEOPLE are irresponsible people the dogs are just the extra ingredient for disaster.

some controls should be in place but i see no reason why the majority should be punished for the stupidity of the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mairt wrote: »

Thanks Mairt :)

Here it is again, for the AH gen-pop :D

This is pure speculation now (because I wasn't there) but that Rottweiler needn't have been "viscous" at all for this to happen.

Here's the theoretical scenario:

The grandparents keep the dog mostly in the back garden, he's supposed to guard the property after all. He does get his walks, he gets his food, he's well cared for. Every now and then he's even let inside to lie by the fireside for a while.

When the older kids come around, they are introduced to him and they can pet him under supervision of the grandparents.

Everything is fine, the dog is regarded as docile and that's that.

What the dog doesn't get, is proper training with the kids and taught proper rules how (not to) behave around them.

There probably were several occasions where the seven year old went out to the dog with something in her hands like a toy or a treat to give to the dog or play with him.

On these occassions, it is likely that the dog just snatched whatever the kid had in her hands and ran away with it ...played with it or ate it.

All in good fun ...isn't it hilarious ...

Nobody bothered to correct him for that behaviour ...sure, he's only playing, isn't he ...

So ...in the dogs' mind (because he was let away with it several times) ...whatever that seven year old brought outside was his ...to play with or to eat. And it was his for the taking.

On the night of the tragic accident, the seven year old didn't walk out with a toy or a goodie though ...it was the baby.

The dog doesn't know that (he's probably never "met" the baby before) ...all he sees is his sparring partner with something very interesting in her arms. By habit, this interesting thing is also his to play with ...so he goes for it.
    The seven year old most likely pulls the baby away and starts screaming.

Tragically, this is the point where the dog's natural instincts kick in: Something he wants is taken away from him ...there's shouting and excitement ...the "hunt" is on !

What was play to begin with becomes earnest ..he really goes for that poor baby, snatches it and runs away with it.

The baby cries, the other kids shout at him, try to pull the baby away, he even gets beaten by the older kid. The excitement grows, the adrenalin flows fast. So he just holds on tighter.

Whether the dog now has the intention to kill the baby, or whether he just holds it firmly because he regards it as his "toy" and doesn't want to release it is purely academic ...two, three hard bites and the baby is lethally injured.

I'm not saying this is how it happend ...but it could very well have.

Now ...all you dog owners ....think long and hard:

Have you let your dog away with just helping itself to whatever it was it wanted?
    Have you had your kids play with the dog and the dog snatched something from them?
    Have you taught your dog that snatching something from you or your kids is not allowed?
    Do you allow your kids to play tug games with your dog?
    Have you taught your dog to release things on command?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That seems very very possible, and even a spaniel(some of the friendliest dogs I have ever owned) could be capable of this.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Sparkpea wrote: »

We know, its woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I can't even read that, if you want to communicate with people you should at least write with standard characters.

I can't even read that, if you want to communicate with people you should at least write with standard characters.

I know, but the mother is a child herself.

Its D way D young 1's spk D's dayz.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

It is fair to say that any breed could
    potentially carry out the likes of this, but
    not many types of dog have the unique
    recipe of talents to take it to such a
    tragic conclusion, maybe.

My opinion has been informed by owning
    and raising a pitbull. It is mostly out of
    recognition of their innate capabilities
    that I wouldn't recommend that someone who
    thinks all dogs are just labradors in different
    suits takes one on. Establishing myself as
    pack leader over my dog required what I
    would think is greater-than-average
    mental and physical effort.

For this reason I imagine an everyday approach
    (i.e. for less intense breeds) instilling discipline
    could result in a response that is technically on
    a par with a family-dog breed (as peasant's post
    details), but with many times the power involved.

I don't think it would do the public any harm to
    recognise the value of these breeds. A little
    respect would go a long way, as always.

Just my opinion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

peasant wrote: »
    Thanks Mairt :)

Here it is again, for the AH gen-pop :D

This is pure speculation now (because I wasn't there) but that Rottweiler needn't have been "viscous" at all for this to happen.

Here's the theoretical scenario:

The grandparents keep the dog mostly in the back garden, he's supposed to guard the property after all. He does get his walks, he gets his food, he's well cared for. Every now and then he's even let inside to lie by the fireside for a while.

When the older kids come around, they are introduced to him and they can pet him under supervision of the grandparents.

Everything is fine, the dog is regarded as docile and that's that.

What the dog doesn't get, is proper training with the kids and taught proper rules how (not to) behave around them.

There probably were several occasions where the seven year old went out to the dog with something in her hands like a toy or a treat to give to the dog or play with him.

On these occassions, it is likely that the dog just snatched whatever the kid had in her hands and ran away with it ...played with it or ate it.

All in good fun ...isn't it hilarious ...

Nobody bothered to correct him for that behaviour ...sure, he's only playing, isn't he ...

So ...in the dogs' mind (because he was let away with it several times) ...whatever that seven year old brought outside was his ...to play with or to eat. And it was his for the taking.

On the night of the tragic accident, the seven year old didn't walk out with a toy or a goodie though ...it was the baby.

The dog doesn't know that (he's probably never "met" the baby before) ...all he sees is his sparring partner with something very interesting in her arms. By habit, this interesting thing is also his to play with ...so he goes for it.
    The seven year old most likely pulls the baby away and starts screaming.

Tragically, this is the point where the dog's natural instincts kick in: Something he wants is taken away from him ...there's shouting and excitement ...the "hunt" is on !

What was play to begin with becomes earnest ..he really goes for that poor baby, snatches it and runs away with it.

The baby cries, the other kids shout at him, try to pull the baby away, he even gets beaten by the older kid. The excitement grows, the adrenalin flows fast. So he just holds on tighter.

Whether the dog now has the intention to kill the baby, or whether he just holds it firmly because he regards it as his "toy" and doesn't want to release it is purely academic ...two, three hard bites and the baby is lethally injured.

I'm not saying this is how it happend ...but it could very well have.

Now ...all you dog owners ....think long and hard:

Have you let your dog away with just helping itself to whatever it was it wanted?
    Have you had your kids play with the dog and the dog snatched something from them?
    Have you taught your dog that snatching something from you or your kids is not allowed?
    Do you allow your kids to play tug games with your dog?
    Have you taught your dog to release things on command?

Is there a Dr Zoolittle methodology for training children?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was watching Skynews on the day this happened and they had a some type of expert on dog psychology or behaviour and the reporter was asking the guy questions along the line of, "Aren't these types of the dogs bread purely for violent and aggressive behaviour?" and "Isn't it more likely that these types of dogs will attack humans?"

The reporter didn't seem too happy when his guest was saying that all breeds have a propensity or inherent ability to attack humans. Somehow it didn't seem to correspond to the reporters belief that it's only these big bad breeds that could ever harm anyone.

The expert also went on to say that Labradors are disproportionately represented when it comes to attacks on humans, but I suppose that doesn't sell papers (or ad space).

The fact of the matter is that all dogs have the ability to attack people and it's our responsibility to act accordingly around dogs when it comes to children.

Banning Rotweillers and Pitbulls won't solve this problem. If a dog is brought up badly it will behave accordingly. I always rememeber when growing up there was always at least one dog on the road that was vicious and that dog was normally owned by the psycho family. Go figure....

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Let me make this clear. A well looked after and cared for dog will be a lovable pet regardless of breed.

eh, no.... Large dogs like that are designed to kill, those jaws / teeth aren't for chewing pedigree and whatnot.. Maybe a well looked after Hyena would be a lovable family pet? Or maybe it would eat everyone that weighs less than 5 stone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No-one ever seen the clip of a guy in North Ireland in the 70's who kept a fully grown tiger, took it for walks on a chain, could stop and tickle his belly and turn him over? Any animal can be trained properly, most people just assume that once the animal is quiet around the people it knows then it'll be fine altogether.

I wouldn't even hold a one year old baby next to a cat, let alone have it in a house where some idiot could take it out to a big dog at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"...designed to kill..."

All dogs are designed to kill, genius! If you find any herbivore dogs, gimme a shout.

conzymaher wrote: »
    eh, no.... Large dogs like that are designed to kill, those jaws / teeth aren't for chewing pedigree and whatnot.. Maybe a well looked after Hyena would be a lovable family pet? Or maybe it would eat everyone that weighs less than 5 stone...

Yea my Pitbull insists on me feeding him only fresh babies daily, its a right pain.

But try as I might he just won't eat his Pedigree Chum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Is there a Dr Zoolittle methodology for training children?

Although you were trying to be flippant, you've actually unwittingly highlighted an important point.

A wee story - just last week I was playing out ball with my little doggie in the park when this little kid of 4-5 ran over, completely hyped up by the sight of a dog playing with a ball, and for about 5 minutes he continually:

- chased my dog around while roaring his head off
    - tried to kick her whenever he got near enough.
    - tried to hit her with a thin branch of a tree he had picked up.

She kept trying to get away from him, and get near me, and he kept on after her, despite me repeatedly telling him to stop. All the time his mother was sitting there watching her little darling doing this and saying nothing.

Now my doggie is a placid little thing, but I could see her getting 'wound up' by the situation. She didn't retaliate, but she would have been justified if she had done. Hell I wanted to give the little bollox a kick up the hole.

Point is, people in general dont' understand the do's and don'ts of dealing with dogs. That education needs to start with adults and be passed on to children under supervision who are going to be in contact with dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

But try as I might he just won't eat his Pedigree Chum :rolleyes:

i hate to agree with this fella, but blame the owner... not the feckin dog, a cat for christ sake could make good work of a baby if it was that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Should I worry that my sisters family have a Rotti living in their house? He's a beautiful beautiful creature, and I am a real dog-lover, but he does make me nervous for the children. They have two kids (5 and 2) and the dog goes to each of their bedrooms each night to check they're asleep before he retires himself (in the lounge on his own couch) He seems a very loyal and gentle dog but I still worry as you hear all these horror stories.

I'm scared to let my little girl sleep over in their house. Hell, I'm scared sleeping over there myself sometimes. He roams around the house freely. He's a show-winner, a beautiful, lean, strong, handsome dog. As I've said, he has never shown any signs of being a vicious creature, he's loyal and lovely, but is it true that a rottweiler can just turn at any given time?

Don't get me wrong, I think rottweilers are beautiful creatures and should never be banned completely. I just amn't too sure about rottis or any of the bull-terrier family being kept as family pets (and being left alone with children especially)

I'm not against any breed of dog in particular. I have a friend who has the most beautiful Staffordshire Bull Terriers, they are like children, real pets (but she has no children herself - she has been bitten herself, however, when two of her b*tches (Mother & Daughter) were having a tussle and she was seperating them. When these types of breeds get angry (as any living creature will at some stage) they are dangerous, you cannot deny that fact. I have a king charles myself (not my first choice of breed personally, but since I have a 3 year old I thought it would be the best choice as a little companion for her - they are so close and sometimes even sleep together, I know, no matter how angry the dog gets, she could do very little to harm my child, she's not physically capable of it)

I used to always defend pitt-bulls, staffies, rottis, etc to the last, but now that I'm faced with a situation where my small defenceless relatives could be in danger, I'm not too sure about the whole situation.....One attack from that massive rottweiler, and my little niece or nephew could be left blind or disfugured or worse...it's scary.....and whoever said a cat could make good work of a baby....for gods sake think about what yu've just said, do you really believe a little cat could do even close to as much damage as a 10 stone rotti with massive jaws and huge teeth?

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Should I worry that my sisters family have a Rotti living in their house? He's a beautiful beautiful creature, and I am a real dog-lover, but he does make me nervous for the children. They have two kids (5 and 2) and the dog goes to each of their bedrooms each night to check they're asleep before he retires himself (in the lounge on his own couch) He seems a very loyal and gentle dog but I still worry as you hear all these horror stories.

I'm scared to let my little girl sleep over in their house. Hell, I'm scared sleeping over there myself sometimes. He roams around the house freely. He's a show-winner, a beautiful, lean, strong, handsome dog. As I've said, he has never shown any signs of being a vicious creature, he's loyal and lovely, but is it true that a rottweiler can just turn at any given time?

Don't get me wrong, I think rottweilers are beautiful creatures and should never be banned completely. I just amn't too sure about rottis or any of the bull-terrier family being kept as family pets (and being left alone with children especially)

I'm not against any breed of dog in particular. I have a friend who has the most beautiful Staffordshire Bull Terriers, they are like children, real pets (but she has no children herself - she has been bitten herself, however, when two of her b*tches (Mother & Daughter) were having a tussle and she was seperating them. When these types of breeds get angry (as any living creature will at some stage) they are dangerous, you cannot deny that fact. I have a king charles myself (not my first choice of breed personally, but since I have a 3 year old I thought it would be the best choice as a little companion for her - they are so close and sometimes even sleep together, I know, no matter how angry the dog gets, she could do very little to harm my child, she's not physically capable of it)

I used to always defend pitt-bulls, staffies, rottis, etc to the last, but now that I'm faced with a situation where my small defenceless relatives could be in danger, I'm not too sure about the whole situation.....One attack from that massive rottweiler, and my little niece or nephew could be left blind or disfugured or worse...it's scary.....and whoever said a cat could make good work of a baby....for gods sake think about what yu've just said, do you really believe a little cat could do even close to as much damage as a 10 stone rotti with massive jaws and huge teeth?

Jesus man you sound like one windy fecker :D

Statistically your children are at greater risk of physical/sexual abuse from a family member than being attacked by a dog at that family members home!.

Jesus man you sound like one windy fecker :D

Statistically your children are at greater risk of physical/sexual abuse from a family member than being attacked by a dog at that family members home!.

Statistically, more children must live with humans that are likely to inflict abuse, than with dogs that are likely to attack, so that's irrelevant. But if there is indeed even the smallest risk that a big heavy-weight dog with jaws that have a tendency to lock could indeed attack a child, for whatever reasons (ie. child could tease dog etc.....) why put the child (and the dog) into that situation on a day to day basis, and increase the risk.....

how am I windy? :(

I think my sisters Rottweiler is absolutely gorgeous and if I didn't have a small daughter myself, I'd be the proud owner of a gorgeous Staffie, but my question is, Mairt, is it true, that no matter how a Rottweiler is treated and raised, whether it's a family pet or a guard dog, there is a possibility that it has a vicious streak and can turn on its master or indeed a child with whom it has always been familiar? Or is that a Myth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's the possibility that you are going to crash your car and kill the baby in the back seat... are you going to stop driving?

Mordeth wrote: »
    there's the possibility that you are going to crash your car and kill the baby in the back seat... are you going to stop driving?

No, but I will drive with care and avoid any potential hazards. I will avoid, at all costs, taking any risks, obviously and especially when my child is in the car.

In this day and age, for many, driving is a necessity, especially when you live in an area with a poor public transport system and have a family/job/responsibilites to tend to.

I need to drive to go about my day-to-day business. So I do drive, I drive well, I don't take risks on the road or in my home with my child, yes every day there is going to be a risk of something happening to all of us, but at least, I will have a clear conscience that I avoided taking risks with my daughters life. I dont "need" a Rottweiler in my home, I can't think of many (or any) who do......yes, I may want one, yes, if I have one I may grow to love it etc, but I don't need it to aid me in my life, so that's a bullsh*t argument too.

Why would anyone put their own child at risk just because they personally want to own a rottweiler....for whatever reasons....I just find it hard to understand. I think it's a selfish and wreckless act for anyone to have a large and even just potentially dangerous dog in a home with children and unsupervised. When I was expecting my child, I got rid of a labrador that I absolutely loved to pieces. It would have been selfish to keep the dog in case he clashed with the baby or there was any accidents that could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

The parents should be arrested and jailed for a while, They shouldnt have such a dog near kids.

Advertisement