Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family dog kills one-year-old boy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

drdre wrote: »
    The parents should be arrested and jailed for a while, They shouldnt have such a dog near kids.

The mother (who according to her blog just turned 18) shouldn't have left her baby in the care of her 16yr old sister regardless what kind of dog was present.

Silly, stupid girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mairt wrote: »
    The mother (who according to her blog just turned 18) shouldn't have left her baby in the care of her 16yr old sister regardless what kind of dog was present.

Silly, stupid girl.
    Erm, even if the mother was there, if the 6 year old took the baby outside, to pat the dog, the result would've been the same. If the entire extended family was there, and the 6 year old and the baby was left alone for 5 minutes, and in those 5 minutes, the 6 year old brought the baby out to pat the dog, the result would've been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

we've had dobermann dogs over the years, and I really really do feel for the family of the child here, but I complately blame the owners. I don't care how placid a dog is, children can't be trusted around animals, and vice versa. I think back to the amount of torment I used to give our dogs and I got many a bite from them. But it was my fault, and I don't blame the dogs for one second.

People are too quick to blame the animal. Nobody for a second blames the owner. Parents and owners have responsibilities. It's not a one way thing.
    The same way as children are told "not to touch the cooker because you'll get burnt," if they touch the cooker...they should know what to expect.
    Same for dogs. It's all about respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Silly, stupid girl.

So you think that if the mother hadn't left the child with her sister, the 18 year old mother would have had more chance against that Rottweiler than the 16 year old? :confused:

Whoever owned the dog was the irresponsible person, you can't really blame the mother of the child or the dog itself, the dog obviously should not have been left unattended/unleashed and un-mussled in a home where children were present.

So sad - such a gorgeous little kid too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

the_syco wrote: »
    Erm, even if the mother was there, if the 6 year old took the baby outside, to pat the dog, the result would've been the same. If the entire extended family was there, and the 6 year old and the baby was left alone for 5 minutes, and in those 5 minutes, the 6 year old brought the baby out to pat the dog, the result would've been the same.

The six year old shouldn't have been left in a position to take the one year old out to see the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    ...a big heavy-weight dog with jaws that have a tendency to lock

show me an X-ray picture of that jaw locking feature on a Rottweiler (or any other dog) ...it's an old wife's tale :D
    is it true, that no matter how a Rottweiler is treated and raised, whether it's a family pet or a guard dog, there is a possibility that it has a vicious streak and can turn on its master or indeed a child with whom it has always been familiar? Or is that a Myth?

simple answer: NO

Long answer: no dog (excluding sudden brain haemmorages or other injuries) will just "turn" on their owner ...ever.

But any dog can display sudden aggressive behaviour that has never been witnessed before ...simply because it finds itself in a situation that it has never experienced before and it's instinctive reaction is defense. That's why it is so important that a dog is thoroughly familiarised with its environement and that a dog has a strong bond with and strong trust in its owner / handlers
    I have a king charles myself (not my first choice of breed personally, but since I have a 3 year old I thought it would be the best choice as a little companion for her - they are so close and sometimes even sleep together, I know, no matter how angry the dog gets, she could do very little to harm my child, she's not physically capable of it)

Don't kid yourself ...even your little Spananiel has teeth and claws ...and instincts. Granted ..she would have a harder time trying to kill your child, but a severe injury is always on the cards.

I personally would not let a dog (any dog) sleep with a three year old unless I was sitting right next tot them, keeping an eye on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

When I was expecting my child, I got rid of a labrador that I absolutely loved to pieces. It would have been selfish to keep the dog in case he clashed with the baby or there was any accidents that could have been avoided.
    Child on the way,get rid of the dog?.To say you loved the dog to pieces and then say you got rid of it "in case" is a bit over the top IMHO.Nothing personal but do you always expect the worst in situations?

peasant wrote: »
    Long answer: no dog (excluding sudden brain haemmorages or other injuries) will just "turn" on their owner ...ever.

i think thats a very bold statement to make tbh and not very accurate.

Theres plenty of proof and stories out there of dogs that have turned on their owner for no reason whatseover.

My neighbor had a collie for years. they never mistreated him, but also never went out of thir way to be nice to him. But he savaged his owners leg one day for no reason whatsoever.

Some people just shouldn't have dogs cos they don't know how to raise them.

peasant wrote: »
    show me an X-ray picture of that jaw locking feature on a Rottweiler (or any other dog) ...it's an old wife's tale :D

It's all those muscles attached to those jaws... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Divers wrote: »

Theres plenty of proof and stories out there of dogs that have turned on their owner for no reason whatseover.

My neighbor had a collie for years. they never mistreated him, but also never went out of thir way to be nice to him. But he savaged his owners leg one day for no reason whatsoever.

Theres plenty of stories NOT plenty of proof.How do you know your neighbor never mistreated the dog? I presume you only caught a glimpse of the dog now and then.Never went out of their way to be nice to him?Think your neighbour could be one of those people that shouldn't own one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

This problem with children being mauled by aggressive dog breeds is composed of two material parts - The dogs, and the children.

You can't stop these muppets from having children, but it's an easy thing to get an outright ban on the breed and deal with the dogs.

Eliminate one element and you get no reaction.

Yeah, it's a sweeping generalisation and I know it. But there's feck all reason for ANY civilian to own a dog like that. EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Ok, yes, it's an old wives tale that their jaws literally "lock" but by god they have strong jaws and it takes a hell of a lot to prise them apart, near impossible if they're determined. My friend's staffordshire bull terrier can bite down onto a stick and be swung in the air for ages without any problems.....it's amazing the strength in their jaws, and scary when you think of what they could be capable of doing to a child.
    But any dog can display sudden aggressive behaviour that has never been witnessed before ...simply because it finds itself in a situation that it has never experienced before and it's instinctive reaction is defense. That's why it is so important that a dog is thoroughly familiarised with its environement and that a dog has a strong bond with and strong trust in its owner / handlers

So then, you'd prbably agree with me that big strong breeds like rottweilers and pittbulls should not be kept in homes where there are children, who can be extremely unpredictable at the best of times and are liable to do anything to intimidate or tease said dogs?
    Don't kid yourself ...even your little Spananiel has teeth and claws ...and instincts. Granted ..she would have a harder time trying to kill your child, but a severe injury is always on the cards.

I personally would not let a dog (any dog) sleep with a three year old unless I was sitting right next tot them, keeping an eye on them.

The dog is generally not allowed in any room other than the kitchen, but once or twice my daughter has went and got the dog from the kitchen and brought her down to the sofa and cuddled up along side the dog and they've slept together. I've always been in the room. I wouldn't let them be in bed together because for all I know the dog could end up licking its ar$e and then my daughter could kiss it on the mouth or something, so I'd find it quite a dirty habit, never mind biting/scraping etc that could go on. She's also given me and my daughter lots of scratches from her little sharp claws and nipped me once or twice, but she's not really able to inflict pain, and it would take a hell of a lot from her to draw blood and she has tried, (I mean, bit with a touch of anger behind it!!) but failed on several occasions, bless her.....

There's always the slight possibility of her scraping my daughter in the eye and causing damage or something, but I don't really leave them alone together and I still believe it's a far far smaller risk than having a big breed of a dog around the house.

Ok, yes, it's an old wives tale that their jaws literally "lock" but by god they have strong jaws and it takes a hell of a lot to prise them apart, near impossible if they're determined. My friend's staffordshire bull terrier can bite down onto a stick and be swung in the air for ages without any problems.....it's amazing the strength in their jaws, and scary when you think of what they could be capable of doing to a child.

You can also swing your spaniel from a stick ...their jaw muscles are just as strong
    So then, you'd prbably agree with me that big strong breeds like rottweilers and pittbulls should not be kept in homes where there are children, who can be extremely unpredictable at the best of times and are liable to do anything to intimidate or tease said dogs?

ehh ...no :D

These unpredictable children should either be closely supervised by a responsible adult, or be separated from the dog when supervision is not availble.

No matter what size the dog.

The dog is generally not allowed in any room other than the kitchen, but once or twice my daughter has went and got the dog from the kitchen and brought her down to the sofa and cuddled up along side the dog and they've slept together. I've always been in the room. I wouldn't let them be in bed together because for all I know the dog could end up licking its ar$e and then my daughter could kiss it on the mouth or something, so I'd find it quite a dirty habit, never mind biting/scraping etc that could go on. She's also given me and my daughter lots of scratches from her little sharp claws and nipped me once or twice, but she's not really able to inflict pain, and it would take a hell of a lot from her to draw blood and she has tried, (I mean, bit with a touch of anger behind it!!) but failed on several occasions, bless her.....

There's always the slight possibility of her scraping my daughter in the eye and causing damage or something, but I don't really leave them alone together and I still believe it's a far far smaller risk than having a big breed of a dog around the house.

The biggest risk around that house is YOU !

Read again what you just wrote ... you have failed to instill discipline in neither your dog nor your child :rolleyes:

Don't go around patting yourself on the back for not having a "dangerous dog"

With dogs (like with little children) there is no "generally it's like this, but every now and then we make an exception" ...it's either / or.

Make some changes, set some rules and don't deviate from them or you will have chaos (and possible accidents) on your hands.

padi89 wrote: »
    How do you know your neighbor never mistreated the dog? I presume you only caught a glimpse of the dog now and then.Never went out of their way to be nice to him?Think your neighbour could be one of those people that shouldn't own one.

I know because he was my next door neighbour and his son was my best friend for 25 years, i spent more time in their house than mine.
    And yes I do think they fall into the category of "shouldn't own dogs".

Divers wrote: »

I know it's only semantics, but it's important semantics;

Saying a dog has "turned" implies that the dog somehow has changed character all of a sudden ...what used to be an angel is now a devil.

That is too simplistic a view.

any dog can display sudden aggressive behaviour that has never been witnessed before ...simply because it finds itself in a situation that it has never experienced before and it's instinctive reaction is defense. That's why it is so important that a dog is thoroughly familiarised with its environement and that a dog has a strong bond with and strong trust in its owner / handlers

Lengthy ...but more accurate.

Example:

I had one of my dogs go for me once because I openend an umbrella.

It had never seen one before and got frightened. It was in a corner at the time, had no room to run away so it's only defense was attack.

We have since trained her to get used to suddenly opening umbrellas :D

Listen lets call a spade a spade.

In this case, like a lot of others involving dog on child attack, the parent was solely responsible. Its that simple.

WTF was the childs mother thinking by leaving her child in the care of another child?.

In another recenty story involving a Pitbull killing a child it turns out the child was left in the care of his grandmother, who admitted in court that she'd drank 1 bottle of wine, had drank some vodka and had smoke TEN joints throughout the day!. And the result, a mauled dead child and a dog put to sleep.

Its all very well tip toeing around the sensitivities of the mourning parents, but wake the fvck up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

the parent was solely responsible

Dumbest post yet. I think you'll find the teeth marks come from the Rottweiler not the parent.
    Simple fact is if there was no Rottweiler in the house the baby would still be alive.
    Rather than impose a total ban on these dogs I think a permit system should be introduced where potential owners could be vetted and if found suitable granted a permit to keep the dog. After all dog ownership is a privilege not a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Listen lets call a spade a spade.

In this case, like a lot of others involving dog on child attack, the parent was solely responsible. Its that simple.

WTF was the childs mother thinking by leaving her child in the care of another child?.

In another recenty story involving a Pitbull killing a child it turns out the child was left in the care of his grandmother, who admitted in court that she'd drank 1 bottle of wine, had drank some vodka and had smoke TEN joints throughout the day!. And the result, a mauled dead child and a dog put to sleep.

Its all very well tip toeing around the sensitivities of the mourning parents, but wake the fvck up folks.

here here - no one likes saying it because the parent has a lost a child which is an awful thing but they should be held responsible for their actions.

Dumbest post yet. I think you'll find the teeth marks come from the Rottweiler not the parent.
    Simple fact is if there was no Rottweiler in the house the baby would still be alive.
    Rather than impose a total ban on these dogs I think a permit system should be introduced where potential owners could be vetted and if found suitable granted a permit to keep the dog. After all dog ownership is a privilege not a right.

Oh, so lets say the same baby falls out of an open window and die's. The ground is responsible for inflicting blunt force trauma?.

had the dog not been there there were a hundred other things that could have happened to the child as it was left ALONE. He was carried out to the back yard by a 7 year old - the 7 year old could have dropped the child, cracking its head open. The older child might have feed something to child. My GP had the case of a 6 year old left alone with a 3 month old and the 6 year old gave 7-up to the 3 month old, the baby ended up in hospital as it couldn't handle the sugar and was lucky to live. If the 7 year old could open the back door what was to stop it opening the front door and wander out onto the street? My friends 5 year old always wants to give her baby sister baths, that 7 year old girl might have drowned the baby...the list is bloody endless. You don't leave children that young alone beause they are starting to move around somewhat on their own and the way they learn about the world is by sticking it in their months.

• Advertisement

Dumbest post yet.

Yea?... <read this>

ztoical wrote: »
    had the dog not been there there were a hundred other things that could have happened to the child as it was left ALONE. He was carried out to the back yard by a 7 year old - the 7 year old could have dropped the child, cracking its head open. The older child might have feed something to child. My GP had the case of a 6 year old left alone with a 3 month old and the 6 year old gave 7-up to the 3 month old, the baby ended up in hospital as it couldn't handle the sugar and was lucky to live. If the 7 year old could open the back door what was to stop it opening the front door and wander out onto the street? My friends 5 year old always wants to give her baby sister baths, that 7 year old girl might have drowned the baby...the list is bloody endless. You don't leave children that young alone beause they are starting to move around somewhat on their own and the way they learn about the world is by sticking it in their months.

Still the dumbest post?..

I wonder will the childs mother be charged with neglect?.

You might as well vet people before letting them own sharp objects then tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

and whoever said a cat could make good work of a baby....for gods sake think about what yu've just said, do you really believe a little cat could do even close to as much damage as a 10 stone rotti with massive jaws and huge teeth?

Cats CAN and DO cause serious injuries, hell even rabbits can inflict nasty injuries. I remember seeing an episode of BBC's 999 programme where a woman recollected the time she was bitten on the wrist by a rabbit, it pierced her artery and she had to call an ambulance.

As for cats, an elderly Canadian man was almost killed by his cat. He was spraying his parrot, he accidentally sprayed his aquaphobic cat and it attacked him and tore at his throat, it opened his jugular vein.

Would you want your cat to go for your child's face with its claws? I've had a 10 week old kitten sink its teeth into my arm, I had blood running down my arm and had to get a tetanus shot and it was also frelling painful.

Demonique wrote: »
    Cats CAN and DO cause serious injuries, hell even rabbits can inflict nasty injuries. I remember seeing an episode of BBC's 999 programme where a woman recollected the time she was bitten on the wrist by a rabbit, it pierced her artery and she had to call an ambulance.

As for cats, an elderly Canadian man was almost killed by his cat. He was spraying his parrot, he accidentally sprayed his aquaphobic cat and it attacked him and tore at his throat, it opened his jugular vein.

Would you want your cat to go for your child's face with its claws? I've had a 10 week old kitten sink its teeth into my arm, I had blood running down my arm and had to get a tetanus shot and it was also frelling painful.

actually the danger with cats and babies isn't that they will claw the child but that can accidentally smother it. If you have a baby asleep in a crib and a cat comes in, the cat will go lie near the warmest object in the room which would most likely be the baby. Might sound daft but it has happened, thou I will admit its very rare.

Should point out this is not the same as the urban legand that cats suck the breath out of babies - thats a pile of horse sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A cat scratched my nose when I was seven.
    The blood covered both my sleeves by the time I got home.
    I still have the scar. It was small, but deep.

Don't ever recall being bitten by a dog, but my friend had a really vicious German Shepherd that tried to bite me several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Here's a video of a cat flipping out, it's the infamous Pinkie incident, I saw this on 'When Animals Attack' a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDJZhZ187M&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Demonique wrote: »
    Here's a video of a cat flipping out, it's the infamous Pinkie incident, I saw this on 'When Animals Attack' a few years back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDJZhZ187M&feature=related
    Anyone got a clip of "When animals attack magicians"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

Terry wrote: »
    A cat scratched my nose when I was seven.
    The blood covered both my sleeves by the time I got home.
    I still have the scar. It was small, but deep.

Don't ever recall being bitten by a dog, but my friend had a really vicious German Shepherd that tried to bite me several times.

yea cats are violent little feckers i had a kitten when i was about 14 and the thing slit my ****in wrist when it attacked me ! :mad: was an accident tho
    it was only play fighting as they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

May I point out that staffies (staffordshire bull terriers) are one of the only few breeds of dog actually recommended for a house with children. I do agree that even with a loving family, a minority of dogs can still turn. But this can be virtually eliminated when you first buy the puppy. If the parents have good stable temperaments, then the puppy as an adult will too.
    Proud staffie onwer for many years, and have never had a bad incident with any of mine.
    Again, you have to remeber you are dealing with an animal, no matter how domesticated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Blowna, if you notice that your sister's dog is deferent
    to the family, protective of the children, well exercised
    and cared for, then it sounds very good. Have a look at
    the reason for the breed's existence online. If you can,
    indicate to your daughter that a dog is not a plaything,
    and beyond that, never leave them alone together, as
    you know. Have a look at the 'temperament' section
    of this:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/rottweiler/

Hope that helps :)