Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Yep, I was passing that way this week. The overpass bridge was covered by guys, it looked more like pyramid building technique.
    But there is still a huge amount of work to be done on the road, I don't hink 6 months will do it. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Westmeath Independent had it a few weeks ago that the Moate to Athlone section would be handed over to the council by April. This was based on the builder having already given this committment to Westmeath co co about 3 weeks ago. There was no mention of the Kilbeggan to Moate section although this is definitely further progressed than Athlone to Moate.
    Its hard to know exactly how much of the road between Moate and Athlone is complete but i am fairly sure the final layers have been applied to the section from the start of the Moate to Athlone section as far as the overpass bridge. I guess we have to take the builders for what they said

• Yep, I was passing that way this week. The overpass bridge was covered by guys, it looked more like pyramid building technique.
    But there is still a huge amount of work to be done on the road, I don't hink 6 months will do it. Maybe.
    Went past a couple of days ago (in daylight for a change) and the deck appears complete except for railings, if that is the case then we can expect it to be in use during February as all that is needed now is the road surface. Also noticed that one of the side roads (just west of the overpass bridge) is now diverted under one of the new bridges.

• Just noticed that some of the new signs erected on the Athlone - Kilbeggan section are blue so at least this section will open as motorway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Now that is interesting - this road is not being built under an MO so does someone in Westmeath CC know something about the motorway reclassification process that we don't...

• Advertisement

• It'll be interesting to see when they upgrade the Kilbeggan - Kinnegad section. The Athlone bypass itself has new green signs - so it appears that this section will remain non-motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

I know it's not been to long but has anyone heard anything more on this?:confused:

• No new news on the opening date, but the junction at the Athlone end is now complete.

I was just on dublin to Galway route today and I rekon no wa ythe road is open by April, underneath the bridge outside of Moate is just a mudpile - not nearly a road and further to Athlone there are a few random bridges in fields :D. surely End of April is a pipe dream -thoughts?

Pittabang wrote: »
    I was just on dublin to Galway route today and I rekon no wa ythe road is open by April, underneath the bridge outside of Moate is just a mudpile - not nearly a road and further to Athlone there are a few random bridges in fields :D. surely End of April is a pipe dream -thoughts?

Well the builder has already committed to April as the handover date to the council for the Moate to Athlone section. Pretty much all the way from east of the flyover bridge close to Moate all the way to Kilbeggan is a long way towards completion. The only main section that hasn't at least the base layer of tarmac is from the flyover bridge close to Moate to about a mile east of there and that is understandable as there is a huge amount of fill making up the re-route around the flyover bridge that has to go somewhere. There is also 1 or 2 other sections from there to Athlone that don't yet have the base layer.

• Advertisement

• Pittabang wrote: »

Sure!! a bit of pixie dust and "ping" it's ready for April 1st.
    If you throw enough resources at it it's still possible! :eek:

EDIT: The weather hasn't helped! but having said that, the original completion date was end 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

I think it's just about possible. Once all the structures are complete, and they nearly are, the road laying itself should be done quickly.

The builders start at 7am and they stop at 6pm. There's even a weekend crew although there don't seem to be too many working on Sunday.

As someone who moved to Moate a year ago, I'll be delighted to see the bypass open. I reckon it'll save me at least 20 minutes each way. Thats quality lie-in time!

• Just seen this weeks "Westmeath Independant" It has reported that the new road is expected to open in August/September :(
    But look on the bright side, it was originally planned to open in October :rolleyes:

That is shocking bad news for me- you have no idea. I travel through Moate 4 times every second weekend and I really can't bear it. I was al set to be bypassing from end of April- I am devestated:(:(:(

• I know the feeling. The (long way round) alternative route is via Mullingar then Athlone via Ballymore.

I know the feeling. The (long way round) alternative route is via Mullingar then Athlone via Ballymore.
    That is shocking bad news for me- you have no idea. I travel through Moate 4 times every second weekend and I really can't bear it. I was al set to be bypassing from end of April- I am devestated

Living in Moate, I know exactly how you feel!

If you need a shortcut, there's an unclassified road just north of Moate that runs parallel to the town. From the Athlone side, you can reach it if you go via Mount Temple or the first left turn in Moate (Windmill Road). It's at an old crossroads (Killachonna) 1 mile from Moate where the main flow is now west/south. You need to take the east road, follow it for about a mile until you reach another cross roads. Go right (south) and you'll reach the Dublin side of Moate. You can take a left in the town to reach the N6 at Bart's shop. Check the route on http://maps.google.com. Search for moate, ireland.

The road is narrow and twisty but it's far shorter than the atrocious Farnagh alternative south of Moate. On a non-icy winters day it's ok to drive on because other drivers have their lights on and there's not much foliage obstructing your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I saw this on a map once, tried it and ended up in Athlone. I did not end up back on the N6 though, so somewhere i took a wrong turn or missed a turn.. anyway i was going to Athlone but i ended up taking the back roads all the way from Moate to get there :D

Thanks for ths shortcut tip. I had previously taken the one south of Moate through Tober(Tubber) butthe road is far too narrow and feckin Vans were using it. I'd rather sit in the traffice than ditch my car every few yards to let oncoming cars pass. Is the north road wider than this ?
    God I sound like an explorer :D:D:D

Thanks for ths shortcut tip. I had previously taken the one south of Moate through Tober(Tubber) butthe road is far too narrow and feckin Vans were using it. I'd rather sit in the traffice than ditch my car every few yards to let oncoming cars pass. Is the north road wider than this ?
    God I sound like an explorer :D:D:D

I hate to disappoint you but it's as narrow as the southern road. :(

However it's much shorter and has only one dodgy stretch. Traffic is lighter on it than the southern back road. I'd quite often meet no other cars when forced to use it.

It's useful if the tailback through Moate is particularly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

I suppose if you're going from west of Ballinasloe to Dublin (or vice versa) you could always go through Shannonbridge and then Clara or Tullamore. Quite a lot is bog road but it's quite and you can easily do 70 or 80 km/h most of the way. Check it out here:
    Google maps - alternative route

Also, for those sad people (like me) who just can't get enough of maps, here is the proposed N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone route on Google Maps:
    N6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone.
    While drawing this I noticed that I could not understand the justification for junction 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

ga2re2t wrote: »
    Also, for those sad people (like me) who just can't get enough of maps, here is the proposed N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone route on Google Maps:
    N6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone.
    While drawing this I noticed that I could not understand the justification for junction 7.

Good work. I agree - I'm a bit puzzled by this junction as well. The only way I could figure it is as follows:

1. They've put junction 7 where it is in order to tie in Moate and the N80. Good. Westbound traffic from Kilbeggan for Moate exits off here.
    2. But, eastbound traffic from Athlone would have to double-back to reach Moate. So, put in junction 7 (and have them roll along the old N6 for a bit). However,
    3. This means that westbound traffic from Kilbeggan bound for the N62 will either have to:
    a. Double-back from junction 8 :( or,
    b. Join the R444 for a few miles :(

Why they couldn't have built a link directly from the new road to the N62 is beyond me. I detect a whiff of compromise (or is it bean-counting?) in the air.

serfboard wrote: »
    Why they couldn't have built a link directly from the new road to the N62 is beyond me. I detect a whiff of compromise (or is it bean-counting?) in the air.
    I can't even see the need for linking the N6 to the N62, particularly if you're coming from the east. If you want to go to Birr and beyond then you'd take the N52 and the proposed Tullamore bypass (under construction). Ferbane is too small to warrant this.
    It could also be a tourist thing. I imagine they'll have a sign at junction 7 for Clonmacnoise and the Galway/Offaly Shannon region. There maybe also be plans to upgrade the R444. The N62 is definitely earmarked by Offaly Co Co to be upgraded with bypasses of Ferbane, Cloghan and Birr, so this would fit well into this.

In any case, what's done is done and I doubt anyone cares as long as they can bypass Moate! :D

• That junction was an add-on, I recon that they had this idea of opening the Moate - Kilbeggan section first then realised that the only junction was to the east of Moate.
    So add in a new (cheap) junction to the west and bypass Moate as soon as possible. It's a good thing that plan was shelved as this junction would have been a nightmare, with westbound traffic having to turn right from a minor road onto the old N6 & being held up by all the eastbound local traffic etc.

Don't be surprised if it is'nt built at all now!

Agggghhhhhh ....... what a pain. How the hell do they originally commit April and then a couple of months later say August / September. A 4 month delay introduced in 2 months. Something stinks here. Almost every section of major inter-urban routes opened over the last few years have been opened anything from 4 to 12 months ahead of schedule and on budget.
    Hmmm ....... with pretty much all the contracts for all the major inter-urban routes having been signed and uncertainty about the likelihood of future projects cos of tightening government finance and the Greens being in power, what would you do if you were the road developer in this case ??? take longer to build it and go over budget by a few pound ?!?!?

blast05 wrote: »
    Hmmm ....... with pretty much all the contracts for all the major inter-urban routes having been signed and uncertainty about the likelihood of future projects cos of tightening government finance and the Greens being in power, what would you do if you were the road developer in this case ??? take longer to build it and go over budget by a few pound ?!?!?
    Of course, it makes sense! Damn it! Unfortunately, we can probably expect more of this.
    (Don't know what you mean by the Greens being in power. There's little they can really do. Talk to any civil servant and you'll soon understand that ministers are more figureheads than anything else).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

August/September is still ahead of schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blast05 wrote: »
    A 4 month delay introduced in 2 months.
    It is possible in many situations.

If say, you hoped to get something done before winter set in, but for whatever reason couldn't, you might have to wait 4-6 months for the weather to improve.

Its only since about the end of November that they announced April as the opening date. Surely there was nothing they were planning to do in December or January that could delay it.
    All major structures are more or less complete (apart from 1 or 2 near Athlone) and only relatively 'short' sections between Athlone and Moate don't have at least a base layer of tarmac

I'll be heading through 4 times this weekend so I'll try to have a good goo as I am going past to see any progress. I'll be interested to see progress on bridge just outside the town on Athlone side where completion and then demolition of existing road has to happen next I assume

• Advertisement

Great to see last week that the bridge in the previous post is almost completed. I suspect there can't be much left is getting this completed. Any other major improvments of note?:confused::confused:

Advertisement