Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Bridge opposite Ballydonagh landfill site to be opened to traffic next week. All the way from that bridge to the interchange at the east end of the Athlone bypass now has the base layer of tarmac in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

ga2re2t wrote: »
    Just noticed that when you ask Google maps for a Dublin-Galway itinerary, it now takes you on the, as yet unfinished, N6 Moate bypass!
    Check it out here.

no way thats mad! funny though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

the funny thing is that the road isn't done yet. Hang on that's not funny afterall..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

July - what a joke. Give us our road already

• July - what a joke. Give us our road already
    July??? where did you see that? (just curious)

• Advertisement

Just from one of the earlier poster's guesstimates.

Farcial that it would take so long to get this done. Why they bothered with a bypass of Kilbeggan is beyond me. The problem is M-O-A-T-E. Sort that out first, then well worry about the smaller bottlenecks (if you could call Kilbeggan or Horseleap such)

I think its retarded that the NRA do all of these roads from Dublin outward. E.g they organised the M4 all the way up to Kinnegad. Then the N6 to Tyrellspass. Then Kilbeggan. Now to Athlone.

I miss the old days when they thought practically about the relative size of each town, and not on how close it was to Dublin. The Athlone bypass is a magnificent example of such.

I know that i wont care once its done, but for now, my username is very apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

continuity on a DC/M-way will maintain speed and shorten overall time travelled, instead of motorway - single lane through a town - motorway for a bit - then single lane again. I think the olden days of local lobbying to get a single lane bypass are thankfully gone. The size of the town has nothing to do with the overall traffic and major destinations at the end of the road (Dublin - Athlone -Galway). Same with Cork - Dublin. Build it from the cities where far more people live and work and create a continuity of road; unfortunately, it means that the small amount of people living in the midlands towns have to take it as it comes (although bearing in mind, the cities have far far more tax payers contributing to these roads so they IMHO should get priority building).

So makes sense to build the roads in continuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Just from one of the earlier poster's guesstimates.

Farcial that it would take so long to get this done. Why they bothered with a bypass of Kilbeggan is beyond me. The problem is M-O-A-T-E. Sort that out first, then well worry about the smaller bottlenecks (if you could call Kilbeggan or Horseleap such)

I think its retarded that the NRA do all of these roads from Dublin outward. E.g they organised the M4 all the way up to Kinnegad. Then the N6 to Tyrellspass. Then Kilbeggan. Now to Athlone.

I miss the old days when they thought practically about the relative size of each town, and not on how close it was to Dublin. The Athlone bypass is a magnificent example of such.

I know that i wont care once its done, but for now, my username is very apt

The object of the current National Road Plan is to provide motorway links between the major urban centres using a rollout system. Take the N6 - the NRA are not interested in Moate - they look at the N6 as a whole and break it into sections so that contractors can get the motorway built ASAP. The N6 from Kinnegead to Athlone was proposed as one 58km (approx.) scheme for the EIS/CPO stage. I guess it was then seen as too big for a single contractor to take on, so the scheme was split exactly in two as it would be the most practical solution for build-ability purposes. I don't think Moate came into the equation at all - such thinking was used in the 1990's with motorways like the M1 and M7 Naas to Portlaoise - let's see how long they took to build...

M1...

First Scheme: Airport Road - 5km - Opened 1986
    Final Scheme: Dundalk Western By-pass - 11km app - Opened 2006

M7...

First Scheme: Naas By-pass - 8km - Opened 1983
    Final Scheme: Heath to Mayfield - 17km app - Opened 2004

These motorways were built on a modular basis to serve the short-term objective of by-passing towns and bottlenecks, while fitting into the long-term motorway master-plan. The motorway sections were made extendable at the tie-in points. There are many very good examples of this along the entire M1. However, at more than 20 years a piece, it was ridiculous the length of time in completing the routes, as well as wastage in rebuilding at the tie-ins (even with the pre-planning aspect). This is why we have the rollout system today.

Regards!

Yes but these schemes are all dual carriageway.

A simple one-lane bypass of Moate would have worked wonders for it. Quick and efficient. Witness the Loughrea bypass.

• And Enfield! yes I know half of it is N4, but it's still benefits Dublin - Galway traffic.

• Advertisement

Yes but these schemes are all dual carriageway.

...for the moment that is! Under new legislation (which supersedes long winded motorway orders), the N6 Kinnegead to Athlone HQDC is one of the routes for which a fast track motorway application has been submitted. The same goes for the N7 Borris to Limerick, N8 Cullahill to Fermoy, and N9 Kilcullen to Waterford. Other HQDC sections may follow.
    A simple one-lane bypass of Moate would have worked wonders for it. Quick and efficient. Witness the Loughrea bypass.

Agree - but on another note, the existing N6 will serve as a major access route for the eventual M6 and therefore, Moate should be by-passed like Enfield and Kinnegead was. I think the same would go for Kilbeggan. However, with this in mind, these simple by-passes should have been done well before the N6 HQDC came about.

Regards!

And Enfield! yes I know half of it is N4, but it's still benefits Dublin - Galway traffic.

I heard a lot of complaints concerning the Enfield By-pass with motorists at the time saying it was easier and shorter to go through Enfield itself. However, I didn't hear too much about traffic snarl-ups in the aftermath either. The by-pass probably functioned as a traffic relief valve before the M4 came on stream. All in all, this by-pass might only be described as a limited success due to its u-shaped design with roundabouts.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Actualy make more sense this way. the sections closer to Dublin have more traffic.

• Actualy make more sense this way. the sections closer to Dublin have more traffic.
    True, when you consider that the majority of the jobs are in Dublin and all roads leading to Dublin are principaly used by commuters firstly, then by goods & services and those needing to travel from Dublin to elsewhere (not commuting).

If full focus was put on the 2-3 mile section around Moate of the Athlone to Kinnegad motorway from day one, with an entry and exit point on to the motorway at either end of the 2-3 mile section as is the case now, then Moate would have been by-passed at least 6 months ago.

• Probably not that quick, as the N6 overbridge was a major structure and this M6 section is the last to be laid. The remainder (i believe) is as good as finished, just needs the final layer of tarmac & lines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The N6 from Kinnegead to Athlone was proposed as one 58km (approx.) scheme for the EIS/CPO stage. I guess it was then seen as too big for a single contractor to take on, so the scheme was split exactly in two as it would be the most practical solution for build-ability purposes.
    I think it was also convenient that it lead to Tullamore and it was an election year.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

I really just can't wait until this road is opened! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas :D Just open the road already!

Yes Gerard, but its not a good idea to encourage everything to go through Dublin. Theres only limited space there, and with the new push on operational efficiency of companies and the fact that it costs much less to setup/live outside Dublin than within, it could be a good idea to develop places in the midlands/west/northwest.

Fair enough, Dublin should get the bulk of priority for infrastructure, but it would be nice to develop other areas with bypasses/ida investment and even a small airport in the midlands. In time, they would pay for themselves with tax generation. Alternatives to Dublin should be made available -it would benefit everyone, including Dubs who would have the little bit more space on the M50, a little less time queueing for ATMs etc as a result

Come to think of it, the Sligo-Galway M17 plan is a major step in the right direction for these alternatives, so at least the govt are making progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yes Gerard, but its not a good idea to encourage everything to go through Dublin. Theres only limited space there, and with the new push on operational efficiency of companies and the fact that it costs much less to setup/live outside Dublin than within, it could be a good idea to develop places in the midlands/west/northwest.

Fair enough, Dublin should get the bulk of priority for infrastructure, but it would be nice to develop other areas with bypasses/ida investment and even a small airport in the midlands. In time, they would pay for themselves with tax generation. Alternatives to Dublin should be made available -it would benefit everyone, including Dubs who would have the little bit more space on the M50, a little less time queueing for ATMs etc as a result

Come to think of it, the Sligo-Galway M17 plan is a major step in the right direction for these alternatives, so at least the govt are making progress

Yes! more White Elephants for the regions, now!

• Advertisement

"MORE" white elephants? PLEASE name me one existing in these regions? Yeah that airport at Knock is some white elephant - quite the opposite actually. The Letterkenny bypass anyone? Another one of your "white elephants"?

Seeing as you quoted no specific part of my post, you obviously think its all nonsense. The sun does not shine out of any nations capital - look at any successful nation like the US, UK, France. Many more examples. You do not need to go to these places capitals for a good standard of living, plentiful jobs, airports and decent roads.

Long story short, I think that the country would benefit from subscribing to my theory that theres plenty more to be had outside the Pale. The growing number of Dublin accents in midland counties like Offaly, Westmeath and Laois shows that im not the only one who thinks this.

And once again, White Elephant? Please do your research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

"MORE" white elephants? PLEASE name me one existing in these regions? Yeah that airport at Knock is some white elephant - quite the opposite actually. The Letterkenny bypass anyone? Another one of your "white elephants"?

Seeing as you quoted no specific part of my post, you obviously think its all nonsense. The sun does not shine out of any nations capital - look at any successful nation like the US, UK, France. Many more examples. You do not need to go to these places capitals for a good standard of living, plentiful jobs, airports and decent roads.

Long story short, I think that the country would benefit from subscribing to my theory that theres plenty more to be had outside the Pale. The growing number of Dublin accents in midland counties like Offaly, Westmeath and Laois shows that im not the only one who thinks this.

And once again, White Elephant? Please do your research

Evidently we disagree on what the definition of what a white elephant is.

To me Airports in the middle of no where are white elephants.

what are you suggesting? seriously? that people in the midlands with Dub accents are truly happy to be there and would not wish to be much closer to Dublin? that their overpriced house in some dormitory town with a 2hr commute and zero public transport alternatives is the Celtic Tiger dream.

i'm all for developing critical mass outside of Dublin which have decent roads, amenities, public transport etc.

that means developing select regional centres (Think Cork not Tullamore) and focusing policies to develop that area.

what are you suggesting? seriously? that people in the midlands with Dub accents are truly happy to be there and would not wish to be much closer to Dublin? that their overpriced house in some dormitory town with a 2hr commute and zero public transport alternatives is the Celtic Tiger dream.

What about the tens if not hundreds of thousands of people living in Dublin that do not have Dublin accents and only live there out of economic necessity ?
    Is there any country in the developed world that has as high a percentage of economic activity in its capital city and surrounding area as Ireland has ?

Probably not that quick, as the N6 overbridge was a major structure and this M6 section is the last to be laid. The remainder (i believe) is as good as finished, just needs the final layer of tarmac & lines etc.

There were bridges close to Kilbeggan that were well on the way to being built before any work started on that major structure near Moate plus there was no reason why this section should have been the last to be laid

• True, they could have started the Moate west bridge earlier.

Evidently we disagree on what the definition of what a white elephant is.

A large percentage of these dubs living in such places have found employment in Athlone, Mullingar, Portlaoise etc etc without needing to return to their capital city. Mightnt be exactly a "dream", but this is Ireland, not Disneyland and im sure they make do. Many appreciate the added peace and quiet they get from the transition.

As for the commuters with "zero public transport alternatives", I must have been seeing mirages there today when i drove by the local bus/train station. Between Bue E, Irish Rail, Bus Nestor, Citylink and countless more, you do not NEED a car to commute to Dublin. As for getting round the towns, most now have local bus services. Not perfect ill agree, hence my argument for developing such areas.

And commuting times...it really takes 2 hours to get to Dublin from Mullingar? Even Athlone will soon be less than 90 mins once Moate gets bypassed.

Anyways, getting back to the thread title, hurry up and open the bypass already! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

what are you suggesting? seriously? that people in the midlands with Dub accents are truly happy to be there and would not wish to be much closer to Dublin?

Well I am! :D

I don't commute to Dublin though, work locally and loving it, much better quality of life for myself and the new family.

I'm looking forward to the new road to Dublin being open so family can come and visit us with less hassle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

blast05 wrote: »
    Is there any country in the developed world that has as high a percentage of economic activity in its capital city and surrounding area as Ireland has ?

Hmmm, yes! Most countries in fact. Pick up a Leaving Certificate geography book and learn about the "Core" regions of developed countries.
    Ireland is small though so it only has one true core region - Dublin. Larger countries may have several core regions. But take France as an example: 10 million people live in the Paris Basin region (Ile-de-France), which is about 1/6 of France's population. As with Dublin in Ireland, in France all major infrastructure leads to Paris. That's how strong economies work I'm afraid.

Thats 1/6th in your French example.

Ours is almost 1/3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On topic please.

Advertisement