Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio 1 censors the word "****" from Fairytale of New York

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I find Shania Twain's lyrics offensive. Her sometimes male-bashing or over exaggerated stereotypes are not 100% representative of the common male opinion. What are the BBC going to do?

It depends, if your a straight white male you'll be told to go and **** yourself and stop being so sensitive.

If your anyone else they'll pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Dragan wrote: »
    *always thought a **** was a small piece of dry firewood*

It is.. if ya forget to spell it with 2 g's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They should censor that whole f*cking song! Its the worst thing about Christmas tbh.

+1000

Odious rotten song. I loathe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Because he's a ......... you guessed it!

.... unscrupulous charlatan who has no reservations about rewriting a classic tune to fit his target market of wholesome families and pre-teen girls?

Oh and he's also a **** btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

BBC Radio 1 controller just on the radio to say its reversed this stupid act and the un edited version will play on the air from this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

ok whatever floats your boat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

as a spokeswoman for the love a maggot association, I am thoroughly offended by these lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I find it odd that someone is trying to get the UK Christmas Number 1 with "Hava Nagila", the Jewish folk song. Christmas has been hijacked by everybody.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/935420.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Pigman II wrote: »
    .... unscrupulous charlatan who has no reservations about rewriting a classic tune to fit his target market of wholesome families and pre-teen girls?

Oh and he's also a **** btw.

You got my first lol of the day.

I salute you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And now they are playing the un-censored version.

Is this a sign that there is absolutely nothing else happening in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Its nigh on impossible to censor a **** methinks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

latchyco wrote: »
    Its a very British establishment thing to meddle and interfere with stuff ,.Remember that dj mike read refusing to play ' god save the queen'

He is now an establishment luvvie :D
    Yep, he ran for Conservative Mayor of London. But wasn't it Frankie's Relax that he refused to play?
    Robbo wrote: »
    I heard they were banning the phrase "political correctness gone mad" it's highly offensive to minorities who prefer not to converse solely through banality...
    Hee hee. God how I hate that expression...
    You think that's bad?

Paramount censor ''ass'' from the likes of That 70's Show. :rolleyes:

Anyway... who cares exactly?
    Ah it's a pain in the arse when lyrics to a great song are bleeped out.
    But yeah, re That 70s Show: I find it amusing the way MTV etc bleep out the word "ass" at 2am but have no problem actually SHOWING a load of female ass at... any time of the day really.
    Slow coach wrote: »
    +1000

But you'd prefer it to, say, Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone or Cliff's Mistletoe and Wine or Boney M's Mary's Boy Child... wouldn't you?
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you.
    :D
    You got my first lol of the day.

I salute you.
    It took until 6pm for you to lol? And on Christmas week? You are one serious dude! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Surprised it was allowed for so long to be honest... It's an offensive term for homosexuals (as well as being a bundle of sticks). If the song was "you cheap lousy n*gger", I wonder would it still be "PC gone mad."

You're either allowed to use those kinds of words on the radio, or you're not... Can't pick and choose.

But would you not make allowances for context?

Dudess wrote: »
    But would you not make allowances for context?
    I'm sure you would... Like if you were having a discussion on how offensive the term "f*ggot" is, then you would probably be permitted to use the term...... Not sure this song qualifies though! The context is that she is using "f*ggot" in the same sentence as scumbag, maggot, cheap, and lousy.......

But, while it's being used as an insult, I don't think it's necessarily a dig at gay men.
    BrookieD wrote: »
    ok whatever floats your boat
    I can't BELIEVE there are still people on this earth who don't get Simpsons references! :) Come on, Brookie, start watching those yellow people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Surprised it was allowed for so long to be honest... It's an offensive term for homosexuals (as well as being a bundle of sticks). If the song was "you cheap lousy n*gger", I wonder would it still be "PC gone mad."

You're either allowed to use those kinds of words on the radio, or you're not... Can't pick and choose.

It's allowed again now, Auntie has reversed her decision

I've heard this censored for a few years now, one of the Sky music stations was bound to do it at some time over the Christmas period. The "offensive" lyric was simply blanked out. But I've heard worse, not even the word "ass" ... I've heard "gun" being censored in a couple of songs over the last year or so. Absolute madness "eh, I heard Rihanna say gun so I'm gonna whip out a glock at me oul one"

As much as everyone attempts to hijack Christmas number ones, I think they're already the forte of "reality TV" manufactured artists and groups. I wouldn't be surprised if the new X Factor winner gets it.

• Advertisement

But, while it's being used as an insult, I don't think it's necessarily a dig at gay men.

True enough, it's a dig at Shane McGowan (in the song), but it's using an offensive term for homosexual to insult him, and in so doing, it's also associating homosexuality with being a bad thing. I mean, I could call my white straight friend a f*ggoty n*gger, and that would be considered by most people to be unacceptable. I don't think it's up for debate much that it's offensive to gays; more whether it should be allowed on radio or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyway... who cares exactly?

OMG!! The 's' word!!! We must censor this post!!!111

Probably the same people that would have the above style of thinking.
    Scary, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Those bloody Brits, always trying to keep the little Irish man down, they haven't changed since Cromwell!

True enough, it's a dig at Shane McGowan (in the song), but it's using an offensive term for homosexual to insult him, and in so doing, it's also associating homosexuality with being a bad thing. I mean, I could call my white straight friend a f*ggoty n*gger, and that would be considered by most people to be unacceptable. I don't think it's up for debate much that it's offensive to gays; more whether it should be allowed on radio or not.
    All true. But I think what appeals to people about that song is its honesty and the way it's kinda gritty. And that's the kind of language hard-drinking, tough Irish immigrants would have used - not that it was a good thing or anything, but that level of realism... I just find it fantastic, and I really think shame on the BBC for sticking its oar in - even if it did ultimately reverse its decision.

My favourite Christmas song :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

Karsini wrote: »
    I've heard this censored for a few years now, one of the Sky music stations was bound to do it at some time over the Christmas period. The "offensive" lyric was simply blanked out. But I've heard worse, not even the word "ass" ... I've heard "gun" being censored in a couple of songs over the last year or so. Absolute madness "eh, I heard Rihanna say gun so I'm gonna whip out a glock at me oul one"

Haha. That reminded me of one of Chris Rock's stand-up shows.

"White man makes guns, no problem. Black rapper says 'gun' - congressional hearing.”

MTV is terrible for censorship. They actually censored out the words "nuclear war" in Gay Bar by Electric Six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I was livid when I heard this this morning at work, especially as an avid fan of BBC R1 and an advocate of it's merits on this forum. The gay rights agenda that this bullsh*t decision panders to has been rising inexorably for the last few years, but I never thought it would come to this....it's funny though because if you listen to a lot of stuff on the playlists, it has no bother promoting underage sex/drinking or the use of recreational drugs....but heaven forbid we might offend a few queers. :rolleyes:
    This isn't PC gone mad as much as it is the pink lobby in the halls of broadcasting house.
    Just to note that I'm not the biggest fan of Fairytale (played out IMO) but as others have mentioned, it's the whole context of the lyrics...there is NO insult to homosexuals; anyone that construes such from the song needs their ears testing or a crash course in basic literacy...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Slow coach wrote: »

But you'd prefer it to, say, Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone or Cliff's Mistletoe and Wine or Boney M's Mary's Boy Child... wouldn't you?

You don't know me; I'm an old fashioned dude. Believe me, the Pogues are at the VERY VERY bottom of my Christmas song list, beneath even Slade, Shakin' Stevens and Cliff.

/shuffles off, humming "Stille Nacht"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If it was sung by a black rapper, nothing would be said of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yep, he ran for Conservative Mayor of London. But wasn't it Frankie's Relax that he refused to play?
    Actually your right Dude ,twas frankie and not the sex pistols .

He probably had the countrys (teen ) morals in mind when he banned it :D

Advertisement