Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio 1 censors the word "****" from Fairytale of New York

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ahh liven up!! its a great song

Sorry, but I really really really hate that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thing about that song is non-irish people associate it with ireland and irishness ,now weather thats a good or bad thing is debatable as it is here.

I like the song even with it's stage irish pretentious lyrics .

I can imagine any ex-pat weather he be in London NY or Sydney hearing that song at christmas with images of the old sod in his/her head .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

An absolutely fantastic song, one I think history will record with greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The BBC censorship has always been a farce, although this is pretty strange. What were they doing for the past 20 years where it wasn't censored? I find it hard to believe anyone would get offended by the word ****, especially in the context it's used in that song. Although needless censorship and PC seems to be the latest craze. Meteor ad anyone?

And just to add, I used to love the song as a kid, but now every time i hear it being played it's like being repeatadly punched in the ears. That and 'Do They Know It's Christmas?'. Nasty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

the beeb's are too sensitive... you scumbag you maggot you cheapy lousy beep.. FFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You think that's bad?

Paramount censor ''ass'' from the likes of That 70's Show. :rolleyes:

Anyway... who cares exactly?

Mtv do that as well. It's really irritating. If I remember correctly from my days working there Tesco didn't censor it when it was played. Didn't the bbc ban The drugs don't work because it encouraged drug taking even though it was about something completely different.

The BBC also banned The Kinks from using the words "Coca Cola" in one of their songs and banned "Lets Spend The Night Together" by The Rolling Stones. They've been at it for years I tells ya! Also banned Aon Focail Eile lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Any gay guys posting here who are offended by the use of the word "****" in that song?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why did they ban the words coca cola?

Why did they ban the words coca cola?
    My dad told me about this one. No advertising on the BBC basically. So they used the words "cherry cola" instead.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    My dad told me about this one. No advertising on the BBC basically. So they used the words "cherry cola" instead.
    Remember the infamouse "sticky backed plastic" on "Blue peter" in the olden days! ;)

Have recently noticed that on an ever increasing number of programmes brand names are being pixelated more than ever before, not just the Beeb, but many commercial channels who can't get any revenue out of manufacturers whoes products happen to be on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Have recently noticed that on an ever increasing number of programmes brand names are being pixelated more than ever before, not just the Beeb, but many commercial channels who can't get any revenue out of manufacturers whoes products happen to be on show.

I wouldn't blame them if that is the reason. Why should they give free advertising to companies? I believe the main reason for it is product placement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dudess wrote: »
    It took until 6pm for you to lol? And on Christmas week? You are one serious dude! ;)

Don't judge the man, just be grateful I came along in time.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame them if that is the reason. Why should they give free advertising to companies? I believe the main reason for it is product placement.
    Yes you're right about placed products, but it seems to have extended to any label on anything that is in view, for example a man looks out the window and a van with
    on the side passes by nothing to do with the plot at all, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Aww that's crap. I hate seeing the artists original vision distorted, for whatever reason :(
    Censorship should be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Tempest in a pisspot.

Dire Straits' Money for Nothin uses "****" more often and with more invective than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

E's are good, E's are good!

Errr I mean Ebeneezer good

I remember the hoopla about this song and IT eventually got by so once again the PC brigade talk out of their asses, publicise a release and creep back into their holes.

And I don't mean caves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Reversed decision by BBC regarding "Fairytale of New York":

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/1219/pogues.html

Everything back to normal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm sure the PC mob will just go for the jackpot next year and ban christmas altogether. These are the same guys that said you can't advertise a football to lads or a barbie doll to girls.

I remember way way back watching Top of the Pops one night and they censored the word 'Arse' from Divine Comedy's National Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Isn't it funny, how more people are offended by the fact that a classic Christmas song was censored, than were ever offended by the original lyrics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

shame

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I heard those PC bastards at the BBC now have Kevin "bloody" Wilson's classic track "hey santa claus you c**t" in their sights :mad:

The BBC have done a U-Turn on their decision so

THE DISCUSSION IS CLOSED,

THANK YOU

Who made you a moderator?

Noone,
    Dont get upset now

I became upset a long time ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Surprised it was allowed for so long to be honest... It's an offensive term for homosexuals (as well as being a bundle of sticks). If the song was "you cheap lousy n*gger", I wonder would it still be "PC gone mad."

You're either allowed to use those kinds of words on the radio, or you're not... Can't pick and choose.

True enough, let's ban Mark Twain. Do you know how many times the word n*igger is used in Huckleberry Finn? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

This is rubbish.

The Minister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Karsini wrote: »
    The BBC also banned The Kinks from using the words "Coca Cola" in one of their songs and banned "Lets Spend The Night Together" by The Rolling Stones. They've been at it for years I tells ya! Also banned Aon Focail Eile lol.
    When the stones appeared on the ed sullivan show they were asked to change the 'word ' spend' in the song to somthing else although i think jagger went ahead and said ' spend' anyway.

I think Lucy in the sky with diamonds was also banned by the bbc for it's (so called) drug message LSD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

A Day in the Life as well. Because of the line "I'd like to turn you on"

Apparently, the ban was never actually lifted.

Advertisement