Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio 1 censors the word "****" from Fairytale of New York

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I find it odd that someone is trying to get the UK Christmas Number 1 with "Hava Nagila", the Jewish folk song. Christmas has been hijacked by everybody.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/935420.html

Irony is the Jewish community do not even celebrate "Christmas" :D

:::: ven0mous ::::

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    They are censoring it because someone might be offended. For shame. Bundles of dry sticks everywhere, unite against censorship. Can't say I listen to BBC Radio 1 anyway. I am more of a BBC Radio 2 person.

Classic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Blisterman wrote: »
    A Day in the Life as well. Because of the line "I'd like to turn you on"

Apparently, the ban was never actually lifted.
    I thought it was on account of the lines in the middle "Found my way upstairs and had a smoke. Somebody spoke and I went into a dream." Clearly about drug use. But then, so was most of the late 60's!

Good news that the ban has been lifted. It is only a word, and I agree that there doesn't really seem to be any more negative intent with '****' than there is with 'maggot' in the context.
    Words in general should be de-stigmatized, in my opinion. I liekt he fact that characters say sh*t in Southpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smokeandmirrors

RTE's Morning Ireland show this morning had an interview with renowned 'liberal' Peter Tatchell (representing something erm called the Queer Rights Group) defending the indefensible.

At least the BBC Controller had the good grace to say he was embarassed.

If it were April 1 we'd get the joke...although it is the silly season I suppose.

btw there is a full text transcript of the segment downloadable from http://www.transcripts.ie/2007Review.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, **** originally meant pile of sticks as someone said, so it hardly exclusively a gay word, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I have 2 gay friends who have no problem calling people faggotss, purely for the irony :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well, **** originally meant pile of sticks as someone said, so it hardly exclusively a gay word, anyway.

The term first came to be used in relation to homosexuals because said piles of sticks were lit under someone who was tied to a stake. For bein GEAAAAH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why is this being treated as the biggest news as the week? Who listens to the BBC for music anyway?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why is this being treated as the biggest news as the week? Who listens to the BBC for music anyway?!

Faggots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I do, well radio 2.

• Advertisement

Just a question, are they now going to censor "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" because it says "make the yuletide gay?" lol.
    latchyco wrote: »
    When the stones appeared on the ed sullivan show they were asked to change the 'word ' spend' in the song to somthing else although i think jagger went ahead and said ' spend' anyway.
    I think Jagger did use the modified lyric - "let's spend some time together" much to his disgust. I think you're thinking about The Doors; they were asked to change the lyrics for Light My Fire to "girl we couldn't get much better" as opposed to "higher." They agreed to but when it came to the actual performance they sang out the unedited version, which got them banned from appearing on the show again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

"Youre a bum
    Youre a punk
    Youre an old slut on junk
    Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
    You scumbag, you maggot
    You cheap lousy ****
    Happy christmas your arse
    I pray God its our last"

to be honest with you i could never make out that part of the song anyway:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

they're talking about it on Adrian Kennedy at the mo. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by WoollyRedHat

BBC radio 2 is now fondly refered to as the the old BBC radio 1 .It plays a nice selection of oldies and present stuff along with intresting pop/rock /soul /folk documentrys .I use to love listening to alan freemans ' pick of the pops show' up till a few years ago were he played the top 20 of 30 years ago and the top 20 of 10 years ago back to back .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What a bunch of faggots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Who listens to the BBC for music anyway?!

Snafus like this one aside, BBC R1 is still the best music station on the planet. Try listening to it sometime; wipes the flooor with most of the sh*te our own airwaves have to offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Really? I respect BBC for talking about interesting things that keep people attentive instead of our crappy stations here, who wouldn't have a clue about what interesting is.

As far as music goes for irish radio, it's hard to go wrong, you just go with the mainstream and play that, easy

The only way I can listen to BBC radio though is through their website, so it's not as portable as our stations
    they're talking about it on Adrian Kennedy at the mo.

Oh dear. See! We don't have a clue! It's not big at all, but seeing as fm104 don't know what else to talk about they just pick up on that

And it's funny, I bet they were saying that it was ridicolous, when their very own station blocked a song ( which was no. 1 at the time) from being played.
    They didn't even know how to bleep the offensive word/s out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

From yesterdays Daily Mail

In accordence with traditions ,an ashen **** is burnt at the harbour inn at Axmouth ,Devon on christmas eve and at the Shave Cross inn at Marshood Vale Dorset on the 12th night .Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell should be advised that burning the ashen **** -a six hight foot bundle of green ash sticks tied together with bands of hazel - is an ancient christmas fertility ritual , not as he might suppose , a homophobic gesture .

So that explains that ,anybody for a Tescos mince pie ? :)

Advertisement