Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Radio 1 censors the word "****" from Fairytale of New York

Options
  • 18-12-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭

Are they right to censor the song or is it political correctness gone mad?
    Radio 1 censors Pogues' Fairytale
    BBC Radio 1 has said it will stand by its ban on the word "****" from the Pogues' 1987 Christmas hit Fairytale of New York to avoid offence.
    The word, sung by the late Kirsty MacColl as she trades insults with Shane MacGowan, has been dubbed out.
    But MacColl's mother, Jean, called the ban "too ridiculous", while the Pogues said they found it "amusing".
    The BBC said: "We are playing an edited version because some members of the audience might find it offensive."
    A Radio 1 spokeswoman said the station's management had met on Tuesday morning to discuss the issue.
    The song is a duet between MacColl and Shane MacGowan
    She said they "had made their decision" and would not be going back on it.
    But the ban does not apply across the BBC. Radio 2 said it would be playing the full version of the track.
    MacColl, who was killed by a speedboat off the coast of Mexico in 2000, brands Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan "you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy ****" in the song, which reached number two when it was first released.
    She continues: "Happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last."
    Another line, where MacGowan calls MacColl "an old slut on junk", has also been edited.
    Jean MacColl told BBC Radio 5 Live's Breakfast: "These are a couple of characters - not in the first flush of youth, I would have thought.
    "This is the way they spoke. Today we have a lot of a gratuitous vulgarity and whatever from people all over which I think is quite unnecessary.
    "They are what they are. These are characters and they speak like that."
    A spokesman for the Pogues, who first formed in 1982 and reunited in 2001 after a five-year break, said they "found it amusing that a song that has been one of the best-loved Christmas tunes should suddenly have been deemed offensive".
    Listeners have also been criticising the ban on the Radio 1 Newsbeat website.
    Denise Venn said it was "a complete over-reaction" and Simon from Southampton called it "political correctness gone mad".
    Dean in Southampton added: "I'm gay and it certainly doesn't offend me.
    "I find it more offensive that the BBC has tampered with this track which hopefully will be number one this Christmas."
    However, veteran gay rights activist Peter Tatchell said Radio 1's actions were right.
    "The word **** is being sung as an insult, alongside scumbag and maggot. In this abusive context it is unacceptable," he said.
    "It is shameful that BBC Radio 2 and other radio and TV stations are continuing to play the full version with the word **** included. It shows that they don't take homophobic language as seriously as racist language."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

was bound to happen some day. It is political correctness gone mad

Happy Holidays :D bleeeeeh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah those crazy brits ! (he say's knowing full well its only time before it happens here :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Still havent forgave the bbc for banning staus quo from the play list ..........B'stads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ridiculous. That's how tough Irish immigrants spoke - like it or lump it. In the context of the song it's not a homophobic insult anyway.

They may as well just play the Ronan Keating "cover" which features "you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They should censor that whole f*cking song! Its the worst thing about Christmas tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They are censoring it because someone might be offended. For shame. Bundles of dry sticks everywhere, unite against censorship. Can't say I listen to BBC Radio 1 anyway. I am more of a BBC Radio 2 person.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wonder what they replaced it by? If only there were alternative words for '****' and a comprehensive listing thereof...

Its a very British establishment thing to meddle and interfere with stuff ,.Remember that dj mike read refusing to play ' god save the queen'

He is now an establishment luvvie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Cathooo wrote: »
    was bound to happen some day. It is political correctness gone mad. Happy Holidays :D bleeeeeh

That's the Beeb for you. All one big happy smiley family. Er.. Merry Christmas, now I'm off to look at my PC Nativity set......... in case it offends er, er, somebody. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

They should censor that whole f*cking song! Its the worst thing about Christmas tbh.

Ahh liven up!! its a great song

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

haven't BBC1 been censoring it for a while now? i remember something like this happening before too...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I heard they were banning the phrase "political correctness gone mad" it's highly offensive to minorities who prefer not to converse solely through banality...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ahh liven up!! its a great song

Its one of the worst songs ever created. I absolutely loathe it. Honestly! Jesus, if only the lot of them singing it had a bout of laryngitus when recording it and temporarily forgot how to play their instruments, my Christmas would be alot happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Oh no Christmas is ruined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*always thought a **** was a small piece of dry firewood*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, the should change it to you scumbag, you bundle of sticks, shuve it up yer hole, you cock-sucking prick.

Dragan wrote: »
    *always thought a **** was a small piece of dry firewood*

health and saftey issue prehaps? remember kids only use expensive sturdy faggots to start fires ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Agreed, it's not that I think it's a bad song I'm just sick of listening to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You think that's bad?

Paramount censor ''ass'' from the likes of That 70's Show. :rolleyes:

Anyway... who cares exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

They did what????

Faggots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

health and saftey issue prehaps? remember kids only use expensive sturdy faggots to start fires ! :)
    actually isn't a **** a cheap losey piece of chipper food in the UK.

ScumLord wrote: »
    actually isn't a **** a cheap losey piece of chipper food in the UK.
    You can also buy em frozen in tescos

latchyco wrote: »

what the hell has the BBC got against tescos! elitest feckers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

latchyco wrote: »

Tesco is full of faggots???

I heard ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a real bummer all this messing around with Chrimbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Dudess wrote: »
    Ridiculous. That's how tough Irish immigrants spoke - like it or lump it. In the context of the song it's not a homophobic insult anyway.

They may as well just play the Ronan Keating "cover" which features "you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard." :rolleyes:

ughh is that cover by ronan keating? they play that ALL the time instead of the original. why? why did he do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

why? why did he do it?

Because he's a ......... you guessed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nah I think the worst thing about Christmas is all the dead puppies and old people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I find Shania Twain's lyrics offensive. Her sometimes male-bashing or over exaggerated stereotypes are not 100% representative of the common male opinion. What are the BBC going to do?

• Advertisement

Forky wrote: »
    Tesco is full of faggots???

I heard ya!
    They also sell edible ones to ......?

Advertisement