Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish College Life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

TPD wrote: »
    My computing course assumes no prior knowledge of computing. But, we're doing programming at the same time as learning how to use a mouse. Strange.

I did one of those. I corrected the lecturer on improper use of a global variable only to realise he was utilising the old "one page ahead" method of teaching. He hadnt a clue what I was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Dudess wrote: »
    Depends on the college really. For instance, DCU is indeed a dreary wasteland, but UCC is absolutely gorgeous. You're making major generalisations.

Yeah UCC is a lovely college.Especially on a nice day.Trinity is overrated in my book!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I do think Trinity is really nice and the location is just the biz. If I'd grown up in Dublin, I would definitely have applied either there or DIT Aungier Street (not JUST for the location, but it would have been a big part of it :)) but yeah, I think UCC is such a beautiful campus - all that greenery by the river. Bliss on a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Depends on the college really. For instance, DCU is indeed a dreary wasteland, but UCC is absolutely gorgeous. You're making major generalisations.

you've missed my point entirely.

and life is one big generalization.

and Dunphy-esque acolytes (to quote herbie).

:cool:

Sorry, what was your point?
    If the entire post was ironic I missed the sarcasm.

• Advertisement

Sorry, what was your point?
    If the entire post was ironic I missed the sarcasm.

that you're being dismissive of my post it simply because it contains generalizations, and while fair enough to dismiss the generalizations, you cant dismiss the entire post because of said generalizations as you have not explored the specific point at hand and whether or not it holds up to scrutiny despite the generalizations i included for illustrative purposes.

simply put i said when people talk about college life they are simply talking about living away from home for the first time and associated new found freedoms. the state of the campuses really doesn't come into it because that's not what they are talking about, but in a lot of cases (but not all because it was clearly a generalization and generalizations are bad and they in no way form part of our normal cognitive schema in order to help us make sense of the world) can sufficiently serve to further my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

that you're being dismissive of my post it simply because it contains generalizations, and while fair enough to dismiss the generalizations, you cant dismiss the entire post because of said generalizations as you have not explored the specific point at hand and whether or not it holds up to scrutiny despite the generalizations i included for illustrative purposes.

simply put i said when people talk about college life they are simply talking about living away from home for the first time and associated new found freedoms. the state of the campuses really doesn't come into it because that's not what they are talking about, but in a lot of cases (but not all because it was clearly a generalization and generalizations are bad and they in no way form part of our normal cognitive schema in order to help us make sense of the world) can sufficiently serve to further my point.

You're dead right Leninbenjamin - and fair play for the provided the extended explanation for the Langerland Poster. I would ignore it, his Momma Poppa didn't send her to Mt Anville and ever since is suffering siege mentality with the occasional spasm of an inferiority complex.

There are really good things to be said about first years in UCD and DCU, and Campus Architecture is for langers.

You're dead right Leninbenjamin - and fair play for the provided the extended explanation for the Langerland Poster. I would ignore it, his Momma Poppa didn't send her to Mt Anville and ever since is suffering siege mentality with the occasional spasm of an inferiority complex.

There are really good things to be said about first years in UCD and DCU, and Campus Architecture is for langers.

Langerland... what?

his momma poppa didn't send her... where?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Every Uni will have it's good points, and I think it's fair to say the alumni and current students of a Uni will think it's the best bar none.

Langerland... what?

his momma poppa didn't send her... where?

You see she' even messing up my brains! I can't help thinking BUTCH!:D

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    students of a Uni will think it's the best bar ....

.......is on campus:p

.......is on campus:p

i think i see what you tried to do there but poor grammar let you down.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

To be fair, in spite of being either stoned or tripping 100 per cent of the time, you have to hand it to those Crawford students - the way they held protests a few years ago over the state of the place, that was mighty militant of them ;)
    Nah seriously, what a dump. It's an absolute disgrace that you have to work in facilities like that - freezing your arses off every winter. But the new School of Music is fabulous. Hopefully Crawford is next. Although I heard talk of it being moved to the CIT campus. Not really a good environment for an art college, in my opinion.
    Well I'm one of the students who does tend to be wasted quite a lot but a lot of my work tends to be based on chemical abuse ^_^ I don't really mind the building at all, I actually like the character of the gaff, although I'm not really one of those people who gets very cold. I like the surroundings too, a little brook by the side, a river not too far (a little marred by the brewery..) It's great to have a few drinks whilst finishing up a painting and then head straight into Nancy's afterwards too :) Indeed, **** moving to CIT, we're happy where we are as long as they fix the place up a little.
    Youve never been to NCAD have you then.
    900 students with around the same ratio but loads more gay lads so it works out even better :D
    and the fact that our parties are held in venues bigger than my attic

We've our fair share of gayers too ^_^ Actually, I heard that you guys actually have pressure put on you (wtfff?) Also, I heard that there isn't near as good a rapport there. I know everyone in my year pretty well and a lot in other years.

Fair enough, leninbenjamin. Although I wasn't being particularly critical. Wow, that's some response!
    You're dead right Leninbenjamin - and fair play for the provided the extended explanation for the Langerland Poster.
    Ok, I don't want to start a bitch-fest with you but that is really badly written.
    his Momma Poppa didn't send her to Mt Anville
    Ah, how on earth can you refer to me as male, then female? If you didn't know my gender before, surely the fact that I said my parents put my name down for Mount Anville (an all-girls school) would have been enough confirmation?
    is suffering siege mentality with the occasional spasm of an inferiority complex.
    Yup. That's EXACTLY it. Funny how you've ascertained that when you don't actually know me.
    I went to DCU to do my masters and had a brilliant year. I just don't think the campus looks very nice. If this is descending into a Dublin v Cork thing, well I think Trinity is a lovely campus.
    I can't help thinking BUTCH!
    Well I suppose my avatar is pretty butch, and I tend to think that Boardsies look like their avatars before I meet them/see pics of them.
    Karl Hungus's avatar is pretty hot.

Dudess - I had no idea what gender you are, he/she probably doesn't matter but given the Mount Anville reference probably a she. Fair play for taking the Butch aspect on board.

Truth is I'm not really interested, in your avatar or the he/she gender. Yeah I make mistakes even grammatical ones but what the hell.

Some people get turned on by avatars well, I'd prefer to leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I do think Trinity is really nice and the location is just the biz. If I'd grown up in Dublin, I would definitely have applied either there or DIT Aungier Street (not JUST for the location, but it would have been a big part of it :)) but yeah, I think UCC is such a beautiful campus - all that greenery by the river. Bliss on a nice day.

Ah, good ould DIT Aungier Street. Was I sad the day I left...... honest I was! Helps if you have sound classmates, which I had.

I sometimes really wish I had endured the four years of brokeness up there to study Film and Broadcasting (now Media Arts). Although I probably wouldn't have got a job out of it.

Don't know about that but what swinged it for me was living 200m down the road!!!! The parties we had in the flat were great craic. Lesson - if you're going to go to college, live close by. Good for the parties and the mornings after ;)

Yeah, I never lived right by campus - I was about two miles away in both Cork and Dublin. Not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

And lots of sex.
    ...Damn, knew I forgot to do something.:mad:

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    I'm out of work at the moment, but when I was working I often pulled in over €1500 a week and I never went to college.

Yes, but after tax, it doesn't look...

...oh, forgot, you were a tradesman:D

Yeah, I never lived right by campus - I was about two miles away in both Cork and Dublin. Not the same.

Defo, mind you before that I went to college a mile and a half away (lived in the same place). Still had the odd party. Not as many as 1 - 2 years. Think it was the city centre location which appealed to everyone.

dotsman wrote: »
    ...Damn, knew I forgot to do something.:mad:
    UCC I presume? With all those nooks and crannies you couldn't NOT have sex!! ;)

UCC I presume? With all those nooks and crannies you couldn't NOT have sex!! ;)
    Yes, but in keeping within the spirit of the thread - WHERE WERE ALL THE ORGIES??? and the girls you always see in the movies who just take their tops off at parties? I had some crazy and vivid expectations before entering college:D

P.S. Never actually had sex in any of the nooks and crannies. Left them to the Arts students;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dotsman wrote: »
    Yes, but after tax, it doesn't look...

...oh, forgot, you were a tradesman:D
    I was subbed out to a large company.
    I did pay tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Today has reaffirmed my belief that college life is amazing.

I went out last night, got fairly pissed, woke up this morning without a hangover which is a bit strange, and here I am in bed with a chicken and bacon baguette, a carton of tropicana and a wispa without any lectures today or a care in the world. Fantastic.

Need a haircut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    Today has reaffirmed my belief that college life is amazing.

I went out last night, got fairly pissed, woke up this morning without a hangover which is a bit strange, and here I am in bed with a chicken and bacon baguette, a carton of tropicana and a wispa without any lectures today or a care in the world. Fantastic.

Need a haircut though.

Ah the memories.... :(

Xavi, you're only 22, you could go back for a year or two. My college days are definitely finished. Quite gutting actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

College, I love it:D 4th year a bit harder than im used to though! And people are saying UCC has a great campus, dont forget UL, loads of greenery a river flowing through the centre and 3 bars. What more do you want!

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote: »
    College, I love it:D 4th year a bit harder than im used to though! And people are saying UCC has a great campus, dont forget UL, loads of greenery a river flowing through the centre and 3 bars. What more do you want!

Stab Vest?:D

Advertisement