Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish College Life

Options
  • 14-10-2007 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Me and one of my friends were having a conversation about how America portray its student life in its movies and how it compares to Irish college life. How do you think its does compare? Or even UK student life how does it compare to the Irish one?

Like what is the deal with the fraternities?

What I am asking what is US/UK college life really like?

For me College life is very odd because I am in Maynooth and I have moved from a big town to a small village. Like I have to go into Dublin to do anything but yet its cool in the way everyone on the village is a student from the college.

EDIT:
    Thanks Jimi-Spandex :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

You should use "like" more in your sentences. And it's portray, not pretray.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

From watching movies and playing The Sims 2: University, fraternities/sororities are big fancy houses full of hot people and nobody pays for anything and they have greek letters and stuff.

Hope this helped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Well if we're going by movies, everyone in college in the US is pretty, except the nerds, unless they're a cool nerd with a major part in the storyline. Nobody needs to do a great amount of work, everything they need is paid for by rich parent/scholarships, frat/sorority members can have parties all the time and never fail their exams.
    Real life Irish college: none of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

College is truly awesome.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

College is a load of my swiss. Drop out now and get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You don't mean that I hope......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm only in college because i need a degree to get anywhere close to what i want to do. if i could obtain it tomorrow i would...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

I do mean it. Every school guidance meeting pushed me to go to college without exploring any other avenues of getting a qaulification.

There is not enough awareness in this country of alternative routes into careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

College in the US is really probably like that because if you can afford to get in you can afford to buy your degree... worked for George W.

seriously though college doesnt work like that for most people - either you cant afford it or you do part time in a community college and that 4 year degree actually takes you about 8 years or more to attain because who goes to college full time? who can afford to in the USA? nobody but the aristocracy.

which explains why im here, taking advantage now of all the years of income tax my family paid to the Irish Govt so I can get an affordable college education... bless them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    I do mean it. Every school guidance meeting pushed me to go to college without exploring any other avenues of getting a qaulification.

There is not enough awareness in this country of alternative routes into careers.
    True. But you can have a good laugh in college. And lots of sex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

One of my (American) lecturers in UCD commented that American students are alot more enthusiastic about their college course/subjects. Irish students in general just do the bare minimum and get on with it, whereas the Americans will take an active interest and do extra-curicular work. I don't know if maybe American universities give you more freedom to choose your subjects... I know in my course, in first year, I got no choice at all in what classes I could take. There were set history and computer science classes that I had to take and that was it. I'm in second year now and there's alot more freedom, and thus I take more of an interest in the classes, since they're the ones I wanted.

Also whenever I tell any foreign mates that I live with the parents while I'm in college, they think it's very strange.

DaveMcG wrote:
    Also whenever I tell any foreign mates that I live with the parents while I'm in college, they think it's very strange.
    Yeah, a guy I know from England said the same thing - that there doesn't seem to be as much of a moving away to college tradition in this country. But in the UK, universities are kind of league-tabled so, say you live in Liverpool and you want to study psychology and it's available at Liverpool University but Nottingham University is more recognised for its psychology degree than Liverpool University, then you move to Nottingham. Maybe the university you go to has a bearing on your career prospects, but I'd say that depends on what field you want to get into. I'm sure it wouldn't really matter where you studied, for instance, history. Then there's the whole Uxbridge thing but that seems to be another realm entirely.
    I personally think it would be ludicrous to move away when you don't have to - I know it would be more fun but think of all the expense you'd be spared. I wanted to study arts, I'm from Cork, so I went to UCC. Simple. Then the postgrad I wanted to do wasn't available in Cork so I moved to Dublin - in that case I needed to. Saved a lot of hassle, expense and I still got to experience the whole going away to college thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It all depends on the course your taking really, I mean no-one's gonna pass an engineering/medecine/advanced science course if they're partying every night. Commerce or Arts students, however, can get away with it pretty easily. :)

Well now Sleepy, as a former arts student, I really would have to say... that I wholeheartedly agree with that comment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Every college seems **** in comparison to my college (Crawford, Cork). 300 students, loads of personal attention, and they don't seem disappointed when I turn up at 2pm and tell the truth about being bollocksed the night before. Oh, and a 1:9 ratio of guys to girls.. who tend not to be superficial oompa loompas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sleepy wrote: »
    It all depends on the course your taking really, I mean no-one's gonna pass an engineering/medecine/advanced science course if they're partying every night. Commerce or Arts students, however, can get away with it pretty easily. :)

alot of my ex-classmates would disagree with this statement ;) they had to repeat or never completed their business degree due to excess partying

Kold wrote: »
    Every college seems **** in comparison to my college (Crawford, Cork). 300 students, loads of personal attention, and they don't seem disappointed when I turn up at 2pm and tell the truth about being bollocksed the night before. Oh, and a 1:9 ratio of guys to girls.. who tend not to be superficial oompa loompas.
    Hmmm. Probably because it's an art college.;) I was on that campus a couple of times meeting mates - stoner central! Is it still as much of a ****hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh they're alike. Apart from the dorms and the fraternities and the students who want to learn and the sex and and :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dudess wrote: »
    Hmmm. Probably because it's an art college.;) I was on that campus a couple of times meeting mates - stoner central! Is it still as much of a ****hole?

Yeah, falling apart around us but we just put sweaters on and try not to bitch because we love our home :) Or are you implying that it's a ****hole because of the amount of stoners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

FOGOFUNK wrote: »

Yeah fair enough. Don't go to college if you don't want to. The world will always need ditchdiggers. But don't discourage others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yeah fair enough. Don't go to college if you don't want to. The world will always need ditchdiggers. But don't discourage others.
    Whooooooo!!!1
    Yeah!!!!!!!
    Freshers ruleeeeeeeeee.

I'm out of work at the moment, but when I was working I often pulled in over €1500 a week and I never went to college. Ditch digging indeed.

That was a 4 day week, by the way.

Terry wrote: »
    Whooooooo!!!1
    Yeah!!!!!!!
    Freshers ruleeeeeeeeee.

I'm out of work at the moment, but when I was working I often pulled in over €1500 a week and I never went to college. Ditch digging indeed.

I may have sounded very pompous there, fair enough. But imagine what would happen if nobody went to college because "it's a load of me swiss."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

FWIW guys on shovels can make more money than half the wasters who went to college and did some pointless arts degree.
    But imagine what would happen if nobody went to college because "it's a load of me swiss."
    Imagine what would happen if everyone went to college because that was the 'done thing'. Yep, nobody to build the college in the first place, nobody to service the car/bus that gets you there, nobody to...etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eamoss wrote: »
    What I am asking what is US/UK college life really like?
    I'm at USC (University of Southern California). Our motto here is "Work hard! Play hard!" I believe USC students take the 2nd part very seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

FWIW guys on shovels can make more money than half the wasters who went to college and did some pointless arts degree.

Imagine what would happen if everyone went to college because that was the 'done thing'. Yep, nobody to build the college in the first place, nobody to service the car/bus that gets you there, nobody to...etc

By the same token, if noone studied 'pointless arts degrees' you and your children would not have received anything resembling an education.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jj99

i studied in america, and they work really hard, harder than most ppl i know, you have to be in to get into frat parties unless your a hot girl. more house parties cause of 21s but usually just w/e.

Look I'm not saying everybody should go to college. I'm not saying nobody should go to college either. What I am saying is that FOGOFUNK should not say silly things like "college is a load of me swiss" and "get a real job". You agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Terry wrote: »
    Whooooooo!!!1
    Yeah!!!!!!!
    Freshers ruleeeeeeeeee.

do you mind me asking what you did exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

mac123 wrote: »
    do you mind me asking what you did exactly?

Sold. Drugs. Children. Fill in the blanks. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Kold wrote: »

kold,
    your post intrigues me and i wish to subscribe to your next class party.

college in america?
    lots of work.
    lots

and frats? they do a lot of sitting around studying or playing videogames during the week. then they drink for an hour before vomiting on the weekends.

cause americans cant drink. i swear to god. they drink like 13 y/o girls. just chug whatevers close for half hour then pass out. I went to loads of frat parties and they all end up with people vomiting an hour in.

Advertisement