Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your surname in irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭thesage

When you think about it that would make far more sense...
    To be of high standing in Gaelic Warrior Society, as in to be elected Taoiseach or Rí, you couldn't be "deformed or disfigured" in anyway. In fact blinding of one's rivals was a common way to secure one's victory in a clan "election".
    Anyway, a whole dynasty, especially one as large and powerful as Ó Suilleabháin would hardly have been named after a "disfigured" one-eyed chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thesage wrote:
    Anyway, a whole dynasty, especially one as large and powerful as Ó Suilleabháin would hardly have been named after a "disfigured" one-eyed chap.
    Maybe it was the collection of all the opponents? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

O Cathain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IrishKing

Hi, Im knew here, my family names are Maney and Martin from Ireland. I know Martin is a very common name in Ireland so the one Im really interested in is Maney. I see it maybe have been O Maonaigh but a lady in Ireland said it was probably O Mahoney? Any help on this would be great thank you very much. Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mag Uiginn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

IrishKing wrote: »
    Hi, Im knew here, my family names are Maney and Martin from Ireland. I know Martin is a very common name in Ireland so the one Im really interested in is Maney. I see it maybe have been O Maonaigh but a lady in Ireland said it was probably O Mahoney? Any help on this would be great thank you very much. Richard

I've never heard of the name Maney in Ireland, and from a quick google - It appears it may be derived from France - Not Ireland.

Another google stated it is derived from Irish: "Ó Maine" - And I've never heard that either used in Ireland.

So take your pic. If you want to try Irish'ise your name, go with "Ó Maine".. Or just make up your own name - like McManey. :)

dlofnep wrote: »
    I've never heard of the name Maney in Ireland, and from a quick google - It appears it may be derived from France - Not Ireland.

Another google stated it is derived from Irish: "Ó Maine" - And I've never heard that either used in Ireland.

So take your pic. If you want to try Irish'ise your name, go with "Ó Maine".. Or just make up your own name - like McManey. :)
    Yes Maney is Irish,there lots of Maney's from Ireland,many came in the mid to late 17 hundreds and many, many came in the great famine and lots of them fought in the civil war here in America on both sides. Im trying to find out the origin of the name,if it be O Maine like ancestry.com says or another Irish site says it is from O Maonaigh. Some who live in Ireland say it came from O Mahoney in County Waterford but I guess it could have come from a few places,,I have a book about my Maney ancestor. He arrived in 1769 from Ireland and I have court documents in which he states he was born in Ireland and of Irish descent. But thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Would love to post my name as gaelige but don't know what it is :( if anyone can post what the Irish version of Bowes is, maybe i can find some stuff about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My surname is ní Aolaín. As far as I can remember from a project I did in TY about it, it comes from Waterford and is vaguely related to Phelan, and it means something about wolves.
    What a useful project that was. But really it's probably an English name as my grandfather is English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You all come from dlofnep's homeland. My little children!

Irishking, it may come from O'Mahoney/Ó Maonaigh or whatever.. But I doubt that Maney is an Irish name in itself - Most likely an anglecized version of an Irish name. I know a few O'Mahoney's in Waterford, so they may be derived from here.

Anyways, back on topic - My surname is Ó Briain, or Ua Briain in even older Irish :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Would love to post my name as gaelige but don't know what it is :( if anyone can post what the Irish version of Bowes is, maybe i can find some stuff about it :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bowes = Ó Buadhaigh[/FONT]

dlofnep wrote: »
    You all come from dlofnep's homeland. My little children!

Irishking, it may come from O'Mahoney/Ó Maonaigh or whatever.. But I doubt that Maney is an Irish name in itself - Most likely an anglecized version of an Irish name. I know a few O'Mahoney's in Waterford, so they may be derived from here.

Anyways, back on topic - My surname is Ó Briain, or Ua Briain in even older Irish :P
    Im sure Maney is anglecized form of an older Irish name. I looked last night and saw this,that the O Maonaigh, O Maine,O Mainey,Manny,Maney and O Mahoney and O Mooney all came from one original source,the original Gaelic O'hEachtighearna,,I cant even say that much less know if this is the original source. Some other names were from this one as well,O Mine, O Mane and so on. So who knows I guess lolo but its still fun and thanks for any input. Oh yeah I am Martin,Maney and Killian from Ireland and one grandmother McGreggor from Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Bowes = Ó Buadhaigh
    Excellent stuff that !!! cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Aine Ni Hifearnan

Aine of the demon!!

HOLY GOD!!:eek::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Ó Dubhthaigh -- Descendant of Dubhthach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Niocha

forget how to put fada on top of i :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Reid = O'Maoildearg from O'Mulreddy

Originally from Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Seán Ó Catháin -
    Ó Catháin means 'of the battle'. Cath is the Irish word for battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Caitriona Ni Bhraonáin. Catherine of the sorrows..great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

De Cuirtís - no idea what it means :confused: An old primary school teacher told me the "De" part means my surname is derived from French, but I don't know if that's true or not.

My friend has a surname Mac an Allaigh (sp? It's McNally in English) and it means "Son of the poor man"!! Not a particularly nice surname to have, is it? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi there

My surname is Sherry. I have been told that my surname in Irish is Searraigh or Mac/O'Searraigh. Is this right? It is not an overly popular surname. Is the feminine equivalent Ni?

This is a handy website, just key in your surname and see if there is an Irish equivalent of it.

Den

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi there

My surname is Sherry. I have been told that my surname in Irish is Searraigh or Mac/O'Searraigh. Is this right? It is not an overly popular surname. Is the feminine equivalent Ni?

This is a handy website, just key in your surname and see if there is an Irish equivalent of it.

Den

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/

Thanks for linking that website - I found out my name means "well educated" :D
    Also, I found out that in 1848-64 there were only 13 households with my name in Cork (6 in the County, 7 in the city) but there were 41 in Louth! I might have a lot of distant relatives up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ceoltoirin

Ní Mhocáire as in Earley

Sometimes there are interesting pronunciations on this. I remember going to the gaeltacht in Galway when I was 13. Very shy and didn't want to be made stand out for anything.

Didn't have a choice in the matter when the headmaster from Cork decided that Mh should be pronounced 'V'. When my name was then said in his very fast Cork accent I was forever known as

" ******* wee f***er!!"

Now I take great care when introducing myself to anyone through Irish to pronounce the Mh as a Woa, and when I found myself teaching years later I insisted that students call me by my first name to save all future embarassment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Ceoltoirin wrote: »
    Didn't have a choice in the matter when the headmaster from Cork decided that Mh should be pronounced 'V'. When my name was then said in his very fast Cork accent I was forever known as

" ******* wee f***er!!"
    What a bheancair... these nicknames are undodgeable in secondary school. I feel your pain... My surname, Mac Fhearaí, where fh is always silent in Irish, morphed into the nickname "Farty" in Coláiste Mhuire (where 'mh' is pronounced 'w' ;)) due to some of the other 1st years coming from not-really-Irish-speaking primary schools :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 star-girlxx

Sorcha Ni Ghearain- Sarah Guerin

Im sure Ghearain just a bad translation from English though! If anyone knows what it means let me know!
    :):)

Well to answer my own question lol, the OMaonaigh name has many variations so here go's. OMaonaigh,OManey,Maney,Manney,OMaine,Main,Maine, OMainy,Mainy,OMooney,Mooney,Meeny,OMeeny and many,many more. All these names are from one root source OMaonaigh.The names are pronounced differently depending what part of Ireland your in. But all came from OMaonaigh,Ive researched hundreds and hundreds of hours and finally!! Ive learned that alot of Irish names have many,many variations like ONeil or OKearney,both these names have a Bazillion variations like OMaonaigh.But I would like to thank Martin B Maney 1752-1830 County Wexford Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Firey

On another matter, seen as were talking Gaelic,
    I need to know what " My Precious Girl" is in Gaelic.

Any helpers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Mo Cáilín Iómhar?

This is a literate translation.

You may find that there is a different phrase to denote a 'precious girl'. Probably depends on context.
    i.e. a ghrá or a stór are some of the phrases used for a loved one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

Mac Ruaidhrí... ainm a úsáidtear go minic i mo chlann...

as béarla... Rogers (gan "d")

Mac Ruaidhrí = "son of the Red King"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

Firey wrote: »

Any helpers?

mo chailín iómhar... mo chailín luachmhar...

If it's someone close to you I'd stick with... "a stór" or "a ghrá"

Mo Chailín, a stór = My precious girl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Supreemio

''Breandán De Brugha'' m'ainm i nGaeilge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Any helpers?

sílim gur chuala me gur ionann 'my precious girl' agus Mobhornín? Rud eigin mar sin!

Is é 'Nic an tSagairt' an sloinne orm - daughter of the priest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Stiofán Ni Ocha .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Mc Donagh - Meaning, Im a knacker. Well ok Im not a knacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Sorcha Sinead Ni Chugain.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Mac Amhlaoibh - son of Amhlaoibh, Amhlaoibh, was derived from the Old Norse Name Olaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yobar

Mac Aoidh, having something to do with Fire. Perhaps an ancestor was an arsonist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ohmygawd

Is ainm Faran Ni Fhoghlu....

Well to answer my own question lol, the OMaonaigh name has many variations so here go's. OMaonaigh,OManey,Maney,Manney,OMaine,Main,Maine, OMainy,Mainy,OMooney,Mooney,Meeny,OMeeny and many,many more. All these names are from one root source OMaonaigh.The names are pronounced differently depending what part of Ireland your in. But all came from OMaonaigh,Ive researched hundreds and hundreds of hours and finally!! Ive learned that alot of Irish names have many,many variations like ONeil or OKearney,both these names have a Bazillion variations like OMaonaigh.But I would like to thank Martin B Maney 1752-1830 County Wexford Republic of Ireland.
    I also forgot Meaney Maney Mainey,and O Mainey and more then I can remember. And thanks again to Martin Maney 1752-1830

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

does gomes have an irish translation?:P

one thing ive always wondereed, does Ni not translate to 'daughter of'?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Aw I would love to remember what my name is in Irish.

In english it's Mark McConnon, I think Mark's Marcus in Irish, would that be right?

In primary school I think I was refered to MacConainn (spelling's probably waaay off) during Irish class, could anyone please help me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

McConnon wrote: »
    Aw I would love to remember what my name is in Irish.

In english it's Mark McConnon, I think Mark's Marcus in Irish, would that be right?

In primary school I think I was refered to MacConainn (spelling's probably waaay off) during Irish class, could anyone please help me?
    Mark = Marcas

Mar sin, Marcas Mac Canann is ainm duit! :) (or if it's a [Muineachán name McConnon could also be the Anglicisation of your ancestors' Mac Conéin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

anladmór wrote: »
    does gomes have an irish translation?:P

one thing ive always wondereed, does Ni not translate to 'daughter of'?

I think it does; so for example Ní Chinnéide is a shortened version of Iníon Uí Chinnéide, the daughter of Ó Cinnéide

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Agus wrote: »
    Mark = Marcas

Mar sin, Marcas Mac Canann is ainm duit! :) (or if it's a [Muineachán name McConnon could also be the Anglicisation of your ancestors' Mac Conéin)

Ah, go raibh maith agat Agus! (Hope my spelling is correct!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

my name is cullen in irish means "holy three" i think
    There can be little doubt that there were, at the very least, two lineages of Cullen in southeast Wexford from about the mid-14'th to the mid-17'th centuries. It's interesting that MacLysaght did not make any particular distinction between the two though his discussion of the families was brief. One family is said to have been Anglo-Norman, descendants of adventurers who arrived from the continent some time after 1170 and took the name Cullin or Cullen. The other family was a native Gaelic sept according to tradition and were found with the names of O'Cullin or O'Cullen. The distinction between the two names Cullen and O'Cullen was recognized in the 1659 survey in Co Wexford which reports that 25 Cullins or Cullens (Normanised families) were living in the baronies of Bargy and Shelbourne, while a greater population of 140 O'Cullins or O'Cullens were living in the Irish baronies of Shelmalier (East and West). By the mid-19'th century however, the O' had been dropped from the name of the Gaelic sept and so both Norman and Gaelic families were known as Cullen or Cullin. That the Gaelic Cullens dwelt in an area to the north of the Norman family is not surprising. With the arrival of the Normans came quite a bit of resistance from the native residents and the result was that the Gaelic sept was forced to relocate to the north. This division between the Norman and Gaelic families was not absolute and certainly Gaelic Cullens dwelt peacefully amidst the Norman family and vice versa. In time the Normans assimilated themselves into the native culture, blending their lifestyle with that of the Irish, creating a unique new culture often quoted as being "more Irish than the Irish themselves".

http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/CullHis2.htm

• Advertisement

I also forgot Meaney Maney Mainey,and O Mainey and more then I can remember. And thanks again to Martin Maney 1752-1830
    I have found three positive lines of Maney originating in Ireland,first one: O'Maonaigh, Meaney, Maney, Mainey and Mooney with many more variants. Second one is: O'Mahoney and Maney,the older generation of Irish in the south pronounced Mahoney as Mainey or Maney with many more variants. Third one is: O'Maine, Maney and Manney,Oxford Univesity says this line is an Irish early personel name of unexplained origin, but after much more research I found this line probably comes from the old land of HY-Many or O'Kellys country, many people assumed these names as the land and people were powerful at the time. Thanks to Martin Maney 1752-1830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Crowley -> Ó Cruadhlaoich meaning hard-hero or hardy warrior. Pretty apt as my Grandfather and my own father are pretty hardy men. The link to the irish times website is very good. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Any helpers?

If you need to have the word "girl" in the translation, it could be : "A chailín ghil mo chroí", or "A chailín dhil". Otherwise, the most used in everyday talk would be "A thaiscidh" or "A thaisce". The word "girl" would'nt need to be used as you would be addressing her directly. "Mobhornín" was mentioned by Misslt. This comes directly from "Mo mhuirnín" which is a perfect translation for "My darling" as is "A stór".

My dictionary has LÓMHAR as a word used in literature for "precious". Originating from "luachmhar" which means "valuable", I'd imagine this would be used moreso when referring to possessions that were precious or valuable than to people.

Dellboi wrote: »
    Ó Murchú/Murchadha is é mo shloinne.
    means descendant of Murchadh, which i think means sea warrior.
    ceart and Murchadh was son of Brian Ború.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Morrissey - O Muirgheasa, derived from the words muir (sea) and geas (action)

• Advertisement
Advertisement