Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats your surname in irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Aw I would love to remember what my name is in Irish.

In english it's Mark McConnon, I think Mark's Marcus in Irish, would that be right?

In primary school I think I was refered to MacConainn (spelling's probably waaay off) during Irish class, could anyone please help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

McConnon wrote: »
    Aw I would love to remember what my name is in Irish.

In english it's Mark McConnon, I think Mark's Marcus in Irish, would that be right?

In primary school I think I was refered to MacConainn (spelling's probably waaay off) during Irish class, could anyone please help me?
    Mark = Marcas

Mar sin, Marcas Mac Canann is ainm duit! :) (or if it's a [Muineachán name McConnon could also be the Anglicisation of your ancestors' Mac Conéin)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

anladmór wrote: »
    does gomes have an irish translation?:P

one thing ive always wondereed, does Ni not translate to 'daughter of'?

I think it does; so for example Ní Chinnéide is a shortened version of Iníon Uí Chinnéide, the daughter of Ó Cinnéide

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

Agus wrote: »
    Mark = Marcas

Mar sin, Marcas Mac Canann is ainm duit! :) (or if it's a [Muineachán name McConnon could also be the Anglicisation of your ancestors' Mac Conéin)

Ah, go raibh maith agat Agus! (Hope my spelling is correct!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

my name is cullen in irish means "holy three" i think
    There can be little doubt that there were, at the very least, two lineages of Cullen in southeast Wexford from about the mid-14'th to the mid-17'th centuries. It's interesting that MacLysaght did not make any particular distinction between the two though his discussion of the families was brief. One family is said to have been Anglo-Norman, descendants of adventurers who arrived from the continent some time after 1170 and took the name Cullin or Cullen. The other family was a native Gaelic sept according to tradition and were found with the names of O'Cullin or O'Cullen. The distinction between the two names Cullen and O'Cullen was recognized in the 1659 survey in Co Wexford which reports that 25 Cullins or Cullens (Normanised families) were living in the baronies of Bargy and Shelbourne, while a greater population of 140 O'Cullins or O'Cullens were living in the Irish baronies of Shelmalier (East and West). By the mid-19'th century however, the O' had been dropped from the name of the Gaelic sept and so both Norman and Gaelic families were known as Cullen or Cullin. That the Gaelic Cullens dwelt in an area to the north of the Norman family is not surprising. With the arrival of the Normans came quite a bit of resistance from the native residents and the result was that the Gaelic sept was forced to relocate to the north. This division between the Norman and Gaelic families was not absolute and certainly Gaelic Cullens dwelt peacefully amidst the Norman family and vice versa. In time the Normans assimilated themselves into the native culture, blending their lifestyle with that of the Irish, creating a unique new culture often quoted as being "more Irish than the Irish themselves".

http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/CullHis2.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IrishKing

IrishKing wrote: »
    I also forgot Meaney Maney Mainey,and O Mainey and more then I can remember. And thanks again to Martin Maney 1752-1830
    I have found three positive lines of Maney originating in Ireland,first one: O'Maonaigh, Meaney, Maney, Mainey and Mooney with many more variants. Second one is: O'Mahoney and Maney,the older generation of Irish in the south pronounced Mahoney as Mainey or Maney with many more variants. Third one is: O'Maine, Maney and Manney,Oxford Univesity says this line is an Irish early personel name of unexplained origin, but after much more research I found this line probably comes from the old land of HY-Many or O'Kellys country, many people assumed these names as the land and people were powerful at the time. Thanks to Martin Maney 1752-1830

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Crowley -> Ó Cruadhlaoich meaning hard-hero or hardy warrior. Pretty apt as my Grandfather and my own father are pretty hardy men. The link to the irish times website is very good. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Firey wrote: »
    On another matter, seen as were talking Gaelic,
    I need to know what " My Precious Girl" is in Gaelic.

Any helpers?

If you need to have the word "girl" in the translation, it could be : "A chailín ghil mo chroí", or "A chailín dhil". Otherwise, the most used in everyday talk would be "A thaiscidh" or "A thaisce". The word "girl" would'nt need to be used as you would be addressing her directly. "Mobhornín" was mentioned by Misslt. This comes directly from "Mo mhuirnín" which is a perfect translation for "My darling" as is "A stór".

My dictionary has LÓMHAR as a word used in literature for "precious". Originating from "luachmhar" which means "valuable", I'd imagine this would be used moreso when referring to possessions that were precious or valuable than to people.

Dellboi wrote: »
    Ó Murchú/Murchadha is é mo shloinne.
    means descendant of Murchadh, which i think means sea warrior.
    ceart and Murchadh was son of Brian Ború.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Morrissey - O Muirgheasa, derived from the words muir (sea) and geas (action)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Great thread! I'm a history teacher and we have recently started doing Ireland in the Middle Ages and not one of the kids had heard of a coat of arms or heraldry and had no knowledge of their own families ever having had one (we were studying the initiation of Norman knights in late medieval Ireland).

This got the entire class enthused about their surnames and for the rest of the class I was explaining individually to each student the origin of their own names insofar as I could. I was genuinely shocked, for instance, that a kid named O'Sullivan had absolutely no knowledge of the Irish version of his name, where in Ireland the name came from and super famous leaders such as Dónall Cam Ó Súilleabháin Béirre. I could have talked to that one kid for the entire class about famous people of his name.

They were, thankfully, fascinated by the whole subject. I just wonder what sort of parents they have that they have so little prior awareness of their respective family histories.

I'm now trying to think of what type of project they could do. I'm tempted to get them to draw their family coat of arms, but I'm conscious that every family does not yet have a coat of arms. I think a family history of their surname would be a great idea to develop a sense of consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Dionysus wrote: »
    I'm now trying to think of what type of project they could do. I'm tempted to get them to draw their family coat of arms, but I'm conscious that every family does not yet have a coat of arms. I think a family history of their surname would be a great idea to develop a sense of consciousness.
    Or if they don't have one/can't find it, they could just make one up that suits them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

ó Loidáin,, sometimes spelt ó Loideáin.
    Haven't a clue where it stems from,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ní hIorua. It's apparently a Viking name (yarr, pillage, etc), and seeing as An Iorua is the Irish for Norway, I'mma guess it's right!

Or maybe it's a misspelling of Ior Rua.. hmm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sharonneeson

could any1 tell me the irish word for the surname penrose please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Penrose is most likely Cornish.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Ní hÉalaí or Ní hÉalaithe, depending on what tribe you what to be associated with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 b984jf93h

Here's a website which tells you the Irish for loads of names:

http://www.irishidentity.com/names.htm

I don't know what "Ní Chathmhaoil" means but it's Irish for Caulfield anyway.

'Turns out "Ní Chathmhaoil"/"Mac Cathmhaoil" also means Campbell. And you add a "h" for the female version, I'm presuming that's the same for all surnames.

If anyone knows where the name comes from (I think it's Norman), or what it means, I'd be very grateful if you could enlighten me. :)

Mise le meas,

caulmesarah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

My name is Jason Ray.
    Séasán Ó Riabhaigh is ainm dom.

"Ó Riabhaigh" means "grandson/descendant of the riabhach".
    Riabhach is the Irish word for grey,striped,streaked or brindled;therefore "Ó Riabhaigh" would mean "grandson/descendant of the grey one"i.e. grey-haired or streaked hair,and possibly somebody who wore grey or striped clothes.

Ó Riabhaigh is the Irish for surnames Ray,Rea,Ravey,Reavey and other variants.

Just for anyone who wanted to know!!:-):-):-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

Ward:

Quite numerous, very numerous...woohoo! Well, we're busy.

The original <?> version is rare, Mac a' Bháird. But it's a start.

My Greek first name probably doesn't have an Irish equivalent [edit: found a Scots-Gaelic version that is supposedly valid in Irish as well: Alastriona]....my middle does, my confirmation name - probably.

I think my dragon-in-law has done the genealogy back as far as the church that burned down with the records and the trail stops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Mine is Ó Dálaigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Barra ó hEarcáin is ainm dom.

I know that it originates from Donegal, but have never been told the meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

McEnroe. Below is the meaning I have heard most when trying to find out more. One place told me that Cú Rubha was an Ulster chief of some sort.

Anglicized form of Gaelic Mac Con Rubha ‘son of Cú Rubha’, meaning ‘hound of the promontory’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Byrne (and Byrnes, O'Byrne, O'Byrnes, Burns, Beirne) Ó Bhroin meaning raven and if you believe wiki (which i dont) and is the seventh most common last name in Ireland today.

Agus what does Ní mean??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

zynaps wrote: »
    That reminds me, our principal when I was in Coláiste Mhuire (which has now been declared unsafe and is to be knocked down seemingly), once walked by the jacks near our classroom when we were in 3rd year, came back into us and said "In ainm dé, cé a rinne an rud náireach sin sa leithreas? Ceapas gur asal a rinne é!"
    Good times....
    zynaps

Boots?.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rua327

Daithí O' Liathaín is anam dom

O' Liathaín is Lyons, which is an English name (Boo I know), but come from Galway, Cork and Limerick and is closely related to Lynch, Lynne, and Lehane.

Translates roughly as David (the grey man).

Only just found out that I am living in Carrigaline or Carraig Uí Leighin, which roughly translates as the rock of Lyons, Lynch, Lehane. So apparently I am now the king of the town. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Blackjack wrote: »
    Boots?.
    Ah, good old Boots! This was before that, around 1995 maybe - 'twas Monty at that time. Boots was 2nd in command :)
    decisions wrote: »
    Agus what does Ní mean??
    I think Ní and Nic just mean "daughter of", similar to Mac for "son of"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

zynaps wrote: »
    I think Ní and Nic just mean "daughter of", similar to Mac for "son of"?

Exactly.

Máire Ní Mhurchú and Seán Ó Murchú would be sister and brother. Sinéad Uí Mhurchú and Micheál Ó Murchú would be their parents.

Máire Ní Airt and Seán Ó hAirt would be sister and brother. Sinéad Uí Airt and Micheál Ó hAirt would be their parents.

Máire Nic Phiarais and Seán Mac Piarais would be sister and brother. Sinéad Mhic Phiarais and Micheál Mac Piarais would be their parents.

Máire Nic Eoin and Seán Mac Eoin would be sister and brother. Sinéad Mhic Eoin and Micheál Mac Eoin would be their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Sean ó Sheasnáin is ainm dom

Advertisement