Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in the Bag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I would recomend the MX-23 irons. They have recently been replaced by the MX-25s so you should find them at a good price. Personally I think the Mx-900s look a bit bulky. The MX-23s are as forgiving as any iron you will find IMO without looking too chunky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Adiaga 2 wrote:
    I would recomend the MX-23 irons. They have recently been replaced by the MX-25s so you should find them at a good price. Personally I think the Mx-900s look a bit bulky. The MX-23s are as forgiving as any iron you will find IMO without looking too chunky.
    they are a great club, i have them! feel off them is class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

had a lend of the MP 32s a while back very nice clubs alright the mizunos, made me jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ms1972

Thanks for the advise on the clubs lads, went to the pro shop and took out a selection of Mizunos. Was by far hitting the MX900's alot sweeter. Anyways, went onto EBay and seen the bats for 400 euro, half the price of Dublin shops... Went onto the seller and asked him about paying the VAT upon receipt and he just said.... ''leave it with me'' They turned up this week and he had written on the box they were a club repair at a cost of 90 dollars resulting in no tax to pay.......

Bargain lads, 450 all in for a brand spanking new set of bats that would have cost 800 bills here...... get shopping.

Apologys to the VAT man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

*** UPDATE ***

Great thread lads, very interesting... My bag is a bit mix and match - Recently got my first GUI of 14 but reckon I'm more lke 18... Anyway, here goes -

Driver: Ping G5 (tested one in the range and could not physically bring myself to even touch my old driver [old model McGregor that I hit just fine!] so I splashed out)... Stiff shaft, 10.5 degree. It goes farrrrrrrrrrr >>> No change here. If I could, I would marry this club.
    3Wood: Don't carry one, it went in the trade-in for the G5! >>> titleist steel shaft, bought from DMan15 - chuffed with it so far. I had what I thought was an incurable fear of 3Woods there for a while but I like this one. Looks real pretty too! :)
    Rescue Club: No kiddin, but I bought my rescue in LIDL! And I love the thing. Use it on tight drives and from the fairway and alot around the green - the best €20 anyone ever spent! >>> No change here either! Crackin little piece of equipment.
    4-SW: Colt graphite shafts I got for a gargain €125 a few years ago. They're not bad but thinkin of switching back to steel shafts soon. >>> All change here, long overdue really... Got me a set of Mizuno x19 and they are great. Very forgiving and I'm hitting them very consistently. They just look better behind the ball, know what i mean?
    LW: Love this club, it cost me the princely sum of €12 in the Golf Factory in Cherry Orchard and has been a huge boost to my short game (I was a 23 when I bought it so that has been a huge help) >>> No change here either but I am thinking of updating my wedges soon, need a Gap Wedge.

Putter: Ping, blade type. Like it alot but my lag putting is killing me (any advice welcome!). Had been using a mallet-style for a while before that which cured some insufferable putting woes but it was time to go back to the blade and I'm glad I did! >>> No change in putter but changed my technique and am putting better than I ever have before. I now love putting. I used to tremble at the thought of having to do it.
    Bag: I can't remember! Bought it the same day I got my irons! Ah wait - its a plain black Top Flight! >>> Very fancy Wilson bag... Went into American Golf to buy a Gap Wedge and came out with this! What ya gonna do, eh?

Wet Gear: Kartel pants & jacket I won in a society event - was gonna trade em in but glad I kept em. Quality stuff! >>> Still got em...

Ball: Having used the Pro V quite a bit I have to say I can't justify spending that sorta bread on it. The best ball for performance and value - in my opinion - is the Nike distance ball. Comes in hard and soft version and is usually €20 a dozen - an excellent ball I think. >>> Yeah, still like this ball. Although played with a Titleist NXT the other day for a few holes (til I lost it! :) ) and liked that too!
    Trolley: Just bought me an electric trolley on ebay for a knock-down price. Hopefully it arrives and does the job though! Looking forward to that - I reckon an elec trolley saves ya 3 shots a game - what do you guys think? >>> Don't get me started on them ebay c*nts (currently in dispute) but I did buy a Pulsar elec trolley (with seat!) for a bargain price and after two round can safely say I'll never pull/push a cart again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

switched the Ben hogans for a set of Callaway X18s extra inch long beautiful club

• Registered Users Posts: 26 N1977

The bag has changed a bit since my previous post in October 2005.

Driver: TM R7 HT 9.5 with Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff
    Woods: TM R7 st 3 & 5 with Reax 70 stiff
    Irons: Callaway X-tour 3-PW with Dynamic Gold S300
    Wedges: TM RAC TP satin 54 & 60 degree
    Putter: Odyssey white hot 2-ball

• Subscribers Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daveym wrote:
    FT-3 9.5*
    steelhead III #3
    heavenwood 20 degree.
    4-PW X-Tour
    52 RAC Fe2o3
    56,60 Vokey Spin Milled
    Mezza Monza CS

slight change since then, now
    have x-tour 3 wood instead of the steelhead and
    FT-3H hybrid instead of the heavenwood.

Prob going to have a look at the FT-i and FT-5 when they come
    out and see are they worth changing too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mejner

Driver: Cobra 400SZ
    Spoon: Titleist 980F 17 degrees
    Irons: 3-PW Ben Hogan Apex FTX (½ inch long, 2 degrees upright)
    Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Ben Hogan Riviera
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Steel #5

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bigeasy

Driver : Taylormade R5 dual type D stiff
    3 Wood : Callaway steelhaed III stiff
    Irons : 3-PW Macgregor v-foil m565 regular
    52 degree : Macgregor v-foil tour
    56 degree : Macgregor v-foil tour
    60 degree : Macgregor ez out
    Putter : Ping zing 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Pretty much all Titleist in my bag...

905s driver

titleist 4-wood (i often leave this in the boot though and stick in an extra wedge instead)

3-pw - Titleist 704 irons

Wedges - choice between vokey 50, 54, 58, 60, cleveland 48, 58

Putter - alternate between original ping anser and odyssey white hot #5

i also have a titleist 2-iron, but that rarely comes out of the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 Stiff, set up neutral, but considering puting two 14 g weights in the back to increase my lanuch angle. Which is currently only around 9 degrees.

3 Wood: Taylor Made Super Steel S90 Bubble Shaft. (An oldie but cant find anything better that it)

Hybrid: Talyor Made Rescue Dual 19deg, Stiff shaft and has 2 8 gramme weigths in it.

Irons: 3 - 9 Ping I3 Blades. All 3 degrees up and an inch longer than standard with 2 layers of tape on them. All JZ Stiff shafts

Wedges:
    48deg Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series with 6 deg bounce and Dymanic Gold Wedge flex shafts
    54 deg Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled with 10 deg bounce and Dymanic Gold Wedge flex shafts
    60 deg Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled with 8 deg bounce and Dymanic Gold Wedge flex shafts
    All are 1 inch longer, 3 degrees up and 2 layers of tape with tour velvet grips

Putter
    Scotty Cameron Newport Gun metal. Fully restored by the custom shop

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Driver : Ping G5 , Wilson 2,5 Wood
    Rescue club : Ram Wizard 21degrees
    Irons : Callaway x20's 4 - s/w
    Putter : 15yr old Old Ping
    Golf Ball : Callaway 4's

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

Ping G5, 10.5 deg
    Ping G5 3 wood & 16 deg hybrid
    Cleveland TA6 4-PW
    Cleveland 588 51 deg, CG10 56 & 60 deg
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza
    Titleist ProV1

Irons are up for review ...

Callaway - X18 pro or X tours .. good value to be had with them with the X20's out now.
    Ping I5's
    Cleveland CG4 tours

Any suggestions and/or experience on the above list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Driver: T/Made R7 425 9.5 Stiff
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead 4wood Stiff
    Irons: Titleist 981 3-LW (custom fit, +3/4 inch, 2deg upright)
    Putter: Callaway 2-ball
    Ball: Pro V1

Fairway wood and irons have both been up for review for about 3 years, but love them so don't wanna change. They're so old it's ridiculous. Plus irons are custom fit so it'd be a pain in arse getting that done again!

btw
    got the R7 only recently enough. What do people think of them? Had a really old 975D before that, and man is the the R7 ridiculously easier to hit. I can make the sh1ttiest auld swing in the world and I feel it will still go straight down the middle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'm actually thinking of getting the set that Kevodaly has....I'm only a beginner though...what would be recommended....

Hi Lucas - i think the TA6's are a good beginners iron - and if you are interested you could buy mine !! They are in very good condition, only a year and a half old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Have only been playing seriously for the last twelve months after playing on and off for about five years, broke 90 for the first time last Monday!! I play off 14 in society but i reckon im about 16/17

Driver: Taylormade R7 draw model.

3 & 5 wood: Dunlop clubs which i bought 12 months ago as part of a set, will replace them soon though.

4 - sw: Slazenger Ezees.

lw: Titliest or Mizuno, depends on the course.

Putter: Maxfli

Ball: Pro v's, only cos i dont pay for em though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had a goo at my old post from last year and ive some changes in the bad, also took a few pics of them trying to put them up.

Taylor Made R540 10.5 driver with an AR45 stiff shaft (the red and gold)

Titleist 975k driver with a graffaloy pro lite stiff shaft

Taylor Made V-steel 18* 5 wood with ys6 stiff shaft

Mizuno mp30 irons 3- pw with s300 shafts (i think) Nicest irons ive ever hit

Titleist Vokey 52* gap wedge and 60* lob wedge ( snapped)

Nike SV 56* sand wedge

Odyseey 2 ball white hot steel edition

Generally use a soft ball mainly pro v1 types or maybe callaways and srixon ad333. Starting to like the nike one black and platinums too.

New callaway orange and black bag

5woodjz7.th.jpg
    5woodshaftyd8.th.jpg
    driverke5.th.jpg
    gapwedgelf2.th.jpg
    gripnj1.th.jpg
    mizunomp30ey5.th.jpg
    putterpn8.th.jpg
    sandwedgeti1.th.jpg
    shaftvi1.th.jpg
    thebagaa1.th.jpg
    thebag2en8.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

2 drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah, that is weird. I have a mixed set, Top Flight irons and woods, a special one iron called 'The Doctor', a dunlop putter, some copper wedge that people keep trying to buy off me aswel, it can pretty much put the ball vertical and is really old.

Have a Wilson set and a Titleist set too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ive 3 drivers, not all in the bag obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Cleveland Launcher Ti460 10.5* stiff fujikura shaft
    MD Golf Superstrong 17* 4 wood UST Competition series 75g stiff
    MD golf 19* Hybrid
    Taylor Made RAC OS 3-PW Stiff
    SMT Durometer 51* GW
    Taylor Made RAC Satin 56* SW
    Odyssey 2ball White Hot 35"

Balls:
    Titleist Pro V1x
    Bridgestone B330-S
    Precept U-tri Tour

Mizuno bag (black)

In and out of bag
    Taylor Made burner 3W and 5W

kevodaly wrote:
    Ping G5, 10.5 deg
    Ping G5 3 wood & 16 deg hybrid
    Cleveland TA6 4-PW
    Cleveland 588 51 deg, CG10 56 & 60 deg
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza
    Titleist ProV1

Irons are up for review ...

Callaway - X18 pro or X tours .. good value to be had with them with the X20's out now.
    Ping I5's
    Cleveland CG4 tours

Any suggestions and/or experience on the above list

Update - decided on the x-tours (S300) ... picked them up on Monday. Now I want a nice new callaway bag ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Here's my current bag (Handicap 9):

Ping Rapture Driver - 9* Alvila NV Proto Stiff
    Cobra X Speed LD 18* Fairway - Fujikura Speeder Stiff
    Ping G5 Hybrid 16* Rescue - Graffalloy Pro Launch Stiff
    Ping i5 Irons - Red Dot, 3-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 58*, Rifle Project X 6.0, 1* Flat

Just got a new putter last week, the new Odyssey Black Series (#2 model). Absolutley fantastic putter. Just have to find the time to start playing more!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

Just taking Golf up and here's whats in my bag. Is it a good choice?

Driver: TaylorMade Mens r7 SuperQuad 460 10.5 loft, Graphite, Regular Flex
    Woods: TaylorMade Mens r7 Ti Fairway Woods 3,5 and 7 - Right, 15/18/2 loft, Graphite, Regular Flex
    Rescue: TaylorMade Mens r7 Draw Rescue Hybrid Wood 28 loft, Graphite, Regular Flex
    Irons: TaylorMade Mens r7 CGB Max Irons 3- PW, SW, A & L - Right, Steel, Regular Flex
    Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-Ball SRT
    The Bag itself: Ogio Vision SS Shling Stand Bag - Red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Driver : King Cobra xF Speed 10.5 loft Aldila NV-F/Speed Tuned 55g shaft and a Golf Pride Reminder Design 50D Durometer grip.

Rescue club : Ram Wizard 21degrees
    Irons : Callaway x20's (4 - s/w)
    Putter : 15yr old Old Ping
    Golf Ball : Callaway 4's / Pinnacle Gold

Really like the Cobra - bit noisy though! X-20's are very forgiving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

In the bag (Handicap 8):
    G5 7.0deg Aldila NV stiff shaft 75g
    G5 13deg 3 wood Aldila NV stiff shaft 65g (I think...)
    G5 Rescue 19deg prolaunch stiff shaft
    Titleist 775CB 3-PW (Best irons ever hit, unbelievable.)
    Vokey 52 deg gap wedge
    Vokey 56 deg spin milled lob wedge
    Ping Redwood Piper S putter

Irons excellent, would recommend them to anybody. According to a few reviews I've read on the web they're aimed at folk playing off mid single figures and upwards, ie most of us!! Very forgiving, good value on ebay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Taylor Made R7 Superquad 9.5deg, reg shaft
    Titleist 975 4-wood
    3-pw - Titleist 704 CB's
    Titleist copper 52 wedge
    Vokey 54.10 spin milled wedge
    Cleveland 60 deg
    Odyssey 2 ball XG - 34 inches
    Bag - Black Ping lightweight
    Ball - Prov1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anybody have any experience of this driver??
    thinking if purchasing 1 on ebay.......

Advertisement