Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not answering calls from private numbers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

I think it varies on different phones too. My XDA says "Private Number" and "Unknown" - not sure of the difference though, whereas my k750i said "Witheld", as did my previous Nokias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'm aware of just 2 different ways of not showing the number (both on the same nokia).
    The first is "Private Number" - usually from blocked numbers.
    The second is "Call" - uaually from a large company switchboard.

Some switches will display the 4 digit extn only.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Unless you have a history of getting prank calls it seems very strange not to answer the phone just because it shows private number. A lot of companies phones would show up as private number when ringing to mobiles. Actually it seems comical just thinking about the level of paranoia

Ya care enough to label me paranoid, socially insecure and high and mighty!!

Right... I never labelled anybody anything. I did point out my own traits though. Seems you really are paranoid.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's not paranoia if they are really out to get you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Feck that, If they do not show a caller id i refuse to answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The Bollox wrote:
    or it could be someone you REALLY don't want to talk to like an ex, or boss / colleague looking for you to work today

Would you not just say that you are not working today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Private number = Not answering, its simple.
    Anyone ignorant enough to not send their number when calling a private phone I.E mine doesnt deserve an answer!
    And the whole big company switch crap doesnt wash either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

How can you call someone ignorant for calling from a private number?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I generally do not answer private/with held numbers. In my experience, it is normally companies selling you something.

I think that most people have too much reliance on being contactable/contacting someone all the time. It is nice to relax and not answer the phone sometimes.

The way some people carry on, you would swear their life is going to end if they don't phone/text/get a call.

• Advertisement

"It is nice to relax and not answer the phone sometimes. "
    This is true, unrelated to the topic though.

"I generally do not answer private/with held numbers. In my experience, it is normally companies selling you something."
    2 phones and not once have I ever had a marketing call on either of them, private or otherwise. Why are you giving your number to random companys?

ciaranfo wrote:
    "It is nice to relax and not answer the phone sometimes. "
    This is true, unrelated to the topic though.

I relax when a private number rings, I do not answer it. Of course, it is related to the topic
    "I generally do not answer private/with held numbers. In my experience, it is normally companies selling you something."
    2 phones and not once have I ever had a marketing call on either of them, private or otherwise. Why are you giving your number to random companys?

Random companies? Unless I go ex-directory, my phone number is public knowledge and there are companies out there that use that public knowledge to market things. Almost everyone one of them goes private when calling.

Sorry Dub... my original post referred to mobile phones and I don't think I actually made that clear. Obviously then your mobile number isn't listed in any mad directorys or anything which is where my reply came from. Sorry.

Fair point although I do not even answer my mobile if I do not recognise the number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Right... I never labelled anybody anything. I did point out my own traits though. Seems you really are paranoid.

Yeh you did, read your own 'labelling' post.
    Jeez.

And there you go again, eh LABELLING.

You don't care what numbers I answer so shut up -and why bother telling me that you're 'socially astute', 'non-judgmental' (ha) and 'levelheaded'.
    You're the one getting their private number knickers in a twist over who answers what.

crybaby wrote:
    Unless you have a history of getting prank calls it seems very strange not to answer the phone just because it shows private number. A lot of companies phones would show up as private number when ringing to mobiles. Actually it seems comical just thinking about the level of paranoia

However, the ones that don't answer private numbers are winning (cos they ain't frothing at the mouth and namecalling)

Lalala.

ciaranfo wrote:
    How can you call someone ignorant for calling from a private number?

how can anyone call someone ignorant/paranoid/socially-inept/twats and the best one, 'uncool' (woooo) for not bothering with hidey-scaredy people behind private numbers?

Touché.

User45701 wrote:
    Would you not just say that you are not working today?

Not all bosses/workplaces are like yours, obvciously. You're lucky.
    Welcome to 24/7 Celtic Tigerdom.

I generally do not answer private/with held numbers. In my experience, it is normally companies selling you something.

I think that most people have too much reliance on being contactable/contacting someone all the time. It is nice to relax and not answer the phone sometimes.

The way some people carry on, you would swear their life is going to end if they don't phone/text/get a call.

hurrah. Voice of reason.

Don't forget, one of the reasons for always answering private numbers is 'you don't know what you could be missing' - the mantra of the quickfix generation. Pah. I agree, get a life and DON'T pander to your bloody phone.

This is bloody ridiculous!

ciaranfo wrote:
    Sorry Dub... my original post referred to mobile phones and I don't think I actually made that clear. Obviously then your mobile number isn't listed in any mad directorys or anything which is where my reply came from. Sorry.

Neither was one posters number available at all (a couple of days old) yet he/she got called by their bank on it.
    You topup through an ATM and apparently you are now fair game!
    It's mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

My daughter has her number withheld because of all the prank calling amoung her friends; it's the only private number I will answer. I can understand teens blocking their ID, but adults - no. I personally find it a bit unsettling when I see 'private number' displayed on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my expereiences with private numbers

the bank -ringing to sell me something
    the local garda sation -contcting me in regards to an accident
    my mate who works in aldi - which doesnt give out any of the store numbers.

Yeh you did, read your own 'labelling' post.
    Jeez.

And there you go again, eh LABELLING.

You don't care what numbers I answer so shut up -and why bother telling me that you're 'socially astute', 'non-judgmental' (ha) and 'levelheaded'.
    You're the one getting their private number knickers in a twist over who answers what.

Again you are making random statements up. I never used the words socially astute or levelheaded yet you are quoting me on them. I never have my number on private, yet you say I am getting my "private number knickers in a twist".

As I said before, I don't care at all what any of you do, I was just pointing out some pro's for answering private numbers although I myself keep my number displayed at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

My daughter has her number withheld because of all the prank calling amoung her friends; it's the only private number I will answer..
    ok so your daughter is the only private number you answer. may i ask how you know its her?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

ok so your daughter is the only private number you answer. may i ask how you know its her?

haha :D took the words right out of my mouth...or off my keyboard :confused:

Advertisement