Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not answering calls from private numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Zillah wrote:
    To anyone who refuses to answer private numbers and doesn't have a history of being pranked/stalked: You're a spa. Grow up.

Why should people have the right to decide if they want to talk to the person calling them before answering the phone. They should be accessible to anyone who wants to contact them and how dare they want to have a choice in the matter. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

micmclo wrote:
    Only exception is switchboards which always blocks the ID but that only applies during office hours.
    Depending on the switch (and the mobile), it would often come up as "Call" or else just the 4 digit extension shows.

I'd rarely answer private number (only when expecting an important call). Everyone I know knows as much, so they either show the number or won't get me. I don't use a voicemail either, but I would call people back when their number shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Fine, decide not to answer the phone. That is your choice. I sometimes don't answer calls when I can see who's calling! :D

I just don't understand the blanket ban on private numbers, it seems a bit narrow minded or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Never has a call that came through a private number been important so i don't answer them. I like to know who i'm talking to, or about to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

What did we do before caller ID - oh I know - we picked up the damn phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Alter-Ego wrote:
    Never has a call that came through a private number been important so i don't answer them. I like to know who i'm talking to, or about to talk to.
    How often is a non-private number call that important if we're honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Decided about a year ago not to answer private number calls. If it's important they can leave a message. Nobody has given a good reason for someone to actually put their phone on private. I understand some people cant help it, but there's people out there that do it on purpose.

ciaranfo wrote:
    How often is a non-private number call that important if we're honest.
    That's twisting it for the wrong reason.
    When my mates ring me, it's never *that* important, but it does help to answer and organise basic social events - like meeting your friends, having a chat, etc. ie for what a phone is primarily used for! (for me anyway)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Zillah wrote:
    To anyone who refuses to answer private numbers and doesn't have a history of being pranked/stalked: You're a spa. Grow up.

rubbish, i never answer private numbers, it is always an employment agency or the bank. Or someone else who knows you don't want to talk to them.
    I check the messages when it suits and call back if I want to give them my time.
    no normal person hides their number.

as for the ex-directory thing, they do come up as private, but anyone I know well who has one saves my number with the 4 (I think?) in front to show their number. They do this for anyone they expect to answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I had a few 'silent' calls, decided then never again. I don't answer private numbers. Its a pity that technology has given saps and divvies the idea that they have a 'right' to abuse people. It is an abuse, one brought about by technology.

Combine that with Data protection etc and I feel the situation is in favour of folk that want to extend their ignorant behaviour through technology.

I had an employer giving out about it, but I made it clear. No Number=Not answered. Whenever I was needed, I was contacted with a number showing up on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ciaranfo wrote:
    What if it's your mate trying to ring you from work? What if it's your mate ringing from another mobile phone that he doesn't want you to start replying to by mistake? What if someones ringing you in an emergency?

he should get a new job for a company that doens't feel the need to hide their number or use his mobile like a normal person.

second is laughable

third, what kind of emergencies are these private number callers who are calling from work or a mobile they don't want me to reply to by mistake going to have?

"It's an emergency would you like a loan/new job/to do a survey"

normal people don't hide their numbers so when they call you in an 'emergency' the issue doesn't come up..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ill answer any calls i get on my phone. But i hang up instantly if they are doing any sales crap or questionares.

Dont get any prankcalls except from the odd one from good friends which i dont mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Why would anyone refuse to answer a private number? I find it hard to believe that prank calls are this common. If you don't want to talk to someone, tell them you're busy.

My Dad has his number on private because he doesn't want clients ringing him back at all hours over every little thing. I can think of some other people who tend to put their numbers on private for no apparent reason, but I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with it either way.

The only problem I can think of is explaining to these people why I would see it as an issue and refuse to answer the phone when they call!

InFront wrote:
    I can think of some other people who tend to put their numbers on private for no apparent reason, but I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with it either way.
    Did you even read the thread?
    There's 40 odd posts above telling you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its not about prank calls for me just that I have better things to do with my time than listen to inane drivel. If someone rings me then they can expect to be screened and anyone who does not provide a number gets relegated to the “unimportant calls” category which takes a lower precedence than scratching myself. I will decide who I speak to, not some random caller.

cast_iron wrote:
    Did you even read the thread?
    There's 40 odd posts above telling you why.
    And I replied to the two most common reasons given. Again:
    I find it hard to believe that prank calls are this common. If you don't want to talk to someone, tell them you're busy.

InFront wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that prank calls are this common. If you don't want to talk to someone, tell them you're busy.
    Well prank calls aren't - probably because alot of people just don't answer private numbers. Or maybe they are and we don't know!

Answering someone and telling them your busy can be easily taken to be a bit rude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I answer them on my landline but not on my mobile, unless I'm expecting a call. If a number I don't recognise pops up I won't answer that either. If it's someone/something important they'll leave a message, otherwise I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Zillah wrote:

Bullshi'ite.

I rarely answer private numbers or numbers I don't recognise (unless eg. I'm expecting a call about a job or somethin).

I've not been pranked ever. But if it's a private number, then I don't know who's ringing me, and it might be somebody I don't want to talk to (a) ever, or (b) at that time.

And if I answer it, then I may end up being ambushed into talking to someone that I don't want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

cast_iron wrote:
    Well prank calls aren't - probably because alot of people just don't answer private numbers. Or maybe they are and we don't know!

Answering someone and telling them your busy can be easily taken to be a bit rude.

Not to mention that lying is bad!

Also if it's work looking to call you in at the last minute or some other similar less predictable obligation "I'm busy" aint gonna cut it.

• Advertisement

I wonder if those people from 'The Ring' had caller ID? They should have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I always answer them, then I've never had a problem with prank calls or anything. A few friends of mine keep their numbers private for some bizarre reason or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I never answer a private number, unless expecting an important phone call. Because I don't know anyone who has their phone on private, and anyone who puts their personal mobile on private is a knob, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Private Number on my phone = work asking me something stupid or telling me something stupid or being stupid (ie they cant work the phone and ring me accidentally). And if its not work itself its someone from work, eg "Can I swap shifts with so & so" or "how many kegs do you want this week?". Dont ever ring me on a Monday morning at 10 o'clock asking me what I'd like to order this week. Diageo found out the hard way! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

My number (not ex-directory) comes up as 'private number' on some of my friends' phones, even though they have it entered with my name on it.

And my sister's number comes up as just the phone number on my mobile, even though I've entered it into my mobile as a 'contact' with her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well when I was like 13 we all used to put on private number it was just the done thing now I never have private number on and also rarely receive calls from private numbers and when I do their usually just prank calls from my friends when their drunk or something

Id still always answer them though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

luckat wrote:
    And my sister's number comes up as just the phone number on my mobile, even though I've entered it into my mobile as a 'contact' with her name.

You have her number saved twice, remove one of them and her name will appear in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, JohnCleary, I'll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I hide it on my work mobile, i dont wan't people having direct access to my mobile line unless i give it to them directly. They want me they can come through the switch. As for answering them I always do and if it's some one i dont want to talk to they get cut down quick. As for telemarketers they get a quick speil about removing me from their system followed up by prompty hanging up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

used never answer private numbers, but moved jobs a few months ago and the switch board comes up as private, so have to answer them during work hours now. bummer.....
    dont answer them out of hours though

Advertisement