Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not answering calls from private numbers

Options
  • 06-05-2007 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Some people just point blank refuse to take calls from private numbers on their phone.

Are they fools? Ignorant? I just don't bloody well understand it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I never ever answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I rarely answer them, but my Dad and a few of my friends have private numbers for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i can understand it tbh. especially from someone who's been prank called a lot. i still answer them but i don't like them. i don't see any need for them unless its for a business or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The only people I know who do this have had enough experience with prank callers hiding behind private numbers to decide its not worth their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

None of the people I know have private numbers and if someone else is ringing me it's usually to annoy me about something so they can go fuck themselves. If it's important you can leave a voicemail or send a text.

Why hide your number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Unless I'm specificly expecting a call then I'll never answer a private number. If they dont want me to know who they are then they can **** off if they think I'll answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭curiosity

I suppose people have their reasons, however I think ex-directory numbers always come up as private. People ringing from private numbers should always leave a voicemail though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

What if it's your mate trying to ring you from work? What if it's your mate ringing from another mobile phone that he doesn't want you to start replying to by mistake? What if someones ringing you in an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

humbert wrote:
    Why hide your number?

Sometimes you can't help it. When I call people on Skype it comes up as private, or public phones or whatever.

But yeah, on you're mobile you'd need to be a paranoid freak to hide your number. Or else you're just a nob :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't answer them outside of business hours. During the day there is the chance the person calling is from a company that has a phone switch with the number sending turned off. I can't really take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ciaranfo wrote:
    What if it's your mate trying to ring you from work? What if it's your mate ringing from another mobile phone that he doesn't want you to start replying to by mistake? What if someones ringing you in an emergency?

He can leave a voicemail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

ntlbell wrote:

eh hello, how are you. im about to get attacked/think the house is getting robbed. ring us back on 086 bla bla bla.... FFS they arent going ot eat you if you don tknow them when you answer then hang up...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ex-directory numbers always show as private.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eh hello, how are you. im about to get attacked/think the house is getting robbed. ring us back on 086 bla bla bla.... FFS they arent going ot eat you if you don tknow them when you answer then hang up...
    999 was the number you wanted in that case, so why did you call me instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If it was that important then I'm sure they'd ring back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't normally answer them, if someone wants their identity hidden from me then I don't want to know about it. My Dad hides his all the time but I change it when I get the chance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't have private number prejudice. I just never answer my phone regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I just never answer my phone full stop:)its usually work on a private number trying to get me to come in with no notice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I almost never answer calls from private numbers. I always think they have something to hide by not showing their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

yeah i never do. just on the off chance that it's someone I don't want to talk to. sure they can leave a voicemail anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Had problems with prank calls in the past.
    Never answer private numbers now.

People are too contactable anyway-leave a damn voicemail if it's important.
    If anyone reading this takes their mobile into the gym and stops people from using machines, shame of you! My pet hate:mad:

And hey, it could be the local garda station-their number is always withheld for obvious reasons

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Ex-directory numbers always show as private.

No they don't. My home is ex-directory and the number shows up in caller ID.

I tend not to answer them because of years of prank calls. Also, none of my close friends or family have their numbers blocked, so if the caller isn't one of them, I'm not really too interested.

Faith wrote:
    No they don't. My home is ex-directory and the number shows up in caller ID.
    maybe its different in edinburgh but anyone i know with an ex-directory number shows up as private

ciaranfo wrote:
    What if it's your mate trying to ring you from work?
    he can ring back
    ciaranfo wrote:
    What if it's your mate ringing from another mobile phone that he doesn't want you to start replying to by mistake?
    then he can tell you not to text it back when you answer
    ciaranfo wrote:
    What if someones ringing you in an emergency?
    then they can turn private off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I typically answer calls from withheld number but I'd probably be better off if I didn't as about 90% of them are wrong numbers, callers that hang up immediately or cold callers I don't want to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

To anyone who refuses to answer private numbers and doesn't have a history of being pranked/stalked: You're a spa. Grow up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am of the opinion of Zillah. And even if you are pranked a lot, is it not fun to waste their credit?

Myt number is on pricvate, no reason, just the natural setting. Nobody I know doesn't answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

We didn't always have called ID on the mobile network, think it only introduced in 98. We always answered calls before then.

These days people are used to it and / or take it for granted, therefore I guess we subconsciously or consciously screen our calls these days to decide whether we want to take the call or not.

I actually used to get prank calls from someone who DIDN'T with-hold their number. Pretty dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Zillah wrote:
    To anyone who refuses to answer private numbers and doesn't have a history of being pranked/stalked: You're a spa. Grow up.

Nonsense, and the majority of posters here have already disagreed with this.
    You don't owe the caller anything-if they can't be bothered showing their ID, why bother answer.
    They can always leave a voicemail

Only exception is switchboards which always blocks the ID but that only applies during office hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

my freespeech.ie voip can't provide caller id. They say it costs extra to do but i don't believe that. Anyhow it is very annoying as i have the problem of people not answering my calls as a result.

Advertisement