Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not answering calls from private numbers

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

People who don't answer private numbers, unless for valid reasons, are fúcking morons and should get over themselves. It's not cool and it achieves nothing.

it achieves the exact purpose I want it to : not talking to people who call from private numbers. is it not a valid reason because you say so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

People who don't answer private numbers, unless for valid reasons, are fúcking morons and should get over themselves. It's not cool and it achieves nothing.
    My not answering withheld numbers achieves plenty as I don't then have to talk to them and can carry on doing whatever it was I was doing before being disturbed by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

i got a call from a private number a few days ago i answered it and it was my bank tellin me i was behind in a loan repayment nothing serious, i asked them how did u get my number as i only had my new number a few weeks he said it was on the system, it couldnt of been. the only explaination i can think of was they took my number from the internet top ups i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LOL! Jesus wept!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

delah wrote:
    LOL! Jesus wept!

it fairness this was news to me. I was strutting along not answering private numbers thinking I was the man until I was put straight by safe..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

You calling me a fúcking moron? Couldn't give a toss but if its easier for you to making sweeping idiotic statements then knock yourself out genius.:rolleyes:
    Others have already explained on this thread their reasons why, there are some serious weirdo's out there and anyone who's ever had to put up with harrassing calls is well within their rights to ignore whatever calls they see fit.
    It's my phone ffs and I'll answer it when I damn well feel like.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

some right odd folk coming outta the wood work here. so you have a mobile phone. a means for people to communicate with you, be it your friends, family, potential clients, and in the small cases as a nice lass pointed out a obsessive ex. now in all fairness alot of people are on private for whatever reasons, my father is on private as in his job he is required to ring alot of clients to instuct them on yadda yadda, he doesnt want 50 phone calls after work when hes home about it so he doesnt give out his number, fair nuff. now lets say my dad heard that some one here on boards provided a service in which was needed by my father and in doing so would make mr. boardsie a nice packet.

the twits here wouldn't bother answering because it might be there ex or a prank caller(prank calls after the age of 12 are unheard of imo, and i'm an asshole so i'd be first in line for em).

i go through phases of avoiding calls, what i do is answer but stay silent so i can hear the person, if i dont wanna talk i leave it off the hook so it seems like my phone answered in my pocket. simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

exactly, I don't want some unsolicited muppet offering me his services.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

humbert wrote:
    exactly, I don't want some unsolicited muppet offering me his services.

you stike me as a man who wont go far in life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

But if said "unsolicited muppet" displayed his number you would answer???

• Advertisement

Well I'll try not to lose too much sleep over that :)

Na, then I'd know I don't know them as I said earlier in the thread.

So have you never answered the phone to someone you dont know?? Never gone for a job?? Never given your number to a girl?? Never had to be contacted by someone that you didnt know?? Never had a friend ring you off someone elses phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

markk06 wrote:
    So have you never answered the phone to someone you dont know?? Never gone for a job?? Never given your number to a girl?? Never had to be contacted by someone that you didnt know?? Never had a friend ring you off someone elses phone??
    I'd listen to the voicemessage and decide if I wanted to ring them back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

i personally had got a lot of prank calls at one stage!! so now just dont answer private calls and all my friends know i dont. As for everyday calls....There's no point in blocking your number!!!

Dear me, I mentioned all this earlier. If I have some reason to suspect it's someone I want to talk to I'l answer(btw, try calling the girl, time spent waiting for a call that never came might explain all this bitterness).

Also as has been mentioned before, voicemail and texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i hate answering private calls, why do people have to block their number.

I can see all you people will go very far in business and life...:rolleyes:

"i had this great opportunity but i didnt take it coz the guy rang from a private number"

But then again if you dont answer these calls its probably because you have achieved nothing already and nobody has ever had the need to pick up the phone and ring you for anything more than your adress when they deliver you a pizza... But then again you'd probably go hungry because you dont know the delivery guys number...:confused:

markk06 wrote:

"i had this great opportunity but i didnt take it coz the guy rang from a private number"

But then again if you dont answer these calls its probably because you have achieved nothing already and nobody has ever had the need to pick up the phone and ring you for anything more than your adress when they deliver you a pizza... But then again you'd probably go hungry because you dont know the delivery guys number...:confused:

I suspect you're often disappointed when answering private numbers, ever expecting that life changing opportunity to arrive via some mysterious caller, only to be asked to fill in a survey on your shopping habits :D

can i have your number, you sound hot!

You sound hot too.... Have i ever met you?? You remind me of a guy i dated... The last date being last night in blackrock...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

markk06 wrote:

are you on some new kind of sarcastic-flavoured ecstasy or something?

• Advertisement

humbert wrote:
    I suspect you're often disappointed when answering private numbers, ever expecting that life changing opportunity to arrive via some mysterious caller, only to be asked to fill in a survey on your shopping habits :D
    Shopping habits including buying and selling the likes of you

markk06 wrote:
    Shopping habits including buying and selling the likes of you

haha, classic :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

markk06 wrote:

And it's a shame they didn't know how to leave a voicemail :rolleyes:

If someone wants to get you they'll leave a voicemail. 9 times out of 10 I am actually doing something when the phone rings. If it's someone important I'll answer the phone. If it's private it's not important to me. And if it is important they'll have the intelligence to leave a message.

Hi you've reached mick o'neill, leave a message after the beep
    **BEEP**
    Hi you have thirty seconds to answer this life changing question.. the question is.. oh no wait too late... ooh sorry guess you should have answered the phone

markk06 wrote:
    **BEEP**
    Hi you have thirty seconds to answer this life changing question.. the question is.. oh no wait too late... ooh sorry guess you should have answered the phone

I bet you're waiting on that lotto money the charming fellow called to let you know was ready to be transferred into your account if you could just give him a few details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

we dont need to hear how often you pleasure yourself

Jaysus slowhandrow what age are you? You reply to every post but you've nothing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Jaysus slowhandrow what age are you? You reply to every post but you've nothing to say.

thats a good one :)

some right odd folk coming outta the wood work here. so you have a mobile phone. a means for people to communicate with you, be it your friends, family, potential clients, and in the small cases as a nice lass pointed out a obsessive ex. now in all fairness alot of people are on private for whatever reasons, my father is on private as in his job he is required to ring alot of clients to instuct them on yadda yadda, he doesnt want 50 phone calls after work when hes home about it so he doesnt give out his number, fair nuff. now lets say my dad heard that some one here on boards provided a service in which was needed by my father and in doing so would make mr. boardsie a nice packet.

the twits here wouldn't bother answering because it might be there ex or a prank caller(prank calls after the age of 12 are unheard of imo, and i'm an asshole so i'd be first in line for em).

i go through phases of avoiding calls, what i do is answer but stay silent so i can hear the person, if i dont wanna talk i leave it off the hook so it seems like my phone answered in my pocket. simple as

Why can't your da turn his phone off when he gets home?

Oh no, that'd be like telling someone what to do with their own phone, wouldn't it?

copacetic wrote:
    it fairness this was news to me. I was strutting along not answering private numbers thinking I was the man until I was put straight by safe..

:D:D

• Advertisement

delah wrote:
    Why can't your da turn his phone off when he gets home?

Oh no, that'd be like telling someone what to do with their own phone, wouldn't it?

he can turn of his phone but he doesn't as he would like for his friends and family to be able to contact him at all times, and thanks to him being ON PRIVATE he is albe to do so without the hassle of work related calls bothering him at late hours

Advertisement