Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love my Sega Saturn

Options
  • 18-01-2007 2:53am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Any other Sega Saturn fans around? It's my favourite retro console that I own.

I always wanted a Saturn over a PS1. That was until I played Resident Evil. However I always felt I was missing out not owning one. I used to read about all the excellent Capcom and Sega arcade conversions in the multiformat magazines and of course all those brilliant and wacky japanese imports that never got a western release. I'm a huge shmup fan so always wanted to play Radiant Silvergun. However it wasn't until I played the xboxes magnum opus, Panzer Dragoon Orta, (no, not Halo you videogame chav :p ), that I decided I really needed a Sega Saturn. I was so intrigued by the panzer dragoon universe that I just had to know what happened before Orta. I needed to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.

So rendered stupid by the money I was making during a summer job I went ahead and purchased a modified japanese V-Saturn withan action replay 4-in-1 (allowing you to play games from any region). I arrived a week later and I plugged it up for some radiant silvergun to find my stupid black diamond TV only displayed 60Hz in black and white. Anyway thats another story.

So I've been the proud owner of the Saturn for 2 and a half years now and I've never looked back. I've had absolutely no trouble at all with it. Unlike early PS1's with the plastic disc drives that would fail after a year (the ghost of which returned to haunt the cheap PS2 disc drives) the Sega Saturn is a well built and durable console. The only time I've heard of disc drives fail are from people with launch models that used them rigorously for over 10 years. There's also no messing about with those evil, corpoate exercises, memory cards, the saturn has it's own battery backed up memory (although the battery needs replacing every 2-3 years).

The Saturn is contains both technical genius and technical stupidity. First the genius. The battery backed up memory has already been mentioned but there is also the cartridge slot that could be used to expand the RAM of the saturn with an extra 1MB or 4MB. This made it possible for some faithful ports of Capcom and NEO GEO arcade games that were always better than the inferior PS1 ports. At the end of it's life the saturn received a modem plug in that allowed games like Sega Rally and Duke Nukem to be played online. The Saturn also had much more video ram than the PS1 and coupled with greater processing power it made the Saturn a 2D powerhouse compared to it's rival.

And now the madness. Despite having greater processing power and video ram than the PS1 Sega choose to do all the 3D routines through software while on the PS1 it was done through hardware acceleration which was much more effecient and was the way the industry was headed. Some people believe the second processor was added to the saturn as a desperate attempt to match the PS1 but the dual processor was just a natural progression from segas own arcade dual processor boards. However very few people outside Sega had experience with dual processors. It was also notoriously difficult to use both processors at the same time due to parallelism issues (which funnily enough are still cropping up today with multi-core processors of the xbox 360 and PS3). Many developers didn't fully utilise the dual processors and some only used one. Another big mistake was that the saturn built up 3D in quadrilaterals. Most development tools were based on the industry standard of triangles and Sega lost many developers due to this. It did however make the saturn a better 2D machine.

I think that the saturns flaws make it a far more interesting machine. In the same way that I was fascinated by teams like Treasure and their ability to pull off Mode 7 type effects on the lowly Megadrive, it's great seeing transparent polygons and coloured lighting on the saturn. Despite the 3D games just looking plain ugly compared to the PS1 there were games when the saturn did things that I haven't seen on any 32-bit console, such as the malleable world in Nights. The morphing effect in Panzer Dragoon Saga is still unique and just as stunning. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgDpPju8JQ

If you are thinking of getting a saturn, get a NTSC model. A PAL model will display all games in 50Hz with borders while a NTSC machine displays all games at 60Hz in fullscreen. The only problems with this are the Sega PAL games since a proper fullscreen conversion was carried out on these and some of the screen gets cut off.

Now on to the important part, the games. The Saturn isn't a machine for casual gamers. The saturns best games are all RPGs, or arcade shmups, racing games and beat'em ups. This does make the saturn a great console for pick up and play games. You will also need a console capable of playing japanese games to get the most out of it (action replay 4-in-1 is essential) since very few of the saturns best games made it to the west. There is a veritable treasure trove of classic japanese saturn games that most gamers will not have heard of before. Most arcade games will have menus in english or are easy to navigate in japanese anyway.

The saturn had many RPGs released for it but thanks to a stupid policy imposed by Sega of America the majority did not make it to western shores. Supposedly us westerners were not interested in japanese style games and RPGs, which went a long way to explain the financial failure of Final Fantasy VII in 1997 :rolleyes: . Thankfully the wonderful people at Working Design translated and released some choice examples of the genre such as Dragon Force and there are fan translations online of games such as Wachenrodder, Princess Crown and Shining Force eps 2 + 3.

So here's a list of some unmissable Sega Saturn games and a few oddities:

Panzer Dragoon Saga: Magnificent RPG. Excellent storyline, looks gorgeous (for a saturn game) and a soundtrack to die for. Currently at the number one spot in my best games ever.

Radiant Silvergun: A smidgen overrated but no less superb shmup from Treasure. Looks gorgeous and toughas nails, just like all the best in the genre.

Nights into Dreams: Totally unique and totally brilliant. An absolute joy to play. It's short but you will play it multiple times to beat your score.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei: Great on the rails shooter in the vain of Starfox.

Shining Force 3 eps 1-3: The last true shining force game. A must have for fans of Strategy RPGs.

Quake: The PC version is of course better but as a showcase of what the saturn could do when pushed it can't be beaten. Better than the N64 conversion.

Cho Aniki: Kyuukyoku Muteki Ginga Saikyou Otoko: If only to experience the gayest game ever.

Wachenrodder: Another great Strategy RPG.

Dragon Force: Supposedly amazing but without a manual I can't make out what the hell I'm meant to be doing.

Layer Section: Stunning shmup from Taito. Probably the best looking 2D game ever. All the Taito F3 board games are converted perfectly to the saturn and before the excellent Taito Legends compilations the saturn was the best way to play them. Bubble Symphony is also rather ace.

Soukyugurentai: Wonderful Shmup that is equal parts manic, bastard hard and stupidly brilliant. It's an STV board game and isn't emulated properly yet so just like radiant silvergun the best way is to enjoy the arcade perfect saturn conversion.

Sega Rally: The best way to play it outside a dodgy arcade circa 1995.

I've left loads of games out. Saturn games can be expensive but they are basically all abandonware now so get yourself a chipped saturn. There's a massive Saturn community on the intraweb. There are also some bargains to be found, I managed to pick up an unboxed panzer dragoon saga for 20 notes.

Sorry for waffling ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I also have a saturn and still play it sometimes. Myself and a friend got one when it was about a year old. Good console, shame it was so difficult to program games for it. I've played over half the games you listed. Virtua fighter 2 and the capcom beat'em ups were also very good. Sonic r was fun.
    What more can i say that you havn't covered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

The golden axe beat-em-up for it is really good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Still love my Saturn, that analog controller was so ahead of its time, much closer to the analog controllers of today than the N64 controller ever was.
    Love Burning Rangers, Nights, Sega Rally, Daytona, Virtua Racing and the Panzer Dragoon games.
    Also enjoyed Sonic R and Sonic Jam for my sins!
    Fighters Megamix was pretty nice to and I still enjoy the occasional blast of Quake, if you own this you have to buy DukeNukem and so play the greatest of all Saturn games, DEATHTANK!!!!!!
    Must power it up again, Virtua Cop and House of the Dead are long due a replay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lorax wrote:
    The golden axe beat-em-up for it is really good

I think it's a bad Samurai Showdown clone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never owned one but have been dying to play NIGHTS lately. Anyone know of any compilations with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope. Your only hope is to buy a saturn. You could play it through emulation but I'm not sure how good saturn emulation is at the moment. I gave up years ago on it because of how bad it was.

There aren't any compilations of saturn games because of how unique a concole it was. The dual processors and use of quadrilaterals makes it a very tough console to emulate. Any ports I've seen are just the PC versions that were made from the ground up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I have many fond memories of kicking ass in VF and playing NiGHTS. I also have a vague memory of playing a Space Hulk game but it could be just my imagination. It's such a same this console wasn't a massive commercial success but as you've mentioned it was a nightmare to develop games on. In case anyone was wondering Saturn emulation is quite good now if you can get hold of
    GiriGiri/Cassini (XP hack version) or Satourne is another good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I used to work in a tesco a few years ago, and we had a massive stock of real old computers in our loft. I managed to get a saturn still boxed and unopened with a rakeload of games for free! Had Virtua fighter kids, NiGHTS, daytona usa or something, and a few demo discs. To be honest i didnt really enjoy it and sold it about a year later!
    I also got a boxed, unopened, shrink wrapped SNES out of there too. And an amiga 600. And a boxed mega drive 2 haha..moral of the story: if you want retro, go to tescos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

0ubliette wrote:
    I used to work in a tesco a few years ago, and we had a massive stock of real old computers in our loft. I managed to get a saturn still boxed and unopened with a rakeload of games for free! Had Virtua fighter kids, NiGHTS, daytona usa or something, and a few demo discs. To be honest i didnt really enjoy it and sold it about a year later!
    I also got a boxed, unopened, shrink wrapped SNES out of there too. And an amiga 600. And a boxed mega drive 2 haha..moral of the story: if you want retro, go to tescos!

I think this post deserves a big "You lucky S.O.B!!" response! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Have a modified jap saturn. Put it up in the attic a few months back. Will take it down now though :)

Does anyone know if it is possible to play saturn games on a PC Monitor ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

had a saturn a good few years ago with loads of accessories and games and ended up selling it for half nothing, oh how young i was, now i've bought one off ebay and waiting for it to arrive, coming with 1 controller 1 game and 1 gun, love this console and still cant remember why i sold it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i loved it and still play it the odd time, i only had 2 games for it, theme park and sim city 2000 and only bought it to play those games in their full version as i had played the scaled down versions on the snes. does anyone remember that theme park on the snes had no game save!. i was talking to the bloke who owns gamezone in talbot street in dublin and he was saying they are going for between €150 & €200 now. i might buy another one as the controller is broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Man, I love my saturn, possibly my favourite console ever. It brings back so many memories of the mid to late 90's playing it in my friends nightly (I didnt own mine till i think it was early 2005)!!

Some of the simplest and most fun games ever, especially arcade ports and some absolute genius games!

I really would love to own the japanese white 'flash' saturn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

My brother used to own a Saturn but sold it off to pay for his Dreamcast. Its always been a big regret.

Anyway, I just ordered a Saturn off the net, fully modified with a 50/60hz switch, region switch and modchip. Can't wait til it arrives!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

My brother used to own a Saturn but sold it off to pay for his Dreamcast. Its always been a big regret.

Anyway, I just ordered a Saturn off the net, fully modified with a 50/60hz switch, region switch and modchip. Can't wait til it arrives!!

Were did you buy from? ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Still my fav console.
    It was like a golden age of gaming for me.

Panzer Saga, Nights, Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, Sega Rally etc are still fantastic games to this day.
    Still have every game I ever bought for it, and that's a lot since Game were doing 2 for £15 back in the day :)

My saturn has a bit of an issue with it's av connection so might pick another one up second hand if I spot any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

LoGiE wrote:
    Were did you buy from? ebay?

LoGiE, PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

have a saturn myself,love it,have some collectable games like street fighter zero 3,marvel super heroes,marvel super heroes vs xmen,king of fighters 95,cyberbots with its limited edition packageing,radiant silvergun,yes belive the hype radiant is defo brillant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Radiant silvergun please. In the hunt is alot better, but anyway i like the saturn aswell, for games like in the hunt, Kieo flying squadron 2, discworld 1 and 2 im not going to mention the blatently obvious stuff like capcom/snk stuff because that is all what anybody talks about when the saturn is mentioned.

*EDIT*
    And why was this ressurected its more then 1 1/2 years old.

cause i recently joined lol,you pay a pretty penny for radiant on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I really like House of the Dead on the Saturn, it wocks!

if anyone has a pal/uk copy of that game,hang on to it,it seems to command a fair amount on ebay,just because its rare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Love mine too!

Recently picked up virtual on for under a tenner. By the way if anyone has a copy of burning rangers for sale...

Also sonic jam, if only for the archive of japanese tv adverts. And the original sonic CD intro. Toot toot sonic warrior!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally & Panzer Dragoon!

sonic jam is intresting,must be the only sonic that hasnt made onto any other compilation,maybe cause the saturn was too hard to program,alot of reasons why some sat games didnt get ported over to modern consoles

Sonic mega collection and gems made it to ps2 et al?

The mini-game was fun though, appearanty a demo engine for a saturn sonic that never was

yes thats correct,all the sonic games,but the main thing "sonic world" hasnt been ported yet,indeed it was a test ground to see sonic work in 3d,sonic 3d blast was intresting aswell,the pc and ps2 ports are just the megadrive version,however the saturn version is slighty different,it has a f#!kin brillant bonus stage,have a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsED4AOAE68&feature=related

I forgot about that! Saturn is at home, was just on watching all the old videos on youtube. The japanese sonic 2 ad was our cult favourite - the sonnnniiiiiic funky actionnnnnn one!

edit - sorry that was sonic spinball

im a saturn and a retro gamer fan so please to meet all of ye lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fred83 wrote: »
    if anyone has a pal/uk copy of that game,hang on to it,it seems to command a fair amount on ebay,just because its rare

HotD? I just looked it up on Ebay. Ridicolous prices. Mostly from 'stores' - the rip off merchants of Ebay. The game goes from 15 dollars up to 125 dollars. It's stupid.

Advertisement