Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love my Sega Saturn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

I wouldn't emulate the saturn it would be sacralage. The only way to play a saturn is on a saturn.

im the same too,i sometimes i buy old machines and play them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The saturn is so different from any other machine that playing it on an emulator just wouldn't be the same. I'm really pedantic about my emulation. If it isn't 100% perfect I don't bother playing it. I remember when kgens was the best megadrive emulator. The music just seemed a little off to me and it totally put me off using it until gens came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the saturn can't do 3D,pffff.......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe9ASlu9Us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

What the hell is nights then if it can't do 3d :p I want to see the ps1 do nights, oh wait it isnt powerfull enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You obviously missed the sarcasm. The youtube link is to the saturn version of Shenmue which looking at it now looks absolutely amazing for a saturn game.

• Advertisement

oh sorry yeah i didn't look at the link i thought it would of been something like Clockwork nights or something along those lines. but yeah Shenmue on saturn does look better then anything the ps1 could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The Saturn did do hardware 3d acceleration didn't it?

The only thing they got horribly wrong was rendering geometry using quads/squares instead of triangles.

loved clockwork knight,saturn was ment to be very expensive to produce aswell

The Saturn did do hardware 3d acceleration didn't it?

The only thing they got horribly wrong was rendering geometry using quads/squares instead of triangles.

Nope, the main reason the PS1 kicked the Saturn's ass in 3D despite the lower specs was that it used hardware 3D acceleration. The Quad thing was another massive mistake, Sega used it because it was highly efficient in 2D work but worked in 3D as well. Sega never thought that 3D would take off the way it did and thought there would be a transition period were games would be mainly 2D, how wrong they were.

hey retro, how hard and expensive would it be to chip a saturn to play backups? theres a saturn on a shop window here in swansea, asking price is 20 pound, im quite tempted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I suggest you buy it at once!

might see if they can throw in a few games or something, its just the console, leads and a pad. chipping it sounds like the only viable way of getting games to me. i dont have much disposable money at hand these days.

Well I bought my saturn already chipped. These links should help you decide. Remember to get the 4 in 1 action replay as well, they are invaluable.

http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/
    http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/easy-install.htm
    http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/installation.htm

dunno, still need to do some research on the chip which i havent got round to yet. i talked to the shop's owners selling the saturn and i got the choice of virtua cop 2, street fighter alpha 2(bing!) or something else i cant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

My Saturn Light Gun isn't working properly!!! It won't shoot :/ !!!

make sure you are getting a mark 2 saturn,mark 2 saturn isnt hard to spot,it has round power and reset buttons and no window display for the cd,reason i had said that you better off to get a mark2 saturn is the chips sold these days suit the mark 2 saturn,yes can still buy the chip for the mark 2 saturn to fit your mark 1 saturn *that has oval buttons and cd window",however you would have to make wireing modifications to the chip for it to work,many websites show you how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I got my first Saturn in Oct95. For 4 years it gave me immense gaming pleasure however it always seemed that I wasn't quite getting the complete package. The Saturn as has been discussed was an amazing console with some incredible games but if you lived outside Japan it got no love from anybody except the Sega faithful

By the end of 1996 (In Ireland at least) the brief console war between the Saturn and the Playstation was over. To this day I have still only met 1 other person who owned a Saturn at that time. Now you might be thinking I'm down on the old black box but far from it. The only downside to owning a Saturn was that if you didn't have the cash(which I didn't as I was only 16) then only half the potenial of the machine was ever visable.

I rember reading the official Sega Saturn mag every month and it had a section about games from Japan that would never see the light of day in the europe. These games were fantastic looking. I remember reading about X-men VS Streetfighter/Radient Slivergun/Sega Rally Network Edition and thinking that games couldn't get much better. Sega Rally in my opinion was/is the best racing game of all time(although MSR was a close second) and to able to play real people online back in 96/97 would have been amazing. However I digress, I suppose one of the reasons for liking the Saturn was because it was unloved. I must admit I took pleasure informing/showing people the great games it had to offer.

If you think about it, the Xbox 360's success could in some way be attributed to the Sega Saturn's failure and being the happy owner of an Elite 360 I salute you Sega for giving us the best and worst console ever.

still have the saturn myself,get most my games from ebay,and maybe an odd one from playasia.com,they maybe be a bit dearer than ebay at times,but they never forget your custom,i recently received vouchers from them by email the other day,allowing me $12 off a game over $50,granted some people might think thats small but i think its the thaught that counts

When I think of consoles of previous generations generally one game normally stands out as the defining game of the console. It isn't necessarily the best game or biggest selling but just instantly stands out when you think of said console. E.g. For me N64 = Mario 64 but for others it's Godleneye or Zelda.

In the same vein what game do you think defines the Saturn? For me it's Sega Rally. Just like the Saturn's life span it was short but what it did it did superbly. Like the Saturn, Sega Rally is still beloved by a dedicated fanbase.

how is the saturn the worst console ever, the 3do does that without even having to look at the list of games that came out for it.

• Advertisement

By worse I mean't that the potenial it had was never truly fufilled by me. I didn't have the money to buy imports especially if they required the rom/ram carts. I remember pricing X-Men VS Streetfighter in 98. To get it imported with the 4mb ram cart to Ireland was over 100 quid and this was pre euro, with inflation etc that would be about 200 euro for the game.

I love the saturn, seeing the 3D Sonic part of Sonic Jam for the first time was awesome, playing as Hornet the car in Fighters Megamix was unparalled at that time and I still count the video for Enemy Zero as one of the best CGI segements ever.

well they did bring the rom cart with kof'95, but Interesting there was actually a pal version of xmen vs streetfighter sent out to a magazine for reviewing .

but even without the imports you still have
    alpha 1 better then ps1
    alpha 2 better then ps1
    street fighter collection better then ps1
    g-darius
    sega rally
    darius
    deep fear
    resident evil better then ps1 in most ways.
    decathalate/athelete kings
    virtua fighter 1,2,kids
    panzeer dragoon saga
    house of the dead
    kieo flying squadron
    nights
    guardian heroes
    in the hunt
    marvel super heroes
    xmen children of the atom.
    paradoius

so i mean even without importing you still have most of what is great about the saturn and this is alot shorter then it could be

I could add plenty more titles to that list but most of the games were released in the first 2.5 years of the Saturns life. Towards the end the release schedule dried up and you were lucky to get 1 game every 2 months, I got so tired of waiting for Deep Fear that I didn't bother getting it in the end. Also the Rom cart that came with King of Fighters 95 didn't work with VS Streetfighter games. Regardless of all the criticism the Saturn was my first gaming obession(the Arcade Wheel was the coolest designed wheel to date)

reason rom cart from kof 95 was ,it was an rom cart,read only memory,it was designed only for kof 95 since it had some char data,you would had needed a ram cart,action replay one *if you didnt want to chip your saturn to play imports*

Did any of you guys ever get the Photo CD disk to work or find a use for it?

I had a copy but remember that I didn't know how to work it(it may have just been me being stupid).

Now i remember seeing them now, the photo sampler, but what i thought was really cool was the VCD Player for Saturn, Damn the saturn was legendary, but I really do think people go on to much about imports on the saturn there are only a few very good games on the import market. but still the saturn had an amazing european life!.

I know the kof cart wont work with xmen vs streetfighter just like the 1mb cart wont work with the Xmen vs streetfighter. oh and if you have a 4mb cart and marvel super heroes beautiful stuff happen.

you can enable the 4mb on "cyberbots" game aswell,looks spectacular aswell,adds more animation

I do remember the VCD player but it never interested me that much. The Saturn was the first console that I got to play demo's on. The first being a 3rd party mag, the game was Crime Wave or Impact Racing.

• Advertisement

So who else is going to boot up Xmas nights on xmas day for some classic saturn gaming.?

Advertisement