Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love my Sega Saturn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

does anyone have the jap version of doom,very scarce indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

To be honest i wouldn't really see why anyone would really get doom on Japanese saturn its not really the cream of the crop to the japanese saturn collection, also its not really the most popular game in Japan especially when the saturn came out so i can understand why its scarce it shouldn't of been released in the first place in japan.

you can get it from amazon japan,only problem is they wont ship it over *thats a blessing you say lol

Well, there are ways around the non amazon shipping, you can probably get a company to buy it for you and then ship it to your address, or get a mate in japan to do it, but i can think of much better things to be getting from japan then Doom but whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    The first being a 3rd party mag, the game was Crime Wave or Impact Racing.

Never played it, but I seem to remember Impact Racing being developed in Ireland.
    Would that be right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Not a Saturn question but related. Sort of. If I bought a Sega Mega CD add-on for the Sega Mega-Drive II, would it have to be the Sega Mega CD II to be compatiable with that machine? I seem to remeber their being two types you could sit ontop of or beside your Mega-Drive.

They are all interchangeable!

mdI/mcdI
    md1/mcd2
    md2/mc1
    md2/mcd2

And enjoy, Man some great games to be had on the megacd! and just the coolness of md1/mcd equals work of art.

basically the Megadrive 1 and megaCD are like this total awesomeness
    800px-Sega-Mega-CD-with-Mega-Drive_on_top.jpg
    Megadrive 1 with megacd 2
    megacd2-withmd1.jpg
    mega/cd 2
    Mega_Drive_II_(PAL)_%2B_Mega-CD_II_(PAL)_%2B_32X_(PAL).jpg
    and megacd 1 with megadrive 2 ( they are both asian but it doesnt matter)megacd1-md2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Can you believe my brother used to own the Sega Mega CDx, the really compact one? I have no idea what happened to it :/ I am probably going to have to go to Ebay for another one. I got my hands on Final Fight CD recently and I am dying to try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,690 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

From what I've read, you're better off going with a Mega cd2. Less chance of a flip up lid breaking over one of those trays that has to eject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I here's a picture of my Megadrive+MegaCD thingy, it's nice.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg

But re Saturns, I have a Pal one and it works via scart, what other options do I have, as in, can I get an ordinary set of composite or RGB cables for it?
    It would fit into my gaming setup alot better.

Anyone have a spare set of cables they'd trade for the Scart?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RGB scart and svideo are the best connections you can get. playasia still sell them. Well worth the upgrade, high res 2D looks gorgeous in RGB scart.

RichyX wrote: »
    Never played it, but I seem to remember Impact Racing being developed in Ireland.
    Would that be right?

i have ultimate mortal kombat 3 for the saturn,says on the cd itself,the cd was made in ireland *rare thing these days

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Can you believe my brother used to own the Sega Mega CDx, the really compact one? I have no idea what happened to it :/ I am probably going to have to go to Ebay for another one. I got my hands on Final Fight CD recently and I am dying to try it out!

Final fight on the Mega cd is excellent,get batman returns aswell,sonic cd,snatcher,shining force cd,mega cd had aload of quality games,oh always check out youtube for gameplay videos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Yeah I think Impact Racing was developed by an Irish Company called Funcom. Also I think there was a CD Pressing Plant in Ireland somewhere that's why a lot of discs had made in Ireland on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of Saturn CDs were pressed in Ireland. I bought a load of saturn games unboxed off a guy who used to work in the pressing plant, thats where he got them he told me.

bought panzer dragoon saga from ebay other day,paided €120,that includes the postage,consider that not too bad since its known to go for way higher amounts,i know you can emulate and play these things on your p.c but nothing beats having and admireing it in your collection

Nice one usually goes for twice that. I got mine for 20 euros :) unboxed however.

mines kinda like that too,missing the outer box,what intresting aswell from the photo i saw its a european copy

It amazes me that Sega haven't released Panzer Dragoon Saga on another format. They must be aware of it's popularity. A lot of Sega franchises have died on their ass on new platforms because the market was full or the transistion to 3d didn't work(Sonic). The RPG market though hasn't changed much in ten years and is begging for an epic like Saga.

I'll never forgive Sega for releasing Nights on the Wii and killing off the franchise. How was Nights ever gonna succeed on a platform that's played by young kids and old people who've never heard of the orginal. Now if they had put it on the 360 or PS3 with updated graphics then it might have stood a chance.

according to wikipedia at time,reason panzer dragoon wasnt ported to other platforms is that the source code is lost,surely they could just play the game again and get an idea so they could start from scratch?

happy to say too i recently acquired an pal copy of dragon force :D

• Advertisement

ss_06c.jpg

I brought my Sega Saturn(White) with me from Japan when I moved to Ireland. :D I don't play it that often any more... but it's one of my favorite consoles of all time. :)

It amazes me that Sega haven't released Panzer Dragoon Saga on another format. They must be aware of it's popularity. A lot of Sega franchises have died on their ass on new platforms because the market was full or the transistion to 3d didn't work(Sonic). The RPG market though hasn't changed much in ten years and is begging for an epic like Saga.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is so far ahead of it's time that RPGs really haven't caught up to it in many ways and other than the graphics it hasn't aged at all and it still a fresh and unique experience. Sega could easily just release the same game with updated graphics and it would still be a new experience that is far better than any of the recent crop of RPGs. Even for the few people that did play it before I'm sure they would buy it again. I don't think there is one person that has played Panzer Dragoon Sag to the end and not become totally enamoured by the game and PD universe.
    Fred83 wrote: »
    according to wikipedia at time,reason panzer dragoon wasnt ported to other platforms is that the source code is lost,surely they could just play the game again and get an idea so they could start from scratch?

The problem there is that without source code you have to start from scratch or reverse engineer the whole game from scratch. The only other option is to use the original game data and play it with an emulator. Due to the nature of the saturn hardware building a saturn emulator is extremely difficult and wouldn't really be viable for Sega for just one game.

I find that quote from wikipeda hard to believe. Sega at the time was the probably one of the top ten game publishers in the world and unless there was fire or flood I can't see it happening. Sega were far too professional to lose the source code of one of the higest profile games of the Saturn.

I find that quote from wikipeda hard to believe. Sega at the time was the probably one of the top ten game publishers in the world and unless there was fire or flood I can't see it happening. Sega were far too professional to lose the source code of one of the higest profile games of the Saturn.

You'd be surprised then to realise how often it happens. Remember the Megaman collection of GB games that was coming out on the DS? Well it was cancelled because Capcom had lost the source code to all the games. Also ever wondered why all the 8-bit home conversions of Bubble Bobble were so damn good? Because they had to be programmed from scratch because Taito lost the source code. It happens all the time even in the biggest software developers.

do you think policenauts translation will ever see light of day?,i know its been translated at mo,dying to play the game do

2008 was a geat year for games but very few new IPs had high sales(Mirrors Edge being the prime example). It seems that we want familar games or old games HD'd. This led me to thinking that the Sega Saturn catalog has a host of great games begging for a 2009 makeover. Although the logistics of any of these games ever being made would be imense it could still be done. So instead of Sega releasing yet another Megadrive collection to sell Sonic 1,2 and 3 maybe the following would be better.

It's completely obvious to everybody but Sega Japan that Sonic as a 3d platformer doesn't work. So why not remake the last 3d Sonic game that worked 100% - Sonic R. Don't touch the graphics except for giving them a little pollish and make it work online. Put it on XBLA/PSN for 800 points and you'd have an instant smash hit.

The buzz word for Xmas 2008 was Online Co-op. What better game for Co-op than Burning Rangers. Imagine a brand new game with 4 player Co-op. It would like Gears of War 2 only better as it wouldn't be so dull(colour-wise)

Fighting games have hit their peak, you only have to look at how rubbish the last Mortal Kombat was to see that. Now I know your saying to yourself "But Street Fighter 4 is coming" yes it is and it'll be great but will the majority of people really want to pay €60+ for a fighting game, I very much doubt it. Now old fighters on XBLA/PSN sell very well. Put Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighting Vipers on XBLA/PSN with online for a relatively cheap price and watch it then become king of the online brawlers.

Now I've mentioned Nights on this tread before so i'll just say this, Put the Wii version on the true next gen consoles with graphics befitting said consoles and advertise the hell of it.

Outrun has been announced for XBLA/PSN for later this year but i think Sega picked the wrong racing game. They should have brought Daytona back with 20-30 players online. It would be awesome.

I've got plenty more ideas if anybody wants to hear them.

2008 was a geat year for games but very few new IPs had high sales(Mirrors Edge being the prime example). It seems that we want familar games or old games HD'd. This led me to thinking that the Sega Saturn catalog has a host of great games begging for a 2009 makeover. Although the logistics of any of these games ever being made would be imense it could still be done. So instead of Sega releasing yet another Megadrive collection to sell Sonic 1,2 and 3 maybe the following would be better.

It's completely obvious to everybody but Sega Japan that Sonic as a 3d platformer doesn't work. So why not remake the last 3d Sonic game that worked 100% - Sonic R. Don't touch the graphics except for giving them a little pollish and make it work online. Put it on XBLA/PSN for 800 points and you'd have an instant smash hit.

The buzz word for Xmas 2008 was Online Co-op. What better game for Co-op than Burning Rangers. Imagine a brand new game with 4 player Co-op. It would like Gears of War 2 only better as it wouldn't be so dull(colour-wise)

Fighting games have hit their peak, you only have to look at how rubbish the last Mortal Kombat was to see that. Now I know your saying to yourself "But Street Fighter 4 is coming" yes it is and it'll be great but will the majority of people really want to pay €60+ for a fighting game, I very much doubt it. Now old fighters on XBLA/PSN sell very well. Put Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighting Vipers on XBLA/PSN with online for a relatively cheap price and watch it then become king of the online brawlers.

Now I've mentioned Nights on this tread before so i'll just say this, Put the Wii version on the true next gen consoles with graphics befitting said consoles and advertise the hell of it.

Outrun has been announced for XBLA/PSN for later this year but i think Sega picked the wrong racing game. They should have brought Daytona back with 20-30 players online. It would be awesome.

I've got plenty more ideas if anybody wants to hear them.

Put Virtua Fighter 2 or Fighting Vipers on XBLA/PSN with online for a relatively cheap price and watch it then become king of the online brawlers. Well why have virtua fighter 2 when 5 runs rings about it.

Fighting games have hit their peak, you only have to look at how rubbish the last Mortal Kombat was to see that. But mortal kombat has always been crap.
    Sonic R was terrible and why not just rerelease Sonic the fighters, which was a much better game then sonic R

It wouldn't sell well, the saturn version would still be better!.

Outrun has had a much more succseful run then daytona has, Daytona nowaday wouldhave to much fearce competion, in this day and age! and outrun is just a fantastic game! always has been from the mastersystem to psp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

It's completely obvious to everybody but Sega Japan that Sonic as a 3d platformer doesn't work. So why not remake the last 3d Sonic game that worked 100% - Sonic R.

I've always felt Sonic Adventure was the only Sonic game to work in 3D.

Sonic R wasn't a huge amount of fun imo. Nice graphics, but a bit too much like hard work.
    They tried to go back to the racing theme with Sonic Riders, and look how that turned out!

Well, Sonic R was made by Travellers tales, and Sonic riders was made by Sega!, so i mean different company!. but Sonic hasn't been good since 1991. :D

• Advertisement

personally i didnt think the 3d sega ages version of outrun on ps2 wasnt bad at all,i loved outrun 2,only problem about saturn games is that saturn itself was a complex machine to program/develop for,so it was much easier to port the megadrive ports to pc/playstation,one example that springs to mind for me would be sonic 3d blast,the one on the ps2/pc compilations is the megadrive port,it was developed for the saturn at time too,looked nearly same with bit more detail, but had an excellent bonus level,check it out on youtube if you have never seen it.

Advertisement