Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane NTL speeds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

A friend of mine just called me. He was told about 2 months ago that NTL wouldn't be available in his area (citywest, right by the red cow). He got a letter saying it is. Problem is he just got BT installed. I didn't ask him if it mentioned all of Dublin but his area is mainly his complex and SDS so if they'll update that they must be doing alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

LeperKing wrote:
    Has anyone else seen flyers like the ones CyberGhost describes?
    No, but I rang them up in November and they said I might have bb in "Jan/Feb", and that was without asking which road I live on. I'd say end of December was a target for them at one stage but it has slipped. But only a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Just rang NTL about broadband for Clondalkin, and the second quarter of next year was the time given to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I asked them about my area the other day (Deans Grange, down Pottery Road) and they had no idea. Said I'm on a bit of one way cable. However someone is digging up Pottery Road with a cable sized trench at the moment, so I live in hope!! They said they'd note down on my account that I'm interested in BB but I dont expect to see it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

BigMoose wrote:
    I asked them about my area the other day (Deans Grange, down Pottery Road) and they had no idea. Said I'm on a bit of one way cable. However someone is digging up Pottery Road with a cable sized trench at the moment, so I live in hope!! They said they'd note down on my account that I'm interested in BB but I dont expect to see it any time soon.

Don't give up buddy, if the area beside you is enabled that you will soon ! once they relay the cables ect !! One way switch are POOH as the DLs are fine but you get no UL's :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

scary wrote:
    Just rang NTL about broadband for Clondalkin, and the second quarter of next year was the time given to me.

You seem to have got a few steps further than me there. Whenever I call asking about Clondalkin (Hazelwood) I get told "sometime in the future"... so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

scary wrote:

Did they give a specific location in Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

I'm in cherrywood park, just gave my address and thats what the guy told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Hrmmmm.... I'm up by loughlinstown hospital and I was told I can get it, it's ordered and all. Could they have been wrong ? They laid the cables here about 10 years ago, no work has been done on them since. We were never able to get it until recently.

Please god let it have just been a case of flipping a switch at the exchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

LeperKing wrote:
    Has anyone else seen flyers like the ones CyberGhost describes?

It's too bad I didn't keep it :(

I'm not making it up guys, I really got it, just threw the damn thing away.
    scary wrote:

THAT BLOWS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    It's too bad I didn't keep it :(

I'm not making it up guys, I really got it, just threw the damn thing away.

THAT BLOWS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

give em a call again ! maybe an error on behalf of the telesale guy! they dont post flyers in an area unless thier service is there!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

They never did flyers in my area, just a little bit written on the side of the bill. Only noticed it while rooting thru a pile of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

mart_max wrote:
    sexy ntl...

modem states dload stream of 10240000 bps

but dload tests only went to mostly 550-650kpbs...

half the capacity...

but still... sexy....

ONLY 550 kbps I despise all of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Im on parliament St and they tell me i cant get connected :mad:

Shougeki wrote:

yup tend to be housing/apt estates with Coax cable !

Shougeki wrote:

Parliament st in Temple Bar? I'm just off Parliament St. and I have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I hate NTL users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i only read the first few posts

is ntl 10mb now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

BigMoose wrote:

I am just off the phone to them after seeing one of the posters mention he was in Cabinteely. I am near there just off the Cloonkeen road. I was told that they have just spent a stack of cash upgrading and I should be able to get connected March / April.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭micosavo

power cycled my modem...no joy...

here's a hopin' and a waitin'

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Clondalkin should have it! im only down the belgard road from newlands cross and i've had NTL years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

bk wrote:
    However, note, NTL:Ireland is no longer part of NTL (soon to be Virgin), it is now owned by Liberty Global, who also own Chorus and will be soon merging the two companies and renaming them UPC Ireland. So you can't look at the UK anymore, we won't necessarily get the same speeds or prices as the UK anymore.

However there are strong rumours that UPC will be giving us 10m in January anyway.

this is a cause for concern, there is no guarantee that UPC will have the commitment to faster speeds that NTL did. cant help feeling that this upgrade to 10mb will be the last we see of NTL as we know it

okcomputer wrote:
    this is a cause for concern, there is no guarantee that UPC will have the commitment to faster speeds that NTL did. cant help feeling that this upgrade to 10mb will be the last we see of NTL as we know it

Not really. UPC didn't buy NTL so they could let it rot. They see market potential and know they will have to compete. Remember, when a company buys another one, they don't replace all the staff, just the most senior. I would imagine all the NTL product managers will be the same people.

it will happen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

okcomputer wrote:

If you look at what UPC offers in other coutries across Europe, you will see that they seem to be a very progressive company who offer some of the best speeds in each country, including 24mb/s BB is some countries.

Liberty have clearly stated that they are all about offering best of class triple play services. They rightfully see a lot of value in this sort of market.

bk wrote:
    If you look at what UPC offers in other coutries across Europe, you will see that they seem to be a very progressive company who offer some of the best speeds in each country, including 24mb/s BB is some countries.

Liberty have clearly stated that they are all about offering best of class triple play services. They rightfully see a lot of value in this sort of market.

yup 24mb in France and 20mb in Holland ! there seems to be three reasonable packages in most countries and 1 extreeme! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭micosavo

24mb???? Drool....

Dare we Dare to Dream?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

bk wrote:

if what you say is true, I stand happily corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i just rang them and they said that bb wont be available in my area(botanic rd, glasnevin) till feb. i'll just have to stick with eircom for another few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know this is a bit of topic but ,i hope you can help me out.does anyone know when the new price for NTL broadband will come into effect?

Also if i sign up now for the 3mb line and pay €45 untill the new price plan comes in will i be switched to the new price plan seeing as i have already signed a years contract of will i be swichted to the new price plan?

Advertisement