Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

tribe2md.gif
    tribe2md.gif

REIC has anyone seen REIC ??????????tribe2md.gif

REIC found in the Ballybunion Forum !:D

I have uploaded lots of more pages in the Ballybunion Forum. Please view.
    First snowflakes this morning in Rhinebeck. New York at 10:17 AM.

kerryhistory00169ou.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

First snowflakes this morning in Rhinebeck. New York at 10:17 AM.

Radio Kerry had snowflakes falling on their homepage last night, but they're gone now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Gee, ye guys are far more knowledgable than me about Listowel/Ballybunion. I was supposed to go to Listowel tomorrow for the weekend but it's put off until early December. I must make a list of things to photograph!

kerryhistory00013jy.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with Ballybunion or Listowel, but, what a map. Note the ship

• Advertisement

reic wrote:
    Gee, ye guys are far more knowledgable than me about Listowel/Ballybunion. I was supposed to go to Listowel tomorrow for the weekend but it's put off until early December. I must make a list of things to photograph!

reic, you seem to go to Listowel fairly regularly. Is it a long drive for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

About an hour and a half SS. No big deal. The person I stay with has recently moved out of Listowel to a few miles in the middle of nowhere so my next trip will be different! And probably quieter.

tralee9vh.jpg

Hope you have your sound on for this.

viewcard.asp?code=RB27676890

Scroll to the end of the message !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Hope you have your sound on for this.

viewcard.asp?code=RB27676890

Scroll to the end of the message !:D
    Thank you so much. Absolutely loved your ecard.
    I have taken lots of photos during this fine spell in lovely Listowel. i have uploaded them to ofoto so if anyone wants to see them just drop me an email and I'll share them with you. There are far too many to upload here. Thanks again, Sandhill Road.

• Advertisement

Cherry Tree,
    Thanks for the photos. Really enjoy the 'backway'views.
    I will return to the photos and walk downtown.
    Looks like you had a good day to photograph.

p10101118ja.jpg.

Attached photo is of ALBI ( a couple of days in Toulouse and then on to Albi). I think this is from the Lautrec Museum.On second viewing it is from across the river Tarn (?)
    Thanks again.

_________Looking for CHAINREACTION !______________

image00113io3ve.gif

Where ever you are ,thank you for this forum.
    It has now passed the 2000 views mark.

SANDHILLROAD

Good morning and thank you for the laugh.

I got the pics, Cherry Tree. Thank you.

Listowel is quieter than I remember. :D What time of day did you take the pics? Was it during the week or on a weekend?

I got the pics, Cherry Tree. Thank you.

Listowel is quieter than I remember. :D What time of day did you take the pics? Was it during the week or on a weekend?
    I took the pictures yesterday and the previous Sunday. This is the only time I find I can take the shops without too much traffic and parked cars spoiling the view. I went to 10.00 mass and took the photos on the way there and back. Not so many massgoers any more!

Albi-lovely place. I haven't been but my son has and praises it.

Not so many massgoers any more!

:eek:

We used to go to 11:00 AM Mass at St. John's in Ballybunion. Some days we couldn't get inside the church. Loudspeakers on top of the outside of the church let some of the old men stand outside the stores across the street and listen to the Mass.

One damp Sunday we stayed in the car, rolled down the windows, and "went to church" like that. :D

Like in Listowel when all the men stood at the back of the Church, so they could rush out to the pubs when Mass was over !

unsavedproject1004x512listowel.jpg

Where are you now !!

We would like hearing from you.
    Cherry Tree or anyone else viewing this:if any of your relations or friends are in this photo please tell them.We would love to hear from them and see any photos they could provide. Thank you.

Price list from days gone by.

unsavedproject413x8403lj.jpg

Location of store I can't remember . Was it in William St ?

• Advertisement

"Sliced pan"! I forgot about that. A loaf of bread is called a pan. :D

vocab1.htmSliced pan.
    Pain is the French for bread.Little did we know.
    Tile loaf
    Farleys Rusks,
    rolo
    aero (!)
    Slab Toffee !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cadburys Flake
    etc;
    etc;
    etc;
    Time to head to McClean Avenue for supplies.
    Have a bro in Yonkers.
    What a taste in Scully's of Listowel rashers ! As we are on the subject of food:
    On Fridays we always ate fish. My mother had a homemade milk and onion sauce thickened with something.We would pour it over the fish and the spuds, Yummy ! Does anyone know the receipe ?
    We would mix butter and milk with the mashed potatoes on our plate we called it "pandy".

Pandy; potatoes mashed up with milk and butter. (Munster.)
    ( http://www.chapters.eiretek.org/books/Joycenglish/vocab3.htm )

Lots of reading here!

In a shady nook one moonlight night,
    A leprachaun I spied;
    With scarlet cap and coat of green;
    A cruiskeen by his side.
    'Twas tick tack tick, his hammer went,
    Upon a weeny shoe;
    And I laughed to think of a purse of gold:
    But the fairy was laughing too.

With tip-toe step and beating heart,
    Quite softly I drew nigh:
    There was mischief in his merry face;-
    A twinkle in his eye.
    He hammered and sang with tiny voice,
    And drank his mountain dew:
    And I laughed to think he was caught at last:-

As quick as thought I seized the elf;
    'Your fairy purse!' I cried;
    'The purse!' he said - 'tis in her hand -
    'That lady at your side!'
    I turned to look: the elf was off!
    Then what was I to do?
    O, I laughed to think what a fool I'd been;
    And the fairy was laughing too.

I remember getting not ice cream but iced ... milk was it called? And they stuck a flake bar in it. The machine was outside Crowley's in Listowel.

It's the circle of life! Irish style.

vocab1.htmSliced pan.
    Tile loaf
    Farleys Rusks,
    rolo
    aero (!)
    Cadburys Flake
    etc;
    etc;
    etc;
    Time to head to McClean Avenue for supplies.
    Have a bro in Yonkers.
    What a taste in Scully's of Listowel rashers ! As we are on the subject of food:
    On Fridays we always ate fish. My mother had a homemade milk and onion sauce thickened with something.We would pour it over the fish and the spuds, Yummy ! Does anyone know the receipe ?
    We would mix butter and milk with the mashed potatoes on our plate we called it "pandy".

Pandy; potatoes mashed up with milk and butter. (Munster.)
    ( http://www.chapters.eiretek.org/books/Joycenglish/vocab3.htm )

Lots of reading here!

In a shady nook one moonlight night,
    A leprachaun I spied;
    With scarlet cap and coat of green;
    A cruiskeen by his side.
    'Twas tick tack tick, his hammer went,
    Upon a weeny shoe;
    And I laughed to think of a purse of gold:

With tip-toe step and beating heart,
    Quite softly I drew nigh:
    There was mischief in his merry face;-
    A twinkle in his eye.
    He hammered and sang with tiny voice,
    And drank his mountain dew:
    And I laughed to think he was caught at last:-

As quick as thought I seized the elf;
    'Your fairy purse!' I cried;
    'The purse!' he said - 'tis in her hand -
    'That lady at your side!'
    I turned to look: the elf was off!
    Then what was I to do?
    O, I laughed to think what a fool I'd been;
    And the fairy was laughing too.

The thickening agent was cornflour.
    Do you remember meat pies. These were a local delicacy at race time. they consisted of a pastry and mutton pie submerged in a watery gravy. YUGH!!!

Price list from days gone by.

unsavedproject413x8403lj.jpg

Location of store I can't remember . Was it in William St ?

O'Sullivan's super valu traded at two different locations before closing down.
    Firstly it was in William St. where Paddy Power bookmakers trades now. I think the premises is owned by Ned O'sullivan. Then it moved to Market St. to a place that used to be owned by Moloney's Garage and is now Spar supermarket.

quoted by Cherry Tree:

Do you remember meat pies. These were a local delicacy at race time. they consisted of a pastry and mutton pie submerged in a watery gravy. YUGH!!!

when we had the store in Listowel, my mother hand made lots of them every race week. We submerged OURS in cream of aspargus. That I remember well. Delicioso !

You probably ate yours at you-know-whos on that street that crosses the other street. You know the one.
    They ( or rather herself) were known for watering down their meat pie stock.What went into them was another question ,asked by a few of her neighbours. Her local butcher was known to say she never purchased a piece of mutton from him in all his lifetime.
    I blame her husband and herself , for she cooked them ,and he sold them ( he knew all about it ).
    But it came back to them one very busy Race day when she scorched her apron, jumped aside and knocked the whole pot of simmering pies off the range. No money was made that day I can tell you!
    But every Race Week it was always the same , watery meat pies ,except for the scorched apron .

Was it Eileen Sw's husband that opened that store in the old Moloney's Garage ?
    Thanks for the receipt re the fish sauce.

quoted by Cherry Tree:

when we had the store in Listowel, my mother hand made lots of them every race week. We submerged OURS in cream of aspargus. That I remember well. Delicioso !

You probably ate yours at you-know-whos on that street that crosses the other street. You know the one.
    They ( or rather herself) were known for watering down their meat pie stock.What went into them was another question ,asked by a few of her neighbours. Her local butcher was known to say she never purchased a piece of mutton from him in all his lifetime.
    I blame her husband and herself for she cooked them ,and he sold them ( he knew all about it ).
    But it came back to them one Race day when she burned her apron, jumped aside and knocked the whole pot of simmering pies off the range. No money was made that day ! But every Race Week it was always the same watery meat pies ,except for the burnt apron .

Was it Eileen Sw's husband that opened that store in the old Moloney's Garage ?
    Thanks for the receipt re the fish sauce.
    Asparagus; How posh!!
    I actually never ate a meat pie. The sight of them was enough for me. It was the man you mentioned who opened the Spar shop but it has since changed hands.

Sliced pan.
    Tile loaf
    Farleys Rusks,
    rolo
    aero (!)
    Cadburys Flake.

Fry bars
    Crunch(?) bars made my teeth stick together
    Choc-Ice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The reason I would like to see an up to date picture of THAT side of the street from the opposite side is because I lived there. I have happy memories of looking out the sitting room window and gawking across the street at the Maid of Erin.

Was in Listowel today at Mckennas hardware and took these pictures as I passed - is that the place you mean.:)

A24.jpg
    A23.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks ALFASUDSCRAZY. The perfect photo . I can see the house in the 2nd photo.
    Looking at the car in the photo it looks strange with the steering wheel on the opposite side from us here. Is he wearing his seat belt ? I am very strict on that.
    What are your laws in regarding cell phones while driving? We have one, but it is not enforced- I see it abused all the time ,as my store is in the center of town at the traffic lights.
    Looks like you had better weather than us. Here today ( Tuesday ) was rain, windy and cold. Tonight maybe snow.
    I do appreciate the photo and thanks again.You are probably like me with the digital camera, always on my person.
    I am due for a visit to both Listowel and Ballyb within the next 2 years ( last time was in 1999). I hope you made good friends in Ballyb among the locals.

Advertisement