Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

REIC, you were a brave soul. Short pants. Brrrrrrrrr.:eek:

reic wrote:
    BTW, the front cover of "The Holly Bough", a once every year Cork publication, has a picture of me on it!! Taken in 1965 skating on the Lough. That's me in the front, posing, lol.

hb05.jpg
    ____________________________________-
    See Holly Bough is published by the Evening Echo.
    I remember in Tralee when the newsboys were around town selling the Evening Echo. It sounded like they were shouting EVENING ECH- U - OOOOOOOOOOO.

To see The Maid of Erin, you woild ahve to look up. It is in Main Street (aka Small Square) in what used to be called Mortimor GALVIN's--best ice cream cone back in the 50s /60s.
    Now has new owner for the past couple of years.
    Maid was our first lesson in female anatomy !!
    Curly Connors Pub
    Miss Dowlings newsagents in Main Street
    Murrys Shop with religous articles for sale
    Mike the pies
    Jet Stack
    Bunny Dalton Band
    Leahy's Clothing store in Market Street
    MaryBs Hotel
    Miss. Scanlon -our first teacher
    Mrs. Crowley -our second teacher.
    Bryan MacMahon
    Frank Sheehy
    Scoil Realta na Maidne
    St Michaels (Fr.Long)
    PRINCE MONOLULU ?????????
    We need those memories of Listowel so talk with Mam,Dad, Grand Ma and Grandad, Aunt and Uncle.

See their memories in print, 'cause when you and I are old you wish you had asked them to tell about their younger days.
    Ask them to rake their brains and let us know why it is called " LOVELY LISTOWEL"
    SHOW THEM THIS FORUM.
    Thanks a million.

Write ! write!

Hi SandHillRoad,

I noticed from one of your earlier threads that you mentioned Frank Sheehy. Is this Frank Sheehy the teacher and GAA man you are referring to? If it is, could you let me know any information/stories/anecdotes etc. that you may have on him as I am currently starting some family research. Frank Sheehy was my paternal grandfather and, whilst I never had the pleasure of knowing him due to his dying before my arrival, my family has quite a number of photos, stories etc. that I would ideally like to add to. My own father died about 15 years ago so I'm doing my best at the moment to keep and get as much information together as possible.

Sadly I have only been to Listowel twice: once for the opening of the Frank Sheehy football park (when I was about 16) and the second for the fleadh cheoil (I was too drunk to remember that much about the place!).

Look forward to hearing from you or others that may be able to help.

Hope some can help here .

Reply to AWAYYABLAGGARD ( see earlier post/thread number 32 on Page 2 of this forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Some pics from my weekend in the Listowel area:

The castle!

list5.jpg

The river in full swell, and muddy. The bridge going to the racecourse:

list4.jpg

Taken outside McKenna's early Saturday evening. The Christmas lights reflected off the parked cars. The red building is the Jasmine Court Chinese restaurant which is over the Racecourse bar:

list1.jpg

I can never remember if this is William Street or Church Street. The one with John B's pub, seen here just left of middle. Lousy pic but I had to lean the camera on an ESB box!

list3.jpg

Looking the other way. Mermaid's pub/night club:

list2.jpg

• Advertisement

Scully's Corner & Church Street

3229994703050bg2qs.jpg

Olive Stack's Art Gallery -take note SS.

1340994703050alb3mx.jpg

Carroll's The Square

1746494703050bg6de.jpg
    REIC,
    thanks for the photos. Wonderful one of the racecourse bridge and the reflected lights outside McKennas.
    Do you know what the locals call the Three Mermaids ? Keep it to yourself !
    John Bs is on William Street.

I am attaching other Listowel Christmas lights photos with thanks to CT.

Thanks to both CT and Reic for 'keeping us closer to Lovely Listowel'

p1010005605x8080hq.jpg

p1010015810x6073ss.jpg

p1010015810x6053dj.jpg

p1010008810x6071kx.jpg

p1010006605x8089vl.jpg

Photos of Christmas Lights 2005 in Rhinebeck USA

You've got snow! Nice wan.

Ok, you'll have to tell me what the Three Mermaids is called locally. I know a girl who works in the nighclub and need a reason to take the p**s out of her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Pictures! I love pictures!!

I really like the one of the river .... :confused: ... I don't know why, but I do.

I should take note of Oliver Stack's? Why? How come? Huh? I know the answer is somewhere back in the thread, but boards.ie is loading really, really, reallyslowly for me today.

Sandhill, are those pictures of your shop?

This has nothing to do with Listowel, but since Christmas lights are on your minds, turn on your speakers and click the link:

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/1033/Best_Christmas_Lights_Display_Ever

• Advertisement

reic wrote:
    You've got snow! Nice wan.

Ok, you'll have to tell me what the Three Mermaids is called locally. I know a girl who works in the nighclub and need a reason to take the p**s out of her!
    Reic, check your mail box.

Pictures! I love pictures!!

I really like the one of the river .... :confused: ... I don't know why, but I do.

I should take note of Oliver Stack's? Why? How come? Huh? I know the answer is somewhere back in the thread, but boards.ie is loading really, really, reallyslowly for me today.

Sandhill, are those pictures of your shop?
    Olive Stack is the woman who painted your water color of William Street, with John B's Pub in it.
    This photo ( compliments of CT ) is her gallery in Main Street Listowel

The store with the double windows , green garlands and red bows is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Beautiful lights. What is that on the table outside your store, Sandhill? Just curious.

Nice shop SHR. Very cozy looking. He's a picture that you may or may not recognise! The view from the newly built bungalow that I was staying in for the weekend at Trierneragh, not a lot to see beyond the builder's rubble!!:

Trierneragh.jpg

Olive Stack is the woman who painted your water color of William Street, with John B's Pub in it.

No kidding? I was just thinking of trying my hand at sketching that myself. Every so often I get the urge to teach myself to draw, and the urge has been on me for a couple weeks now. I'm toying with the idea of sketching familiar things and focusing just on basic three-dimensional shapes: cubes, blocks, spheres, cones, cylinders, etc.

If I can just shake this procrastination habit of mine.:o

reic wrote:
    not a lot to see beyond the builder's rubble!!:

Trierneragh.jpg

Not a lot to see, but several of us would dearly like to be able to see it in person. :)

reic wrote:
    Nice shop SHR. Very cozy looking. He's a picture that you may or may not recognise! The view from the newly built bungalow that I was staying in for the weekend at Trierneragh, not a lot to see beyond the builder's rubble!!:

Trierneragh.jpg
    _______________________________________--
    Thanks for your comment REIC,
    Ok it's a house set back from the road with an nice hedge grow, Beautiful views across the road and are they cows I see in yonder field? The electric is in? Gate is hung and gravel driveway.When is the house warming ???

rhinebeckmap5qt.gif
    Beautiful lights. What is that on the table outside your store, Sandhill? Just curious.

See : www.wilderstein.org

The table is metal so it can stay out up to Christmas. Chairs are plastic .
    Then Wilderstein is closed for the Winter.

The village website is :
    www.rhinebeckchamber.org

This has nothing to do with Listowel, but since Christmas lights are on your minds, turn on your speakers and click the link:

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/1033/Best_Christmas_Lights_Display_Ever

SS : I checked out the site and this is the next door neighbours reaction to the whole thing.

attd9dy.gif

Very sad day for Listowel with the news of the death of the football "great" Tim Kennelly at the very young age of 51. My sympathies to Nuala, Noel, Tadhg and Joanne. The town and particularly Listowel Emmets is the poorer for his passing. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement

timkennelly6td.jpg

Very sad day for Listowel with the news of the death of the football "great" Tim Kennelly at the very young age of 51. My sympathies to Nuala, Noel, Tadhg and Joanne. The town and particularly Listowel Emmets is the poorer for his passing. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Cherry Tree:A very sad day it is. I got a call from Manhattan.May he Rest in Peace.

GAA world shocked by Kennelly death

06/12/2005 - 22:37:28

The GAA world is in mourning after the death of legendary former Kerry footballer Tim Kennelly was confirmed this evening.

The 51-year-old father of three, a well-known and well-liked farmer and publican in the locality, passed away earlier this afternoon at his home in Listowel.

Kennelly won five All-Ireland SFC medals with Kerry, including one as captain in 1979, in a glittering career. Man-of-the-match in the 1980 decider against Roscommon, the Listowel Emmets clubman won All-Star awards for his centre back displays in both 1979 and 1980.

Kennelly captained Munster to win the Railway Cup in 1982 and, after his playing career ended, he became a Kerry selector. He also enjoyed a successful club career, winning a North Kerry championship with his beloved Listowel Emmets in 1976 and two county championship medals with Feale Rangers in 1978 and ’80.

His sons Noel and Tadhg have helped keep the Kennelly name on the sporting pages in recent years - Noel, the elder, won an All-Ireland with the Kerry seniors in 2000 while Tadhg, at 24, made history last September by becoming the first Irishman to win an Aussie Rules Grand final, helping the Sydney Swans to beat the West Coast Eagles.

Both Tim and his wife Nuala were present at the Melbourne Cricket Ground to witness the event.

GAA President Sean Kelly, a fellow Kerryman, admitted to be “shocked” and “saddened” on hearing the news of Tim Kennelly's death.

Kelly said: “Tim had legendary status in Kerry GAA circles.

“He was amongst the best defenders the county ever had, a man who excelled in a team that included some of the greatest players of all time.”

Sean Walsh, the Chairman of the Kerry GAA County Board, said: “I am deeply saddened and shocked at the sudden and untimely death this afternoon of Tim Kennelly. On the field he was a colossus, off the field he was hugely popular with everyone.

“While the people of Kerry will have extreme difficulty coming to terms with the sad news of Tim’s death, our thoughts and prayers are at this time with his wife, Nuala, sons Noel and Tadhg, daughter Joanne, his mother, brothers and sisters.”

One person in this photo has joined this forum, why don't you.
    unsavedproject1004x512listowel.jpg

Where are you now?
    Anyone viewing this:if any of your relations or friends are in this photo please tell them.We would love to hear from them and see any photos they could provide. Thank you.
    This forum has over 2,286 views!

CherryTree, REIC do you know where this is ?

29341350yxvosomkmiph2yn.jpg

Somewhere near Luachra Road would be my guess. smiley8.gif

Probably not what you meant, huh? smiley_devilsmile.gif

Doesn't ring any bells with me..

CherryTree, REIC do you know where this is ?

29341350yxvosomkmiph2yn.jpg

This estate is in Clieveragh on the right on the road to Bedford. It's a small estate of less than 20 houses and I have some good friends living there.

The Sydney Morning Herald

tadgh81205wideweb470x30009ec.jpg

December 8, 2005

SYDNEY'S premiership-winning backman Tadhg Kennelly flew out from Sydney last night bound for his family's home in Listowel, Ireland, after the sudden death of his father Tim.

Tim Kennelly, a 51-year-old father of three, a farmer and publican, died on Tuesday afternoon at his home in Listowel. The cause of death has not been released but Tim had a heart condition.

Tadhg had returned to Listowel to spend time with his family soon after the Swans' title celebrations subsided. During his time back in Ireland, the people of the tiny home town even organised a ticker-tape street parade to celebrate Tadhg's becoming the first Irishman to win an AFL premiership.

While his son's popularity in Sydney has reached cult status, Tim Kennelly was a gaelic football legend in Ireland.

He won five All-Ireland winners' medals with County Kerry between 1975 and 1981, including one as captain in 1979. He was also man-of-the-match in the 1980 All-Ireland final against Roscommon. Kennelly also received All-Star awards for his centre-back displays in 1979 and 1980.

Kennelly captained Munster to win the Railway Cup in 1982 and became a Kerry selector after his playing career ended.

Kennelly also had a successful club career with the Listowel Emmets, winning a North Kerry championship in 1976 and two county championship medals with Feale Rangers in 1978 and 1980.

Tadhg's brother Noel also plays for County Kerry and won an All-Ireland title in 2000.

Tributes began flowing immediately the news broke in Ireland.

"Tim Kennelly had legendary status in Kerry GAA [Gaelic Athletic Association] circles," GAA president Sean Kelly said. "He was amongst the best defenders the county ever had, a man who excelled in a team that included some of the greatest players of all time."

Kerry GAA county board chairman Sean Walsh told Ireland Online: "I am deeply saddened and shocked at the sudden and untimely death this afternoon of Tim Kennelly. On the field he was a colossus, off the field he was hugely popular with everyone.

"While the people of Kerry will have extreme difficulty coming to terms with the sad news of Tim's death, our thoughts and prayers are at this time with his wife Nuala, sons Noel and Tadhg, daughter Joanne, his mother, brothers and sisters."

Tim, Nuala, and Noel were in Melbourne on the last Saturday in September to watch the Swans win the grand final. It was naturally a proud moment for all of them, with Tim calling it a fairytale, and revealing how his wife didn't want Tadhg to come to Australia to try Australian rules.

"What can we say? It's just a fairytale," Tim Kennelly told the Herald in the Swans' dressing room after the win. "I've witnessed grand finals at home, having played in them, but this is just unreal. Tension? There was fierce tension. I have a bit of a heart condition, and I can tell you one thing it [the heart] must be a very, very good one to get through that and still be ticking. It was just beautiful, it's a dream come true for us.

"We're delighted and very proud of Tadhg. He's a very-level-headed one. He came over here six years ago and we thought at the time he was facing a mighty test. His mum didn't want to let him go, but after a while we had to give in to him.

"He has worked so hard, the coaches have told me. He'd be there an hour before training and stay on an hour after it just to pick up things that he had to learn. I'm very proud of him."

beer0mc.gif

Listowel Forum has over 3000 views :

Up the BORO !
    Up the GLEANN!
    UP the ASHES!

c011.gif

Well done, Listowel!

• Advertisement

Hope you have your sound on for this.