Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭This is it

I bought a push model last year and it's great, I've a small enough front and back. Without asking for any advice my mother went and bought a self propelled model a few weeks ago and now wants me to swap because it's far too heavy. Told me it nearly took off up a tree one day -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I ordered it on the 2nd of may, it was delivered on the bank holiday Monday 6th which I was delighted with. Mower delivered assembled ready for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭deezell

It's a strange fact that when operating a selfpropelled mower (usually by pulling up or pressing down the drive lever on the handles) many operators will not let go of the handle or release the drive lever if the mower runs away, down a bank, into a ditch, snagged on a shub or branch and turned into the undergrowth. They will hang on, often ending up in the ditch or shrubs. It's counter intuitive to let go, and releasing the drive only happens when you do. The self drive can be quite strong, and will drag a light person into the abyss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Went for one of these in the end. Got it from stakelums for 500 delivered but it may have been the last one.

Did almost the full very overgrown 1/3 acre on a single tank, immensely powerful, the self drive did indeed drag me along. Only ran the highest setting as there's a lot of drying out still required. Starts first time as well. Plastic deck vs 2 year warranty on a Honda won out for me.

Yikes, don't call it plastic! The Husqvarna people will send an angry Viking after you! Seriously though, it's made from very durable composite material, a long way from melted water bottles. Durable, light and rust free. I was very impressed by the simple elegant minimalist construction of this mower, and the visible quality of wheels, handles,cables etc. I would have bought one in 2018, but an electric start was put on the list by the other half, who was struggling with the ageing Stiga we had. The resultant Cobra purchase definitely was not built of quality parts, B&S engine and alloy deck aside. The wheels and axles too weak for the weight of the mower, the cables of poor quality, and Ironically, the electric start is the biggest problem, it exhibits intermittent stalls during cranking due to too many push fit connections in the wiring loom. She's looking for a pull start now, and I know what I'm buying next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭secman

I mowed the lawn today, and after doing so

I sat down and had a cold beer.

The day was really quite beautiful, and the drink facilitated some deep thinking.

My wife walked by and asked me what I was doing,

and I said, "Nothing."

The reason I said "nothing" instead of saying "just thinking" is because she then would have asked, "About what?"

At that point I would have had to explain that men are deep thinkers about various topics, which would lead to other questions.

Finally I pondered an age old question: Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the nuts?

Women always maintain that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts, but how could they know?

Well, after another beer, and some more heavy deductive thinking, I have come up with an answer to that question.

Getting kicked in the nuts is more painful than having a baby, and even though I obviously couldn't really know, here is the reason for my conclusion:

A year or so after giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."

But you never hear a guy say, "You know, I think I would like another kick in the nuts."

I rest my case.

Time for another beer. Then maybe a nap.

Happy Gardening

I get that completely. It's immensely satisfying to complete a man task, and post task, pondering the meaning of life, the universe, and everything only happens in the male mind suitably stimulated by cold beer and warm sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭bronkobilly

same mower as the woodies pro lawn one just different colour

• Advertisement

Some people pay good money for that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Anybody any suggestions for best ride on mulcher mower. 1acre site so stroring grass clippings is becoming a pain. Anybody any experience of this

There was an error displaying this embed. https://www.youtube.com/embed/nyK3827-uGs?controls=1&enablejsapi=1&modestbranding=1&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fmonaghanhire.com&playsinline=1&rel=0 There was an error displaying this embed. Husqvarna R214TC Front Deck Rider Mower with 94cm Deck

MONAGHAN HIRE

Price:Sale price€4.499,00Quantity:Add to cart

Description

Powerful Rider with twin-cylinder engine and 94 cm Combi cutting deck, offering first-class BioClip® and rear ejection cutting. Suitable for home- and landowners who require extra high efficiency, ease of use, superior manoeuvrability and a truly enjoyable ride. The articulated steering system and front-mounted cutting deck means intuitive operation, excellent mowing accessibility and great overview of your working area. Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission, easy-access controls and automatic blade engagement, makes mowing a pleasure. The cutting deck is easily tilted up into service position for easy cleaning after mowing. This Rider can do so much more than cutting your lawn. Thanks to attachments such as snow blade, trailer, moss rake and spreader, it can maintain your garden all year round.

New Model Husqvarna Twin Cylinder Engine.

Husqvarna R 214TC

Features

• Three-blade cutting deck
    • Service position
    • Comfortable driver’s position
    • Versatile usage
    • External fuel cap
    • Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission
    • Easy-access controls
    • Automatic blade engagement
    • Easy-access cutting height lever
    • Combi cutting deck with BioClip® (mulching)
    • Four large wheels
    • Engine behind driver
    • Adjustable pitch angle
    • Easy access
    • Transparent fuel tank
    • Pivoting rear axle
    • Storage compartment
    • Bottle holder

Combi cutting deck with BioClip® (mulching)

BioClip® (mulching) provides perhaps the best cutting result on the market on frequently cut areas. The grass is cut into fine pieces that quickly turn into fertiliser.

Versatile usage

A wede range of cutting decks and accessories makes our Riders exceptionally versatile, all year round.

Service position

Service position on the cutting deck facilitates cleaning and service.

Turn key start

Easy to get operating under any wetather conditions. No choking needed, just turn the key and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I’d say you’ll want something that can also collect the grass on occasions, for times when you can’t get out or after winter etc. handy to have that option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Father has ride on with bag. What we have been using. Just wondering what people think is best mulcher ride on.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cathy427

N/a

Post edited by cathy427 on

It's solid but there are probably still a couple of fit and finish issues which could be down to stakelums repackaging it before shipping. The main drive handle was not in its socket, and evidence of scraping the paint where it had come out. One of the hubcaps was off and didn't feel particularly ready to get back in.

Oddest part is that there's an enormous gap at the top of the deck showing the motor housing. That's aluminium but still doesn't make a lot of sense to me when it would be cleaner to have the whole thing covered.

It's actually better open, the downdraft from the top fan and cover keeps it cooled and clear. If it was covered debris and leaves would collect inside, out of sight and blocking the airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Hi, complete novice here but can anyone share any insights on the robot / push lawnmower coming into Lidl this week? They seem extremely cheap, maybe too good to be true.

Only to say that yer wan in the photo is a midget, to make the little mower look huge.

• Advertisement

Any views on which of these is best to go for?

Ist and 3rd max cutting height is 75 mm. It doesn't say for 2nd.

1st and 3rd also self propelled - don't know if better with push (ie 2nd one) for around trees awkward bits.

Would the screwfix one last as long as others?

(Hada cheap one before and the wheels bowed out on it (forcing them back seem to only damage plastic body) so want to avoid such issues )

Any views/feedback welcome.

With any, you have decent real store warranty. The Co-Op one is an 18" self propelled, the Screwfix a smaller 16". Either can be maneuvered like a push mower, you just let go of the drive bar lever. The 18" push Legacy will keep you fit in a decent sized rural garden, but a good choice for a suburban one. There's a 10% discount on your first co-op purchase when you sign up, the offer page intermittently pops up when you open the web page, though it can not appear if you dismiss it. That would make the Webb €270, pretty good value for an established brand, and sold by a reliable retailer.

Thanks for that deezell - much appreciated.

Ya got the code. Seems to be for online only. Then its 15 delivery so 295 delivered which seems ok. (Even for click and collect I am out the sticks so cheaper pay the 15 delivery)

Might go for that one.

Just went to buy it and the shipping is actually €25

Post edited by cathy427 on

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

Castelgarden TCR102 Hydro 2005

Today my mower kept cutting out while I was mowing. High pitched whistle (like the basket full noise, but continuous), mower stalls, whistle fades over about 5 seconds (stops immediately when ignition is turned off, but if I turn it back on within the 5 seconds it continues its fade). I can then restart the mower.

Grass was a bit wet and I thought there may be some connection as it seemed to be happening whenever the deck got clogged up (though its never happened before), but once or twice it happened immediately after I had cleared the deck & chute, so I think that ruled that theory out.

Mostly happened when blades were engaged, but did happen at least once when I was driving without blades on.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Mad as it sounds, if the mower is equipped with its own charging for the battery, (some aren't, but TC102 should be), a loose live connection from the battery while running can cause strange effects as the control board struggles with the random voltage. First check though that it is charging, that battery voltage is higher than off. Should be over 13v when the engine is fast idling.

I remember this effect on my old Castelgarden many years ago, also a TC102 of 1998 vintage, probably suntantially the sameelectrics. Clean and tighten battery terminals, and check negative to the chassis also. Sometimes board, solenoid, and other bits have their negatives all connected to a common ground point, if this gets compromised, all sorts of strange effects occur. I also had something similar when the rectifier failed (turns AC from the pick up coils to DC), battery would get low during mowing and alarms would sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks

Battery is 13v when engine is off, 14.25V when idling, so I guess the confirms it is charging

Tightened batter terminal connections (though they were fairly tight anyway), buzzed with multimeter between negative terminal and chassis under engine (after I scraped off all the muck), and ensured all connectors into the PCB were pushed home. Anything else to check?

Next time I mow I'll see if the issue is gone - if it isn't then should I look at replacing the PCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Have a Honda Izy HRG466 for a couple of years

Really disappointed with it, failed to start last summer, got it repaired and it worked fine for the rest of the season, failed to start again this weekend.

Is it normal for these to need servicing every single year? I have a very small lawn and a year's use for me is probably a couple of months for most people….

Its a possibility, there's one post here going back a bit from someone with similar issues, I remember looking up the wiring diagrams and they were next to useless for the TC102. One thing I remember on my own was what looked like a random wire going to chassis on the engine, a spade connector. It seemed to be a common ground for the various interlocks, if it got loose and popped off, you could dismount and the blade would still run, or remove the bag and the same. The buzzer/beeper is also associated with leaving the ignition on, say you dismount and the engine cuts because the blade is engaged in a manual clutch machine. The ignition is still on, and will sound the beeper after a time. You could try checking the continuity of all interlocks back to the board, fairly tedious. A shop will probably just try a new board and if it works, that's the cure. A crack on the print, a loose connection or a dry solder joint all possibilities. So much vibration, 19 years worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I have a Viking mower, when I tried to start it the other day it was not sounding great, I tried it once for a few secs. Got off it, checked oil etc and everything ok. The motor was doing the zuzzhh zuzzhhh to start. Sorry not sure how to describe.

Tried again and after a few second, it started, was running fine. Cutting and everything. Turned it off and back on, no issues

Today tried again and not a kick out of it, I turn the key and a click but nothing. It was serviced last year but would be due a service, doesn't do huge cutting but I normally got it serviced every year. IT's maybe 6 years old and bought new.

Just wondering what might be the issue? dont have a trailer to bring to garage

• Advertisement

The sounds you describe, sound like the starter motor pinion gear failing to engage with the engine ring gear. The pinion could be sticking (it pops up to engage with the ring gear as result of the spinning motion of the motor). The pinion gear may be damaged and stripped, or there may be a poor 12v connection from the battery to the solenoid, or from the solenoid to the motor. A quick test is to use car jump lead from battery positive straight to the starter 12v in terminal, a thickish cable held by a nut on a terminal post. If this turns the engine over, but the key doesn't, you have a connection problem. The clicking sound is very like a sticky solenoid, which is failing to close the heavy amperage contact from battery to starter motor. If you have clear view of the solenoid 12v battery in and out contacts, check that these are tight, and give all the connections on the solenoid a firm wiggle in case they have got tarnished or corroded slightly.

Advertisement