Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thanks. I suspect I'll just have to bite the bullet on price. Mind you the previous owner kept it all trim with a tiny bosch jobbie from what I can tell, so maybe I just need to be less lazy, keep it trimmed so the reeds don't get too big in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭deezell

Maybe hire a modest mower and see how much work it is, that’ll give you an idea how long it takes. My first house was half acre site less the house, driveways shrubbery pond and patio, maybe ¼ acre or 1000m² of awkward shapes of grass. Took about half an hour with a 51cm petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Anybody have any smart ideas on disposing of grass from big lawn, getting unsightly just piling in corner rotting away.

If you have sufficient hedging or shrubs, you can spread it at the base. Mulching is good if you have the right mower, mow frequently and cut a little higher, but thats not always possible with our weather. If you have a dedicated compost heap covered with a plastic sheet, you can add some of it in there and fork it through. I've a lot of tree cover with plenty of humus, leaves and twig mulch at their base, where I dump it, and some time later I will level it out and fork it through. This seems to rapidly absorb it. You need some informal areas for a proper biocycle, a large lawn surrounded by formal walls or fencing is unnatural, and thus creates the grass issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Hi, I bought a new tractor mower last November. I just happened to be talking to a Husqvarna dealer and the price I was offered for my own was better than I thought.

Anyways I had the new mower delivered and took it out today for the first time. I noticed the collecting bag wasn’t closing unless I got down every time and lifted it a bit to stop it catching on the safety switch mounted to the back plate. I also noticed the year of manufacture was 2022.

Will need to contact the dealer on Tuesday but do you think he should’ve said it was a 2022 model he was selling me. No mention of it at the time of sale and no hours on the clock when I bought it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Depends? If its still the current model then maybe not. Now if there is a newer model I'd have expected a bit of a discount but not much. A lot of stock is taken on in the Autumn for sale the following spring - it used to be dealers took the stock but didn't have to pay for it until the spring. So a mower would often be at least 6 months old when you buy it. Add a summer to that as you bought in November you could easily end up with a mower thats a year old.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Built in 2022 for sale in the 2023 season, but you'll often get a good deal in showroom stock towards the end of the year.

The bag hinge hooks can usually be adjusted to seat the bag rim exactly on the rear face of the mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks for the recommendation I just bought the Webb model.

After you've used it a bit, let us all know what you think of it, it helps to have user input on a particular brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Anybody ever have much success with mulcher, have big lawn and the grass clippings are becoming an issue, some say dig a hole or get robot. Any mulchers out there which leave v light layer of grass on top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

If you go down the mulching route, you will have to cut more frequently if you just want a light layer, also keep in mind if you have kids or animals tracking grass into the house also

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

@deezell From your comment above i think i recall you saying that you have a Cobra MX515SPBI??

I also have one and last mowing season i had numerous issues getting it to start, sometimes it works, then it doesn't, then it does !! Is there something i need to get specially looked at on it if i bring to get serviced? Is there anything i can do to get it starting all the time? What are the spade connectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kissy_Lips

My Honda Izy is doing a great job mulching. Wouldn't even know the lawn had been cut.

A spade connector is a flat electrical pin connector, found on automotive parts like relays, microswitch, ignition and starter switches etc. The common size is ¼" wide, and about ½" long. The wires to these are crimped into a matching flat receptacle which pushes onto the flat pin. These are fairly reliable, but if the cable is not properly stripped when inserted and crimped into the spade, all sorts of poor connections can occur. This is compounded on the Cobras by the use of crimped round pin enclosed connectors which can end up with very poor contact inside the plastic enclosing shell. The battery holder, interlock microswitch, starter switch and starter motor are connected by a loom of spade terminated wires with a number of intervening 2 and three round pin junctions. I'm constantly getting click-click failed starts, where the starter ground from the start button should close the relay built into the battery, but the current surge as the motor draws power seems to diminish the starter ground and the relay let's go. Sometimes it's light clicks, sometimes the starter motor engages and the mower engines makes a feeble rotation of a few degrees. I end up pulling and twisting the wires while herself holds down the interlock lever and presse the starter button. The right twist and off it goes. I think all the spade connectors and the round pin ones were manufactured using a connector that pierced the cable to the conductor as it was crimped, notoriously suspect if carrying high current surges. I'm going to make up a complete new loom, rather than stripping and crimping very stiff cable which might easily be fractured internally. Maddening I know, a botched design from the start (or no start as the case may be).

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

@deezell When you say " I end up pulling and twisting the wires", which ones in particular or do you go around them all? I'll experiment with my own mower...

That's the maddening thing, I can never Identify which of of the three from the battery, or which end, as it's so intermittent. Where the three go into a round pin coupler, I scrapped that, pulled the pins/sockets out of the plastic and pushed them together, discovering that they were ridiculously loose fitting, but hidden inside the square plastic receptacles. I soldered all three sets if pins together, cable a bit too short to cut off the connectors, but after a year of click free starting it returned. I have to assume the connection from the pins crimp to the wire conductor is rubbish, or the conducter is compromised close to the pin.

This started when the machine was brand new, the seller even sent me a new battery to try (which I kept), but eventually rang to say the spades pins on the interlock microswitch had been spraypainted black with the engine block, so the wired push on connectors were trying to conduct through a scratch in the paint. Sanding these solved it for two years, then it came back.

No surprise that the main sellers here dropped the brand, a lot of the small but important parts are very much cheap patterns mower quality. I replaced the clutch cable twice in one year, it was of such poor quality, speed cable the same. I eventually brought them to a bowden cable maker in Baldonnel who rethreaded them with quality wire. Wheel bearings the same, they just fell apart, I sourced some alternatives after a lot of searching. It's on its last season, herself is rightly sick of waving at me while I'm on the tractor. No start, no drive, wobbly wheel. It's a shame. The aluminium deck and decent electric start engine are let down by cheap fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Any recommendations for a self drive lawn mower for roughly 200m2 of grass? Something decent that will last for years. Have been looking at a Honda petrol lawn mower but open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Interested in this too, have a robot mower but I think I'll need to rent something to get ahead this year, garden's like a bog and grass is ridiculous.

This

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mountfield-sp185-46cm-139cc-self-propelled-rotary-petrol-lawn-mower/868RJ?tc=CI9&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZmwBhD8ARIsAH4v1gUEdOrwcplZNQX6R-Ym7VzxrszsvUrW_NrdDCIAxD8UzgP_NiLkfm4aAskoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or this,

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/products/webb-classic-self-propelled-petrol-lawnmower-141cc-46cm-18-1776942

Or this

https://www.tirlanfarmlife.com/shop/product/STIGA-Collector-48SB-Petrol-Lawnmower/9126982

Won't break the bank. 45cm/28" more than big enough cut for small area or supplementing a robot. Buy a Honda if you want also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Afternoon folks.

The self-propelled function on the FloraBest mower I got when we first moved into the house (circa. 13 years ago) has packed up. The mower owes us nothing at this stage, and I'm thinking of using it as a reason to change.

She has a 50cm blade, with a 190cc Briggs & Stratton 675 series engine. She's been nothing but reliable over the years…think I've only serviced her once!

Anyways, has anyone come across anything similar for not outlandish money?

I came across this Pro Lawn one in Woodies for €600. There's 10% off for a first online order, which brings it down to €540.

I appreciate Pro Lawn is some sort of generic, own brand make. But surely a 202cc Honda engine with a 56cm blade won't be had for less?

Or am I better off getting a smaller, branded unit for the same money. Something like this…

Post edited by Soarer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Can't advise on the mower but I'm pretty sure though that the 10% discount cannot be applied to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2011elm

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice for a new mower to replace my 20+ year old machine which has finally bitten the dust.

I have approx 1600 m2 of lawn and I like to keep the front part in reasonable condition and the back under control!

I'm thinking of a walk behind mower with a 51/53cm cut width, Briggs Stratton or Honda engine, good size bag, good cut height option for longer grass.

I'm happy to buy online or from a dealer close to Galway.

Some possible options (I can't post links as a new boards user):

Honda IZY HRN536 VYE 21" Self Drive Lawnmower
    Toro 21750 Self Propelled Lawnmower
    Castelgarden XS 55HV
    Castelgarden XC53 HS Power Drive
    Webb Pro WEPROB530SP Self Propelled 4 Wheel Petrol

Another option is WEIBANG (e.g. WB537SLCV3IN1 or WB537SLC 3IN1). I've never heard of these and they come with Loncin engines. A local dealer offers a 5 year warranty on these. Are they worth considering?

Can anyone offer opinions or advice?

Post edited by 2011elm on

That's some epic lurking. Been a member for over 11 years and only just posting now? Fair play.

As for your list of mowers, there's a huge variance in price, with some being literally twice the price as the others.

I posted just above yours with a similar query. Along with the list you made yourself, maybe have a look at the Honda engined one I linked to. Might be a good bet for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Recommend a robot lawnmowe? C.1 acre, fairly flat garden. The ride on has given up, so time to decide what to do. We are surrounded by pine trees, so branches and debris a possible issue. Is there such a thing that can work away with the odd small twig getting in the way, or do those robots still need pristine lawns to begin with?

i'd appreciate any feedback at all.

Weibang are industrial strength no nonsense construction, the opposite end of the scale to the Woodies own brand pro lawn, (not to be confused with the Topline retailed Proplus, which are a notch above in the quality stakes). the only thing going for that pro lawn it is it's Chinese made Honda engine and whopping big cut of 56cm, but expect frustration in the future looking for parts.

Webb are similar pattern construction mower, but with a bit more pedigree and backup, and are very good value for money in the Coop stores.

Castelgarden/Stiga mowers are well engineered and well supported with parts and dealers. Solid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

I have a weibang 537 shaft driven mower it's a fine machine, loncin engine arguably better than Briggs I would say, never an ounce of trouble with it in 3 yrs of heavy use, all parts available off shelf from my local dealer if needed and if anything it's cuts high grass better than my ride on mower ever did, yes it takes a bit longer but only needs cutting few times a year so works out better for me, I would definitely recommend it only thing is it's a heavy machine if you ever going to be lifting it in/out if your car etc you will need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Last year I bought a cheap 10x10 tarp at local hardware, put it under where i dump cuttings, and threaded the ends through a rope so it can close, like a parcel, after each dump of cuttings. When I opened it at the start of the season, all the cuttings had broken down into a nice muddy mulch, ideal to use in flower beds or at the base of hedging.

I have 1/4 acre of lawn, and a normal cut would require 3 dumps from the ride on mower, so I had quite a bit of grass cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gillamandango

hey all,

think I have my replacement mower down to two, links below. Would appreciate opinions.

I can also get one of those Weibangs for €475 but 18”

https://mower.ie/product/weibang-wb455sc-3in1-18-domestic-walk-behind-lawnmower-steel-deck

€400 https://www.harrymowers.co.uk/products/lawnmower-lmg53shl-c

€475 https://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product/castelgarden-lawnmower-xc53s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Rideon stihl/viking 6112 turns over some times it. has a flashing seat icon error... When I don't sit on seat , seat icon is solid ,when I sit it flashes error.. I tested the seat sensor and wiring itappears to work OK when isolated..

Considering failing to turn over and cutting out immediately I think there might be loose earthing on seat connection, or maybe control board connector

Advertisement