Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Will take a punt on your advice m8. Thanks

When you are spending 3K a 10% off code is very welcome, so went for glory. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Any opinions on this cheap Lidl lawnmower for €149?

https://www.lidl.ie/p/petrol-lawnmower/p10021643

I am in 2 minds about whether to go for a cordless mower but have no idea about them at all.

I have some DeWalt tools but their mowers are expensive enough.

You can get some cheap Bosch's and Flymos in woodies, but they don't look too powerful or sturdy.

By the way, I have approx 150sqm to cut so not large.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Absolutely fine. I have one I cut a huge area with. I tend to abuse one for a three years then replace it. Was out yesterday cutting back the verge and using it to smash down a load of brambles and blackthorn. Current version I have a B&S engine but there's not a lot between the chinese B&S's like mine and the no name chinese engines. With care I'd expect far more than 3 years out of it probably 6 or more if you can keep the deck from rusting out.

Edit> Just had a closer look and the new Lidl one is a cut down version of their previous models but still worth the €150 and should last if looked after.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is it worth spending a little bit extra for a decent cordless one?

There are loads of brands out there, and they offer a few different type each.
    I don't need a huge expensive one, just something reliable that can cut the grass if its wet.

Bonus points if I can pair the power pack with a Leaf Blower and Trimmer.

Ryobi appears decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭deezell

It's all about the quality of the power pack. The world is littered with cordless power tools with useless, failed and unobtainable battery packs. Ryobi and others use a common pack. I have a single Ryobi tool, an impact wrench for quick removal of nuts, screws and wheel studs on cars, machines, wood structures, even removing stubborn wall screws tightened into concrete wall plugs. I've yet to charge the battery, though I've used it steadily but occasionally for over a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

how ya folks. broke the side grass chute on this machine https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

anyone know where i'd get spares?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cathy427

Looks ok.

The 65 mm (2.55 inch) max cutting height might be a bit low for first cut or two of season.

In terms of cheaper ones - I got an "NPK" one from topline hardware good few yrs ago for around €140 and still going grand. It has a metal body and the front wheels have bowed out so need to see can I do any kind of a fix (ideas welcome) but other than that no regrets buying the cheap one (I just use it for side/awkward bits, ie its not the main mower)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Back again after some delay.

Working out the power, the Milwaukee is 860w. This https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/lawn-mowers/lc353ivx/ is supposedly the same power (possibly 40w more) but is €690 in Clarkes. Any use? Or am I missing something in the power calculation?

Supposedly the Hsq will only do 1,000 sqm though as opposed to 2,000. Since I've got ~1400 to cut that's a problem.

Just a couple of things. The power of the Mikwaukee you refer to is the capacity of its batteries 36v x 12ah by two units would supply 864 watt hours, or 0.864 kwh. This is not the Motor power consumption, which is measured in Watts, or Kw. Note also the indivual batteries are 18v, and the spec is for 2, so the battery capacity is 36v by 12 AH, or 432 wh. There is no figure given for the power consumption and maximum power output of the Milwaukee motor, it could be anywhere between 600w to 1500w. The latter (equal to 2 hp) would drain both batteries in 15 minutes if you worked it that hard.

The Husky states its motor max consumption is 900w, 0.9 Kw, about 1.2hp, but this figure would be only under full load. It can take two batteries, of 36v by 4ah, giving it a capacity of ⅔ of the Milwaukee, at 288 wh. To compare them the Husky should be priced with 3 batteries. The Husky is supplied bare, so the total price is €690, + 3 by €159 batteries + €102 for the charger. Total of €1269 to the Milwaukee €1599. Realistically you can't insert just one charged battery when two are flat, if they're wired in series, so you need 4, which brings the outlay to €1428. It may be that the Husky can run on a single battery at 36V though.

The Husky max powered speed is lower at 4.5 kph than the Milwaukee at 6 kph, which would allow you to rip through 2000m² in 40 minutes assuming a light dry cut. The Milwaukee has a much higher max cut height of 10cm to the Husky's 6.5, so is better equipped for overgrowth and wet. The Husky does have the composite deck in its favour. If it can run on a single battery, though this might stress the battery under load, it does give the option of charging one while cutting with the other. It's probably not advised to run it with one, even if its possible. The Milwaukee requires two at all times, as it also runs at 36v, but from two 18v batteries

• Advertisement

Makes sense, thank you. Nowhere seems to give power output for electric mowers, irritatingly.

Probably as not to draw attention to the limited range if you were to subject the motors to the max load. The 900w max of the Husqvarna is only 1.2 hp, it wouldn't even tax a the petrol engine on a 53cm mower, but 900w will drain the Husqvarna's batteries in 20 minutes.

So definitely back to the petrol mowers then.

I wouldn't go that far, but its a bit like electric cars, don't talk about the range. Remember, the motor will only be hard on the battery when cutting heavy sward. Otherwise, its idle consumption when spinning freely is probably tens of watts. The almost half kwh of battery power in the Milwaukee for example will get through a fair amount if cutting before exhausting the battery, and I'd easily concede you could cover the claimed 2000m²/ ~ half acre of ground on a full charge if the load wasn't heavy going all the time. To put some figures one it, you'd walk 4000m to cut this, at the max powered walk rate of 6kph if possible, so 40 minutes of mowing. ⅔ of an hour. To exhaust the 432 Wh of batteries in this time would imply a consumption rate of 432 wh ÷ ⅔h, = 648 watts, so a constant consumption of under 1hp (1 hp = 746 watts). The petrol will always win because you can refuel quickly after heavy going, but normal usage will see reasonable operating time. A reasonable amount of energy is consumed by a petrol engine just to keep it turning. The electric motor is virtually frictionless, but the extent of the blade tip angles to generate airflow to the grass bag will determine the idle power consumption, and some power is used to propel the mower forward. Its hard to figure exactly how dense the grass is likely to be, how wet, how high, even the variety of grass will affect the load, some grasses are tough to cut. If you have a rough, reedy ex cow pasture, then you'll know what you're in for I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 casper7s

Hello!
    I have a 6-acre plot of land and I want to buy a lawn mower or grass trimmer. advise which is better? the grass is tall, the surface is uneven

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Afternoon all. Has anyone had any experience with this type of lawn mower that's coming to Lidl tomorrow? It is time for me to buy a new one.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/petrol-lawnmower/p10024081

If you have 6 acres of grass to cut, thats a large field. You'll need a commercial mower, at least 1.5m/60" like the Toro Ground master, or a small farm tractor with a rotary mowing bar or a towed topper if its rough and high. You'll need about €15k also. With that much grpund the small tractor is a very useful asset. Unless you meant .6 of an acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Yea interested in this one too?.Too cheap for an engine that size? I have a third of an acre to cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 casper7s

Still not clear. 0.6 of an acre, or one 6th of an acre? 0.6 is manageable with any decent size walk behind mower, but if its overgrown the first cut will be difficult. A mower with a high cut setting, and only take a half width at a time will get through it. If it's really overgrown you might need to hire a powerful weedeater/strimmer or a brush cutter to get it down to ground level, then mow from then on. Buying a trimmer to cut a large area regularly is only an option if the ground underneath is too rough for a wheeled mower, such as banks, ditches, overgrown landfill and earth heaps, often left after construction work.

I've seen the the cords cut off these more than once in my life! I ended up being asked to fix them. Its hard to maintain the concentration required to constantly avoid it. Mowers tend to small also, only for very small garden, 100m² maybe.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Any recommendations for somebody/company, in the Limerick/Nenagh area, who repair corroded ride on lawnmower decks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

would anyone know how long I should be waiting for delivery form Monaghan hire? It doesn’t say anything on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I spent a few k with them and they were fine delivery on a pallet iirc took about 4 working days.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Bought this in the end Yester. Cut the lawn there yesterday and it worked well- third of an acre-overgrown grass. The electric starter is very handy. Easy to assemble. Cheap enough engine made by a Chinese company- Chongquing Dajiang power equipment co.ltd. Do most people get there lawnmowers serviced/oil changed once a year? Is it worth it?

Clean under the deck regularly and at end of season with a wire brush, give it a coat of rustins or any rust primer paint. It will last forever. And change the oil yourself. If opening the plug underneath puts you off, just open the oil filler cap/dipstick and pour the old (warmed up) oil out through the filler by tipping the mower over (let it run out of petrol first). No disrespect to mower shops, but you might pay three quarters of the mower price for labour, oil, an unnecessary spark plug, and a replacement air filter which is probably only a washable sponge type. As long as you don't clatter the blade off stones (well, not too much), it's not going to need removal and sharpening/balancing. See above a few posts, @The Continental Op knocks the shyte out of his until it drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭bronkobilly

got one of them weibangs for 430E 3 in 1 (red one) self propelled well made mower but wow fierce heavy great for a long garden but for a small garden forget it even hard drag it back a bit should have got the push model every day is a school day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

How long did delivery take? I’m planning on getting the Legacy off them.

Advertisement