Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Karppi

One of the issues is; where do you decant all the existing traffic to whilst you demolish and rebuild a pier? There is no spare room anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Agreed. The DAA seemed in the 00's to be ahead of the curve with T2 and building for the future (against the protests of many stakeholders) but that vision now seems to be gone or their hands have been tied.

We will be back to temporary prefabs again if we are to get the old T1 piers modernized. I am in the 200 gates this morning and it is functional but embarrassing for a country of our wealth.

Dublin Airport is one of the few capital/major airports in the world that does not publish a Masterplan, which should set out the 25 year vision in some detail, and also be revised every five years. It may well have such a plan, but it isn’t published.

The whole planning environment in Ireland, at least as far as airport development is concerned, is dysfunctional. A lack of political will, which is affected by which way the wind blows, how near to an election, etc. is at the heart of it; there’s no strategic, long range planning. Such a shame, because some enlightened group did an excellent job back in the late 1960s. Where are their successors?

The planning authorities, Fingal CoCo and An Bord Pleanala, take years to make decisions. The requests for further information are numerous. The whole thing needs a major overhaul. Will that happen? I think we probably know the answer.

Meanwhile, caps limit the ability of the airport to provide for airlines which want to serve Ireland. We are turning business (=income) away as a country. It’s got to be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shamrocka330

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe if they weren't forced to charge such low landing fees…

Whatever about ABP, FCC are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that is a five year look ahead, driven by the IAA's quinquennial review period (Lovely word, that, "quinquennial"!) What is really needed is a 25 year ahead look. Like this, for example, Brisbane is a 20 year look ahead, refreshed every five years on a rolling basis. Brisbane is a good example as they were constructing and the opening a new parallel runway during the time DUB was designing and building theirs.

https://www.bne.com.au/corporate/projects/airport-master-plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe the only way the passenger cap issue will be resolved is for the DAA to do nothing, so sometime in Novembebr or December the cap will be breached. Then either (a) there is no real action, in the good old Irish tradition of poor enforcement of regulations, or (b) the planners order no more passengers to be handled for the next 4 to 8 weeks (including Christmas). This would provole such a crisis that the Government would have to enact whatever emergency legislation was necessary to resolve things.

And of course all thhis might well be in the run up to a General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

That would seem a very reasonable response to the complete inaction of our government to me. Use their own inability to act against them.

But would heads roll at the DAA as a result? Thats what it might come down to.

Then again with that sort of timing it might be too close to a new government for there to be any punishment, even for individual decision makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

FCC made a decision under current planning law. The only way for Government to override this is to have amending legislation drafted and enacted. That requires the Government to agree a unified position and ultimately for both Houses of the Oireachtas and the President to effect whatever changes might be involved. How likely is this in the short-term? Not very, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I love that idea. No flights out of DUB for all of December due to a planning restriction would certainly wake up the government.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It’s a fairly damming incitement of the current government that the scenario above is probably the only way anything will get done!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭dublin12367

What would be the consequences for intentionally ignoring the cap? A fine?

The unauthorised development in this case would be people, not structures/ buildings so they couldn’t be demolished.

An interesting question. What exactly is the legal basis of the cap? Are there other areas where similar capacity limits are set, apart from fire regulations etc? Is the action of the planners ultra vires?

Would FCC be gung-ho enough to seek an injunction to close the airport for a few weeks?

All of this really exposes the madness of the cap and the over-reach of the planners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Is the related development not the new runway? They could be asked to rip it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jwm121

Do other airports in other countries have caps like Dublin? Like Manchester or Edinburgh for example? Or is it just something that's unique to DUB?

No. The overall 32m cap is not tied to the north runway. The night flight cap is.

There's a lot of airports that have night flying restrictions, designed to put a limit on the noise at night. But I'm not aware of one that has a blanket passenger number cap like DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Other airports do have plane number caps, as in the number of aircraft movement per year or noise quotas. But these basically mean that bigger, newer, quieter planes are used. Dublins passenger cap - I don't know of anywhere else.

This is what the infrastructure application and night flight application are up against and why they are/ will be delayed for longer than necessary.

I have blocked out this posters name, but statements such as this should in no way be entertained or observations at planning stage/ appeals like this one should be thrown out.

The poster is concerned for the residents exposed to night noise in NEW build houses built on a flight path to an international airport nearly 90 years old, but it’s the airport that should be restricted.

This St Margaret Group have no valid concerns if this is what they are resorting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I think you need to look closer at the Visions section of the DAA website previously linked:

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/airport-development/dublin-airport-vision

Chapter 6 of the report on that page goes a lot further out than five years. The long terms plans aren't as firm as the Brisbane comparison and the absence of a clear government policy and the planning framework are mentioned as obstacles. But the options listed for the future airport layout do provide flexibility and recent developments and those currently going through planning are all clearly aligned with keeping those options feasible. As I've said before on this thread, they've clearly moved away from the old routine of short term thinking slapdash extensions

• Advertisement

Thank you, I hadn't seen this, so I'll read it with interest. Looking far ahead is critical and I'd be very happy if they are starting to do, and publish, their thinking.

Long delays at DUB this morning, currently 10 aircraft waiting to depart and lots in different holding points waiting to land….if only DUB had a second runway…oh wait 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's totally unacceptable at this stage. The new runway has been in operation for over a year and a half and any hint of low clouds or visibility and it is shut down. It is nowhere near LVP weather either. Who is taking responsibility for this and when will this be resolved? Progress is too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I notice this morning a Ryanair from Prestwick made an emergency landing on the new runway this morning, and it's been closed for operation since. Is it related?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Seems absolutely pathetic tbh

Majority of flights Taking 90+ minutes delay for departure.

Completely agree, it’s absolutely unacceptable that it’s taking this long. Surprised airlines aren’t complaining about it - although, thinking about it, they probably can’t vent in public considering the negative debate about caps and aircraft noise.

Unrelated - that FR aircraft needed to land immediately with 10R available, albeit with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭davebuck

Assume its the IAA's role to progress this approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Isn’t it the IAA that’s the problem here, and their own lack of sufficient staff?

• Advertisement

I wonder how many IAA staff it takes to change a lightbulb. 😊

More seriously, could they not get someone from the UK, or Germany, or France, or the USA to do the necessary tasks?

Advertisement