Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wife and i both won a nice chunk in our bets last night, normally we would use it to pay for a nice dinner but we will be donating it all to a very worthy cause this year to help feed places that are being blockaded and having famines inflicted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Loads of middle aged blokes getting bollocked off their Mrs when the phone bill is sky high next month and they try to convince her that they were voting for Israel on Eurovision, not calling sex lines! 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I didn’t create an account and I agree with concertman +100

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks for that… the eventual winners were only 4th in their Semi Final, even behind Armenia on the vote.

I know the Semis are televote only but that is some turn around.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

eh - I’m Pretty certain you did, just 6+ months ago and the vast majority of your posts are on a thread that you are now banned from (could be wrong, going from what I remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do we have those singers with a decent enough song to showcase their talents?

There's been no sign of them in our song competitions either.

Plus the Swiss singer did a lot of movement in the staging, it wasn't frenetic, but he wasn't just standing there and singing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Thank you for your interest in my profile - joined 2018

I stand over all my posts. Obviously you don’t agree with my opinions. I’ll take that as a positive thing.
    10 points from the Irish public must be doing your head in x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think any decent singer who wants a long term career stays well away from Eurovision these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Always, not just these days.

Except ABBA, who were the huge exception to the rule because they were exceptional and wrote and produced their own songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If a state of Palestine came into being and entered the contest, it would win first time by a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I think Switzerland was a real grower, didn’t have the instant appeal that others had. When I first saw the Swiss entry in the semi-final it kinda didn’t do anything for me (apart from wondering how they stayed up on the spinning yoke) until the song was over and I put the song and performance together and realized it was actually very good.

Then on the night last night I really saw it as a fantastic performance and worthy winner. I placed it second behind Croatia, which I felt was a nailed on winner, but that wasn’t to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

there’s a handful like that but obviously not as successful and definitely in the past- even in its heyday it was uncool from the perspective of those into their music

Don’t worry @Iscreamkone , most of us know Israel has been acting the big bully and has needed vocal defenders on random international forums long before 2018 :)

maybe check the rest of the notes left for you on this particular account - some pretty horrible stuff has been said by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yes, it must be terribly confusing to discover people hold different opinions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

300,000 people were ethnically cleansed last year in Nagorno-Karabakh in a conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Not one peep about this the entire time. Both countries were participants in this year's competition. No one said a word.

Israel always seems to be laser-like focus on anything and everything it does. One has to wonder why the only Jewish state gets this focus and other events and conflicts seem to be forgotten about.

The dirty secret is that there is a huge amount of Anti-Semitism around the world, especially in the Middle East. People wont admit to it of course, but its there and its there in many facets.

Mod - warned. This is not the thread for political posts about current military and geopolitical conflicts.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That wasn’t calling out anything, that was an expletive-laden tantrum, nothing more than an emotional outburst with vulgar language and confrontation. There was no coherent argument other than her saying how proud she was of herself. She had a very good opportunity to protest with some thoughtful expression of grievances, use some reasoned arguments and respectful language to convey a message but instead we got a childlike tantrum which was largely about her and how great she thought she was topped off then with some bizarre threat.

A lot of people are saying that’s the last we’ll see of her etc but I would have bet my bottom dollar that she would have been rolled out again and again by your RTÉs and NGOs at every opportunity for whatever stupid reason you can think of for the next decade and become part of the inner circle, however after that tantrum I would say she hung herself somewhat. The establishment will be somewhat reluctant to parade this loose canon about after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Not because of sour grapes or not because of political views am I saying this but I think the public vote needs to be reexamined. I think “Rest of World” needs to be knocked on the head and voting restricted to EBU members and competing countries including Australia. I know at least there’s a charge for votes so it’s a fire break but Rest of World really exposes the competition to the winds of politics. Certainly allow the world to watch if they wish but if your country isn’t a competitor then I don’t think you should be voting.

Of course it’s very lucrative so won’t happen but if the EBU were serious about an apolitical ESC, it’d be the low hanging fruit to deal with first IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I imagine the rest of the world don’t even realise how little their vote can count, but I agree with the OP, this mobilization of other countries outside of Europe in the belief that they can affect the outcome doesn’t sit right with me

• Advertisement

Palestine isn’t a real country and never was. It’s kinda like Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

IMHO maybe time to close this thread so the various pro/anti whatever shills can fight it out somewhere else.

Thanks for the national finals updates guys. Hopefully 2025 will be a better ESC musically. I thought this year was kind of mediocre for the most part. Looking forward to seeing what the Swiss do with the show next year.

Catch you all again next Jan/Feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why would Palestine enter Eurovision?

Is Lebanon there?

Syria?

Saudi Arabia?

Iran?

*it would be somewhat funny though, that people would line to vote for these countries which murder gays and homosexuals… how would they square that circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ya but if they dressed like half the contestants they'd be executed by their government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yagan

I didn't watch it, but I imagine Switzerland will be a lot more into ensuring that the ebu doesn't allow a rerun of this year's shyteshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭sniperman

this country should forget this contest,theres no one good enough anymore,if the latest offering was our best, thats it,…on the other hand if there were a contest for drinking,begrudgery,and jealousy we would win hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

By that logic they would have got an equal or higher score from Ireland when they actually won the contest with an objectively popular song in 2018 rather than a mere 7.

Their song this year was nothing special as evidenced by the average score it got from the juries. Even the people loudly trumpeting the high public vote total aren't trying to pretend it was about the actual song.

At a time when I get several phone calls a week on my phone from people/machines in other countries with spoofed Irish mobile numbers it would be relatively easy for a state actor, in desperate need of a PR win, to influence a public phone vote for a relatively small amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

A lot of the reason Israel got votes is because of split voting. Easy to win with 30% when the remaining 70% are split between multiple entries. Additionally there may have been a conspiracy going on along with far right manipulation.
    YouGov did a poll asking people if Israel should be banned from Eurovision. 59% in Britain supported a ban, only 23% opposed it. Now that 23% voted for one candidate while that 59% either boycotted or split between different countries. There were similar results in every other major European country surveyed except Germany, where 40% supported a ban and 37% opposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement