Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

@BlueSkyDreams I was trying to construct a post on mobile and typing gave out. I posted what I had and will clarify tomorrow. It's too late now. Just hope I haven't give them Idea to do so.

I agree about Social Media brainwashing, I notice the trend on twitter to Vote Israel (or vote the flag). And the encouragement to do so even from people who don't watch it and think it is a joke show etc.

On laptop now and quoting myself above.

Have a look at this twitter search? If your on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Nightwing1862

well it didn't age badly either. it's not like they ended up at the bottom of the table. It's our best result since 2000. That was a very long time ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

FWIW, I don't think it deserved to be as low as it was. I rather liked it. But, again, that's me.

I find that there is some irony in people angrily accusing Israel of getting politically motivated votes in a song contest when the primary purpose of opposing Israeli success is politically motivated. They did very well in the semi-finals, finishing with 50% more votes than Switzerland, was that explained purely by politics? Or did they perhaps have a reasonable song? CNN reports that while the Israeli entry was booed, there were more cheers from the audience.

I'm sure every year there are discussions on cases where politics seem to trump quality in terms of voting. Do Cyprus and Greece always vote for each other because of Turkey, because they are culturally similar and are likely to enjoy each other's work? Would Ukraine have really won 2022 with their song if they hadn't just been invaded? (Granted, it wasn't a bad entry, but still). Though Armenia and Azerbaijan are happy to shoot at each other, they seem to have no problem with sharing the stage (Except for the one time that the contest was held in Baku, they drew the line there).

What political boats did Nemo rock? OK, non-binary possibly annoyed some conservative folks, but it's not really a particularly energising subject any more. Yes, they called for a Gaza ceasefire with some others, but they did not oppose Israel's entry, let alone vocally like some other entrants. Nothing good happens from getting involved in politics, unless you're a politician. I wish Bambi the very best in their future career in the Dept of Foreign Affairs, but as for the opportunity to keystone a career as a Eurovision winner, being overtly political at the very best did no harm, and more likely caused some polarisation against. In other words, Switzerland (yet again) played neutrality better than Ireland did.

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder will we see Israel's song entering the Irish charts given it's popularity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,232 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

on the question of; “Or did they perhaps have a reasonable song?”

Put simply… no. It’s exactly the sort of song we hear two or three of every year - thoroughly safe, bland, generic, formulaic stuff. This year, it was basically the same thing as Slovenia and Georgia put up. All three fine, nice voices but nothing special. The jury results felt about right - middle of the road fare... that’s just how these types of songs tend to do. “Did they perhaps have a reasonable song” might account for some 50 or 60 points in the public vote, but certainly doesn’t come near explaining them getting a crazy huge 300+. That sort of insane outlier total basically has to be motivated by something else (and we saw the sources of those motivations in no shortage of dogwhistle twitter posts and Time square billboards). Had it actually been a half decent song, it would’ve won comfortably with that extra boost it got for non-musical reasons.

What’s great is that ultimately the winner was decided on more genuine terms, so the other placings will be relegated to footnotes and half-remembered factoids.

Particularly delighted that - like the Swiss - we did well on both Jury and Public scoring, adding a sense of genuine earned legitimacy to our excellent final position. Very proud of our own showing last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Well done to all the Irish people who stood up to the anti-Israeli mob 🥰

The anti-Israel gang of wasters do not speak for me 🇮🇱💪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Does the North effectively have 2 entries? The UK and Ireland whereas in the Olympics for example it's Great Britain rather than UK.

It's great Great Britain and Northern Ireland for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You know what im gonna go ahead and guess it wont, curious that will be wont it?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Croatia was attacked by an aggressive neighbour. Israel attacked by multiple neighbours.

Ukraine attacked by aggressive neighbour.

It was working class solidarity, all the talk about Jewish extremists and the far right is rubbish, only in the aloof minds of the activists are Jewish extremists a thing in Ireland.

Mod - warned. This is not the thread for political posts about current military and geopolitical conflicts.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,232 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I might have agreed with you if this contest took place back in mid-October. But the unrelenting and unconscionable destruction and murder of an already vulnerable society’s most vulnerable people and children that’s followed in the 6 months since then mean that comparison and justification is no longer valid.

We’ve moved way past solidarity, and are firmly in the realm of ideology.

Also, stop saying Jewish. This is not about religion. It’s about a nation state being held accountable for its actions.

Mod - warned. This is not the thread for political posts about current military and geopolitical conflicts.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Though I loved Bambi thugs song and performance I’m not sure it would have broad enough appeal to win something like this. It was very over hyped by our media too which is maybe understandable given our recent track record. The constant politicking by her likely did few favours in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wouldn’t have picked Switzerland myself- I felt France was better but at least France featured in the top 5 - yeah Bambi did well but it’s funny, when you hear the short snippets played of each countries song, Ireland stood out but not in a good way in my view - we all appreciate it was the best Irish entry in decades but it just didn’t sound like the best song of the night when compared to a number of other songs

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Oh they've 100% bought into Israel=Judaism propaganda

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I thought Switzerland was shite but had momentum behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

Ha, you might want to look at Croatia's history in the contest before making a silly statement like that.

They did well this year because they had a very popular song.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭watersleticia

wow you must have thought she was very good then . 6th out of 37 contestants! And the politics hurt her!

Look at the jury votes. There was a definite cultural (religious?) divide

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

The contests not supposed to be political but this was the most political in years. Ukraine was utter garbage but they still do well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I’m with you on that - it’s a song contest plain and simple - countries just seem to be trying too hard to stand out from the crowd

yes I think more conservative nations did not go fit her at all

I think it did cost her votes yes. Personally loved it by someone in Azerbaijan may hate it

But that's understandable, disappointing but understandable. That's a legitimate scoring pattern unlike some of the public anomaly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭jackboy

Was it really that political though in reality. It was hyped up as such in the media and on social media. However, if you look at the results alone it doesn't seem to have been political and that is the reality where the actual votes happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

This isn’t the first time I’ve read this since her embarrassing loss and tantrum. Talk about clutching at straws, you do realise in that time we also sent a rubber puppet to compete? Along with a bunch of other duds.

Like lining up a bunch of turds and deciding which one smells the least worst.

Panti Bliss has lost the plot, more than usual. She is alleging some conspiracy in relation to Ireland's huge public support for Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

How is our best result in decades an embarrassing loss??

We were never going to win with a song that divisive.

Bambie didn't 'throw a tantrum' about the result, they called out the lack of action by the EBU and the horrible environment it created for the contestants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wouldn't be one bit surprised. Do you not think it's possible?

We are talking about a propaganda led regime that wantonly kills women and children for months and months, I wouldn't put it past the psychos.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement