Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No guarantee

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Augme

This is becoming a bit comical/embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,080 ✭✭✭✭walshb

super middle pocket pot

be some steal this

bad shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is this the record in fouls given away?

(Bingham v Jones 16th frame)

Edit - no Jones gave 49 points away.

According to snooker.org Williams gave away 53 points in a match before.

https://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml

"Mark J Williams (Wales) won 101-94 in a frame versus Ding Junhui (China) in the quarterfinals of the 2023 UK Championship. Williams conceded 12 fouls (value 53) to Ding's 3 (12) (details)."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hard not to see the winner coming from the other semi based on this display. Bingham's experience may count for something but he has been poor so far here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Bingham was looking tired the last session. I suppose he would need to be superhuman to maintain the form he had.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

First session of Gilbert Wilson I've seen, enjoyable match, Wilson retakes the lead, 10-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Does the Gilbert Wilson match finish tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭fran38

Dunno what all the fuss is about with Wilson. Extremely ordinary player I think. No flair to him at all. And his little feet shuffle when lining up to take a shot. Drives me cuckoo.

Put a fork in Gilbert. He's done.

Post edited by Augme on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dramatic frame, Wilson takes a two frame lead, will be interesting to see how Gilbert reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This finishes tommorow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Jones might be level with Bingham, but he's not been amazing, anything but. He hasn't won a frame in a single visit. Bingham has won 3 in a single visit. In the other semi-final, in their first 2 sessions, Wilson and Gilbert had 3 each.

In some ways it would be gas if Jones won the tournament(though really, I just couldn't take that). Maybe then some people will look at the game with a little more scrutiny, instead stick sticking their heads in the sand.

Nobody has set the tournament alight. Last year Brecel played some brilliant snooker and deserved his victory. Si was brilliant too, until he collapsed against Brecel in the semi-final.

The World Championship has been at the Crucible since 1977, and there's never been 3 qualifiers in the semi-finals.

Anyone else fed up with the overhead camera shots?

Wilson beginning to pull away

Gilbert can still get to 12-12

This has gotten messy

That was a very poor last frame. Gilbert had plenty of chances to win it. Gilbert is probably done after that.

• Advertisement

Five in a row for Wilson, after last year it would be foolish to shout game over but it's hard to look past Wilson from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyone have the stat on how many players who beat O'Sullivan went on to win the tournament or remember off the top of their head?

Anyone good enough to beat O'Sullivan is in with a shout at the WC, which is why I'm tipping Bingham.

That was largely another poor frame from both players before Wilson got control towards the end. I didn't agree with some of Gilbert's shot selections, but then people do say his safety game is poor, so maybe he tried to pot his way out of trouble. But when you're playing badly, those shots have little to no chance and he was letting Wilson back in. Who himself missed easy shots. One shot in particular didn't even come close to the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Since his debut in 1993, 9 times the player who beats O'Sullivan has gone on to win the title

Hendry in 1995

Higgins in 1998

Hendry in 1999

Dott in 2006

Higgins in 2007

Higgins in 2011

Selby in 2014

Bingham in 2015

Brecel in 2023

So about 1 out of every 2 years when O'Sullivan hasn't won it himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭BQQ

9/23 is about 39%
    That’s closer to 1 out of 3

What a fluke

Fook off with the overheads!!!!

Same story this morning. Bingham takes the first frame 65-0 this morning. Jones, just like all his previous frames won needs multiple chances(73-46) and levels, 9-9.

I hope Bingham wins this match and the final. For snooker's sake as much as anything. Wilson isn't a World champion.

It was the same in the next frame, 78-55, Jones ahead 10-9 now. It's hard to like someone like this. And if he wins this frame it will be the same story, needing numerous chances.

That's an appalling miss by Bingham on the black. Should be 11-9 to Jones, the balls are set up like a practice session.

• Advertisement

On this form, Bingham certainly isn't a World champion either. He's falling apart against a much worse player. Wilson has been solid all through the tournament and has played the best of the 4 remaining. He's currently the most deserving winner. W

Advertisement