Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Phobia is a Greek word while the other ones are Latin words so let's make it fully Greek - odoenergophobia (road-energy-fear) 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No. But it should be the first one as it's the lowest hanging fruit. Do nothing different and save money.

It's a lot easier than hey spend more money on electricity and waste hours of your week charging, for those with no home charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Big strategy change in Tesla sales tactics. Must be a glut of vehicles at factories. I see spots cornered off in shopping center with model Y Tesla branded test drives. Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

It’s clear that loads of folk with an EV would like to buy a new one - the poor used EV market has stagnated new sales to an extent too

No, I haven't read it in full. Only relevant sections specifying power requirements etc.

PnC was only an example of what the industry could do as my response to someone's claim that they industry must help with uptake. Which I disputed. And I argued that the industry can't do much, but they could do at least PnC and that I'm surprised they still haven't. If they need to work with the CPOs then that's what they should do.

Apart from that it's 95% government policy. And I maintain the gov isn't doing enough. I'm yet to see you admitting it and you seem to be always defending the status quo while international comparison clearly shows it's substandard. I'm beginning to think you're associated with the gov/ESB given the apologetic attitude. Nothing personal, just my observation.

Post edited by McGiver on

• Advertisement

Gov should regulate and legislate the right to charge. So that people can't get refused when they request it at the GM or from the property management. Much more can and should be done Re legislation.

Mandating chargers in new builds is an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

I think the general negative portrayal of EVs in the media is having a big effect. A lot of people won't go to the effort of detailed research into EVs and will be swayed to avoid. I'm sure we have all heard from family and friends why EVs are such a bad idea.

Along with the usual concerns about charging infrastructure and range, I have two other theories that might be contributing in some small way to the overall drop.

Current EV owners deciding to hang on to their cars rather than upgrading on their usual 2-4 year cycle. I've seen a few posts where owners are being offered poor trade-in values on their original purchase price and instead are going to keep their cars. Only a small fraction of people will ever buy a new car (EV or otherwise).

The reduction in BIK exemption values coming in 2026. This will be a bigger contributing factor in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Ev fan

Manufacturers are going to have to do something to avoid fines on not meeting Ev manufacturing mix. Providing 5 year warranties to new cars and cheap extended warranties for second hand EVs might move the market along. Either that or pay the fines and achieve nothing? With EVS having a lot less moving parts prone to failing/wear and tear why would longer new warranties/extended warranties be a major problem?

Disagree. It all adds up. There's so many things at play. It's definitely not the primary reason you could say. But it's part of the whole problem. Getting the early majority into EVs is gonna be hard and in the absence of gov policy is going to be very slow process.

This is what I think too. And the sales while higher than the 2022 sales are mostly the existing EV owners upgrading.

If I was the gov I'd be looking at how to stimulate electrification of fleets - that's the most important aspect with a large impact on the EV growth. 3-4 year financial cycles where fleets are written off in the accounting books → company fleet cars going to the second hand individual market every 3-4 years at good prices → both fleets and private cars get steady growth of EVs. This has already been done and has worked in multiple EU markets.

• Advertisement

You can't build infra up front if there's no demand. It makes no commercial sense. No demand, no supply. Unless you assume the gov/taxpayer will do it and incur losses.

Infrastructure lags sales. It was like that with horses to car transition too. If people were waiting for a perfect/ubiquitous infrastructure they wouldn't have switched from horses IMHO.

Saying that - arterial roads and motorways should be EV ready. The gov failed at that but thankfully the EU27 agreed to force this upon themselves. Although the requirements are very lean, it's better than no mandate whatsoever.

What the gov needs to do is to legislate and regulate. So that CPOs & companies are incentivised to build chargers, so that there are no obstacles in EV adoption of legal, bureaucratic or regulatory sort. I'm not sure the gov is doing maximum in this matter (I'm being polite and diplomatic here).

And lastly, the gov can employ carrot and stick policies. Also not happening to the degree required for growth in line with the gov own goals and commitments.

Agreed. But do you think the gov has got an assessment of the potential EV market and approaches it in a strategic, pragmatic manner like that?

Doesn't stop them from going after all targets not just the low hanging fruit. Pretty sure Norway didn't do it like that but used multi-pronged approach.

In my opinion, they should go after company fleets at the same time as this low hanging fruit, and a minimum.

I'd bet on them to pivot to PHEVs unless the EU stops this.

Extended warranty isn't realistic. It's already 7 years standard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm not a child crossing a road, you don't need to offer to hold any hands.

There are still large numbers of people who have off-street parking with private driveways who haven't switched to EVs yet. There are solutions available for shared parking not only are the solutions in place today, they are mandated for new builds and major renovations, there are grants available for retrofits.

Existing multi occupancy dwellings are going to face increased demand from owners and renters to upgrade facilities, only the most intransigent management companies are going to stick their head in the sand and do nothing as the fleet electrifies. I think you'd be a brave director who tells a landlord you won't upgrade the facilities meaning the landlord has lost any potential renter who can afford a newer car.

People don't just buy the cars that they want, they buy the cars that automotive companies sell to them. I think that's a more likely reason than your 6% of domestic parking spaces equals the market being saturated.

It falls into the "anecdotal evidence" category.

Many EV owners here commented this isn't the case and how that's a confirmation bias.

Besides, ecars is only one of the providers. New CPOs are entering the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I don't think the government has any plan at all tbh.

However, this is the cohort we should be targeting first, the homeowning off street parking cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Went looking for a grant for the installation of a wall charger for a possible EV as a cheap second car for local driving in the very near future and was told the grant had been reduced from 600 to 300. Absolutely ridiculous and leaving me thinking i'll not bother now as the installation fee quote was 1450 euro which was a lot more than i expected also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,907 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think you are a long way off there, there may eventually be manufacturers that offer that option but very very few people need it, lots of ICE cars wont do that doesnt stop people buying them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've said many times that there are areas where policy and programmes need to be better, however I at least bother to check what the regulations and programmes are before having a dig. Most of the time I'm explaining the status quo rather than defending it, lots of people don't bother with the details and raise issues that are already on their way to being solved.

For instance, it would be ridiculous in 2024 to call for a government policy on payment card support for chargers when the AFIR covers it, similarly when people call on eCars as a commercial supplier to do things (AC in residential areas) that should be handled by local government. I'm a believer that the right things should be done by the right organisations, your example of PnC has already been implemented by the automakers, it's now on the CPO's to integrate with it something that in our recent discussion I said should be mandated by regulation.

I'm a software architect that works with financial institutions, the first step to delivering any change is to understand what's already being implemented. That way you don't waste effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh depending on mileage you'd claw that back in the first 12 months. When you swap to primary car being one. Grants will be gone gone by then.

• Advertisement

Grant funding is being moved from private purchases to more communal benefits, instead of giving 100 people €600 to help install their own charge point the €60,000 can be used to install a charger that many people can benefit from.

I'm hoping we'll see some price drops as the domestic charging installation grants are reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

right to X, is pushed by those who expect people to pick up their tab.

There’s already a 80% grant in place for apartments to cover charging infrastructure, owners need to press their management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Ev fan

Not sure what you mean about 7 years standard? - from what I understand a lot of manufacturers only offer 3 yrs warranty as standard

VW CUPRA seat Ford Renault volvo Citroën fiat mini skoda BMW audi etc. Etc. Of course some manufacturers do better- notably Hyundai Kia various Chinese manufacturers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

I love to see realistic and honest feedback like this on range etc.

I am planning to move to EV in the next few months and feedback like this is invaluable, but unfortunately you're in the minority.

I've no interest in changing my driving habits to suit a new car. It should be an upgrade and make life easier, not a move where sacrifices need to made in terms of speed, heating etc.

Far too many EV owners set unrealistic expectations which fuels the disappointment of those making the move without being properly informed.

Thankfully I've done enough stalking of this EV forum to know which posters feedback is worth listening to and which should be ignored, but I'm sure there are many who have not.

This results in people making the move, having to compromise and ultimately being disappointed with the experience which they then share and feed in to negativity around EVs.

Anyway, good to see honest and realistic feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

Sure, I always appreciate your details on the legislation because although I've a good gist I can't keep with all of the details 🙏🏻👍🏻

Happy to hear you're not a gov apologist 😎

Battery warranty is 7y standard.

Mechanical warranty - well that differs by brand but AFAIK it isn't different to ICE or?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I just gave you the actual statistics for the entire country and you show me Swords? And think this is some kind of rebuttal? Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness there a vast amount of "real" world range tests on YouTube. For anyone wanting to get information.

I'm not convinced it's overly positive people putting people off EVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I agree with this especially the media negativity. I think that and the market crash are the main reason for the fall in sales. Especially the latter.

All the other stuff, range, charging, price certainly are issues. But not the main issues. Because they were all there in 2022 and didn't have the same effect.

Advertisement