Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It’s jumping from the leftist slogan of “Refugees Welcome” to the hard-right dog whistles about open borders.

You know exactly what they are doing - playing dumb to avoid criticising the party isn’t a great look

• Registered Users Posts: 67,678 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can you explain what the conflict in the two positions is?

I did some looking there and back in 2023 SF were saying this in the Dáil

Don't be telling me what I 'know'.
    Just answer the question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is exactly what we have at the moment, so I would be curious what exactly it is about the system that SF would change beyond using it as an opportunity for fairly dog whistling soundbites.

It’s been explained - you feigning ignorance to deflect from that doesn’t change anything. Maybe try a different tactic for once - it’s transparent.

Ironically - this State has only one open border - and it’s the one Sinn Fein spent 2016-2022 working very hard in conjunction with all other Irish parties to ensure it stayed open. But SF won’t let that stand in the way of dog-whistling to the far right

Post edited by blackwhite on

Hold on, you were ridiculing them for changing.
    There is no conflict in the two positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,395 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Indeed - it's now the main route for asylum applicants into the country according to McEntee

More than 80 per cent of people applying for asylum in Ireland are coming from the UK over the land Border with Northern Ireland, Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has estimated.

Ms McEntee told the Oireachtas justice committee, which is holding a hearing on the Government’s decision to opt-in to an EU-wide migration pact, that the estimate was that more than 80 per cent were coming across the Border.

We always used to regard the CTA as a means for failed asylum seekers to flow out of the country, not for prospective asylum seekers to flow in… times must really be getting hard in the UK!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I suspect the EES roll-out (basically a system much like the US ESTA where everyone is fingerprinted & photographed) might be playing a part in this. The British gov't beat their chest a lot about immigration but UKBA in reality has been starved of cash.

As we found to our cost during the pandemic - if only we didn't have an unnecessary and artificial border we could better secure the island if it was all the one jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is only longer trends that you can rely on.

There really only have been two trends since the last election. Firstly, the Sinn Fein vote went up by about 10% until a year ago, since when it has dropped back to general election levels.

For 2024, most of the parties have been within the margin of error relative to their previous general election position.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is funny that Sinn Fein's new immigration policy is based on bringing back border checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Was I? If you could put out where exactly I was doing that I'd be obliged.

I do find the language re "open borders" opportunistic and in poor taste. Attempting to backstop it with talk about an immigration system that respects human rights and refugees is pure cakeism. It is using dog whistling language on one side, while arguing to essentially maintain the status quo on the other.

Apologies confused you with another post.
    Main point is this is not a new angle, over a year ago Pa Daly was saying exactly the same thing

As usual - SF are perfect and everyone else is the problem.
    I mean it’s only known political opponents of SF such as the [checks notes] Abolish Direct Provision Campaign that see any problem with this

• Registered Users Posts: 39,696 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not a great look today in the Dail Chamber when leas Cheann Comhairle Catherine Connolly addressed an empty chamber when topical issues were up for discussion. It can’t be a shock given that that TD’s submit questions to be asked of the government. I know it’s Thursday but Jesus Christ they are payed by us to be there and apparently six of them(the three question askers and the responders) couldn’t be arsed it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,238 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, Michael Collins and his local sidekick Dermot Kelleher were in Macroom last Saturday, telling the farmers that most of the TDs in the Dail were hippies.

How many political lives does she have left? Harris missed a trick not switching her out when he took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have been paying a lot of attention to the Independent Ireland party. I have particularly noticed the repeated use of the term "Common sense" by their candidates…which is the sort of meaningless phrase that means all things to all people.

It looks like I'm not the only one who picked up on it:

To give me my due, I saw these lads coming. A few months ago I noted that their first celebrity signing was the Independent TD Michael ­Fitzmaurice, who immediately made it clear that “common sense” was his lodestar.

This put me in mind straight away of the places where I see the words “common sense” used the most, which tend to be in the headlines of articles written in papers like The Telegraph by people who argue that “Brexit didn’t go far enough because it was too woke” — that kind of common sense.

Soon former RTÉ midlands ­correspondent Ciaran Mullooly was ­bringing his particular brand of common sense to the party, running in the European elections. And now Niall Boylan is the man telling it like it is.

Hard to know how the minister's position is tenable if this is true. How could she give out a figure if there is no evidence for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Her position has been untenable 2-3 times already and she's hung on, wouldn't surprise me to see the same again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The headline is a bit misleading, there's plenty of evidence just not captured directly (it would seem we don't officially ask/record how the applicant got here as part of the process).

McEntee said "at least 80%, probably more are coming over the border" which is based off the fact that 91% of the current International Protection claims are coming from "somewhere other than" the official ports of entry.

Now , if they aren't getting into the country via the ports and airports , where are they coming from??

We don't have a "small-boats crossing the channel" scenario here unlike the UK or countries in the Med so it's absolutely reasonable to conclude that the overwhelming majority of that 91% are coming across the land border.

"This has increased in 2024. To date in 2024, there have been 6,739 applications for Internationl Protection at the IPO. Of these 6,136 (91%) were made at the IPO for the first time and not at a port of entry.

"There are a number of circumstances in which someone might apply in the IPO without first applying at a port of entry. They may enter at an airport with valid documentation for example but choose not to apply at that time. Or they may apply having been in the State for a period previously, for example on foot of a different permission to remain.

"However, the Department’s firm assessment, based on the experience of staff and others working in the field, and based on the material gathered at interviews, is that in most cases those applying for the first time in the IPO have entered over the land border.

"This data, and the Department’s assessment, is what the Minister was drawing on in referring to the number of arrivals over land border."

• Advertisement

It's the idea that the Tanaiste is undermining what the MoJ is saying that is the problem here. It is an awful awful look and reeks of incompetence tbh. Don't they have channels of communication between each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is it only after the passing of the Rwanda law at Westminster that the Irish govt released the "80% of asylum seekers are crossing the border with NI" soundbite? It just seemed to come from nowhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Because a High Court decision was handed down stating that the UK is not a safe country because of the Rwanda legislation.

The Gov could appeal that decision to the SC but have decided to change the law governing this.

The 80% comes from the fact that over 90% of applications for IP are made directly to the IP office rather than at the port of entry. Someone requiring a via to enter Ireland who crosses the border without it is an illegal immigrant and can be returned across the border. Of course, they need to be detected doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭pureza

This

If you enter a port without the required permission you are going to be detained whether that be at Rosdlare Dublin airport etc

People denying that, if thats only happening to 2 out of 10 applicants and theres NO record of offcial entry by the other 8 out of 10 applying at the IPO and saying they're not entering from the north ,are talking out of their Ass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭political analyst

That doesn't answer my question - the High Court made its decision a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think McEntee went off on a bit of a solo run here with her megaphone diplomacy. It was a bad mistake and others are now trying to dial it back a bit.

It's UK commentators that are making the connection with Rwanda. McEntee, SFAIK, hasn't suggested any link. Furthermore, the basis for her claim about 80%+ coming over the border is the the proportion of applications that are made in Mount St rather than at ports of entry, but she hasn't said whether there was any change in that proportion after the Rwanda plan was announced, or was enacted, or after the High Court decision. Is this 80% a recent thing, or has it always been the case? We don't know.

UK commentators light on this because they want to claim that it shows the Rwanda plan is working — it is leading asylum seekers to leave the UK — but so far there doesn't seem to be much concrete support for that view in what McEntee said.

If the timing of McEntee's comments is unrelated to Rwanda, what is it related to? I don't know, is the short answer. We may be overthinking this, if we assume that there must be some strategic consideration to the timing. If the comments themselves were not well thought out — and they weren't — then it may be that not a lot of thought went into the timing of them either. The comments were made at a hearing of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice in response to questions put to her, so the simple answer may be: she said it when she did because that's when she was asked the question. She might have given a similar answer in the past, if she had been asked in the past.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

SFAIK it hasn't been claimed that there is no record of entry for the people applying at the IPO. All we can say about them is that they didn't apply for protection at a port of entry.

There are (at least) 3 possible explanations for this:

1. They came across the NI border.
    2. They entered legitimately at a seaport or airport (i.e. they were not visa-required, or they had a visa) and subsequently sought asylum.
    3. They entered clandestinely at a seaport or airport (which is hard to do but not necessarily impossible, e.g. at Dublin Port or Rosslare).

It's likely that the majority did come across the NI border, since that's the easiest route for most people, but we have no actual figures on this. SFAIK the information collected when people apply in Mount St does not include how they came to be in Ireland— that's not relevant to the determination of their claim for asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Does Dublin Port actually have any passport controls? Didn't last time I used it but that was pre-Brexit and I was driving.

I haven't been through since long before Brexit, but I believe it does. I've no idea how thorough or comprehensive they are, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I was a foot passenger off the Holyhead ferry last year and 1 garda on his own was checking ID, I don't know how much its done though.

Advertisement