Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The engima that is Cork hurling

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cork aren't an enigma. They're just useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I wonder where ‘The golden Miller’ guy/gal has gone. Not a ‘dicky-bird’ out of him in the last few months…..would he/she still have the same opinions on Cark hurling and their new skill this past two games i.e finishing games with 14 mean and getting multiple yellow cards from anti-cork/biased refs…..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As anyone on the soccer forum could tell you, that particular poster lives in an alternate reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

was he the ‘natural hurler’ guy?
    hope he comes back , was funny winding him up before the all ireland a few years back when limerick naturally hockeyed cork.

another disappearing act then again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

Cork can't defend properly. As a result, they rack up too many yellow cards, most of them nothing yellow cards, that come from poor defending technique.

Then one of them does something stupid, and gets a second yellow, and gets sent off.

It's been going on for years.

Tackle with the hurl, not the hand. Learn to flick/hook properly instead of just swinging the stick. Don't get sucked into a bunch in defence leaving two lads open, and then playing the arm to prevent a pass to a loose man. Don't put your hand on the back when tackling.

For all the talk of skill in Cork hurling, at the highest level the lack in basic awareness and skill in defences has cost Cork dearly in big games, arguably even an AI in 2017 (I reckon they've have done better against Galway than Waterford had they got past Waterford but a red card scuppered that).

Repeated soft yellow cards, which Cork tend to rack up more than anyone, is a symptom of poverty in defence. And poverty in defence won't win you anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Oh I'm right here. Watching Cork go up through the gears. Beating the All-Ireland champions in the process. Was your post supposed to be "I told you so"? Didn't age well if so.

The natural hurlers moving along nicely

That the same Limerick they beat a few weeks back?

That's slander of my good name :)

Seems this thread went very quite when Cork started racking up the wins, beating the All-Ireland champions in the process. Disappearing act they all said! Disappearing act indeed, from most on here who wrongly predicted their demise. But us real hurling fans know, you can't keep hurlings traditional powerhouse down for too long.

You've Cork, a gap to KK and Tipp and then a gap to the rest. That's the natural order of things in hurling. And will soon be the case once more!

Don't hate the player and all that…

There's one thing people should really sit down and think about. You look at the football championship, and its all blanket defences, and all counties adopting the same approach to compete. Likewise, in hurling, since the dominance of KK, all the others adopted a similar approach to win, physicality. It's all about winning. All counties in both codes, will change their style if it means winning. And people will say, at the end of the day, it's all about winning.

Then you have the anomaly in hurling, Cork. The Cork hurlers are the only team in the country in both codes, who refuse to change their style. Others would say stubborn or "refuse to move with the times". But that's what people mean when they say Cork hurling is special and has a culture about it, they take such great pride in how they play. No other team in either code can say that, they'll blow with the wind if it means winning.

Cork hurlers winning the All-Ireland would simply be great for the game of hurling. Not so I could tell people "I told you so", but surely neutrals would want to see it. We've had two decades of KK and Limerick, dragging the game to it's lowest common denominator, in terms of skill, all about physicality and tenacity. That has it's place too, but surely people would love to see a natural fluid team winning.

I think it would be great for the game, and show people it's not all about size and physicality, show kids the skills and art of the game are still there, if only with Cork. But Cork prevailing may mean others will again adopt this approach.

But people get caught up on how their senior hurlers are doing. The point really is, in spite of the game changing elsewhere, its the ethos and attitude in general to the game in Cork, and their unique philosphy which they keep alive. No other county in hurling or football has such a unique culture, completely seperate to what everyone else is doing. People often call them arrogant, but it's a case that they take great pride in it.

And it's served them well. They're traditionally hurlings most successful county. KK passed them out recently in All-Irelands, but came from a weaker provence over the years with no back door, allowing for potentially a greater return in All-Irelands. If they swapped places with Cork, Cork would have won probably an extra 20 provincial championships, meaning they would probably have 40+ All Irelands today. Cork would be stronger still than KK traditionally. The fact it took KK this long to surpass them, speaks volumes in itself. But this is going off topic somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

There is only 1 thing worse than a sore loser....

And still they've won nothing yet. Crowing about 3rd in Munster. Imagine what it'll be like when they do get over the line.

As for Cork being bastions of skillful hurling, most of their "fluid" hurling is based around rampant throwing of the ball and abuse of the steps rule. There's no skill in that at all, it's no coincidence they've improved when they don't actually have to play hurling to play hurling and started playing athletes who can run and throw all day instead of actual stickmen (though I'd excuse Horgan and Harnedy in that, being sublime stickmen of the highest calibre) who can use skill to beat an opponent.

And of course, they're still behind Kilkenny in every metric bar U20/U21, despite having 5 times the population and 6 times the clubs.

The real enigma is how it's taken them so long to realise that the game has shifted for a good few years now into a run/step/throw game that suits their failed running game from the 00's and they can prosper from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭supernova5

oh Christ, I'm reaching for the puke bucket as I write this…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

"Every metric" they're behind KK in, has been a result of the internal issues effecting Cork the last 20 years. KK's dominance wasn't so much they were that good, which everyone harps on about, it was the result of their greatest rival falling, by the way of shooting themselves in the foot. It opened the door for KK to go unchallenged for such a long period.

Before this, there was a noticeable gap between Cork and KK and Tipp in the big 3. Cork were always that bit ahead of the two, in what they won, and the talent they produced. People don't like to admit it, but had Cork swapped places with KK in their provences for the course of history, Cork would have 40+ All-Irelands, pushing 50. KK's 36 would probably be reduced to under 30. Thats the reality

People will say Leinster wasn't always this weak, but it simply was never as strong as Munster. KK had far more chances to win All-Irelands than Cork with no back door, yet only recently passed them. Having KK currently on the top of the roll of honour, doesn't tell the full story. They're lucky to be there due to the provence they come from. They and Tipp are simply a distance behind Cork historically

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Not made with hands

I'm not from Cork or care much for the county, just admire their hurlers, which every neutral should

But Kilkenny and Tipp were not a distance behind them historically, that's why they became known as the Big Three. Tipperary were ahead of them in AI titles prior to their famine of 71-89 (22-21, with Kilkenny on 17 at the time). It was only when Tipp had their famine that Cork came to the front on all things in Munster.

As for Cork failing leading to Kilkenny dominance in the 2000's, Kilkenny were the ones that ended Cork's great team of the 00's, who let's not forget was a team of all time greats that were going for three on the bounce. Kilkenny beat them in the final in 06, and the SF in '08 and '10. Cork were hardly push-over in those years, they were fading but still a formidable outfit that still had plenty of their great players available, but their decline was hastened by Kilkenny.

Even in Cork's decline in the last two decades, Kilkenny have gone half the length without winning an AI as Cork have currently, fail to win this year and it's Kilkenny's second longest senior famine (I think), and our underage has been a disaster. Hardly making the most of Cork not being around.

And let's not forget, Cork have almost double the population and number of clubs of Kilkenny and Tipp combined. In comparison, Cork have been well off those two in terms of making the most of their resources, Kilkenny in particular have punched way above their weight in comparison, and that hasn't just been in recent times. Hell, Cork had 6 AI titles on the board before Kilkenny won their first one, but that was nearly 120 years ago. It's been relatively close between the Big Three all the way up since then, historically speaking, the Big Three were as good as each other.

And even with Leinster being weak pre-back door, Kilkenny would still have to beat the best in Munster to win those AI titles, so that argument of handy Leinster titles is moot.

That's not to say Cork hurling doesn't have a magnificent and storied history that hurling fans everywhere can appreciate, of course it does, but Kilkenny and Tipp have very much been the equal of Cork historically, with Kilkenny having surpassed them a while now.

None of which changes the fact that Cork's current fluidity as a team is based not on hurling skill but on referees turning a blind eye to teams repeatedly breaking the steps rule and throwing the ball, which is the perfect scenario for the Cork running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 King Power Fox

There is no enigma.Simply not good enough recently. Don't buy this Cork has natural hurlers. On the flip side what is an unnatural hurler. All intercounty players are very talented and skillful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Did you not know that cork folk have a specific hurling gene in their DNA……..only they can produce the truly gifted hurlers..😀

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭RoscommonHero

After seeing their celebrations after scraping through against Limerick with a late flurry I have to say I think Cork have no chance of winning it. Clare did the same when they beat Limerick in the round robin last year. They went overboard on the "we beat Limerick" trophy celebrations. To me, it points to an inferiority complex, that they can't believe they have beaten this team that has hammered them frequently in recent years. If they meet again, it will be in Croker and Limerick will demolish them. But I don't think Cork will get that far. Whenever I see teams dining out too much on one game I know it is going to end in tears for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Celebration police out in force again i see.

Limerick had a pitch invasion after beating Cork at home in the round robin last year, didn't hear much fuss about it. As there shouldn't have been.

They also had a pitch invasion after beating Waterford at home in the round robin this year. Again, not a dickie bird.

If you can't celebrate winning a game that if you had lost you were out of the championship then the game truly is gone. Long may the munster hurling passion,by all counties, continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭RoscommonHero

False equivalence, it's not about pitch invasions (which in Limerick's case is normally kids running on to get selfies/autographs) but it is reactions of the players that is telling. That is what I am basing my judgement on. The Cork players reacted like they had won an all-Ireland, as if beating Limerick was their all-Ireland, and in many ways it is. I have seen it a thousand times in many many different sports. If a team/player gets overly excited or self-satisfied after an earlier result in a tournament, they are doomed to failure, as their reaction to the earlier victory tells you that they have already achieved more than what they believed they could. For want of a better word, it's small-time. Cork will not win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Hilarious.

I thought the Cork players were actually quite measured after the Limerick game. Fitzgibbon, Barrett, interviews - both satisfied with the win, the manner of it, but acknowledging still a lot to do and focussed already on the next game. On youtube if you want a refresher.

That to me tells me Cork will be winning, if not this year, certainly in the next 2 or 3 yrs.

Granted, yes, we have all seen over celebrations in sports but im not seeing it on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Cork aren't that far off, but the whole point of the thread is that they make it so much harder for themselves with the laziness of their whole hurling culture around defending. Even if they have more success it's likely to be in spite of their approach to defending than because of it. They adopted a style of play 20 years ago and have yet to break free from it.

It's not impossible to have success the way they're playing, but it's unlikely, and one would have to think intercounty hurlers should have much more bite than the teams they keep producing. It should be a basic that you make the opposition fight for every inch.

So there was a point when Cork and Tipp were 21/22 All Irelands. That reflects even worse on KK. They came from the same provence, and were splitting provincial championships, lessening the opportunities for each other to go on and win All Irelands, and both still had more than KK. Put either of those into Leinster in place of KK, and either would of been up to 26/27 by that stage, KK on less than 17 if they were in Munster.

KK may still have had to face the best in Munster, but it's a once of game, if you come from Munster there's greater odds of losing by the law of averages, if you have to knock out 3 great teams on the bounce, as opposed to raising it for 1.

KK have had it handy for a long time, and really, if they came from Munster, would be on circa 22/23 All Irelands probably. They did topple Cork in the mid-00's, but by the end of the decade, a new cycle never came from Cork, that would usually happen, with internal issues. It gave KK a free run for a long time. Cork were never afforded a free run like that to rack up All Irelands, always had to do it the hard way coming from Munster. Tipp too. What Cork and Tipp have won carries more weight for me than what KK have, due to the provence they came from, and both, for much of history, were still ahead of KK. As I said, doesn't say much for KK!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

If 2 counties were splitting championships between Munster wasn't quite the bear pit you are making it out to be

So you're saying, Kilkenny' success came about because very often neither Cork or Tipp could manage two games in the one year? That's your argument. My god, there's delusion, then there's jus plain demented, and then there's whatever argument you're making.

And Kilkenny didn't have a free run after Cork. The best Tipp team since the 60's came around. There's an entire series of games between the two, league and championship, for the guts of over a decade since '08 to '19 that would need it's own wing in the pantheon of hurling's most epic games. Ignoring or playing down what that great Tipp team brought to hurling is an insult to hurling.

And while the weight of Munster might carry more for you, the history books, quite clearly, say otherwise. They're unconcerned with your opinion.

PS - The history books also show the standing of AI's as Kilkenny 36, Cork 30 and Tipp 28. Cork and Tipp had 6 each before Kilkenny won one. Since then it's Kilkenny 36, Cork/Tipp 46, which is not too far off both combined in the same time for Kilkenny. So an argument could be to say historically, since Kilkenny have started winning, it's taken the two strongest counties in Munster together to pass them, which would suggest historically since it became a bit three, it should really be a Big Two as in Kilkenny and Tipp/Cork. Now it would be a total bull5hit argument, but still much more sense than what you're attempting.

And again, none of which has anything to do with Cork getting better lately because the throw/steps game of today has helped them rather than any genuine skill. Limerick also run/throw, but Limerick have great all-round skill, particularly in the defensive side of things, which is why they've won so much compared to Cork. Though a few of Cork's younger players are showing some serious promise on the first touch/stick pass/striking as Horgan (who is a supreme stick man).

• Advertisement
Advertisement