Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GCN+ is dead

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Presume all this gcn dust has settled by now. Mind me asking how lads are getting on 26th they're new D+ alternative? Is that the only show in town now pretty much?

Probably should sort myself out for coverage with the giro looming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

I took out a sub. Race event coverage is pretty much the same. No documentaries. Not sure if the pre race stuff GCN did for the grand tours will be a feature this year.

If you just want it for the racing, it's all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Regarding the documentaries, I was looking at the comments on one of the vids on their YouTube channel recently (I tell myself it's not the Journal) and they said they're actively looking for a home for all that content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Real shame as I actually enjoyed watching all of the tours without the ads. But that was the only reason to sub, so hard to say if it made financial sense if a lot of subscriptions were only for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is an ad-free option on Eurosport (I still have an old legacy subscription) so I imagine that will be the same for Discovery Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There is an ad-free option for any race I've watched live or on demand on the Discovery Plus app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’ve had discovery for nearly three years now. All races are ad free. For the big races, Eurosport coverage is included (ie the breakaway, pre race etc)

How do you get the ad free highlights? I get ad free live coverage but have to sit through ads on highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The D+ coverage has been superb; two versions of pretty much everything as far as I can see.
    The 'Eurosport' as-broadcast version (with ad breaks), and the full ad-free version.
    The Highlights offerings are patchy though, it being seemingly random which race/stage gets a highlights package or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The highlights packages all appear to be as-broadcast on Eurosport, so they all contain ad breaks.

As far as I can see anyway.

And I don't recall the highlights having ad breaks with GCN+, but I could be misremembering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Its such a kick in the teeth for the makers of all those documentaries to just have them sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I used to love putting one of them on on the background. The GCN channel on YT recently had a video of Simon doing America's toughest gravel race. It has been viewed 163K times in just 4 days. And its just 16 minutes long.

Think that could easily have been 45-60 minutes of interesting content without massively increasing their costs to produce it which lots of people would still be happy to watch.

Not Highlights - I generally just watch the live coverage back (as eurosport "highlights" tend to be just the last half hour/ hour of a race anyway)

Ah! Do that myself sometimes, generally to get the last half hour or so of a race

They didn't. Definitely not. Used to have a 5min and 25min highlight option on GCN+, ad free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Subed for 1 month to D+ and boy isn't this a treat without the ads. Will do it again for TdF and Vuelta.

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bah, Sky have finally noticed that I was still getting D+ despite having downgraded to the Essentials package, and have cut me off.

I've paid me 6.99 for the Giro, I assume there's no cheaper way of getting D+?

Advertisement