Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GCN+ is dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

The table in the link below doesn't cover South America or Asia but it appears D+ is Europe only?

https://escapecollective.com/how-to-watch-pro-bike-racing-in-2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I got Discovery plus free on my Sky box with just a basic package & HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Never got the offer email, so hanging fire for Opening Weekend before I suck up the subscription to Discovery Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I got the free 3 months that is getting me through CX season. After that I'm not sure. It's a bit much to spend for just the sports. I've no interest in 1000lb sisters or ancient aliens building the pyramids!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Using 3 credit to pay via google. Was reluctant otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Like dahat, I have it free via Sky Q. But this might be of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

What exactly does this mean? Does D+ come bundled with Prime Video or what? If not, what does watch it on a Prime Eligible device mean?

Edit..........Doesn't seem like it comes bundled but just means you have to watch D+ through the app you watch Prime Video on. It escapes me how this is a benefit of any kind. I must be missing something here? Wtf is this all about?

Edit 2.................... I don't watch cyclocross so I figure I'm not going to lose out too much. Feb 24th to Oct 24th gets me all the racing I'll watch. That's 8 months at €7pm which is just €16 more than GCN cost me. If I decide not to bother with Lombardy then it's just €9 more expensive. Most years I miss Lombardy anyway and end up watching highlights.

Post edited by G1032 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I've never used any streaming service before (Netflix, Disney etc) so very clueless here - totally out if the loop with modern entertainment options. I'm looking at getting rid of Virgin altogether and just having a saorview/freesat setup which will do fine.

However I would be lost without Eurosport for the cycling. I found this thread when googling GCN, which I thought was my best option. Can I subscribe just to watch Eurosport through an app that would work on my smart TV? Is it Eurosport that you get with this Discovery Plus subscription?

Yes. It's the eurosport feed. But D+ live racing streams will be ad free

Actually edit that. Eurosport is moving to D+

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you have sky? If you do, you might have discovery + for free.

• Advertisement

I have Virgin and looking to just get rid of tv packages altogether. Happy to live with just the free Irish/UK channels, but just want to keep Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ottolwinner

So if you have Eurosport you won’t have cycling unless you subscribe to D+ for 6.99 a month?

have I got that right?

No, I don't think that correct. I think if you have Eurosport through a TV package then things continue as normal with the usual content.

Thanks I haven’t seen any cycling on it this year so far. I thought last year the likes of tour down under was on. Haven’t seen adds for any upcoming events.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you have Eurosport 1 and 2?

There should be live cycling this afternoon on ES2 from the Tour of Valenica.

Highlights tonight on ES1 and ES2.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

When they announced the change there were a few European countries where Discovery + wasn't available but you could still get Eurosport. You'll get the same coverage for the majority of races, and can change commentary to English, but you won't get the same highlights

So to clarify, if I subscribe to D+ and cancel my TV package, will I see the usual Eurosport coverage of the cycling tours, commentated by Carlton, Sean, Brian, Adam etc and the Breakaway etc after each TdeF stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yes but you'll need a way to get the pictures on your TV. Or you can watch on your computer, tablet or phone.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500000101182-discovery-supported-devices

No way to get the app on smart tv? Or would chromcast work?

I'd settle for my tablet though if all else fails.

Thanks.

Edit - sorry, read your link in more detail. Samsung smart TV works and chromecast so that's perfect. Thank you! And goodbye Virgin Media!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Fire stick also works

• Advertisement

Finally found cycling today thanks I wouldn’t have looked only for this thread. With GCN gone does that mean the post race analysis on the grand tours will be no more? It will just be the commentary on stage we hear?

I haven't signed up to Discovery yet but from what I can make out it's pretty much business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

So far, everything that was on GCN is now available on D+.

Road, cyclocross, track, mountain bike, etc, etc.

All 'live' and on demand, with the choice (😄) of the as-broadcast Eurosport feed or the uninterrupted (no ad breaks) feed.

I seem to remember that the studio stuff was only there for the GTs (and the monuments?), so I've no idea if they're going to have that this year. Was it a GCN or a Eurosport thing, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,185 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

GTs and monuments had studio stuff last year on discovery. Effectively everything that was available live on GCN and/or Eurosport was available on discovery plus

GTs had several different feeds available (no ads, TV coverage, “multiaudio” etc)

Signed up - Discovery+ app is on FireTV, NowTV stick, Apple TV. No need to cast.

It is like going back to the pre-GCN Eurosport Players. Only real change from GCN is adverts on the extended highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

LG tv has a discovery+ app where all the coverage/highlights can be found also

As an aside, it looks like they’ve switched their studio base from England (Bristol or bath I think?) to Warsaw

A friend works in the industry and he said several UK game shows are filmed in Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

You mean where they produce YouTube content like GCN show, Zwift content etc? I can see the rationale from production perspective, though I'd imagine this to be a lot cheaper for producing online content that broadcast quality TV (based on no objective knowledge whatsoever!), plus with the mix of indoor and outdoor content they produce (Warsaw is I imagine rather chilly at this time of year). They do non-English content also, so would it maybe the case they've moved from Germany to Warsaw for example?

No, all Eurosport TV cycling panels were filmed in England for the past number of years. Not just the YouTube/app stuff

Now they’re in Poland. Cost is obviously the key driver

• Advertisement

Going by the Cycling Podcast/ Rob Hatch, comms are still remote. Do Eurosport have studio based cycling content this time of year? I only remember the Grand Tours (and last year that had moved to London for that stupid team bus yolk). Everything else was GCN content like world of cycling.

Advertisement