Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I guess this post could be construed as unfair to Shane Jennings so let me clarify. Smith has improved from game time on the wing which makes me believe he can now take on the fullback position. When Shane gets enough game time on the wing I think he will be a fine option at fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yeah, it's a long time since I've seen him as happy in Connacht green as after his maul try on Saturday. Farrell also had a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Not much to add to what was already posted bar it was great to see a youngster step up to the plate immediately on his first start. A long way to go yet but Devine could be very special. A much needed hammering dished out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Really enjoyed being at the game on Saturday evening - the nice weather had everyone in good form, and the match was entertaining - the bit of niggle here and there was the icing on top.

However, I rewatched the first half last night, and all it did was remind me of how bad we are at clearing our lines effectively (mainly on restarts, but also in general play). For restarts, I think we've improved from a positioning/fielding perspective, but the lack of a "big boot" is killing us. It didn't really cost us on Saturday, but against decent teams it's the root cause of a lot of the scores we concede. It's unlikely they'll address it before the end of this season, but surely with some focus during the pre-season, they can identify one or two backs who can kick it consistently to around the half way line from inside our 22. As with goal kicking, it doesn't have to be the out half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭testtech05

Saw on social media that Eoin DeBuitlear seems to have had surgery on an injury and out for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

That's very cruel, just as they'd started trusting him. He was brought on at 47' against Treviso but only lasted 14 minutes before being subbed back off. Good luck to him on his recovery.

Have to think that removes any doubt about an extension for McElroy, which was probably coming anyway. I thought it was curious that DTM wasn't selected the last couple of weeks despite being available. Caution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

It just seems to be the way the management operate. They seem to be giving guys a few weeks back in full training after injury before bringing them back in

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

To me there seemed to be a deliberate strategy to not kick the ball after a restart, but to play it out of our 22. Presumably that tactic was employed because of the opposition. Led to a few hairy moments and I presume that they won't be doing that against the quality opposition we'll meet later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭testtech05

We seem to have tried it in a lot of recent games and can't say I recall any instance where it worked well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

So what your saying is 'Connacht desperately need a NIQ/IQ in the halfback position'.

Of all the Provinces, in all the land Connacht deserve/need a boost at halfback……

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-players-provinces-6361363-Apr2024/

Ben Murphy……..maybe they are just waiting to announce Beauden is also coming to Ireland, and to Ballinasloe.

I looked back at the game to try and understand what you were say saying and I get it. One of the cases was Bundee knocking on from the restart. Not sure it should have been Bundee even collecting that ball. But definitely there was an open space to be kicked into which shouldn't have been there.

Now I know we won the Zebre game but with 30 minutes gone that game could have gone either way. In fact, without Devine's sniping, we looked bog standard.

And I think that's really the concern. We can hold our own at the scrum, we can hold our own at the lineout. But we just can't do the interconnections. Everything is so, for the sake of a better word, obvious.

Unfortunately this is not something we can fix before the end of the season. So I not very positive about how things will turn out.

I suppose, if one thing has been learnt, is Tom and Bundee are our centre partnership. It took our coaching staff to figure this.

So now we know such things, can you please coach our team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Shehal

It only reason it looked questionable is because an Ulster player is directly in front of Carre to minimise how obvious the knock on was, it was a knock on and he made no attempt to regather it so its a clear penalty.

JC's knock on was inconclusive, there was no trajectory change of the ball and it's not really clear how much contact he made with the ball. Unless there is a replay showing otherwise then that is a potential knock on that is inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Sorry now Shehal. John Cooney clearly knocked that ball on in the lineout and you're only looking at it through Ulster tinted glasses.

All irrelevant as ye got the win, fair play. And I'll say no more on it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

JJ will be fit this week. Jack still out but back for Munster. Ralston and Hanson back for Munster. Cordero possibly ready for Stormers and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Jackman saying that Tom Farrell to Munster is a done deal on RTE Rugby podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Goes without saying we need 5 from this weekends game, can probably view the Stormers game as a win & in then.

Have a feeling that last minute try we conceded against Treviso will be very costly when all is said & done.

Ultimately our own fault though, getting walloped by a 14 man Lions team, not closing out the Leinster game, giving up a handy draw against Edinburgh. Just sheer naivete. The only game I think we've nicked was away at the Sharks.

Was reading an online article earlier saying both Connacht and Munster were trying to sign Piers O'Connor from Bristol. If Farrell is gone then it opens a spot for O'connor. Pity we couldn't hang on to Farrell I thought he was going to get capped internationally a couple of years back but seems to be out of favour the past few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah he got a very unfortunately timed injury, and it lined up nicely with good form from James Hume. Considering he was a semi-enforced signing during and injury crisis, he's been exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

O’Connor to Connacht and Farrell to Munster makes sense. Munster will then sign Dan Kelly next summer.

• Advertisement

Would it not make more sense for us just to hang on to Farrell?

I was thinking the same. Maybe he wants a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Shehal

I'm still to see where the evidence shows that the ball travelled forward after Cooney touched it, or if Cooney even touched it at all. Firstly I'm a Munster fan & secondly remember an entire neutral refereeing team also deemed it not to be a knock on.

Find it hilarious how some fans will try claim Carre shouldn't be penalised because it wasnt an obvious knock on when the replay clearly shows he knocked it forward and yet will say Cooney knocked on despite the evidence being totally inconclusive. Welsh rugby twitter isnt known for being very impartial and that is rubbing off on alot of fans it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Can't blame him, I'm tempted myself. I'm not one eyed enough to go south, too poor to go east and far too positive to go north. Guess I'm stuck here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I would have thought so but I think O’Connor can cover quite a few positions and Connacht have excellent depth at centre already with Forde having a great season and hopefully Gavin to come through.

Utter dipshits. Took all their selection criteria to figure out there wasn't a selection problem. Farrell leaving hurts me a lot. Complete gobshites at the helm

lets put TOH back in at fullback next weekend rather than chance our arms. What a bunch of idiots we have managing our team

am done. ElisaAtWar has left the building.Fcuking idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Evil_g

• Advertisement

This season we've tried Hawkshaw, Ralston, and Forde at 13, none of them were as good as Farrell.

Our problem is that we have a logjam at 12. Gavin has not been capped at senior level yet, so, although hopes are high, we don't know how the transition to senior rugby will go. He did play at 13 a few times for the U20s last year.

This episode is further evidence of the need for changes at management level, IMO.

Advertisement