Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hockeyed by 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lions playing great stuff to be fair to them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

Chronic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Scrappy wins over rubbish teams have papered over the cracks this season, but we have been ruthlessly exposed today. Fair play to the Lions, they have comprehensively outclassed us away from home and down a man for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thank goodness Lions haven't got all 15 on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lotta lads who don't watch Connacht were letting on we're improving. This is where we really are. Fairly brainless attacking and a calamity against any big carrying teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's a paddlin

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Pitiful.

Ralston has been beyond dire today and normally he's excellent.

Worst performance in many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,046 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not good. No brain up front porous in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They would have targeted this game as a must win to qualify. At home to the Lions. Get the gift of an early red card. Instead they produce the worst performance of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wilkins should have never got the job. And he absolutely shouldn’t have gotten a three year contract as people said at the time. Unambitious appointment without any vision. Took the easy option and Connacht will pay for it.

Long way back from that for Wilkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Wilkins fluked a play-off last year and we'll be stuck with him as a result for the next couple of seasons sadly. He's not the only issue but he's a fairly big and expensive one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Daft comments from a head coach. After today's performance, would Wilkins consider following Kilgallen to Munster as well? I wouldn't stand in his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The other results couldn't have gone any better for Connacht earlier today and it really opened the door for us but from the off we were completely dominated in all aspects.

I thought that once again we'd be bailed out by a red card for the opposition but the chickens came home to roost this evening. Lions were more than comfortable in all aspects of the game. They never really looked stretched while once again we looked like we rounded up 15 lads on the morning of the game.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. If I was Kilgallen I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I'm getting out of Connacht and any other player with irish ambitions should follow him if they don't want to waste the next two years of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What a tremendous performance from the Gauteng Lions...full of guts and pride which could be seen in their defensive effort throughout - especially when down a man....the South African sides have been a superb addition to the league....such a breath of fresh air...

As for Connacht, absolutely pathetic showing. ...possibly would have gotten away with that shìte against the welsh or zebre...but ruthlessly and comprehensively exposed tonight....

Scott Fardy and Muldoon wont get a wink of sleep after that-not too mention Wilkins.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lavrenti

Not just the worst performance of the season, but of the last three seasons. Clueless and spineless in a way. I've backed JJ's selection over Jack Carty this season based on his superior kicking, but today he had a shocker, as did Blade inside him, and the centres (particularly Hawkshaw) outside him. Only Smith of the backs selected had anything to offer. Those two break outs in the last 5mins, both bungled by there being either no support runners or the incorrect pass sent to the wrong support runner was sub-AIL. Awful stuff.

Only a win away to Benetton now will save our season. Jansen must be selected at 8, and we need to find room somewhere in the 23 for Butler's calmheadedness - none of which anyone showed today. Both Murrays were poor, but Niall maybe has enough credit in the bank to get selected in the 23.

Finally Aki and Bealham must play. No more fuckology about rest. Our season hinges on getting a result in Italy.

Hmmm yeah.

We really should be pushing in the summer to get one of the Byrnes over here. Jack's contract is what it is, but we're being hurt massively by subpar 10s.

Disappointing that despite our apparent focus on fitness during the 6 nations and numeric advantage, we appeared to be the more tired team towards the end. Perhaps we would have been better served playing a friendly or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Slightly off topic but heard a rumour at Young Munster match that Munster are in talks with Tom Daly for next year, seems a strange signing if true.

Is he confirmed as leaving Connacht

• Advertisement

Not confirmed but out of contract and very much out of favour. Would be a good depth option for Munster imo, we have just moved on from him in favour of Forde.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Shocking performance today. I think we have a good squad of players.

Imo this is a coaching issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

From a Munster POV makes sense if as it looks Antoine Frisch will be leaving (at late notice) to a Top 14 club now that he will prob be with France in the summer and thus become NIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I agree but is it all on Wilkins or are the other coaches not up to scratch ? Team selection is always changing and not very settled. The players look like they don't know what to do most of the time. It's tough to watch what is probably our best squad ever be mismanaged so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

That is so not true in my opinion. I thought Ralston was the standout player in the back 3. I remain unconvinced about the Hawkshaw Forde partnership which can only be described as porous. I thought that Carty offered a lot more than JJ when he came on.

And the most bizarre thing was when JJ went off, clearly from concussion, and he nearly tripped over himself going down the gangway to the dressing rooms with absolutely no Connacht support staff in attendance with him. Now that was just poor from the Connacht staff.

I know my critiques can be harsh but I know that critique is purely out of frustration. Caolin was so slow again today it would drive you mental.

And you could see a bit of what the coaching staff were trying to do with JJ linking with a player and taking the return pass. But it was so obvious.

There is talent in this team but good God it is not been unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I can’t remember when I saw so many people leaving with 15 minutes to go.

Very disappointing performance but I always feel that bailing out before the final whistle is poor form.

The timing of the season ticket renewals isn’t great….

I noticed that also. I don't like to see that but today was a complete arse spanking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kita99

I think the victory of Lions might bebecause of the effect of high altitude training. The altitude of their base Pretoria is about 1750m, so air is very thin. It's effectiveness cannot continues so long time. In Last season, they fought against Connacht 4 weeks after coming to europe, so they were not strong. This year, Connacht was unlucky at last night.

Advertisement