Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

There again it could be Tom Farrell to Munster. I think Munster would be very happy to have him. It would be a good move for him as well.

Have to say I was disappointed in Wilkins comments about Kilgallens move to Munster. To say he would see more game time on the wing for Munster is disingenuous. Hansen and Kilgallen would be our first choice wingers so to say something like that is simply not true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Can't agree with that. Byron Ralston has played literally every single minute he's been available this season, he's the very definition of first choice. Even with Kilgallen leaving we have Smith, Bolton, and Jennings in the senior squad pushing for his spot and the likes of Mullins and Treacy in the academy. We are incredibly stocked in the back 3. Munster are not, hence they have had Sean O'Brien (a centre) playing on the wing for much of the season.

This season we had 11 senior back 3s contracted and 5 more in the academy. Munster had 7+2, including Colm Hogan who signed a short term contract and hasn't played a minute. Wilkins is just objectively correct imo and of all the things to criticise him for, this isn't one. Perhaps you could criticise him for over stocking on outside backs to the point that losing talent was inevitable.

Not sure I agree with you. TOH has been the locked in full back for some time now which suggests none of the players you mention are even challenging his position. And on the wings it was always Kilgallen and Hansen. Ralston was always a utility player who covered wing and centre.

I suspect we will lose Daly and Farrell this year at centre which we leave us down to bare bones. I'm not a Hawkshaw fan which means we have nothing coming through there other than an U20 option.

And of course we still have to deal with the elephant in the room which would suggest next season could be somewhat bothersome

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Have one main stand ticket for sale for tomorrow game. Sell at below cost price. DM if interested.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

TOH has been flogged because Cordero got injured in the preseason.

I imagine the plan was for TOH & Cordero to 'platoon' (to borrow an American phrase) the FB position.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kita99

I agree above comment '6-2' splitis risky. Ireland was defeated by England using 6-2 splits. When Nash was injured, there is no winger.

The opponent has scrum-strong FWs and youg SH is very agile and speedy. For Connacht, this will be difficult team. Connacht seems to emphasis the mobility(in spite of bad weather) using not SHL at the starter but Oliver who has been conceded many penalties including a card. Please take care it. I hope Connacht will take advantage of home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lavrenti

Kilgallen has made his bed by departing for Munster and should be given only minimal time between now and the end of the season. Smith, Ralston, and TOH are the current first choice back three, with Bolton, Porch, Mack, Cordero, and Jennings gradually coming back after injury to offer cover. Interesting times when a player has to leave Connacht for Munster to get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

Great results for us today with Benetton and Ulster losing.

Need to capitalize with a win of any kind.

• Advertisement

Some good results elsewhere with Ulster, Benetton, and Edinburgh all losing. Need to do our part now, absolute must win game with some tough games to come at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Any win today means we would end this round in 5th and only be 1 or 2,depending on BP or not, points off Munster in 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

3 Connacht players as pundits on RTE!??! Pretty sure that's one of the signs of the apocalypse! Someone in Montrose will be getting their P45!

How am I meant to enjoy a Connacht game if I can watch it without Heaslip or O'Callahan sneering down their nose at the match?

Dreadful start. Got a bit unlucky that a blatant deliberate knock on was missed around midfield but we've really compounded errors since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Connacht have to get the TBP win now

Good decision by Evans there I think. Oliver's height could have given him an out but as he pointed out there was no change in height, he was low from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Seems like the Lions having a player red carded has rattled Connacht more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Really struggling against 14 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

Great dive by joyce , Evans swallowed it nicely

Struggling to find words to describe how abject that first half was. Absolute drek. Unforced error after unforced error - needless penalties, kick off put dead, missed touch from a penalty. Got away with one there I think, Joyce was barely touched.

• Advertisement

Played like they thought the extra man would win the game for them by itself. Lions have just upped the work rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Woeful 40 minutes. Lions looking very comfortable you wouldn't think they had 14. Utterly clueless by Connacht once again. All to do.

Thought Prendergast got away with one also for the try, surely he was part of the ruck?

What is Ralston doing there? The Lions had not 1 but 2 players up in the line. That pass should never have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Redo91

This is shocking. Against 14 and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Connacht playing tag here

That tackling is pathetic. Straight through the middle and straight through two tacklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great broken field running from the Lions 13, but that's atrocious tackling from Connacht. Have they scored all four trys when down a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

3 of the 4

Connacht are just all over the place tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Embarrasing

Advertisement